Author Topic: Touhou Fantasy [New Topic]  (Read 225896 times)

Xenomic

• T.G. "Thunder God" Xenomic
    • Xenomic's Lair
Re: Touhou Fantasy [New Topic]
« Reply #660 on: July 16, 2016, 03:56:45 AM »
Yeah, that's the difficult part of deciding on the two. It is easier to balance, that's for sure, but making sure they appear when they won't break the game is another thing. The POSSIBLE earliest you could obtain them (since the HP/MP boosts are only on accessories) are from the SDM at the start of beta2 after you get Marisa back, since there's a +10% Max HP, +10% Max MP, and a +20% Max HP/MP accessory in that hidden room. The next chance is possibly after getting Nitori (very unlikely since it takes a lot to get all the materials), and then after that the next chance is at Road of Reconsideration. After I get the coding fixed up, then I'll see about whether or not to go with fixed, %, or both.

For the record, if you're curious, the "fixed" values would be +500 HP on the first +HP accessory, up to +2500 on the highest one, +20 MP on first +MP accessory, up to +100 on final one, and then +250 HP/+10 MP on first +HP/MP accessory, up to +1250 HP/+50 MP on the last one (if it has 5, which I don't think it does).

On that note, I forgot that I needed one more skill for Hope's version of Death's skillset. Whoops! I need to do that before I continue on with the game. On that note, I ALSO need to update Hope's version of Pestilence's skillset. So here's what I have for each of those:

For Death:

*Extinction: Costs 100% MP. Kills all enemies (excluding bosses) and ignores resistances, kills all allies, and leaves Hope at 1 HP.
*Doomja: Inflicts Doom on all enemies. Starting timer varies. 30% accuracy.

Only one of these can make it in. Doomja's easier to code, but less interesting I feel, while Extinction, whilst being really freaking powerful, is also really costly on resources and the like (1-Ups (revives with 10% Max HP) and Bs (restores 100 MP) cost 500 yen each, and Ps cost 200 yen and restore 200 HP. That adds up after a while, and that doesn't include using MP for recovery too. Extinction also wouldn't be too hard to code. Of note, both would require yet another battle event page to do. Extinction could POTENTIALLY be given to Chaos's or Pestilence's skillset for Hope too, if all else fails.

Pestilence:

Current skillset is this:

Fear: Inflicts Fear: 50 turns to one target. 16 MP.
POW Hammer: Inflicts Debrave: 50 turns to one target. 8 MP.
Deprotect: Inflicts Deprotect: 50 turns to one target. 12 MP.
Defaith: Inflicts Defaith: 50 turns to one target. 8 MP.
?????: Unused slot.
Bleed: Inflicts Sap: 50 to one target. ??? MP.
Mind Bleed: Inflicts MP Sap: 50 to one target. ??? MP.
Lock: Inflicts Lock: 50 turns to one target. ??? MP.

And the three abilities you must choose from once you get the skillset:

Reverse: Reverses statuses with the complete opposite version (i.e. Poison becomes Regen, Regen becomes Poison) to the party. 50 MP.
????: Unused slot.
Diseased Tempest: Pestilence's Limit Break, requires Hope to be under 25% Max HP and a 10% chance each turn to show up. Inflicts 1500 Wind-elemental magic damage, Fear: 50 turns, Debrave: 50 turns, Deprotect: 50 turns, Defaith: 50 turns, Sap: 50 turns, MP Sap: 50 turns, and Lock: 50 turns to all enemies. 100 MP.

Of note, Diseased Tempest and Reverse are staying for Pesti's skillset. The rest needs updated badly I feel, since they're...kinda not that useful? I still want to make the skillset very status-oriented though, so that's going to be interesting.

