Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 3  (Read 69615 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 3
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
>How quickly do we think we could shield the people near her? Slower than she could attack them, even if we acted first?
>Can we see Minoriko and Yuna from here? If so, are they also within range of Semitur?

>It depends on how fast she can get a spell off. She's not armed, so you probably don't have to worry about her physically attacking the downed men. But if she can deploy an offensive spell as fast as you can, then at least one of those two men would die before you could shield them.
>Yes. They are located approximately 100 feet to your east and slightly south, standing close together. Yuna has summoned another one of those odd birds of hers, but this one is hovering off the ground just to her side. They are closer to Semitur than you are, but you're not confidant either one of them can strike her faster than you can. At least, fast enough to stop her from doing something to the stunned men around her.

« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2018, 02:06:19 AM »
>Is it possible for us to cast sub-vocally / without obviously doing anything? Extend a Sapphire Lotus beneath the ground and only 'deploy' it over the police officers at the last moment? (Or any other kind of remote shielding / 'pull people towards us' kind of effects)

« Reply #212 on: April 15, 2018, 04:03:25 PM »
>Is it possible for us to cast sub-vocally / without obviously doing anything? Extend a Sapphire Lotus beneath the ground and only 'deploy' it over the police officers at the last moment? (Or any other kind of remote shielding / 'pull people towards us' kind of effects)

>You believe you can project a Sapphire Lotus through the ground. You don't need to be able to see it to be able to track its movements through the ground. You would, however, have to press your scepter tip to the ground to keep the act completely secret from onlookers. Or get behind cover. They might not be sure what you were doing out in the open, but they would be able to see the beam of blue light.
>You do need to vocalize your spells... Or do you? In thinking about it, you're not actually sure if you NEED to or not. But it certainly helps. Emotions fuel your powers, and calling your attacks does generate a surge of emotion. If you tried to cast without any kind of vocalization, you'd need to use a different method to generate that emotional surge if you want to generate a spell as strong as possible.

« Reply #213 on: April 15, 2018, 05:39:11 PM »
>Would the absolute determination to make sure neither of those men die at Semitur's hands be enough emotional power backing this? It probably doesn't have to be our strongest barrier, if she's not expecting it; it just has to get there first.
>Is our scepter long enough that we could touch it sufficiently to the ground just by appearing that we've lowered our weapons in face of Semitur's threat?

« Reply #214 on: April 16, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »
>Would the absolute determination to make sure neither of those men die at Semitur's hands be enough emotional power backing this? It probably doesn't have to be our strongest barrier, if she's not expecting it; it just has to get there first.
>Is our scepter long enough that we could touch it sufficiently to the ground just by appearing that we've lowered our weapons in face of Semitur's threat?

>Most likely, yes. Your Sapphire Lotus should be enough to handle anything Semitur can cast quickly. If Razorclaw was right, all her really big, really dangerous spells, can't be cast quickly, giving you time to react to them.
>No. You are too tall, and the scepter is too short. You will need to either kneel or crouch.

« Reply #215 on: April 16, 2018, 08:33:15 PM »
>Is there any conveniently high cover within easy reach?
>If not, let's maybe see if we can draw out an opportunity to knee appropriately submissively without provoking suspicion:
>"Do you intend to barter their lives for yours?"

« Reply #216 on: April 16, 2018, 11:18:53 PM »
>Is there any conveniently high cover within easy reach?
>If not, let's maybe see if we can draw out an opportunity to knee appropriately submissively without provoking suspicion:
>"Do you intend to barter their lives for yours?"

>There is a row of benches slightly to your left. A bit farther away on your right is a standing barrier lined with plants. The barrier offers more concealment, but you can reach the benches more easily.
>The Succubus, whom you note is no longer smiling, arches an eyebrow. You make a point not to look directly into her eyes. "And I was beginning to think you couldn't speak." she remarks, before cracking a faint, yet still smug, grin. "Are you offering me something?"

« Reply #217 on: April 17, 2018, 01:20:20 AM »
>"What would it take for you to leave the rest of them out of this?"
>To our allies: I'm going to attempt to project a Sapphire Lotus through the floor and shield those officers, as soon as I can find the opportunity. Be ready for my signal and then hit Semitur with everything you have, alright?

« Reply #218 on: April 17, 2018, 03:12:49 PM »
>"What would it take for you to leave the rest of them out of this?"
>To our allies: I'm going to attempt to project a Sapphire Lotus through the floor and shield those officers, as soon as I can find the opportunity. Be ready for my signal and then hit Semitur with everything you have, alright?

>"Are you extending me a private invitation?"

>Understood. says Kiku.
>I'll be ready. Minoriko assures you.
>Please make it fast, Mistress. Rin says angrily. I can't wait to burn that smirk off her smug face.

« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:19 PM »
>"I'm asking you a question."

« Reply #220 on: April 18, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
>"I'm asking you a question."

>"So am I. But I'll answer yours, rather than continue going in circles. Some information, for a start. How did you find me?"

