Author Topic: background in touhou series  (Read 3365 times)

background in touhou series
« on: September 15, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »
is there any way to disable the background so that i can experience 60fps for my computer?

thanks

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Re: background in touhou series
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 02:06:37 PM »
Background what? Do you mean the music, or the visual backgrounds themselves? And are you sure either are directly connected to lag?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:37 AM »
Yes, backgrounds can cause lag.  That's one of the reasons that Cirno's stage is used as the default for some PoFV competitions.  Not sure how much of an fps improvement there would be with them removed, but there would be an improvement.

I'll join the op in wanting to know if there's a simple way to disable the background layer(s) in the various games.  I don't need an fps improvement, but I'm curious how much of a visibility improvement there would be.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »
Swapping some of PoFV's backgrounds for a pitch black wall would be glorious. But then, editing the visuals in a touhou game is something I'd generally consider cheating.

But ehh... I'd still do it. In PoFV anyway.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 06:46:46 AM »
i dont know how to quote so....:

if changing the background is considered cheating then
i can beat most of the series in lunatic since my current fps is 20fps.

thats also cheating dont you think?

Zil

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:38 AM »
yes

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:02:33 AM »
If your fps is as low as 20, I don't think simply editing the backgrounds would put it at a full 60

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 10:26:34 AM »
but it will increase dramatically. it will be as near as 60 but it will increase the difficulty

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 03:07:28 PM »
but it will increase dramatically. it will be as near as 60 but it will increase the difficulty
If it goes back to 60fps, it returns to the 'intended' difficulty :)
I think setting frameskip to 1/2 or 1/3 should help bring back to 60fps, although you don't have to do that if you want to play at 20fps....

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
Does your fps improve much during spellcards? Because if not, not rendering background won't be enough help, there's some other problem you have.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 11:11:59 AM »
If it goes back to 60fps, it returns to the 'intended' difficulty :)
I think setting frameskip to 1/2 or 1/3 should help bring back to 60fps, although you don't have to do that if you want to play at 20fps....
I've tried this on my previous PC because it was kind of terrible.  I really can't recommend it.  The lag reduction isn't that huge, and it messes with how well you can read things.  Plus it hurts your eyes, or at least it did mine.  I'd have to say just stick with whatever games run fine for you (probably UFO and earlier or IN and earlier) or get a new PC because it sounds like you're really due for one (this especially applies if 6-9 don't work for you, considering they should run on pretty much anything).

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:16:34 PM »
I've tried this on my previous PC because it was kind of terrible.  I really can't recommend it.  The lag reduction isn't that huge, and it messes with how well you can read things.  Plus it hurts your eyes, or at least it did mine.  I'd have to say just stick with whatever games run fine for you (probably UFO and earlier or IN and earlier) or get a new PC because it sounds like you're really due for one (this especially applies if 6-9 don't work for you, considering they should run on pretty much anything).
For me, the change in frameskip doesn't really affect my dodging much and the reduction in lag is very noticeable. I guess this varies among different people though.....

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 08:28:30 AM »
If the early Windows games are doing that, then you would probably be better off with getting a new computer, as the first few should run easily on anything at full 60 fps.

Out of curiosity, could you post some specs from Speccy? (just copy paste what shows up on the first screen)
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>