*Disease: Halves status resistances on all enemies for a set amount of time. This is actually something that I'm debating if I want to do. I mean, I would LIKE to, don't get me wrong, but dealing with status resistances for enemies OR allies is...really cumbersome due to how many statuses there are unfortunately.
*Pox Alleviate: Removes all statuses from Hope and heals her based on number of statuses removed. This would be one of the three abilities you could choose from.

So, any ideas for skills to give to Hope for these two skillsets in particular??

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #661 on: July 17, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »
Still working on skillsets right now. I think I have a solid one for Hope's Pestilence skillset, but may need input on it.

*Banescissor: Inflicts Poison-elemental physical damage and Poison: 25, Sap: 25, MP Sap: 25, and Venom: 25 to one target.
*Bad Breath: Inflicts Poison: 25 turns, Blind: 25 turns, Silence: 25 turns, and Slow: 25 turns to one target.
*Stone Breath: Inflicts Earth-elemental magic damage and Petrify: 25 turns to all enemies.
*Wither Shot: Inflicts non-elemental physical damage and Fear: 25 turns to one target.
*????
**Pox Alleviate: Removes all statuses from Hope and heals her based on number of statuses removed
**Seven Sins:
**Diseased Tempest: Inflicts 1500 Poison-elemental damage, Poison: oo, Blind: oo, Silence: oo, Lock: oo, Fear: oo, Sap: oo, MP Sap: oo, and Slow: oo to all enemies. Requires Hope to be under 25% Max HP and a 10% chance per turn to show up.

The ** ones are ones that must be picked upon getting the skillset. Not sure what Seven Sins should do, but it should be really good to be picked. The last ???? ability is one of the normal abilities that is always accessible when in that skillset. Keep in mind that these skills cannot be used outside of Pestilence's skillset, so if Hope goes into another mode, she won't have access to these abilities!

I still need one more ability for Death's skillset too. There's an idea for it, which is this:

*Extinction: Costs 100% MP. Kills all enemies (excluding bosses) and ignores resistances, kills all allies, and leaves Hope at 1 HP.

But I'm debating if it's better for Death's skillset to have it or if Chaos should get it. Hmm...

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #662 on: July 20, 2016, 07:10:45 AM »

And the animation is done! Looks amazing, no? Hopefully Graphicus will keep on-board for the rest!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:34:55 PM by Xenomic »

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
« Reply #663 on: July 20, 2016, 01:47:41 PM »

And the animation is done! Looks amazing, no? Hopefully Graphicus will keep on-board for the rest!
Link is broke... DX
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #664 on: July 20, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
Fixed. Darn trying to link from Download...

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #665 on: July 29, 2016, 08:46:43 PM »
So, I've been discussing my game with someone over on another forums. They think that it'd just be better to move my game over to a more recent program, such as MV. However, obviously I do not have the money to buy such an extravagant thing (and I don't particularly like the idea of having to be on Steam to even use a program...). I did get the trial version to see how it differed from 2k3, and I can see quite a few differences in it that I like. Being able to check monster statuses is a big plus, but also having built-in Encounter Half, Encounter None, Double Gold, Double Item Drop Rate, Pre-Emptive Strike Up, Nullify Back Attack, MP Cost Rates, Hit Rate adjustments, Item healing, forcing action, built-in Cover, etc. are all something that I really, really wish default 2k3 had. I mean, yes, there's DynRPG which I use, and it has been a great tool for my game.

However, would it be wise at this point in time to even TRY to transfer a 8-9 year old game, 40+ hours worth of gameplay, roughly 70-80% finished, to a newer maker at this point? I understand where the person is coming from, 2k3 IS really outdated and there are glaring issues with the maker that makes my game in particular kinda...jarring to play and really outdated?? But imagining all the work I'd have to do put everything back in, IF I could (I don't know if 2k3 sprites and tiles would work with MV, and I don't know what things from DynRPG I would lose transferring over. Add onto that that I don't know anything about scripting and that kinda kills some things here and there. And oh god putting in all the skills and enemies and maps and characters and auuuugh!!). I don't know, I just need opinions on the matter...