« Reply #221 on: April 18, 2018, 05:10:05 PM »
>"The aura you've been spreading all over this airport makes you rather hard to miss."

« Reply #222 on: April 18, 2018, 06:04:38 PM »
>"The aura you've been spreading all over this airport makes you rather hard to miss."

>"I MEANT- Never mind." the succubus interrupts herself, shaking her head. "What I WANT, Magical Lotus, is very simple. I will leave, now. And neither you, nor the local mikos, nor the police, will stop me." She sounds very confidant, but the look on her face still belies some discomfort.

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2018, 06:26:01 PM »
>"And in return, you will spare their lives?"

« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2018, 07:23:10 PM »
>"And in return, you will spare their lives?"

>"Yes. After all, I've already accomplished what I came to Mayoiga for, albeit in a most unexpected way."

« Reply #225 on: April 18, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »
>"And what is that?"

« Reply #226 on: April 18, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
>"And what is that?"

>Semitur smiles. "As I said. I wanted to meet you, and your group."

« Reply #227 on: April 18, 2018, 09:17:58 PM »
>"...you came here to meet us?"
>Take stock of ourselves for a moment. Can we be confident that she is not supernaturally influencing us as we speak?

« Reply #228 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:40 PM »
>"...you came here to meet us?"
>Take stock of ourselves for a moment. Can we be confident that she is not supernaturally influencing us as we speak?

>The succubis' smile broadens. "Absolutely."
>Shaking off the reaction that smile gives to your body- which actually tells you that you were wise to check yourself before going any farther with this approach- you do sense an unusual sensation within yourself. But it isn't Semitur's work, you don't think. It feels too hot for that. Not the heat of passion or lust that you might expect a Succubus might instill, but something close to the aura of heat escaping Semitur. Or to put it another way, the aura of Fire.

>This is weird. Lily reports. The firefox and Flan-chan are just... staring at each other.
>She's the Avatar, isn't she? Reisen asks, sounding a bit more pressed than Lily does.

>Byakuren Hijiri Corruption Score: ??

« Reply #229 on: April 19, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
>Is the Avatar's soul still leaking out of Semitur?
>If so, do we have sense of whether this is passive damage from earlier or somehow being accelerated by whatever Semitur is trying to do to us?
>Also: ??? Can we do a little better than that? We absolutely cannot let Semitur sway us, after all.
>For that matter, if we can sense the Avatar of Fire's presence within us - even a little - can we... pull on it? Draw it further out of her by focusing on it ourselves?

« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
>Is the Avatar's soul still leaking out of Semitur?
>If so, do we have sense of whether this is passive damage from earlier or somehow being accelerated by whatever Semitur is trying to do to us?
>Also: ??? Can we do a little better than that? We absolutely cannot let Semitur sway us, after all.
>For that matter, if we can sense the Avatar of Fire's presence within us - even a little - can we... pull on it? Draw it further out of her by focusing on it ourselves?

>Yes, though it seems to have slowed. Semitur may be in more control now.
>You're not certain this is anything Semitur is doing at all. It may be that there's something about you that is resonating with the Avatar's soul.
>Then again, it may not be simply you. The others haven't reported any similar feelings, but you haven't asked them, either.

>Again, this may not really be Semitur's doing. You're fairly confidant it isn't, as you sensed something in her smile that you were able to shake off. If she IS trying to influence you at this moment, it doesn't appear to be working.
>There's a thought. It's possible you may just be able to do that. It depends on how firm a grip Semitur has on her stolen souls, and as you've already sensed, her grip on this one is tenuous at best. However, if such a thing is possible, and you're not sure it is, you wouldn't be able to simply pull it out of the succubus. You'd have to pull it into yourself, and you have no idea what that might to do you. Or to the soul's owner, for that matter. While you have touched souls with people before, this would be an entirely different set of circumstances. Your own soul might overwhelm your captive soul, or the soul might push yours out as you draw it into your body. The two souls may even merge, creating an entirely new existence where once was two. Even if the two souls remained separate, if your body could contain two souls, the soul of the Fire Avatar is unstable. There's no telling what that kind of direct contact would do to you. If you could touch Semitur with your ring, you'd be better able to control the process, but that comes with its own set of risks, even discounting the hostage situation.

« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2018, 06:15:17 PM »
>So, we essentially don't have confidence that we could draw the Avatar's soul out just enough for it to go back to where it belongs, without it going through us first?
>I think you may be right. I can feel her soul myself.
>"Dare I ask why?"
>...and try to avoid eye contact. Resist anything she tries to do to us.

« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2018, 07:19:22 PM »
>So, we essentially don't have confidence that we could draw the Avatar's soul out just enough for it to go back to where it belongs, without it going through us first?
>I think you may be right. I can feel her soul myself.
>"Dare I ask why?"
>...and try to avoid eye contact. Resist anything she tries to do to us.

>Not at this time. You are confidant you could blast it out of her- a powerful dose of either Violet or one of your offensive Lights would probably do it- though you'll need a better opportunity to do so if you wish to save the lives of the fallen people around her. If you could make direct contact with Semitur with your ring, that might work, too, and keep you safe, but again, that isn't really a viable option at this time.

