Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 136609 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
if it weren't for the fact that the boss practically fills the screen with bullets...It's almost as if they deliberately designed the boss to ensure the player would use up all their lives and bombs defeating it. =P I still think it's a bit unfair, especially to those perfectionists who try to do the daring 1LC.
The kind of person who would realistically actually go for that would probably find the boss a reasonable challenge rather than an impossible wall; those are the people the TLBs are designed for (and pretty much the only people that will actually reach them anyway). The TLBs often aren't that much harder than the rest of the game; for Dodonpachi, for example, it's pretty much just a straight line difficulty curve, with Hibachi being a little tougher than stage 2-6.
Let's fight.

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 07:44:35 PM »
Personally I think TLBs like that are for players who can push the game to its very limits; they take away any fairness and introduce one final no-bullshit challenge to stand between a player and their mastering of the game. Also, I think it's just plain exciting seeing someone fight down to the very wire and still win. :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 08:12:27 PM »
if it weren't for the fact that the boss practically fills the screen with bullets...It's almost as if they deliberately designed the boss to ensure the player would use up all their lives and bombs defeating it. =P I still think it's a bit unfair, especially to those perfectionists who try to do the daring 1LC.
IMO Cave tries to satisfy everyone, including superplayers.

Newbies get beginner and every practice unlocked for the 360 ports, normal shmup players get a new first loop to 1cc and even the best players out there get a challenge in the form of a hidden TLB with unknown requirements.

Hibachi isn't Flandre :V

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:16 PM »
I guess I could do that...But I don't play for score; there's no real point in it for me, since A- someone's already gotten a high score already, B- it's very hard to get high scores to begin with, C- high score charts are overrated to me. Another thing that makes it hard is that you have to maintain your concentration for about 30 minutes per touhou game (give or take), and it's hard to maintain that level of concentration near the end when the games get to be their hardest. I just feel bad about failing and that de-motivates me.

score in well-made shmups isn't a minor feature (like in, for example, Super Mario Bros); said well-made shmups are made with the scoring mechanic in mind. It helps measure your current abilities better than 1ccs imho.

A ) when most people play for score, most of the times they will try to reach and surpass their own current highscore. When they get experienced enough, then they may try to compare their abilities with other people's.

B ) it may be difficult, but there are many shmups with lenient scoring mechanics, where intermediate players can score decently without risking themselves too much (Touhou examples: some easy places to graze, or some easy spellcard captures that usually don't make you bomb). However, more rewarding tricks would also be equally more risky.

C ) not only does scoring high demand deeper knowledge about the game, following scoring strategies and using the game's system to your advantage is very rewarding and fun. Personally, when I feel I'm gaining a lot of points, I think that very few things in the game I'm playing (at my current gameplay level) could top that feeling.

about the "endurance" factor, that would be similar to me trying to play Phantasm Romance 2.5 Plus to see how far can I go without dying (just to train myself). I don't play with the intention of really 1lc-ing the game, but to try to push my best marks further and further. Persistence will help you improve, but willpower alone, without learning from previous failures, will most of the times lead to further frustration. (which, as I like to say, can result from the player knowing that there's something wrong with how he/she's playing the game, but not being able to see how this problem could be solved or how he/she could minimize the chances of failure)

and it's hard to maintain that level of concentration near the end when the games get to be their hardest.

suggestion: Play Varth (the non-japanese version, which is check-point based) for survival, and try to push yourself further and further into the game (I strongly recommend that you use Autofire). You'll actually get to like the anxiety and try to see the later stages again. (another suggestion would be Thunder Dragon 2, however this game's not as intimidating/intense as Varth)

I just feel bad about failing and that de-motivates me.
with more practice, you'll start to foresee the game you're playing, and instinctively learn how to keep yourself alive, without realizing it. (the so-called "memory muscles".. or brick wall of bad habits)
Or, perhaps you're following a riskier gameplay, without realizing that there are easier solutions that would give you the same rewards. In this case, it's totally okay to look for help and even copy their tactics. Copying doesn't make you a bad player, as long as you understand what you're doing.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 11:26:46 PM »
Bleh. DS 8-6 is giving me the fits. I get the feeling that I'm just trying to force my way through it instead of doing it the right way. Oh well, I'll figure it out..

Spoke too soon. :V
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:33:12 PM by Aisha »

Matsuri

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2010, 02:23:37 AM »
81/108 right now. Everything captured from stages 1-6, 11, and SP.

Shou, Iku, and Koishi can all go burn in hell right now.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2010, 02:51:04 AM »
I haven't had much time to play this week, but I'm currently working on 9-2, and have everything before it captured. I can tell that I'm going to love Stage 9 very much.  ::)

81/108 right now. Everything captured from stages 1-6, 11, and SP.

Shou's 7-1 and 7-7...holy shit. It's like everything I don't like about UFO packaged into two spellcards. :|

Matsuri

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2010, 02:57:31 AM »
Spoiler:
Iku is Shou on acid... with FEVER.

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 02:58:18 AM »
here's a strategy for 5-8 that I've.. pulled somehow.. (seeing people not try to play for score in youtube makes me feel less obsolete :p)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Matsuri

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2010, 03:00:22 AM »
If there's a gold camera by the scene, I consider it scored well. :V

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2010, 03:15:59 AM »
A lot of my progress in DS was erased a few days ago without explanation, and since then I've sort of lost my drive for playing it (not that I was all that far).