« Reply #666 on: July 30, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »
Well to me it seems you really want to finish this project and move on to do other things. So if you approach the problem with the mindset of "how to get this game done the way I want and be motivated to do so", would the shiny new tools in the new MV give you the push to sort out any issues the version swap would cause? Or would you rather just slug it out with the 2k3 to the very end and perhaps start a new project with a newer maker?

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #667 on: July 30, 2016, 08:21:56 PM »
The problem is, as many people over on RPGMaker.net have pointed out, is that most people that go this far in their projects and then decide to port over, never finish their projects. Sure, a lot of the tools in MV would be really REALLY nice (my god, some of the tools would be...), and I AM doing things in 2k3 that it's not meant to be doing (Changing attribute/status resists in battle, the game clock, the Provoke skills, and probably things like the +% stat boosting equipment too), but to move everything over would be problematic. Even moreso if none of the resources I have worked in the other engines (MV uses 46x46 instead of 38x38 or something like that for sprites).

So yeah, I've decided to just stick with 2k3 and try to finish it there. I'd LIKE to start a new project on the newer maker (mentioned earlier in this topic being the Neptunia styled game using Hope and the others, as well as a few other OCs, no characters from any other sources), but whether or not I'll actually do that is up in the air...

On the plus side, I THINK I know what I want to do with Reimaden. If you're familiar with Tales of Symphonia, there's a dungeon (the Mausoleum) where you have 6 pedastals, 5 in a star shape with one in the middle, and activating them in a specific order will open up 3 different paths (one of which you have to go, the other two are treasures). There's hints in the previous room (the dungeon is like 3 rooms big), and there's damaging traps there, but the hints are so vague that they don't help at all. I'm thinking of reusing that puzzle, but better. I don't know if there will be damaging traps or not yet, but I do want to use the star-shaped pedastals and the activating in the right order to progress forward. This would be how you would open the main door in the front foyer on the 2nd floor, but inputting other combinations will open up other rooms in the mansion for other goodies (I'm thinking some good stuff like the Magic Armlet (20 DEF/MAG, Magic/Absorb Resist Up), Sage Armlet (56 DEF, 40 MAG), Circlet (88 DEF, 50 MAG, Water/Wind Resist Up), Wizard Hat (48 MAG, Magic/Absorb Resist Up), and Spell Charm (50 MAG, Magic/Ghost/Absorb Resist Up) will probably be the rewards for inputting the other correct things). I also don't know if the pedastals will all be in one room or scattered across the entire dungeon but still in a star-shaped formation. I want to say just one room, but I still don't know how I'll handle the layout of the rest of the dungeon yet, nor other details. I hate mapping bah...

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #668 on: August 06, 2016, 12:43:23 AM »
Well, gonna stick with 2k3 and finish this game. That is all decided because it'd be way too much work to move all of this to another engine, especially at nearly 70-80% completion, and it would probably never get finished for sure then.

Anywho, I'm thinking of another idea for Reimaden, which may be more fitting, in that instead of being like the Mausoleum from Tales of Symphonia, it'll be more like...Arianrod Labyrinth from Valkyrie Profile. Don't know what that is? Let's just say...even to this day, I don't understand the mechanics of the puzzle there. Basically...well, take a look at it on YouTube is all I can say. The place is kinda like a math dungeon of sorts but...it's weirdly done and there's no good hints as to what you're supposed to do at all and whatnot. The main goal would STILL to be open the main door in the front foyer, but the library would have two switches that would give two different values and possibly +, -, x, or /, and from there depending on the result will teleport the player to that specific "floor". The way to open the main door would be to find the activation seal through here, but I may have it so that the other hidden treasures are hidden either in here, or the player has to find more seals to unlock locked doors in the rooms to the left and right of the main mansion part.

Yay or nay? It's more complex and involved, but totally fits with the whole "pocket dimension" thing that Reimaden is usually involved in and whatnot. Plus it totally seems like a thing that Mima would try to do too.