>You can? Minoriko asks.
>I'm not surprised. Kiku remarks. Our leader has a talent for touching souls.

>"Because, my dear, you are an impossible woman." Even without looking the succubus in the eye, you feel a tendril of mystic power touch you with the words 'my dear', but the touch fails to find any purchase on your being. You made your saving throw. "You see... Just a moment." She gestures with her left hand as she pauses her explanation, beckoning the stunned man at her feet. The unconscious Oni sits up and repositions himself on his hands and knees. The demonic woman sits on the big Oni's broad back, using the man as a chair. "Can I offer you a chair?" she asks.

« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2018, 09:15:21 PM »
>"I... think I'll pass."

« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2018, 10:51:06 PM »
>"I... think I'll pass."

>"Please yourself. Any of the rest of you?"
>An angry cursing and shuffling of activity draws your attention back up towards the police chief as Semitur asks her infuriating question. One of her two companions has evidently become properly angry over the sight of seeing her fellow officer, and has advanced towards the railing, leveling her blaster rifle.
>"Miya, wait-!" the chief starts to shout, but it is too late, as Semitur gestures again, an impassive wave of her right hand. A lash of black and purple energy materializes in the air above the three police officers and strikes the ground between them, generating a powerful shockwave of midnight energy that blasts the trio. The chief and the second officer are hurled backwards, out of your line of sight, while the one that had been about to fire on Semitur is propelled over the railing she had been standing in front of.
>"It is rude to interrupt." Semitur chides casually.

« Reply #235 on: April 19, 2018, 11:52:56 PM »
>Can we catch her with a Sapphire Lotus before she hits the ground? If so, we have to try.
>Er, assuming that actually is a dangerous height. Hard to tell in this format....

>Oh, and if we have to catch them and do catch them and Semitur lets us catch them, consider: how close are the other two people she's threatening to where our Sapphire Lotus is now? Could we snake it over them in the same motion that she's permitting, without her having time enough to react at THAT distance? Like, would it be close enough now to her to get away with that?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:18:26 AM by DracoOmega »

« Reply #236 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:22 AM »
>Can we catch her with a Sapphire Lotus before she hits the ground? If so, we have to try.
>Er, assuming that actually is a dangerous height. Hard to tell in this format....

>Oh, and if we have to catch them and do catch them and Semitur lets us catch them, consider: how close are the other two people she's threatening to where our Sapphire Lotus is now? Could we snake it over them in the same motion that she's permitting, without her having time enough to react at THAT distance? Like, would it be close enough now to her to get away with that?

>You can.
>It is. The distance is somewhere around 15 feet. Some non-humans might be able to survive that without too much of a worry, but the falling policewoman appears to be human, and they tend to be among the most fragile of peoples. She probably needs the help, and although White Rose is closer to her, you're better equipped to handle these situations.
>There's a fair bit of distance between the falling police officer and the two hostages in Semitur's immediate vicinity. In fact, she's sitting on one of them at this moment. There's no way you'd be able to sneak a beam out and over the other two officers without giving her time to react. In fact, things might be fairly complicated if you can't figure out a way to get her off her 'chair'.

>So you'll have to make do with helping who you can for now, and a solid beam of Sapphire light neatly fields the falling woman. You can see the damage to her uniform and the black marks on her skin Semitur's spell left on her. The officer is stunned, and you're not certain how long it'll take her to bounce back.
>You hear Rin swear sulfurously in Eire and raise her hands in anger, starting to point at Semitur. Rin, don't! Minoriko calls to her as the succubus speaks, "Ah ah," a warning, as she places her left hand on the back of the Oni officers' head. "Let's keep our cool, shall we?"

« Reply #237 on: April 23, 2018, 01:52:16 AM »
>Do we not think that we can wedge a Sapphire Lotus inbetween Semitur and the oni she is sitting on, while she's sitting on him?
>She's right. Until we get an opportunity to ensure her hostages' safety, we can't afford to provoke her.
>Set the officer we're carrying down.

>"If you attack any more onlookers like that, I might be inclined to doubt your sincerity at letting these ones go unharmed."

« Reply #238 on: April 23, 2018, 02:23:10 AM »
>Do we not think that we can wedge a Sapphire Lotus inbetween Semitur and the oni she is sitting on, while she's sitting on him?
>She's right. Until we get an opportunity to ensure her hostages' safety, we can't afford to provoke her.
>Set the officer we're carrying down.

>"If you attack any more onlookers like that, I might be inclined to doubt your sincerity at letting these ones go unharmed."

>You believe you can, yes. At least, you're pretty sure you can.
>Rin's frustration seethes through your mental link as you deposit the wounded woman upon the ground. She does lower her hands, albeit rather slowly and not completely.
>"You consider someone about to fire upon your person an 'onlooker'?" Semitur asks.

« Reply #239 on: April 23, 2018, 02:41:21 AM »
>"If you'd cared not to send her tumbling over a 15 foot drop, you could have."