Author Topic: Post Your Artwork Thread V6  (Read 307930 times)

pineyappled

Re: Post Your Artwork Thread V6
« Reply #600 on: September 18, 2015, 05:00:33 AM »
http://imgur.com/0pJIJcm.png

also friendly reminder that making tenshi black is poc erasure (◕‿◕✿)

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #601 on: September 19, 2015, 01:41:42 AM »
Really? I can see things rather clearly on my end. Could you be more specific about applying contrast?

http://imgur.com/0pJIJcm.png

also friendly reminder that making tenshi black is poc erasure (◕‿◕✿)

How would I go about applying those tones? I've seen the idea of applying various tones, but no specifics on actually doing that. Btw, it shouldn't be a problem that I drew Tenshi black; people often draw fanart of characters with altered physical properties, yet that's not a big deal.  : p I appreciate your intent, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:44:26 AM by Chocolate Lemon »

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #602 on: September 19, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »
people often draw fanart of characters with altered physical properties, yet that's not a big deal.  : p I appreciate your intent, though.
It's much worse if you do it the other way.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #603 on: September 19, 2015, 04:50:59 AM »
poc erasure (◕‿◕✿)
I don't understand you.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Teewee

« Reply #604 on: September 19, 2015, 01:59:34 PM »
Please, let's not have this argument here ^^;

pineyappled

« Reply #605 on: September 19, 2015, 07:29:07 PM »
tenshi's not white
Spoiler:
sweatie

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #606 on: September 19, 2015, 07:56:33 PM »
How would I go about applying those tones? I've seen the idea of applying various tones, but no specifics on actually doing that. Btw, it shouldn't be a problem that I drew Tenshi black; people often draw fanart of characters with altered physical properties, yet that's not a big deal.  : p I appreciate your intent, though.
The main problem you appear to be having when shading darker skinned characters is that you still shade them like lighter skinned characters.  This is true of all objects, but it's pretty noticeable on skin if you stare at photos long enough: the way to make a light object look more 3D is to pay attention to the shadows.  The way to make a dark object look more 3D is to pay more attention to the highlights.  The increased contrast is what gives it the illusion of 3D.

So, let's take that to your drawings.  From what I've seen of your drawings you seem to understand how to shade lighter skinned people.  It's just rather than seeing it as how you shade lighter skinned people, you take it as how to shade people.  So when you transfer the same technique over to your dark skinned characters, they look much flatter because there's just so much dark.  So let's take another look at the reference Kinoko posted.  How many of those shadows do you really see clearly?  I'm betting you see the one on the right cheek (our left) and on the right side of the nose.  But what about the ones on the chin?  The brow bone?  The cheeks?  Those are all shadows still, you just don't see them as clearly because the base color of her skin is already quite dark.  Let's take a look at the skin tone you seem to like to draw too.  On this one the shadows are even more muted and the highlights even more obvious.  So, the important thing to remember here is that with dark skinned people the highlights are more important than the shadows.

So how do you apply that to your own drawings?  Look at some faces and see how the highlights and shadows work.  It'll take you a little bit of time, but eventually you'll know where you should put the highlights on your dark skinned characters. 
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #607 on: September 20, 2015, 07:31:22 AM »
How about a pouty Russian composer?

My art style has really been emulating that of November's lately. Is that bad? :(

Teewee

« Reply #608 on: September 20, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
The main problem you appear to be having when shading darker skinned characters is that you still shade them like lighter skinned characters.  This is true of all objects, but it's pretty noticeable on skin if you stare at photos long enough: the way to make a light object look more 3D is to pay attention to the shadows.  The way to make a dark object look more 3D is to pay more attention to the highlights.  The increased contrast is what gives it the illusion of 3D.