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #669 on: August 08, 2016, 05:04:53 AM »
So since Graphicus has been helping me with Hope's sprites, I've been thinking of fixing up all of the character sprites to be...bigger. Of course, this means a crapton of work that'll need to be done and a lot of fixing but...well, I'd rather not have his nice spriting animation put to waste by downsizing too much. So, what's a good size for characters to be?

Default size the sprite is (around 83x96), which seems TOO BIG for 4 characters on that side of the screen at once. Not to mention I don't know how the cursor would like handling that and other things like status icons:

Normal size (aka the size that most of my sprites are at. 66 height is usually the rough maximum). It really butchers the spriting badly, and it makes me feel really bad:

Current size (between 96 and 66, so around 80 for height is roughly the estimate). This seems to be the way to go for this particular sprite, as it's not TOO degraded like the other sprite. Cursor doesn't seem too far off, though I can't speak on status icons. Those shouldn't be too hard to deal with though):

I also tested this particular sprite with 4 characters (having them all use Hope's default sprite):

So...would the default size be good to use (or is it too big)? Would the above be good (not TOO big, but not TOO small nor degraded)? Or...would the normal size sprites that I use for battle animations be fine (smaller so can see the characters, but really degraded sprites)? Just trying to find that right medium before I attempt to fix up character sprites and all that.

EDIT - I GUESS I should probably show this new animation too, right? Right! Skill use animation for Hope~

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 06:07:00 AM by Xenomic »

« Reply #670 on: August 09, 2016, 07:17:13 AM »
The smallest sprite size makes Hope look like a grumpy old lady, so definitely bigger than that. :D
The mid size would probably be the best option, as that picture with 4 full sized sprites makes that side really crowded. And, like you said, the sprite still looks good with a small size change.
A question comes to mind though: how will the other character sprites look when increased to bigger sizes?

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #671 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:08 AM »
Don't know. I remember some being very problematic (Reimu because of her gohei, Utsuho because she's fawking gigantic, Kanako because same issue), so they'd probably have to use MORE spritesheets to cover all of their animations then.

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #672 on: August 09, 2016, 10:20:23 AM »
Having her to be as big as the enemy seems kinda... off. I'll vote for the last one. That last pic though, it's a goddamn clone wars.

Utsuho was supposed to be huge though (I think she is the biggest character in Touhou 12.3).

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #673 on: August 15, 2016, 04:35:16 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dyXzTm7I8U

See video description for more information. Basically just testing this kind of sprite resizing. It's blurry, yeah, but it's not all garbled up. Hmm...

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #674 on: August 18, 2016, 03:30:02 AM »

See this map? You'll see this 4 times. You cannot go any further in the hallways due to a barrier. That's my cop out. Yes, I'm copping out of doing the rest of the mansion. I already got the main pocket dimension rooms done, and there will be the 4-5 rooms for the treasures, but the rest of the mansion? Won't be mapped. I don't see any need to do so, mostly because there's nothing else to put in there that's relevant to the dungeon. So...gonna do this. Is this lazy?? Probably yeah, but...well...I don't need this to be Scarlet Devil Mansion 2.0. Very bland hallways, I'm aware too, but I'm not too worried about this.

Don't worry, whenever I get around to it, I'll have a much MUCH better screenshot later on, whenever I start doing Hokkai. THAT should be fun. Unless anyone has ideas for the rest of this mansion without it being super big or having a lot of rooms? Eh...it should be fine as it is. I still need to fix up a couple bosses too (as mentioned in my Help thread, still got PC-98 Marisa to revamp completely since she's bleh. Still got Death's special Doom coding to do, and still got Fire Magic Stone to deal with. THAT one is hard only because I don't know what to do with its gimmick and abilities. You see, it attacks the party with a bunch of FIRE attacks *gasp!*, but...in doing so, it hurts itself too. It has another boss with it (Kotohime) who primarily uses Mystic-elemental attacks and healing, and if the stone dies before her, she has Full-Life to revive it. In addition, she has Renew I believe to heal 9999 HP. So the objective is to defeat her first, then defeat the stone. The problem is...how much damage should each ability do to the stone, or if there should be other gimmicks with the stone as well?)