I played some RFJ, and I like it so far.  I should read a guide so I can find out how to get those yellow gold bars to appear, since I've only managed to trigger it twice.

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
Pretty much, yeah. Whenever I start to feel I'm pretty good at danmaku, that's the vid I watch to make me think 'yeahhhhhhh maybe not'. :V Best I've done on that boss was 12 deaths or something crazy like that.

JUST 12??

Anyway, I haven't been playing a lot of Cave lately, mainly because I'm playing a good amount of Gradius V. The game's awesome, but totally kicking my ass at the moment. I'm probably having a difficult time with it because I'm not used to playing horizontal, non-bullet hell shmups.
On a side note, I have no idea when I'll have that arcade stick. I decided to get it off Amazon rather than Play-Asia, since the product and shipping would cost me a little over $60 and Amazon had free shipping at a $50 dollar price tag. God, why must this genre be so expensive??

Matsuri

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2010, 03:46:11 AM »
A lot of my progress in DS was erased a few days ago without explanation, and since then I've sort of lost my drive for playing it (not that I was all that far).

I played some RFJ, and I like it so far.  I should read a guide so I can find out how to get those yellow gold bars to appear, since I've only managed to trigger it twice.

Easy. Chain all of the regular medals into one huge one, and grab it. Then find a place where there are... I think 10? medals on the screen at once (don't collect or chain them) and then they'll explode. From then on, all of your medals will be the gold bars, which grow in value each time you consecutively pick them up without letting any pass.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 03:49:11 AM »
BEES

BEES

DAMN 9CC

DAMN BEES

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 03:49:24 AM »
I thought it was 9 medals.

Which would mean just find a Miclus and destroy it while you're not on it. Destroying it while you're on it is good for getting the medal value up once you're in X-medal mode.

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2010, 03:59:19 AM »
Are you guys talking about Deathsmilies or Double Spoiler?  ???

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2010, 04:00:54 AM »
I thought it was 9 medals.

Which would mean just find a Miclus and destroy it while you're not on it. Destroying it while you're on it is good for getting the medal value up once you're in X-medal mode.

Yeah, it's 9 medals.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

Matsuri

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2010, 05:00:05 AM »
It was either 9 or 10, I couldn't remember.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2010, 05:03:28 AM »
S1 - all BEES acquired
S2 - all BEES acquired
S3 - missed one of the BEES
S4 - the hell with this

Out of curiosity, do you still get the bonus for the next level/second loop if you die in the middle of your chain of BEES?  Because if not, and you have to get through each stage portion without dying to pull off the second loop of BEES...rage.

And does it have to be 4 levels in a row?  Can I skip S4 and get them in S5?  And if I continue, does that sink it?

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Formless God

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »

Koishi is a lot of nonsense, but she has Embryo's Dream, which is the best spellcard of DS. I cannot complain :V

Tenshi should've been the one to go burn. She's a big disappointment.

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:28 AM »
Satori's nukes in 9-3 are...interesting. They sure do crank the score up, though.

And does it have to be 4 levels in a row?  Can I skip S4 and get them in S5?  And if I continue, does that sink it?

I don't think the stages have to be consecutive, but I'm pretty sure you can't continue. Assuming you're talking about DDP.

EDIT: Why do I always end up getting the first post at the top of each new page?  :ohdear:

Matsuri

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 05:30:03 AM »
Koishi is a lot of nonsense, but she has Embryo's Dream, which is the best spellcard of DS. I cannot complain :V

Just cleared 9-3, 9-6, and 9-7. My head hurts now.

How the hell are you supposed to do 9-2, by the way?

Formless God

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 05:39:38 AM »
You should've checked his channel more regularly :V
I slapped myself several times in the face after watching it (wait, face ?).

9-7 and 9-8 ... let's not talk about them >_>

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 05:42:43 AM »
I didn't get 9-2 until I realized how quickly your camera charges when you're flying around unfocused while Koishi has her blue hearts out.

Matsuri

« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »
9-7 is no skill, all luck. I don't care what you say. :V

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2010, 05:58:15 AM »
I totally loathe 9-3 at the moment.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2010, 06:04:38 AM »

I'm working on that one at the moment too. :V When she's planting the explosions she leaves a gap. You just have to watch for it while diverting the aimed explosions away, and then work your way towards it, through the green shit. It's still stupidly easy to misjudge where the explosions are though; it always gets me.

Formless God

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 06:07:06 AM »
9-7 is no skill, all luck. I don't care what you say. :V

Exactly :V

All I know about that card is the safespot right at the center
Spoiler:
on the first wave
. Dropped it after 4 tries. I don't get how many people consider this the most "fun" SC of DS.

Because there are more awesome stuff like circling around Yamame in 3-4 and Emb(ry BV

Matsuri

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 06:12:05 AM »
The trick to surviving 9-3 is to not take pictures when the nukes explode, but when she first deploys them. If you clear them before they disappear, that area will stay clear as well.

Bananamatic

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2010, 01:28:48 PM »
9-7 is fap material