So, let's take that to your drawings.  From what I've seen of your drawings you seem to understand how to shade lighter skinned people.  It's just rather than seeing it as how you shade lighter skinned people, you take it as how to shade people.  So when you transfer the same technique over to your dark skinned characters, they look much flatter because there's just so much dark.  So let's take another look at the reference Kinoko posted.  How many of those shadows do you really see clearly?  I'm betting you see the one on the right cheek (our left) and on the right side of the nose.  But what about the ones on the chin?  The brow bone?  The cheeks?  Those are all shadows still, you just don't see them as clearly because the base color of her skin is already quite dark.  Let's take a look at the skin tone you seem to like to draw too.  On this one the shadows are even more muted and the highlights even more obvious.  So, the important thing to remember here is that with dark skinned people the highlights are more important than the shadows.

So how do you apply that to your own drawings?  Look at some faces and see how the highlights and shadows work.  It'll take you a little bit of time, but eventually you'll know where you should put the highlights on your dark skinned characters.

Thank you very much for the constructive advice, Kitten4u. Next time I make a pic of a dark-skinned person, I'll refer back to it :) I'd go right to doing as you said, but I worked on the pic for over 50 hours, so I'm rather fatigued ^^; Anyway, here's the end result. I'll be uploading a light-skin version to dA later, in case anyone might want to see that.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #609 on: October 02, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »

Teewee

« Reply #610 on: October 02, 2015, 01:20:52 PM »
She's beautiful! Dat hair and painting style :>

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #611 on: October 02, 2015, 06:20:01 PM »
I was about to say a cross necklace would be a nice touch, but then I realized Bach was a devout Christian, yes, but a Lutheran. For some reason I always thought Catholic because he wrote masses and stuff.
Massive talent(s), haha. I also always associated the color green with him, so awesome. Or at least I'm assuming this is JS and not CPE...
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #612 on: October 09, 2015, 01:22:14 PM »
Yep, it's JS. She's like the Disgust of the group, she loves to fuss over tiny details and does not react well to substandard work. At the end of the day, all this pedantry pays off, though. Frederick the Great can testify.

Perhaps I should just make a separate Symphonia art thread... xD

^Frederic Chopin

draganuv15

« Reply #613 on: October 30, 2015, 04:06:03 PM »
casually posts twitter doodles since i havent posted here in like a month or two (x) (x)

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #614 on: October 31, 2015, 02:39:37 AM »
casually posts twitter doodles since i havent posted here in like a month or two (x) (x)
That Reimu's hair looks really soft.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #615 on: November 03, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »
Guess who just joined a new fandom? ;P

And here we go:

Hecatia Lapis Lazuli needed a friend, you see.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 05:11:03 PM by Abraham Lincoln »

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
« Reply #616 on: December 01, 2015, 08:29:30 AM »
Been busy doing school work and attending to IRL things, leaving me not much time to do art (which upsets me a lot; gotta keep it up you know?).

To try to get back into the natural swing of things such as sprites, I've been working on some pokemon mystery dungeon sprites to get a better grasp of pixel art and how to simplify things. And I've been playing Super Mystery Dungeon a lot the past few days between classes :p

(WIPs) All gen 5 and 6; stuff from GtI as well. If they ever figure out how to hack the mystery dungeon games and have tools available, I'd love to make gen 5-6 sprites for a hack.
I can never get the shading down quite well, nor how to position eyes (can't figure out how the hell to do Espurr's eyes).

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #617 on: December 05, 2015, 04:02:41 AM »

fondue

• excuse me
« Reply #618 on: December 18, 2015, 12:27:02 AM »
have a song thats probably still a wip http://puu.sh/lZzSi/04f75a2af3.mp3

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #619 on: January 24, 2016, 01:07:47 AM »

« Reply #620 on: January 28, 2016, 05:16:30 AM »
http://40.media.tumblr.com/ce34d97309f5677fabd258d14664ad43/tumblr_o12ttll4Ej1uvmbl5o1_1280.png
Here's a Yuugi I drew a few days ago. I noticed I forgot those triangles at the end of Yuugi’s skirt but I think I might burned myself out trying to figure out how to get them to look right if I tried to do it now ^^;;
Other than that any thoughts or criticisms? Maybe advice on shading or lining?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 12:15:16 PM by flipflopity »