In other news, once this dungeon is done, I only have Hokkai left to map for beta5, then just all the monsters/events to do and I'm done with beta5 after 4 years! Then beta6 is next and oh god...

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #675 on: August 27, 2016, 06:55:27 AM »
I'm kinda tired of the default 2k3 EXP system, so I'm thinking of potentially changing that for some other method of leveling up the player. I'm not sure what would be the most effective way of doing so...anyone have any ideas?

In the meantime...new update!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/66m3l4360klrb4t/Touhou_Fantasy.rar

For those interested, yes, this DOES go pretty deep into beta5, up to Reimaden. If anyone is willing to test beta5 out to help find bugs and the likes, that would be great. I haven't been back to the earlier parts of it in a long time, so I don't remember if everything is up to par. Also, some earlier parts may need readjusted (there's a boss that needs updated really badly, for instance). You may need to rebeat the beta4 final boss in order to continue, but hopefully those willing to test aren't TOO overleveled? ^^;

In other news, there's this:

================================================
             CHARACTERS

Suwako:

*Frog's Rest no longer cures Poison, Blind, or Slow, but now grants Regen/MP Regen per level, starting at level 2 up to level 8 at max level.

Nue:

*Danmaku Chimera now removes all buffs from all enemies instead of just Reflect.

ENEMIES

*Advent Cirno now uses Aura Whirl less and now has -20 Speed than before.

Not too much new for characters otherwise. Suwako might get the Doom command that Shikieiki once had, since Shikieiki is no longer usable (dummied out completely). Suwako's Ancient Jade might also become an Earth-elemental attack to give her another offensive option. She's got a looooot of work to become more useful. In addition, you are now FORCED to go to the Human Village before you can go to Misty Lake (you just have to enter the village in order to trigger the switch to go to Misty Lake, don't have to do anything else). I did this as many people weren't going to the village to get items and skills and the like. I also fixed some tile errors on maps (world map and Forest of Magic). In addition, Yuuka's location is more obviously marked. Forests might become unwalkable too, to prevent confusion as to where you can go (meaning I'll have to make a teleport event to the area where Mokou is later). There were probably a bunch of other updates that I've forgotten, but those are all the ones I remember at the current time! I still need ideas for Suwako's skills, btw, which what I have are these (once again):

**Monstrous Toad God: Attempts to force enemies to flee from battle. The higher the level of the skill, the greater the chance of forcing enemies to flee. No rewards are given for enemies that flee in this manner. Starts at 25% or less of Suwako's level for enemies to flee at level 1 (if Suwako is level 50, then enemies of level 12-13 or less will flee at a 100% chance), with +25% each level up. Does not work on all enemies and fails on bosses.
**Native God's Curse: Deals X damage to all enemies, dealing more damage the more allies that are KO'd. Higher levels increase the amount of damage increased by how many dead allies there are. 4 levels.
**Blighted Earth: Attempts to halve all enemies status resistances for X turns. The duration of the turns increases the higher the level of the skill. 4 levels.
**Brave the Elements: Attempts to halve all elemental resistances on all enemies. Higher levels increases duration of debuff. 5 levels.
**Seven Stones:
**Frog God: Doubles effect of chosen character's battle passive for X turn. Higher levels increases the duration of the buff. 5 levels.

**Blighted Earth: Inflicts non-elemental damage to all enemies equal to 1/4 of current HP. +25% increase in damage per level, up to current HP at max level.

