Author Topic: What motivates you when you play games?  (Read 12637 times)

Toasty

Re: What motivates you when you play games?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »
Boredom.

That's it.

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 02:43:43 AM »
For most games, entertainment.
For fighting games, competition.
For TF2, it's the desire to top the scoreboard and laugh as the spy with 2 points and a KD ratio of 0.002 blames me for the team losing a round (which is guaranteed to happen). :V

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 02:46:10 AM »
the spy with 2 points and a KD ratio of 0.002 blames me for the team losing a round (which is guaranteed to happen). :V

Yep. Or one of the 6 snipers bitches about how the team has no medics/heavies/what-have-you.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 08:49:12 PM »
I play games so as to allow myself the luxury of forgetting all of the bad things that happen in my life, and allow me to focus on things that I would actually like. A Majority of such things include taming dragons, learning magic, and other realistically impossible tasks.

I am every bit as pathetic as that paragraph implies.

MCXD

• Test
  • Light Sign "Heaven Engine"
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
There is a good reason why I don't know a 360, PS3 or Wii.

And this thread sums up, truthfully, only about 2 of them.

Anyway, the reason I play games changes depending on what type of game it is. Touhou I play because I find it fun and it distracts me from the stress/stupidity of life. I enjoy the story in RPGs, and pay those for that reason more so. (Arcade) Driving games (read: Mario Kart, Trackmania) are the only things I play competitively, and even then it is only times and between friends. I enjoy puzzle games because hey, I enjoy puzzles. Platformers are fun and challenging sometimes, although a favourite of mine is Metroidvania Platformers because it also adds a puzzley sense of exploration to it which I enjoy. Looking around game worlds is something else I enjoy, but it's unfortunately that HUGE WORLDS and AWESOME GRAPHICS are usually WASTED on your next FPS in a line of Crysis, CoD and whatever else you want.

I don't play online at all, and because of that, I don't play any FPSs or MMORPGs, so I have nothing to comment there.

mad

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2009, 07:11:51 PM »
Story and fun mostly. Good music is a plus.
Little did he know, the shed was near Yuyuko, who was in a role-play of Dune. As a sandworm.

Lopsidation

• Exploring the Twin Labyrinths
  • Be light of heart;
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
When a game gives you a task that you can't complete at first (or second, or third), finally finishing it usually gives a huge sense of accomplishment. This is why many people love ridiculously hard games like IWBTG, La-Mulana, and yes, Touhou.

That's why Achievements with a capital A are sort of hollow*- it's like if, after years of hard work, you finally make it to the Olympics, and the judging committee gives you a strawberry lollipop as a prize. The sense of real achievement is less than if you hadn't received anything, because you unconsciously think "Well, finally winning after those years of hard work must have been worth about 1 lollipop."

There's also something to be said about that hard work- you don't want to play a game that isn't fun to you at all, because finally completing it won't be worth it after hours and hours of boring grinding. This is why I tend not to like RPGs with any amount of grinding.

So, after all that, I guess I like games that provide a difficult challenge, while having good music, story, graphics, etc. so that 'failed' attempts are still worthwhile.
Kind of obvious when you think about it- but, it's always better to think about it, isn't it?

*EDIT: I must add that Achievements do have some redeeming value- I've heard that completing an Achievement gives some number of "gamerpoints", which you can use to buy more games. Free games are always nice, and it's good to have motivation not to let uncompleted games stack up in the corner, so. If this is true, I can understand the idea behind these.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 09:18:49 PM by Lopsidation »
"Happiness is like a cat, If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay no attention to it and go about your business, you'll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap."

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »
Gamerpoints are not used to buy games, they are useless. The only time I find that Achievements or Trophies are worth it is when the developed thinks outside the box and makes you complete fun tasks that you wouldn't do otherwise.

What motivates me to play games is fun. If I don't have fun it's meaning less. I play all game genres except sports games, I don't like watching sport so playing a simulation is as boring. Aside from that I'll play anything that is good. I'm also a big retro gamer so you'll see me playing SNES games as much as PS3 games, if not more.

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
It's hard to say. 

I would say my absolute favorite games have a combination of engaging storyline, and a sense of purpose, and a non-frustrating play-system.   Fictional characters relying on you to do some important job that only you can do.  Most of the games I play fit into this category.  RPGs, some platformers, Metroidvanias, even some FPSs do this. This was why Cave Story was my favorite game; it pulled off giving you a role and a mission so well.  You actually felt like a go-with-the-flow nice guy who unintentionally gets involved in a situation.  In addition, Doukutsu was made by one dude in his basement... I love game creation, so I love indie game creators as well.

