Author Topic: Anime Recommedations?  (Read 21101 times)

Power

• The power is within you. :D
Anime Recommedations?
« on: February 23, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »
I don't know I can't find anything interesting to watch with anime.  Just need to watch something so awesome that it will blow my mind.  So any anime worth watching that you can call awesome?  :)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Anime Recommedations?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

We're done here.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44:03 AM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

We're done here.
Add Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica to that list.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 01:58:23 AM »
Can you maybe explain what kind of genres or themes you like, and what some of your favorite movies and TV series have been? Just asking "give me good titles k thanks" doesn't give people a lot to go on.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Power

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 02:02:37 AM »
Well I recently watched Groundhog day on youtube.  The movie is really good though.   TV series?  There was YuYu Hakusho which I loved and Roushin ken.   Maybe give me a show to think about.  Something with an awesome message to show me so that I can go through reality better.   Depressing shows I don't want to touch unless maybe I'm severely depress.  I would say a show I can learn something from with awesome scenes.  Yeah maybe something like that.   :derp:

Drake

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 02:06:16 AM »
FMA Brotherhood
Baccano!
Death Note
Steins;Gate
Code Geass
Neon Genesis Evangelion
FLCL
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

iunno

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Power

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 02:09:15 AM »
Oh yeah Gurren Lagann.  Is that show good?  I thought it was too cheesy with "My drill will pierce the heavens." meme.   What message could they possibly conveyed with a drill?  Sorry if I offended anyone I just want if the show's not a generic mech anime.   :derp:

Drake

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:16:52 AM »
Is that show good?
yes

I thought it was too cheesy with "My drill will pierce the heavens." meme.
it is not a meme, but it is cheesy (in the most badass way you can think of?)

What message could they possibly conveyed with a drill?
if you watch you will understand

I just want if the show's not a generic mech anime.
not sure what you mean by generic mech anime, and your credibility heavily depends on how many mecha anime you've already watched

Now I'm more concerned that you've been spoiled already, and have been tainted by TVTropes (which you seem to have come from).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:18:37 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Power

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 02:20:35 AM »
You know generic like how the main character is all whiny and never gets anything done.  Come on you know that character that had something bad happen to them then they become all emo and depress.   I really don't want to watch a show where they get nothing done and be depressing.   

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 02:30:11 AM »
I'm sorry if anyone disagrees, but TTGL is very, very good compared to most mecha anime.
Give it a spin before you  start judging it.

:P
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:35:19 AM by Paper Conan »

Power

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37:33 AM »
Well Gurren Lagann it is.  May have to marathon this when I have the time then I heard there's the movies.  Well going to have to get use to that  cheesy phrase "My drill will pierce the heavens.  Who knows maybe the message is uplifting and would make me do awesome things.  Yeah any other happy animes you guys got?   :)

KFCbbQ

• Taking over the world.
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 02:41:13 AM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is awesome - gave me goosebumps all the way. I don't generally watch mecha genre animes but Tengen Toppa is one of the few exceptions that I watched and liked (so are Code Geass, Eureka 7, and Evangelion).

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 03:01:38 AM »
Gurren Lagann is incredible and nowhere near a 'generic' mecha anime what is this blasphemy you speak of ???

I'd also add Gunbuster (and Diebuster) to the list if you liked that, as well as Eureka Seven.

Also, Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum are fantastic and mindblowing.

I'll also second Baccano!, Evangelion, FLCL, Nanoha, and Madoka as well.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:07:24 AM by Cardcaptor Sakuragi »

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 03:02:07 AM »
I know this isn't an anime, but I am totally serious about this.
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It fits all the requirements

Also, Gurren Lagann

AHHHH STOP CUTTING ME

HakureiSM

• Reimu is all of it
  • I suddenly feel like I ate a crowbar.
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 03:54:31 AM »
You know generic like how the main character is all whiny and never gets anything done. 
I like the part where Simon and Kamina are the exact opposite of this

Also I know some people who will hate me for this, but add To Aru Majutsu no Index to that list.
Because if Kamijou Touma isn't badass, I don't know what that is. I mean seriously, he solves everything with punches to the face.
[20:45:19] Ciryano: come and behold why they call it the Panzerfaust
[20:45:39] Hakurei Reimu: ... because it shoots once and then you throw it out?
                                                                                   .

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 02:54:30 PM »
Too much Gurren Lagann and not enough Gunbuster.  Gunbuster is not only the better series, but it's also only six episodes so you don't have to spend too much time on it, and it's still incredibly relevant despite being made in the late eighties.  Also, you'll never really truly "get" Gurren Lagann or Evangelion if you haven't seen where it all came from, and pretty much most of the stuff Gainax has done can be traced back to Gunbuster.

