Author Topic: Is It (REALLY)Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? [DanMachi Thread]  (Read 12033 times)

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*

"Hestia is Bestia"

For some reason this has become more popular than I expected. "Hestia is Bestia" seem to have spawned only a few days, or a week ago.

After the first episode which aired on April 3rd I think. Hestia's so damn popular she already has loads of fanart. There are also fanart of other female characters with twintails, cosplaying as Hestia. Such as a well-endowed likeness, Noire from Neptunia, or the lesser extent, the physique of Tone from Kantai Collection. :V

Probably mostly having to do with her underboob string, her twintails, and the fact she is a 16 yr. old oppai loli Goddess. knowyourmeme already approved this. With also a site that has spawned after the opening theme of their dance(shown above), solely with them just dancing to the tune of Fairly Odd Parents' "My Shiny Teeth and Me". Her popularity is so high, Kotobukiya already made a preview of their upcoming figure. Alongside comes Max Factory's upcoming draft of a figure as well. :derp:

I'll be honest, I haven't watched the show yet, because I'm piling up the episodes until around 6, probably. I just viewed the series being the generic animu it is. Then surprisingly, almost my entire newsfeed in facebook, twitter, and tumblr has posts of Hestia, or anything related to her, in it. I expect it'll die down soon, still she's pretty popular.

Anyways, I posted a thread here, 'cause I was surprised the craze hasn't caught up here yet for a thread to be posted.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 02:17:24 PM by En »

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Bio

• resident walker
She's popular because she's got a bunch of popular character traits slapped together.
Also pretty fun and easy to draw.
Other than that eh.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
or the lesser extent, the physique of Tone from Kantai Collection. :V

I personally think Iku fits the role more :V

Hrusa

• /u/Hrusa
The way pixiv works at least is that these popular things are spreading exponentially. The more people draw Hestia the more people will also decide to draw Hestia. I haven't seen a single episode yet, but I already did my take on Hina Hestia. Its hard to resist these trends.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
I haven't watched this anime either, but I know that this girl is all over the place on danbooru. Might as well call it hestiabooru now.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

MewMewHeart

• Hermit Mode on!
  • Just chilling like a hermit.
Hestia even invaded Himeuta channel too seriously this is gonna be a bigger meme than Attack on Titian's OP is.
My danmakucopter goes pew pew pew!

Check out my newb PAD box it's a thing right?

Sixten

• Legendary Creature - Frog
  • 6/10
    • House of Sixten
The aircraft carrier girl Ryujo in Kancolle actually has a fair amount of Hestia crossover fanart. Ryujo is short and wears her hair in twintails, like Hestia Some of Ryujo's dialogue reminds me of Hestia as well. Ryujo does, however, lack some of Hestia's... essential attributes.

I sold my soul to Japan Creative Staff in 2005, so I have a positive bias toward any show they produce. My personal blog is called H.C. (Heart's Content) Staff for a reason. Of course, J.C.Staff sometimes puts out shows that are so bad that even I have to admit it.

Having seen the first two episodes of Danmachi, I would say it isn't quite that bad.

I rather like how much like a video game it feels. Item drops, level grinding, and increasing monster difficulty based on the dungeon floor are all present. Hestia uses her power to literally display Bell's character sheet, complete with numeric ability scores, to show him how his power is increasing. Bell has a powerful passive ability that increases his experience gain and stat growth as long as he's in love with a girl. Hestia knows this, but chooses to hide this information from Bell, for reasons that actually make sense in the story, but may not exactly be wise.

So far, the show's biggest weakness is the large number of times it made me say, "Why don't they just do [insert course of action here]"? and "Shouldn't a city like this have someone who..."

Toward the end of the second episode, when an ape-like monster is released into the marketplace, there were a number of times when the thing I logically expected to happen based on earlier events, didn't happen.

Some of the "Why don't they..." and "Why didn't this happen..." questions get answered to my satisfaction later, but some do not. It makes certain events seem too convenient, or certain characters seem too stupid.

I still hold out hope for the show even if you don't count my pro-J.C.Staff bias, because I like the characters. Bell is a nice guy who owns his mistakes and does his best to make up for them. He starts off as a wimp who doesn't know the value of being in an adventuring party, but everything indicates he won't stay that way for long. One time Bell gets humiliated by a veteran adventurer while at a tavern, and runs away. But the next day he returns to pay for the food he ate. It's a minor detail, but things like that make me think Bell is a worthy hero, despite his relatively shallow motivation. (He wants to be a stronger fighter so the warrior-princess who saved his life will notice him.) As an aside, it is kind of annoying how so many of the girls in the show like him, but if you've seen enough anime you can deal with it.

The original title of Danmachi is "Familia Myth." I like the various gods from Greek and other ancient mythologies, and how they have been translated into anime form. Did you know that in Greek mythology, Hestia is the elder sister of Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon? I knew Greek Hestia was a patron of hearth and home, but don't know any famous myths involving her. Just like Greek Hestia, Danmachi Hestia lives in the shadow of the more famous and powerful gods. Hephaestus (who is male in Greek mythology, but not in Danmachi) behaves like you would expect the god of smiths to behave if she turned to capitalism. Apollo and Hermes haven't appeared yet, but I'm interested to see what they are like.

The show is fun, Hestia is cute and except for a few... attributes, she reminds me of my Kancolle ship-waifu, Ryujo. Unless the story goes completely off a cliff, that's good enough for me.

yuyukos

• ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give Techies
  • ༼ つ ◕◡◕ ༽つ Techies were given.
OP already said everything that needed to be said in the first line, thread is success. :V

On a less memetic note, this show is an 'only ok' show. It's relaxing to watch and I'm enjoying it, but it's popularity owes more to Hestia's character than any other element.
TF2Items | TF2B | Steam | Twitter
3DS FC - 2165-6416-7852

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
"Is it really wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon" sounds like the opening line of a Seinfeld schtick

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
I've got to watch this.  I keep seeing it everywhere and it seems like a genuinely fun show.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
The staff behind this are decent which makes this show better than the other "boy picks up girls in dungeon" shows.

Seriously though. If the Hestia fad appeals to you you're better off following the Hestia fad, the show isn't anything special.

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
Nothing special, sure, but it's still fun.  I look forward to seeing how this develops.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
Manga had a bunch of people raging over misogyny issues. I love the animation in this though, even if story not so great.

EDIT: Also, picking up girls in a dungeon is wrong.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 02:55:11 PM by Bardiche »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
I'm really enjoying this show and I only started watching because the internet was going crazy for boobstring

i have no interest in watching this but i keep thinking the male protag looks cuter than hestia. why doesn't he get fanart? please explain this misandry

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
i have no interest in watching this but i keep thinking the male protag looks cuter than hestia. why doesn't he get fanart? please explain this misandry

Because:
boobstring

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever

He's like, "I wanna help u cus ure a girl", which is obviously reinforcing the patriarchy. Can't draw fanart of that man

Manga had a bunch of people raging over misogyny issues. I love the animation in this though, even if story not so great.

EDIT: Also, picking up girls in a dungeon is wrong.

Let them rage over their imaginary issues, it just makes things funnier, lols.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
I fail to see the hype over this anime or the girl. I've seen some art here and there and I'm just like 'meh'. It's not bad but it's not what I'd call good; and I'm certainly not one to fall into blatantly 'sex sells' character designs.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
The animation is gorgeous during fights but goddamn are the characters one dimensional.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra