Author Topic: To whoever's using EoSD replay patch or had problems with it, especially you BT  (Read 6438 times)

I just found out  something about the chinese patch that took me forever to figure out how to patch and that I added an already-patched version to the wiki months ago that caused dat-related problems to many people. IT MERELY CHANGES ONE FUCKING VALUE IN THE EXE. So yeah, it'll work in the English version, or maybe even in the demo.

So just grab your English patched version, open in some free hex editor (HHD Hex Editor is pretty cool), go to the offset 0002D835 and change the value (it's supposed to be an 11) into 09 and save it.

It'd be cool if someone could make an actual patch for it and added to the wiki, though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:36:07 PM by Wriggle »

Byronyello

• "The Western Non-Otaku That Respects and Likes Touhou"
  • I guess that'd be my title in a Touhou game...
Wow. I've never used the replay patch, but to think of all of the problems associated with it, this discovery is pretty awesome. Thanks in advance if I ever need the bloody thing.
(Strike-through indicates a clear)
Hard Clears: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.
Lunatic Clears: Someday, perhaps.
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB, PCB Phantasm, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
The patch worked fine, though. Are you saying it'll fix up the font? Because that was the only thing that changed. That, and the fact that high scores for individual stages aren't recorded anymore, but that's a given (f anything it proves the patch does what it's meant to do).

I was curious, though!

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a '09'. Couldn't find the missing 'h' though, so I may as well be off. It's not like I know what I'm doing here.

Oh, the h is useless indeed, just removed it. And it's a 09 because you opened the japanese patched one with the derp font :V. If you open your English patched version (with the "e" in its icon), it'll be an 11. Just change that 11 into 09 and save, that you'll have your lovely English version with a pretty font and replays. :3
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 08:48:46 PM by Wriggle »

BT

• I never talk to you
... I don't think it's the Japanese version. It says English patch in the menu and all. Actually, I'm really not sure what's what after patching the game because I tried so many different things. ::)

Goldom

• Whee
Excellent discovery! Ah hex editors, reminds me of messing around with games on Mac OS 7... Still, don't think I want to give up stage scores for replays personally, oh well.

... I don't think it's the Japanese version. It says English patch in the menu and all. Actually, I'm really not sure what's what after patching the game because I tried so many different things. ::)

The thing on the menu is because you use the english patch's textures. But the exe is the japanese one, hence the messed up font. The actual english patched exe has the icon with an E in it.

(If you can't find it, it's possibly because Windows 7/8 makes some kind of cache of the icons (eg. if  you had the japanese version as thxx.exe, and rename it into something else, and then rename the english one into thxx.exe, it'll keep the japanese exe's icon, but it's just an "illusion", and its actual icon still has the e)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:06:40 PM by Wriggle »

BT

• I never talk to you
I backtracked a bit. The "replay patch" wasn't a patch - it was an application. How do I "patch" that application to English?

Indeed, just like vpatch, the one in the wiki isn't actually a patch. :V

Well, other than the weird chinese patch that fails 80% of the time, there isn't a patch yet, that's the other reason of making this thread, as hopefully there's someone who knows how to make a patch that'd change that specific value similar to the one that fixes UFO's scorecounter, without a bunch of nonsense that makes it fail to patch most of the time (like the chinese one that's probably lost by now).

And you aren't supposed to patch that "application" into English, as the English patch will refuse it because due to it being patched, its checksum will change as well. So basically, just find where's your old English patched version (renaming your dats back to th06_xx.dat if needed) and manually "patch" it by changing the 11 in the offset 0002D835 into 09.

(if you lost your English EXE, I can upload my patched one and post it in here or PM you if it's against the rules, idk)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:44:35 PM by Wriggle »

BT

• I never talk to you
... Oh.

Basically, the "patch" isn't necessary at all? You enable replays by changing that one value?

:V

Edit: No need, I have it. Regardless, I don't think a 500kb .exe that doesn't function without the ~*~actual game~*~ is going to break any rules. Maybe.

Editedit: Well, I tried it, it didn't exactly work - it's saying it's not a valid Win32 application anymore. (that's when you open the application - the vpatch application fails outright) This is why backups are useful. :>
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:55:55 PM by BT »

Lol yeah. The "patch" was actually just an already-patch EXE. :V

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Seems useful. I'd prefer to keep my stage high scores recorded normally, but I'll probably make a copy of the .exe file with this change, and swap it in whenever I decide to go for another stage perfect or something (which should score lower than bombing for score anyway).

BT

• I never talk to you
Seems useful. I'd prefer to keep my stage high scores recorded normally, but I'll probably make a copy of the .exe file with this change, and swap it in whenever I decide to go for another stage perfect or something (which should score lower than bombing for score anyway).
You don't have to be strict about it. For example, perfecting the stage portion of Stage 6 doesn't really add anything to the accomplishment. It's actually more impressive if you get a higher score, so I usually end up bombing.

I'll try messing around with this tomorrow, I guess. For now I'm assuming it's something I did wrong.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
You don't have to be strict about it. For example, perfecting the stage portion of Stage 6 doesn't really add anything to the accomplishment. It's actually more impressive if you get a higher score, so I usually end up bombing.
Um, that's already the view I have about perfect runs. I'd never thought about it in the context of EoSD 6, but there are at least a few stages like that (MoF 6 comes to mind).

Though for EoSD single-stage scoring purposes, won't farming canceled bullets off the boss by bombing in the corner (especially with ReimuB's bomb) result in a higher score than capturing everything? That's what I meant when I said bombing for score.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 10:32:42 PM by Karisa »

BT

• I never talk to you
Though for EoSD single-stage scoring purposes, won't farming canceled bullets off the boss by bombing in the corner (especially with ReimuB's bomb) result in a higher score than capturing everything? That's what I meant when I said bombing for score.
I'm not sure about captures vs bullet cancels (case by case?), but there's no reason not to use bombs on the nonspell patterns, I suppose.

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
Isn't it easier to apply the patch using Cheat Engine, like with the counterstop patch?

Here's a patch executable attempt: http://www.mediafire.com/?ys5x9hm44keax2b

Worked on both English and Japanese (with the box 1 and 2 checked) versions here.

BT

• I never talk to you
It worked for me. Good work and thanks.

PMW

• Touhou is only hard when you try
    • My tumblr
Um, I tried to download the patch thing and my antivirus says it's a trojan or something...

False-positive. (after you patch you can delete the patcher anyway so your antivirus will stop annoying you :V)

EDIT: Just made an online scanning, and only AntiVir finds it suspect.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 03:52:35 PM by Wriggle »