Also it has a 250 meter tall robot doing alien armada crushing flying kicks, what more do you want?

Also, Magical Project S.  If you want to understand the magical girl genre, watch this and not Madoka.  Madoka's a good show, but it's not a very good representation of the genre as a whole. >.>
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »
Too much Gurren Lagann and not enough Gunbuster.  Gunbuster is not only the better series, but it's also only six episodes so you don't have to spend too much time on it, and it's still incredibly relevant despite being made in the late eighties.  Also, you'll never really truly "get" Gurren Lagann or Evangelion if you haven't seen where it all came from, and pretty much most of the stuff Gainax has done can be traced back to Gunbuster.

Also it has a 250 meter tall robot doing alien armada crushing flying kicks, what more do you want?

How about a delicious soundtrack by Kouhei Tanaka?

Oh, wait. It does have that. :*

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
Also, Magical Project S.  If you want to understand the magical girl genre, watch this and not Madoka.  Madoka's a good show, but it's not a very good representation of the genre as a whole. >.>
Card Captor Sakura is the exact definition of a Magical Girl anime, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is not (or it's not supposed to, anyway).
It's supposed to be wonderful and mindfucking in it's own fantastic way.~

I hear Nichijou is a hilarious slice-of-life anime, though I've never really given it a try.
How good is it?

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
Card Captor Sakura is the exact definition of a Magical Girl anime, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica is not (or it's not supposed to, anyway).

I hear Nichijou is a hilarious slice-of-life anime, though I've never really given it a try.
How good is it?

Norio Wakamoto good.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure Madoka is meant to be a deconstruction of the genre.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Paper Conan

• NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 12:21:56 AM »
I'm pretty sure Madoka is meant to be a deconstruction of the genre.
Exactly. I just didn't want to give that away.  :3

Tengukami

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:45:10 AM »
How good is it?

It's hilarious.

Also, Madoka is a great series. I don't know why magic girl purists have a problem with it. It has all the classic elements of the genre, but expands upon it, before taking it completely apart. I have seldom seen a work within a particular genre able to examine and represent said genre so effectively.

As far as recommendations that haven't been made yet go - keeping your tastes in mind - I'd also recommend Rozen Maiden, Eden of the East, Fractale and Paranoia Agent.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Moerin

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 02:24:47 AM »
I have no problem with Madoka.  It's a great series and I think everyone should watch it.  The only real problem I have with it is when people start going on about it being the best magical girl series ever, despite never actually having seen anything else in the genre.  Or when they think it's good because it's "dark", and that it's "realistic" because horrible things happen to some of the characters.  Hurm... I guess it's because, whilst a lot of the fanbase are intelligent people who like it for the reasons Ammy mentioned, there's also a sizable portion who are, um... Let's just say we don't exactly see eye to eye about things and leave it at that.

Ahem.  Uh... Anyways, back on topic, um... Did anyone mention Excel Saga yet?  Because I don't think there's ever been as amazingly hilarious a skewering of the medium of anime as it, and I'm not just saying that because it's my favourite anime.

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 07:34:43 PM »
I think we're forgetting Gainax's best show BV

Moerin

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
I think we're forgetting Gainax's best show BV
No, we already mentioned Gunbuster. :trollface:

(Seriously though PSG is pretty awesome if you can put up with the toilet humour.  So if you can, uh, go check it out. >.>)

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 04:54:53 AM »
I do not at all favor the toilet humor. If you are a posh and elegant sort like myself, you can safely skip it. Ohhohoho~

My personal single greatest recommendation has to be Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. It's a wonderful work of satire, and while all 40+ episodes may seem daunting, they are all very much worth watching if you are into that kind of thing.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2012, 05:06:33 AM »
I'm in despair!  This recommendations thread has left me in despair!

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2012, 06:28:12 AM »

Well, the more recommendations, the merrier, so, feel free to add some of your own.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:33:56 PM by Tengukami »

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 06:36:40 AM »

1. Attempt suicide
2. Almost get killed by someone else
3. "What if I had died?"
4. Comment on the faults of today's culture

E: On the subject of recommendations, I say Hayate the Combat Butler. It's easily my favorite show of all time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:42:05 AM by Tirade of Love and Justice »

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:05 PM »
I'd recommend the Kara no Kyoukai movies. It's got a good mixture of talking+action. The atmosphere's really well done too.