Various ideas for her. Some more doable than others perhaps. In addition, I may need ideas on how to update the crafting shop as well. I will probably be adding in the shops for the materials in there from SDM so that you can access them whenever, at the very least.

Get hyped, ya'll! Because beta5 is nearing completion finally! Once Reimaden is done, all that remains is True Pandaemonium, Silent Shrine, Palanquin Ship, and finally Hokkai! After nearly 4-5 years too! \ o /

« Reply #676 on: August 28, 2016, 08:01:51 AM »
I patched the game to the new version and made my way into Makai (WTB skip option for Eastern Forest and Cave to Makai!), no beta4 boss along the way. I don't quite remember where I stopped in the story, but I think I just made my way into the big castle to get access to the nice shops there. I will roam around there to find an event when I have more time to play.
Also checked the levels of my characters: most seem to be lvl 25-35 with a few over lvl 40 (Koishi level 46!). Is level 30ish the intended level at this point? My current party is lvl 33 Patchouli/Hope/Keine dragging a lvl 18 Advent Cirno with them, so I could just stick with that.

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #677 on: August 28, 2016, 08:05:48 AM »
Level 20-30 is the recommended levels, aye. After Pandaemonium, you're meant to go to Hollowed Caverns, then back to Pandaemonium for a big event.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0eu2lgbafmj7fyd/Touhou_Fantasy_Maps.rar

These maps fixes a few more tile errors, which there's probably still more of in Pandaemonium, but also adds accessories to the shop because...it didn't have that for some reason?? This also includes accessories you normally cannot buy earlier in the game! So new accessories, yay!

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #678 on: September 29, 2016, 09:28:55 AM »
=============================================
            SYSTEM

*The SDM crafting shop is now available in the crafting room.
*Aya should now automatically level up to level 10 during Youkai Mountain if she is not level 10.
*While doing the Youkai Mountain segment, enemies have a high chance of running away (bar the Kedama Stack). Once Suwako is defeated, this is removed and the enemies will fight as normal.
*Revival items all get buffed bar Angel's Prayer and Divine Spirit. 1-Up Piece (10%), 1-Up (25%), Cherry Points (50%), and Spirit Essence (75%).
*Faith now cures Zombie and Doom. The Faith item is now set to the proper animation.
*All armor, helmets, and shields have their flavor text removed in favor of showing actual stat gains. All accessories had their descriptions updated.
*All of Aya's Veiling Scrolls have doubled in price.
*All of Remilia's Chain Scrolls have increased in price, from 2000 each level to 2500 each level.
*Nitori's Head Parts, Arm Parts, Leg Parts, and Torso Parts have had their prices changed and are now available in the shop (bar Torso Parts)

CHARACTERS

*Reimu's Pray has been buffed. Instead of healing 10%, 20%, and 30% per level respectfully, it now heals 15%, 30%, and 45%.
*Cirno now has Fairy's Revival as a passive, which is the same passive that all fairy enemies have (if dead and not revived within 20 turns, she'll automatically revive with 50% Max HP). This passive cannot be upgraded at all.
*Aya's Wind Sickle Veiling now costs more MP to use, starting at 25 MP at level 1 up to 100 MP at max level.
*Nitori's Call Crafting Shop has been removed and turned into an item that Nitori gives upon joining the party after Youkai Mountain (May still need fixed up as I may have forgotten to actually give this...).
*Remilia's Chain Gang has increased in power:
  *Level 1: 3 MP > 10 MP
  *Level 2: 6 MP > 20 MP
  *Level 3: 9 MP > 30 MP
  *Level 4: 12 MP > 40 MP
  *Level 5: 15 MP > 50 MP
*Remilia's Miserable Change has increased in power from 15 MP to 20 MP.
*Koishi's Meteor went from 80% accuracy to 70% accuracy. MP cost went from 99 MP to 60 MP.

ENEMIES

*Hades went from 55,535 HP to 33,333.