I like strategy games, especially turn-based, where you have to constantly evaluate possibilities, predict your opponent's actions, take risks, decide what sacrifices you can afford to make, what you can do to make sure things go off without a hitch.  I actually feel bad when the units under my command get killed because of my mistakes...  I have to tell myself they're not real, heh.

I play a lot of games the same way I listen to music; just for the experience.  It's as a way to take time out and think, and relive stress.  This is how I play touhou and other STGs.

I hate super-competitive games.  I get so swept up in the competitive aspect, and even if I win I end up feeling like shit.  I don't play online FPSs because of this...  Lots of pointless aggression by the players.  At least this was the case back in the early 2000's, when I had access to fast internet (and whenever I played against my brother, which is another story entirely).

I think I'd really enjoy non-competitive multi-player games with friends, but I've never had an opportunity to play them since my internet sucks.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:15:44 PM by Chunk »

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
Do we truly need motivation to play games?  Can we not play games for the sake of playing games?  On the other hand, I play games because I am currently studying how to program games.  C++ is quite inspirational when there are no syntax errors.

non-lolicon Ange fan

• Leave your jokes to your hair.
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 04:27:48 PM »
I play videogames because they are fun. If a game is fun and I can figure out how to play it, I will enjoy it. I don't care for achievements. I like seeing games with good graphics, music, and story, but these are not necessary for a game to be good.

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2009, 06:35:48 PM »
I play games because they're fun and engage my mind with various situational complexities. I play video games primarily because they're games I can play on demand, without necessarily worrying if I do or don't have a partner. If the story is good, that's a nice bonus, but I'm in it primarily for the game.

As to why other people might like some of these curious things, perhaps I can give a little bit of insight help:

"Achievements" may be arbitrary but they can fulfill that purpose. They're essentially miniature unlockable content side-quests, except without unlockable content and plot integration. The concept is somewhat novel, in that it can add some extra play time to a good game where there otherwise might be none. If the game is indeed fun and interesting, then almost no matter how tedious the task, the continued experience of it should be enjoyable. At least, so long as it adheres to the basic rules. This is more or less the entirety anybody would play a game like Tetris more than a handful of times despite its repetitiveness: The game continues to be just as amusing as when you started playing, despite the repetition, meaninglessness and futility of the puzzle.

For people who take pride in achievements, is that they're essentially designed as dueling gauntlets by the game's creators. This leads to excessive pride over otherwise meaningless tasks like "Spin around so many times until you feel dizzy and fall down." I'd suppose that for people who brag about "Achievements" it's the small feeling of victory they feel after accomplishing the relevant task.

An additional factor to consider is that the notion of superiority over others is highly appealing to the ego. These "Achievements" serve as a tangible marker of the supposed superiority, much like the high score boards you'll find in just about any arcade styled game. Unlike points though, "Achievements" have definition in what was actually achieved, so the accomplishment are more visible to those who'd behold them. This adds a minutely tangible after-effect and could theoretically add more to the legend, if any is to be had.

To this point, I can understand why others might enjoy it. My only problems with it, much like that of the original quandry of the thread, is that it's all quite superficial and frivolous when viewed objectively. "Achievements" don't actually achieve anything substantial: nothing in a game does really. Outside of the context of the game, nothing you do in the act of playing doesn't matter. This isn't necessarily bad in and of itself, until people become delude themselves enough to think otherwise and begin to exhibit signs of obsessiveness and poor sportsmanship as a result. It is true that poor sportsmanship can be the end result of any game, the addition of rating systems seem to especially promote it.

As for performing grinding tasks to reap rewards, it's partially about how heavily you value the item. Just like one kid might get a job mowing lawns to save for a pair of skates while another kid would rather spend the time their favorite show, one player may want to save up for that powerful new toy, while the other just want to cut to the chase and play.

With MMORPGs in particular, one also has to remember that if the developers don't regulate the flow of the stronger items, the playerbase may grow to be overpowered. To combat this they may introduce an economic system via item where various people perform various roles in creating the item, and allow the market to settle itself out. The people collecting the materials for the Scorpion Tails might not get all the parts individually, but might try sell what parts they randomly find while scavenger hunting to a forger buying raw materials from a handful of sources. The forger may in turn want to sell the completed item, the Scorpion o' Nine Tails, to an end user for a tidy profit. The end user might see this as a good deal, as the item may be a good bargain compared to the other items he could buy from NPCs and doesn't necessarily want to spend the time to get all of the parts and learn all of the skills required to build it himself. In this way, the individual burden is alleviated by spreading it across multiple individuals and the whole farming scorpion tails for an hour and a half issue never does pop up. (That is, except for people who particularly covet the final product for competitive purposes and believe that the going rate is beyond their budget. Although in this case, it could be argued that it's the ulterior motive that drives them to do it, as opposed to the actual reward of the item itself.)