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #621 on: February 07, 2016, 06:23:00 AM »

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #622 on: February 08, 2016, 09:14:34 AM »
Other than that any thoughts or criticisms? Maybe advice on shading or lining?
My random thoughts.
The skirt looks a little too uninteresting in my opinion, how it just kind of folds around her like a plastic bag.
Since you asked about shading, I can't tell where the light source is coming from. Most of the metallic bangles seem to indicate it's coming from the right somewhere, except that one one her left arm. It could be explained away as reflections from her white shirt, but there should still probably be some light from the right too. Also don't forget that the bangles have another plane on them. You shade the big flat side but seem to have missed the top/bottoms of them. The shading on her body on the other hand seems to imply that the light source is coming from above. Shading on her left arm makes it seem like it's concaving in on itself instead of, say, bulging outwards. Hair also seems to imply light source from right. Shadows on ground seem to imply light source from behind to the right. Where the left leg/thigh connects to the hips also looks weird though I can't give a solid say on it since I haven't gotten to that part of my studies yet.
You seem to be comfortable with full body poses though, so good for you.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2016, 09:36:39 PM »
Didn't think I'd ever be posting here since someone could knock over a can of paint and produce something better than I could but hey, I found a reason. Here's a 32x32 Youmu sprite I made for a game I'm trying to make:

Actual size is top left, the bigger one is 9x bigger I think. Since I've never done sprite art stuff in my life, does anyone have any comments/criticism about this? I know the hair ornament 4x4 black square could be better but anything else? Also anyone know any good tutorials for spriting in this size?
edit: also, disregard the lack of the sword sheaths

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #624 on: February 15, 2016, 11:21:46 PM »
youmu pixel
If you want to get some solid advice and perspective on pixel art, I would suggest checking out wayofthepixel.net
Here is their general pixel art board where most people post and get critiques and advice. Here you can find their archived threads where there was very noticeable activity and improvement on the part of the OP, very worth checking out. And then here is their thread on tools and various tutorials, also worth looking through.
Even if you don't make an account, just lurking around can prove very insightful.

I can try give you some critiques right now though. First of all, you're using way too many colors, all you need is a base, shadow, and highlight color, just 3. I think I'm seeing like 5 colors on that hair, that's way too much, especially for such a small sprite. All that detail is going to be lost. You're also missing an outline, I can hardly tell where Youmu's head ends and where the grey background of the forum begins. In order to make the sprite stand out in any context, do an outline. The black square hair ribbon also sticks out like a sore thumb because it's the only shape that's entirely solid and angular compared to everything else.

Here is a really general, all-around tutorial that will greatly help you, on PixelJoint. Just ignore that section on sel-out, and don't bring it up on wayofthepixel since it's a bit of a controversial (and already more than dealt with) topic, with the general opinion there being that it's an erroneous, bad technique.

Color palettes always fascinated me when it came to pixel art. This tutorial starts to explain some basic color picking choices. Specifically, the idea of 'color ramps' in particular were really fascinating. This thread has a few posts explaining it, as does this thread. From the not many I've seen pixel artists, I've become a big fan of syosa, and there's a small interview with him here where he also talks a bit about color ramps and it's all really interesting and cool. Definitely check it out.

And finally, this is a really cool interactive online tool on developing a color palette.

e: oh, and I thought this gif, also by syosa, was a really cool way to show his process when developing pixel animations. I think it's way further down the road, but it's really neat and may perhaps motivate you to continue working on your pixel art.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 11:28:05 PM by Меа »

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #625 on: February 16, 2016, 06:55:26 PM »
helpful stuffs
Thank you for digging me out of the "I have no idea what I'm doing" hole.

Abraham Lincoln

• Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #626 on: April 03, 2016, 01:57:53 PM »

Work in progress, what do you think? :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 02:00:51 PM by Abraham Lincoln »

« Reply #627 on: April 24, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
looks really good tbh

Abraham Lincoln