Updated version here: http://www.mediafire.com/file/66m3l4360klrb4t/Touhou_Fantasy.rar

Expect some more changes here and there later on for beta1-4 content. For instance, some abilities will get lower fixed duration on their statuses (Cirno's Icicle Fall's Freeze, Meiling's Yellow Tremor Step's Paralysis, etc.) so that they're not completely busted and the dedicated status skills can actually be more useful. This also holds true for enemy status effects in earlier parts of the games, where their status effects will be of shorter durations, so you won't end up in situations where you have Paralyze: 50 turns in the 2nd dungeon.

Beta5 is getting even so slightly closer to being done (just got 2 bosses to test out, then onto next dungeon!). Then that leaves 4 more dungeons left to do, and then beta5 is done! \ o /

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2016, 03:49:29 AM »
Debating on what to do with these bosses. On one hand, I have the final boss of this dungeon's skillset set up. I just haven't implemented it. On the other hand, I have another boss, first fought solo with a specific character and then later with a forced party, that has nothing yet.

Well, let's start with the boss that's already got stuff set up:

Shinki:

Void Slice: Inflicts non-elemental physical damage to one party member that inflicts Disable.
Fortuna: For the next 50 turns, there is a 50% chance of Shinki restoring 50% of the damage she takes.
Ether Blaze: Reduces the party's MP to 0 and inflicts damage to the party's HP equal to the amount of MP lost.
Fatal Illusion: Summons 7 invisible enemies and Shinki becomes invulnerable. If the wrong invisible enemy is hit, the party will take 500 damage. Hitting the right one will dispel the effect of this ability. If 3 wrong ones are hit, it will randomize which one is the correct one.
"Missing Sanctuary": Grants NulPhysical/NulMagic: 20 turns, Omni Resist Up: 20 turns, and restores 5000 HP. Requires 1 Bomb Charge to use.
"Last Crisis": Sets the party's HP to 1 and MP to 0. Requires 2 Bomb Charges to use.
"Armageddon Memory": Inflicts 5000 Mystic-elemental damage to the party. 80% accuracy. Requires 3 Bomb Charges to use.

This is with a forced party (all final fights in this dungeon are with specific parties. The game even warns the player before entering the boss area to equip everyone and make sure they're up to snuff), so making sure that it's balanced is the hard part. "Armageddon Memory" is basically the instant kill move and is meant to be used if the fight drags on TOO long. "Last Crisis" I feel isn't THAT scary, nothing a Potion Berry or two (1000 HP recovery to the party) can't fix, as well as a couple Oni Wine (100 MP recovery to the party). I'm wondering if "Missing Sanctuary" might be too much though as a level 1 Limit Break?

The ones that I'm wondering is too much though is Ether Blaze and Fatal Illusion. The thing that people have asked me about Fatal Illusion is what happens if the player uses an AoE to hit everything? The plan is that the wrong choices would happen first BEFORE the right one (so that means all the 500 damage first, then the correct one), meaning...3000 damage to the party before the right one is found, meaning the party is probably dead. However, I'm not sure on how I would code such a thing yet, or if it's doable in 2k3. Ether Blaze I'm only worried about due to how powerful it is. Or is the entire skillset too much? It feels very final boss-esque even though this isn't the final boss (she's supposed to be REALLY powerful though so...).

With that out of the way, Yumeko is the one that I'm struggling with. She's known for...throwing lots and lots of swords and teleporting around in the canon games. Not much else on her abilities, so I'm kinda left with that. I'm thinking of having her just throwing various specific weapons from the FF series or something, with an ability that lets her avoid all damage for X turns thrown in somewhere. She is vulnerable to Paralysis, Stop, and Slow, all of which the solo character (Sakuya) can use, and Sakuya's also included in the 2nd fight with her (alongside Remilia who doesn't have any status attacks IIRC, and Momiji, who can also inflict Paralysis with Cross Slash). Thinking of beefing her up potentially for that fight due to there being 3 characters instead of 1. Not sure yet. Any ideas??

« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2016, 06:42:21 PM »
Oh, this thread's still active? Well, guess I won't need to PM you.   :)

So, a year since I last played this, I think I've finally managed to make progress.
I think you've at some point posted something about a secret passage being near the entrance, but I haven't found anything.
And I took the liberty to search high and low to somehow make progress.
And... I'm still stuck. Could you help me, please?

Also, wow. I'm amazed by how long you were able to keep developing this game. Cheers.

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #681 on: October 17, 2016, 08:42:35 PM »
Secret passage near where??

« Reply #682 on: October 18, 2016, 08:30:49 AM »
Ah, nevermind... that post was over 2 years old so its content probably doesn't apply anymore.
Still don't know how to progress with Eientei, though.

(By the way, are Reisen and Tewi supposed to be that weak? Feels like a nice breather after fighting Ms Za Warudo, so I don't mind. :3)

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #683 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:18 AM »
Yeah, they're a lot easier than Sakuya for sure. As for Eientei, where are you stuck at?

« Reply #684 on: October 18, 2016, 01:18:36 PM »
The mansion.
Not sure what I'm supposed to do, since I already looted the rooms behind the door monsters.
And I did check for any secret paths in the walls.

And jeez, I shouldn't have wasted 4k Yen for the Grimoire for Reisen since her skills do the exact same amount of damage than before.
I guess skills have an entirely different damage formula?
When I tested Cirno back in the FoM, her Diamond Blizzard didn't do any more damage with either attack or magic boosting accessories.

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #685 on: October 18, 2016, 08:16:16 PM »
Yeah, for some reason, Enterbrain did a terrible job with the damage formulae outright for everything. For every 4 points of Attack, that's 1 extra damage. For every 8 points of Magic, that's 1 extra damage. And damage for regular attacks is: Attacker's ATK/4 - Target's DEF/2. It's just dumb.

As for Eientei? There's a wall that has two potted plants. You just go right from there.

« Reply #686 on: October 18, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
I should've noticed that something was off with only 2 potted plants on one wall. Sorry.
Then again, Reimu's/Reisen's dialogue makes you think that they'd be able to sense the right door.

(Wouldn't it be interesting to make Reisen or Reimu the first character in order for them to trigger specific dialogue when near the plants? :3 )

Well, I guess that's the reason for the skill levels. Unless you're playing with Cirno using her basic attack command, those items aren't really worth it...
'Cause with either the Grimoire or the Oni's Horn you'd only get a damage increase of 12...
Well, guess that's a good reason to make Patchy tanky and equip more versatile stuff.  ;)

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #687 on: October 18, 2016, 08:52:21 PM »
When you stop and think about it, you'd think that in-game, they'd be able to clearly see these hidden areas unlike the player heh. Eientei as a whole is one big puzzle dungeon. It's going to throw you for a loop super easily.

I wish I could do that, but there's no nice way (or any way that I know of) to trigger things based on who the field sprite is. T-T

If anything, they're there if you need SOMETHING to equip. I just wish I could make them more....interesting somehow. There's a tutorial I remember reading that can make those stats more viable, but that involves having to revamp EVERYTHING for the skills, and oh god...

« Reply #688 on: October 18, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »
Oh, I think I've found 2 bugs in the puzzle room section.
The teleporter thing on the outside near the Tewi sends you back all the way to the SDM. (or is that necessary for the story?)

And for some reason, Reimu got frustrated about having lost items after I went through the middle door. Luckily enough I don't seem to actually lose anything.

The circling Tewi's are tewifying (get it?) ... but they do give me tons of health potions, so I don't mind.

Xenomic

• Xenomic's Lair
« Reply #689 on: October 18, 2016, 09:29:46 PM »
1) The teleporter thing is set that way so you have a fast way back to where you can buy supplies.
2) Yeah, that's dialogue that I forgot to change actually.