Author Topic: Team Fortress 2  (Read 100512 times)

Re: Team Fortress 2
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 12:50:10 AM »
Funny that. I have duplicates of the Eyelander and Direct Hit, but I can't get my hands on a pair of Gunboats. Trying to craft a pair but its going pretty slow. :<

Bananamatic

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2010, 12:51:56 AM »
Why can't they release item trading...I'm sure there are people which are still unable to get a backburner :V

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
From what I've heard, a trade system is supposed to be coming in a later update. Lets hope so.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2010, 01:26:10 AM »
It 'should' be in with the engineer update.

Hopefully, anyways. Just like how we were suppose to hopefully have news on episode 3 in 2010 :(

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:17 AM »
Oh, I should go to my bank account and see how to go about getting Steam games, starting with this and Audiosurf. Thanks for reminding me. :V

Spidere

• My magic finger will make your problems go away
  • But I'm an asshole, so you won't get any of it
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2010, 04:20:50 AM »
God Audiosurf is awesome. I got it for a few bucks and it held my attention for a few weeks.

« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:10 AM »
Trading will be implemented in Valve time.
Maybe after the 2012 election.  :S

« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2010, 04:49:46 AM »
Feeling bad for the other people in this thread that haven't gotten their weapons. My brother went and got all the weapons. Hes a bad boy, and did it all on idles and achievement servers. Only has two hats and the camera beard though.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 07:19:24 AM »
Well, my DL of the game is at 99%, so I guess it's fair for me to start asking questions. I've played some FPS back in the day, but it's been a while...

Is there a good way to get a feel for different classes without having to play out in the open? If I pick up a Medic and suck, I'd prefer for it to not affect any records the game keeps track of, although I doubt that's possible... On the same note, is there a good way to learn the various maps other than in a public game?

Also, since I'll be starting 100% fresh, I don't have any of the special weapons or anything. Am I going to be at any major disadvantage, or am I basically just missing extra options?

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 07:49:17 AM »
@Jana

You can open servers for yourself to play on, but live matches will train you best.
There isn't any real ranking system so you won't have to worry about sucking.
The unlockable weapons are just side grades so you won't be at a terrible disadvantage if you don't have them.

Seventh Holy Scripture

• Err... d'ya need somethin' from me?
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 10:16:47 AM »
If you create your own server, you can play with bots on a King Of The Hill map. They don't know how to play other game modes like CTF or CP yet, though.

http://www.tfportal.de/?site=faq&cat=3 - first enable the developer console
http://www.tfportal.de/?site=faq&cat=1 - than create your own server and type tf_bot_add a bunch of times

I used these to grind a bunch of soldier and demoman achievements and unlock the weapons slightly less dishonestly than on an achievement server. >_> You'll probably learn more by playing against humans, but be prepared to lose; sometimes the other team is just better.

If you're feeling like a burden to your team, just go Medic yourself, then you don't have to worry about doing damage. Engineer is another fairly easy class, but if you try that out please learn to build a teleporter for your team; very little is more useless than an engineer with no teleporter.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2010, 02:46:33 PM »
At first I played whatever, then after the WAR update I used Scout with the default loadout and I murderize the demos and other classes. I play Sniper when we are in an open map with no one playing Sniper. I use the Huntsman when I just want to kill without actually aiming. I use Engie or Medic when I feel like being credit to team. Demo with Scottish Resistance when I want to defend. Sometimes I play Heavy and get a lot of points in games like KOTH. A lot of people say that Heavy is the weakest character but when played right they can devastate a team. I once healed a Heavy with a Koishi avatar who got a 60 kill streak.

Bananamatic

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 03:20:57 PM »
TF2 is pretty simple and more casual than most FPS - honestly, I still haven't seen an extreme skiller or a complete newb.
There is very little aiming involved and most classes can't headshot.

It's more about learning the basics, game mechanics and the rest is teamplay.
Unless you are a griefer or completely clueless, you aren't going to be a burden to the team.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 03:32:22 PM »
Unless you are a griefer or completely clueless, you aren't going to be a burden to the team.
On this note, here's some tips for starting out:

-If you use the Backburner for anything other than ambushing people at the start gate when on defense at the beginning of the round, your team's going to automatically label you a griefer.
-Don't use the Cloak and Dagger until you're comfortable using the default invisibility watch.  It promotes camping, which nobody appreciates (you'll probably see this guaranteed if you use it in arena and constantly end up as the last person alive on your team).
-On the above note, don't play Spy starting out.  The class requires understanding of how the rest of the classes behave to truly blend in (or you could play like comp players and just whore out the scout disguise and deal with the fact everyone will recognize you).
-Good beginning classes are Pyro, Engineer and Heavy, as they have a decently high skill floor.
-When playing Medic, remember that after healing for long enough you'll gain an ubercharge, which gives you and your patient temporary invulnerability (or 100% crit rate if you're using the Kritzkrieg).  Similarly, if you're about to die, remember that popping an uber early on something useless and gaining time for your HP to recover is better than not using it at all.

honestly, I still haven't seen an extreme skiller or a complete newb.
http://tf2lobby.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHw9M1wdVE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nuAbJvmh_g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2Xzpd-EyuM

And now you have. :V
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:39:21 PM by Esoterica »

Bananamatic

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2010, 04:07:21 PM »
eegfopmwfnkgniopgůgnkpgnopaqSGRgsgsgomlomoegfmklůsdgmlů
sdglůmsdgmlů
SDGML"SDGML"
sdglůmdgmlů
dgmlůDGmlůGsdklů
gsdmgůsd"GJLBSgo?ůgje(o/gtnEa

FUCK THIS SHIT
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME VALVE
THIS ISN'T FUNNY

« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
...somehow I found a Jarate without even being in-game.  I haven't even started the game up in the past 12 hours.

