Author Topic: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"  (Read 87912 times)

Re: New official manga announced, "Forbidden Scrollery"
« Reply #120 on: December 15, 2012, 05:32:29 PM »
It's just sound effects. byuu, mokumokumoku, gugu, suuu, mukumukumuku, byooo, zozozo, gogogo, and the likes.

Incidentally, what would the sound of smoke be in English?

« Reply #121 on: December 15, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Fwoosh, woosh, and pshhhhhhh?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #122 on: December 25, 2012, 01:38:33 PM »
Merry Christmas! Even while you are busy for Christmas, and waiting for Comiket 83, don’t forget that we are getting both WaHH and FS this month, as spoilers for a new chapter of Forbidden Scrollery are already coming out.
Only if you don't consider the aspect of the fact that electric lamps may be functioning in the human village thanks to the power network that most likely had been established thanks to the Moriya Shrine, the kappa, and the Utusho creating a power soruce that I guess by now has reached the human village.

Still, they're probably a rare thing though, since most modern products like that don't make it to Gensokyo very easily. Though there's always the kappa. Just another example of Gensokyo slowly adopting some modern influences that would otherwise be kept away from it. And to think, the Moriya Shrine and most of youkai Mountain achieved this in 4 years.
To think about it a bit more seriously, the lamp is quite old-fashioned. If the human village’s electricity is brought in by Kanako, she would definitely try to also import modern technology. LED lamps are superior to light bulbs in every way, and even if, say, Gensokyo doesn’t yet have the capacity to produce LEDs, she would still import modern light bulbs rather than a 19th century model. Obsolete products drifting in is the natural order of Gensokyo, while Kanako's intention is to accelerate Gensokyo's technological progress.

It’s not very likely the electricity has anything to do with her work. Instead, I see it as ZUN staying true to what he said in one public talk a few years ago: Gensokyo has electricity.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 01:43:41 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #123 on: December 25, 2012, 07:54:52 PM »
Also, Akyu's had a working record player long before Subteranean Animism.

Drake

« Reply #124 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:34 PM »
Probably needed to be cranked, I'd imagine.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

achicken

• A Random Chicken Passing By
  • Das Nunstuck Git Und Slotermeyer
« Reply #125 on: January 02, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »
The thing about Akyuu is that she "seems to like FM synth music", which would not be possible to create in a pre-telecoms age, and even if somehow drifted in from the outside world, would not be possible to play without some steampunkish imagination.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #126 on: January 02, 2013, 05:22:51 AM »
The thing about Akyuu is that she "seems to like FM synth music", which would not be possible to create in a pre-telecoms age, and even if somehow drifted in from the outside world, would not be possible to play without some steampunkish imagination.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaares

Protip: Lyrica Prismriver

« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:48 PM »
Hey, it looks like Kosuzu might end up unleashing something that might actually be serious!  Although it'd be hilarious if it turned out to basically be a really ferocious acting Kogasa Tatara-ish youkai or so. :P

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2013, 04:55:24 AM »
On page 15 Kosuzu has ears. Is that some kind of joke or is she a bake danuki in that interaction (because that would be really weird). 

Also, Reimu wears two hats, consequences will never be the same.

Drake

« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »
animu gag

Man though Kosuzu either actually wants to summon this thing for a purpose or she's just really really dumb.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2013, 07:02:10 AM »
animu gag

Man though Kosuzu either actually wants to summon this thing for a purpose or she's just really really dumb.
Or maybe she wants to summon the thing on purpose because she's dumb? :V

« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2013, 01:56:31 PM »
On page 15 Kosuzu has ears. Is that some kind of joke or is she a bake danuki in that interaction (because that would be really weird).

She's hissing like a cat. It's just to show what her reaction seems like to Reimu and Marisa. ...maybe I should have translated the sound effects in that panel.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:00:00 PM by Clarste »

« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2013, 05:19:31 PM »
Well, she did already say that even if she does summon something, Reimu can just take care of it. Which of course from a narrative perspective means that whatever she ends up ultimately  summoning will probably be way out of Reimu's league.

