Author Topic: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees  (Read 136582 times)

Matsuri

STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« on: March 17, 2010, 05:37:23 AM »
Tired of hunting HUGE BATTLESHIP fish? How about bugs or bees?

Hosted by Matsyhimesama, Age 20. :V
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 05:43:17 AM by Matsuri »

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting Bees
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:40:31 AM »
I see what you did there.
Anyway, I've been playing a lot of SNES/PCE/MD shmups lately. Slap Fight is a pretty awesome game on the Genesis.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: STG Thread Stage 4 ~ Like the Night of Hunting BEES
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »
much better

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 06:37:22 AM »
For some reason Cave's stage 4 tracks usually end up becoming some of my favorites.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:47:05 AM »
Ditto. But also lately, the Final stages of a lot of CAVE games are pretty favourable too. Futari <3

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 06:51:29 AM »
Oh yeah, Futari's stage 5 is great. I love the energy it provides to accent the pace of the stage. Maybe one day I'll be able to actually play it. :V

Formless God

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:46 AM »
Dammit, I just need Cave's final decision to port DFK to buy a 360. Along with Futari and Ketsui and all the awesomeness.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 06:54:33 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSInsftt5Xg
If you have a Sega Genesis emulator, you owe it to yourself to try out this little gem. This is the closest thing to a vertical Gradius you're ever going to get (That isn't Salamander).

ebarrett

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:18:39 AM »
Dammit, I just need Cave's final decision to port DFK to buy a 360.
+1

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 12:42:02 PM »
I bought my first shmup, Otomedius Gorgeous for the 360.

I was not a happy man. Especially when I chose this over Raiden 4.

I've the cash now and feel the urge to buy another shmup for 360, any recommendations?

Or I should wait for Alltynex 2nd at comiket, IIRC.
"... but what is certain is that the average consumer will continue to rest easy on his Record of Agarest War pillow case knowing that his games will continue to be packaged with things that he will never look at or use" - Jeremy Petter - ENN

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 01:38:41 PM »
I'll take Otomedius off your hands. I need to grab a copy (as I am a completionist).
Oh... next month will have Ketsui and Senko no Ronde 2. Definitely save up for Ketsui.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 02:09:33 PM by SFKhoa »

lumber_of_the_beast

Matsuri

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:38:05 PM »
I bought my first shmup, Otomedius Gorgeous for the 360.

I was not a happy man. Especially when I chose this over Raiden 4.

I've the cash now and feel the urge to buy another shmup for 360, any recommendations?

Or I should wait for Alltynex 2nd at comiket, IIRC.

Mushihimesama Futari.

c'mon you can't say you didn't see that coming from a mile away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSInsftt5Xg
If you have a Sega Genesis emulator, you owe it to yourself to try out this little gem. This is the closest thing to a vertical Gradius you're ever going to get (That isn't Salamander).

V-Five.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:28:04 PM »
ESPGaludaII dispatched today, so maybe it'll be here soonish. \o/ Should be very interesting to play; I only know the basics of Arcade mode and basically nothing about any of the others. I will be disappointed if I'm not incredibly confused by fifteen minutes into any of the modes. :V
Let's fight.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »
bees?
I'm willing to guess the new boss will have just one HUGEASS bullet that fills the screen and cannot be dodged/countered. Seriously, what is with CAVE and them putting impossible bosses at the end of their games?

Matsuri

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »
ESPGaludaII dispatched today, so maybe it'll be here soonish. \o/ Should be very interesting to play; I only know the basics of Arcade mode and basically nothing about any of the others. I will be disappointed if I'm not incredibly confused by fifteen minutes into any of the modes. :V

I'm still confused.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 01:03:19 AM »
impossible bosses
None of them are impossible, you just have to practice until you're this good. Alternatively, you could just play DDP's Hibachi which is easy enough that even I can do it. (:V)

'Course, you'll never be this good. :o

I'm still confused.
\o/
Let's fight.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »
I'm willing to guess the new boss will have just one HUGEASS bullet that fills the screen and cannot be dodged/countered. Seriously, what is with CAVE and them putting impossible bosses at the end of their games?

If a danmaku game can be consistently beaten by a human being, then technically it is completely fair.