Bananamatic

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2010, 05:56:36 PM »
OH HAHAHA
LOL VALVE

so I get another targe before I get the demoman achievements for the eyelander.
so i get the eyelander(FINALLY!), finish the round...and I GET ANOTHER EYELANDER

WHAT
THE
FUCK

« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
Valve needs to fix the damn Jarate Chop achievement.

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2010, 06:27:24 PM »
It doesn't help that jarate chop and the pyro's "kill six people with your axe in one life" are pretty tough achievements in the first place.

(On another note the pyro's one million fire damage achievement is pretty much the slowest thing ever, unless you achievement farm it.)

Bananamatic

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2010, 06:31:25 PM »
So the eyelander is...awesome indeed.
Nothing compares to outrunning a scout before slicing his head off. :V

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 08:11:32 PM »
So the eyelander is...awesome indeed.
Nothing compares to outrunning a scout before slicing his head off. :V
It's all fun and games until people start using guns against your medieval weaponry. :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2010, 08:44:52 PM »
It's all fun and games until people start using guns against your medieval weaponry. :V
That's why you have a plan B :V

I was mostly sniper, but over Sunday I've played the demoman so much that now I have 2 hours over the sniper and rising. Because chopping heads off is manly :V

Seriously though, is the demoman really overpowered?
He doesn't have high HP and gives up sticky jump for more resistance.
Axtinguisher combo is also apparently even more OP than the eyelander.

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2010, 09:15:32 PM »
I killed a 'spycrab' and... I got kicked from the server.

Seriously?  I think I'll just chill with my friends on their 24/7 Pipeline server then.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
I killed a 'spycrab' and... I got kicked from the server.

Seriously?  I think I'll just chill with my friends on their 24/7 Pipeline server then.

YOU MONSTER! You your whole account should be banned for what you did!

Actually I kill spycrabs too, just for the free points

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2010, 10:06:10 PM »
That's why you have a plan B :V

I was mostly sniper, but over Sunday I've played the demoman so much that now I have 2 hours over the sniper and rising. Because chopping heads off is manly :V

Seriously though, is the demoman really overpowered?
He doesn't have high HP and gives up sticky jump for more resistance.
Axtinguisher combo is also apparently even more OP than the eyelander.
Everything's more OP than a Tard'n'Charge Demo.  One crit that'll usually end up being a mini-crit once every 12 seconds at the cost of 25 HP in melee range only is pretty crap compared to having high-power remote control explosives that can one-shot any class depending on quantity or crits, 25 more HP, and the x2 crit rate the bottle offers.

In unrelated news, I just crafted most of my hats into oblivion.  The precise list being:

-Noble Amassment of Hats
-Brigade Helm
-Bonk Helm
-Otolaryngologist's mirror
-Camera Beard (if that still counts to you)

And ended up with a Yellow Belt, which I won't even use because I have a Panama.  Fuck.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 10:08:09 PM by Esoterica »

Bananamatic

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
One crit that'll usually end up being a mini-crit once every 12 seconds at the cost of 25 HP in melee range only is pretty crap compared to having high-power remote control explosives that can one-shot any class depending on quantity or crits, 25 more HP, and the x2 crit rate the bottle offers.
how much exactly is full and half charge distance? anything past half charge is a crit and below is mini crit? charging at close range seems pretty stupid anyways :V

also doesn't the targe reduce explosion and fire damage by quite a lot?

anyways I like the "combat" setups more than the defensive ones.

never liked sniper rifle+razorback. Frontline sniper with Jarate/Huntsman=fuck yeah

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 10:27:34 PM »
how much exactly is full and half charge distance? anything past half charge is a crit and below is mini crit? charging at close range seems pretty stupid anyways :V

also doesn't the targe reduce explosion and fire damage by quite a lot?

anyways I like the "combat" setups more than the defensive ones.

never liked sniper rifle+razorback. Frontline sniper with Jarate/Huntsman=fuck yeah
No clue, I craft my targes and eyelanders when I get them. :V

50% each, but fire and explosion resistance doesn't stop an Axtinguisher, shotgun, or shovel.

Rifle/SMG > other sniper loadouts. :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2010, 10:31:01 PM »
so in the end, everyone is equal :V

and rifle/smg is boring :V

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2010, 10:32:12 PM »
so in the end, everyone is equal :V

and rifle/smg is boring :V
not as boring as anything/razorback :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2010, 10:35:48 PM »
not as boring as anything/razorback :V
razorback should get replaced with a sign "too lazy to spycheck"
I've even had some completely blind snipers which I've managed to stab twice without them noticing.