I figure she's just spoiled into extreme naivete by Gensokyo's current golden age, and possibly her own powers clouding her judgement or affecting her personality. Honestly, personality-wise, she seems more like a Touhou youkai than a human to me since she's so... capricious and not-serious. Sanae at least has the excuse of being from the outside world. I suppose to put it into perspective, Sanae's an anime fan who entered a world of anime while Kosuzu's an anime fan BORN into a world of anime. Assuming she's from the latest generation of Gensokyo after the spell card rules have been long established, I think Kosuzu's used to youkai who only play evil instead of actually are evil along with a shrine maiden that can just solve everything anyways, and thus it doesn't dawn on her that something seriously bad could happen.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 05:24:21 PM by Tiamat »

« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:52 PM »
I wonder what are the chances she will eventually get somebody killed.

I also wonder what are the chances this scenario happens and she cares not for that at all

Would be pretty fun to see a human antagonist for once, eh?

Kosachi

• Te-Te-Te-Te-Tenko
  • Hinanai Tenko~
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2013, 09:33:09 PM »
Would be pretty fun to see a human antagonist for once, eh?
Well, there was Yumemi. :V
I finally got ahead!

Imosa

« Reply #135 on: March 11, 2013, 10:46:33 PM »
I don't see Kosuzu being an antagonist but I do like the idea of a human antagonist.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #136 on: March 11, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »
I don't see Kosuzu being an antagonist but I do like the idea of a human antagonist.
...the last game had a human antagonist. :V

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #137 on: March 11, 2013, 11:55:25 PM »
I say it's not unreasonable to expect a new human villager boss in HM: human village matters too much for the story to not employ their POVs, and since there's only one known human village danmaku fighter in Keine so far, at least another is needed, preferrably someone who opposes Keine's beliefs - the secret society from BAiJR, for instance.

Or she could be listening to some special limited print run vinyl records of FM synth.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 12:40:16 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2013, 04:44:07 AM »
Perhaps somebody trying to establish an anarchy in the human village?  Would kind of sound like those silly villain archetypes "I WILL CONQUER THE ENTIRE VILLAGE" though hahaha.

But yeeah I suppose that we had plenty former-human-antagonists in the previous games.  And Yumemi. 

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »
...the last game had a human antagonist. :V
To be precise, Miko's a saint, though she used to be human.

Anyway, we already have Yumemi as a human antagonist, unless you want one in the Windows series...

« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2013, 05:07:10 PM »

Her status as a hermit seems significantly more relevant.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2013, 05:57:56 PM »
Both of those make her about as inhuman as Marisa.

EDIT: Do Lunarians count as human antagonists?

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2013, 06:07:33 PM »

He was actually referring to Reimu.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2013, 08:40:49 PM »
Kosuzu becoming an instant Mamizou fangirl is the funniest thing, I swear.

« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2013, 01:41:02 AM »
Thing about humans in Touhou is that if they get a special abillity or whatever else and it gets out of hand enough, they end up becoming youkai. Or mistakeable enough for one (see: Ichrin, Renko's commentary about Maribel, and various comments by people about Marisa and Sanae). Which is what I meant to imply with my comment about Kosuzu's power possibly causing her youkai-like personality.

Imosa

« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2013, 01:50:05 AM »
Thing about humans in Touhou is that if they get a special abillity or whatever else and it gets out of hand enough, they end up becoming youkai. Or mistakeable enough for one (see: Ichrin, Renko's commentary about Maribel, and various comments by people about Marisa and Sanae). Which is what I meant to imply with my comment about Kosuzu's power possibly causing her youkai-like personality.
Oh god, I would love if the story became a documentary chronicling Kosuzu's transformation into a youkai. I want Kosuzu to go through the rejection from her friends and family, changing eating habits, physical self-abuse, a Patchouli phase, and of course, concluding with her eating a human and having to fight her former idol, Reimu. Yup, this is going to be awesome.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2013, 04:04:01 AM »
Patchouli phase? ???

Drake

« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2013, 04:44:09 AM »
Kosuzu becoming an instant Mamizou fangirl is the funniest thing, I swear.
FS has catapulted Mamizou up on my favorite Touhou character ranking. All you saw of her during 10D was a snarky old tanuki that was sort of just playing on the protag's naivety.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 04:45:56 AM by Drake »

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2013, 08:18:00 AM »
Both of those make her about as inhuman as Marisa.

EDIT: Do Lunarians count as human antagonists?
I think humans in Touhou refer to ordinary humans with roots from Earth.

Imosa

« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2013, 10:07:54 PM »
Patchouli phase? ???
It's when she identifies with the biggest bibliophile in Gensokyo and ends up acting, and dressing like her to the point of pretending she has asthma.