As for the killing aspect, well... I can't really cover that. I see no reason to enjoy that aspect of a game over any other, or any reason why a game that has it would necessarily be more enjoyable than a game without. Perhaps it's a predatory and/or defensive instinct; perhaps it's because it's hard to have an adventure without busting up some heads; perhaps it's that the sheer prevalence of such games means that the gameplay mechanics behind it are just so much more developed. Who knows? I dunno but I can certainly tell you this much: It certainly isn't me.

At any rate, here are some insightful, if not funny little games I think you guys might enjoy: Achievement Unlocked and Upgrade Complete. :P

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2009, 01:49:55 PM »
Mostly it is to see the next part of the story. That's the reason why I kept playing Disgaea 2, just to see the next cutscene. And also why I got bored when the story was finished and I tried to do all the extra stuff (like the Item World Pirates)

suki-gin

• EMBRACE THE POWER OF LOVE!
  • Girl is doing her best.
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2009, 10:36:50 AM »
Everything that makes both the game and gaming experience appeals to me.

Such as:
- The story: There'd be no game if no story existed
- Art: No matter what style, having art to aid the story helps a lot.
- Challenge: Spending 17+ hours straight on a game cannot be justified without this  :P
- Boredom: Games can cure this
- Community: The fans, merchandise and general  community is pretty good place to keep interests high
- Music: Just having good music can be a motivator too

Well, those are my points on the matter. Hope they weren't too confusing
(어떡하죠) 어떡하죠 (떨리는 나는)  떨리는 나는요(두근) 두근 두근 거려 밤에 잠도 못이루죠 나는 나는 바본가봐요 그대 그대밖에 모르는 바보 그래요 그대 보는 날

Patchouli the Librarian

• The Unmoving Great Library
  • I hold all of you in the highest contempt.
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2009, 09:22:39 PM »
Music and the gameplay. Maybe the storyline, but not as much as the former two.

Hops203

• Yo, where all the white women at?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2009, 03:04:29 AM »
To beat it.
But when I do, everything becomes boring.

Miasma Melancholy

• Innocent Deadly Flower
    • Team Fantasy Maiden
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2009, 03:42:35 AM »
Ehh, it depends on how much I like the game.

If it REALLY sucks, I sometimes won't even bother finishing it. I'll hate myself for it, but I'll get over it. Although unless I borrowed it from a friend or something, I'll go back and play it again later just to say I've beaten it. Otherwise, I'll typically try to get everything in the game that I game, preferably without cheats or anything like that. My main motivation for playing any game is getting everything possible out of it.

Unfortunately, general laziness and my short attention span often prevents me from doing that for most of my games. The only games I can think of that I've gotten close to 100% in are The World Ends With You and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I only need to master a second Anguis pin in TWEWY and I'll have 100% completion for the entire game. As for OoE, I only need to get to level 255. I've even beaten that game using only a simple axe glyph.

Although I'm sure that there are other games I've completed, I can't think of any at the moment. Linear games like most NES games don't really count though. If that were the case, then I could come up with a whole list. Trying to get everything in a game CAN get a bit boring though after a while. (Currently trying to play through FFIV on DS 3 times so I can max out my final party's stats and beat Geryon and Proto-Babil.)

This is one of the reasons why I like Touhou though. I can get through the game in about half an hour and be done with it, but it's still fun for me to play through it again whenever I'm bored. At least I would, if I had a working computer.

suki-gin

• EMBRACE THE POWER OF LOVE!
  • Girl is doing her best.
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2009, 09:32:58 PM »
- Timeframe: If I am rushed to play a game, I feel more urged to do so.
- Challengers: Once you can clear a game, then it gets a bit boring so challenges are always fun.
(어떡하죠) 어떡하죠 (떨리는 나는)  떨리는 나는요(두근) 두근 두근 거려 밤에 잠도 못이루죠 나는 나는 바본가봐요 그대 그대밖에 모르는 바보 그래요 그대 보는 날

DA

• Some dude on the internet
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2009, 09:50:41 PM »
What motivates me is testing and trueing out stuff unique stuff and playing on the hardest difficulty for no reason..... also boredom.