However, aside from that restriction, anything and everything is fair game. ^_^

ebarrett

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 03:06:00 AM »
If a danmaku game can be consistently beaten by a human being, then technically it is completely fair.
Define "human being".  :V

Formless God

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 04:31:44 AM »
None of them are impossible, you just have to practice until you're this good. Alternatively, you could just play DDP's Hibachi which is easy enough that even I can do it. (:V)

Watching that last pattern made me think you'd be invincible during hyper :V

Define "human being".  :V

We're not there yet BV

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 04:42:08 AM »
None of them are impossible, you just have to practice until you're this good.

Now that's how we fuckin' play. Must... Train.... Harder...!

Matsuri

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 04:45:36 AM »
ISO is a beast. Wow.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 06:24:51 AM »
I still don't like how CAVE (and a lot of companies that make shmups in general) make their games so hard that it alienates the less hardcore players. I stopped playing Touhou a while ago because it was so hard, my interest in the games started to decline after 1CCing PCB on Easy. Even then, I was really overwhelmed and stressed; maybe it's because I grew up playing easier games, or it's just me (I have a slight case of ASD). I could practice, but more often than not I screw up, and I feel the grind just isn't worth it. I need to be motivated to play Touhou again somehow.

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »
You have to consider that CAVE is primarily an arcade developer, as are the majority of shmup developers. Their main business model revolves around making other people money by selling them games that are both compelling and difficult to keep people coming back and paying for credits. (Which does indeed lead to problems, like alienation.) If people aren't dying, operators aren't making money; you also can't have people using a machine for 30 minutes each time and only putting a single credit into it over that time because the game is so easy that they can 1LC it. That being said, CAVE has now been taking accessibility into account when it comes to home ports of their games, what with all the novice modes and such in Futari, Espgaluda II, and whatever DeathSmiles has going on.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 07:03:47 AM »
That's another thing I seem to have trouble with...Logic. Of course, I don't see something like that until someone explains it to me.  :V  But at least it's nice to know it's not ZOMGHARD all the time when it comes to shmups. I usually play to blow stuff up, not dodge stuff, but that doesn't mean I can't do it. I'm just not good at it.  :ohdear:

Formless God

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 07:05:58 AM »
I stopped playing Touhou a while ago because it was so hard, my interest in the games started to decline after 1CCing PCB on Easy. Even then, I was really overwhelmed and stressed;

It happens to everyone. I used to get kicked around miserably by Normal (back then I couldn't even clear Byaku in Practice). But luckily ...

motivation

I have this BV

I need to be motivated to play Touhou again somehow.

Visiting HME every day and watch the better players' progress is what motivates me. And most of the time it's from their replays and 'Tube.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 07:18:56 AM »
Visiting HME every day and watch the better players' progress is what motivates me. And most of the time it's from their replays and 'Tube.
I guess I could do that...But I don't play for score; there's no real point in it for me, since A- someone's already gotten a high score already, B- it's very hard to get high scores to begin with, C- high score charts are overrated to me. Another thing that makes it hard is that you have to maintain your concentration for about 30 minutes per touhou game (give or take), and it's hard to maintain that level of concentration near the end when the games get to be their hardest. I just feel bad about failing and that de-motivates me.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 01:35:17 PM »
Now that's how we fuckin' play. Must... Train.... Harder...!
ISO is a beast. Wow.
Pretty much, yeah. Whenever I start to feel I'm pretty good at danmaku, that's the vid I watch to make me think 'yeahhhhhhh maybe not'. :V Best I've done on that boss was 12 deaths or something crazy like that.
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 04:45:12 PM »
Seriously, what is with CAVE and them putting impossible bosses at the end of their games?
you have to satisfy some brutal requirements to reach them

all bee medals, no deaths and 2 bombs at most in the first loop? By the time you get to accomplish that, your shmup skills would make Kefit cry.

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 06:19:03 PM »
you have to satisfy some brutal requirements to reach them

all bee medals, no deaths and 2 bombs at most in the first loop? By the time you get to accomplish that, your shmup skills would make Kefit cry.
if it weren't for the fact that the boss practically fills the screen with bullets...It's almost as if they deliberately designed the boss to ensure the player would use up all their lives and bombs defeating it. =P I still think it's a bit unfair, especially to those perfectionists who try to do the daring 1LC.