Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2  (Read 95404 times)

Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 5, Part 2
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
>"The Protectors fell back after our initial entrance and sight-shielded themselves. I wanted to try taking down their jamming field rather than pursue them while they were concealed, and there was no suitable cover near the entrance to attempt this."
>"The current plan is to disrupt it, and then have everyone else on standby to rush in the very moment we succeed - attempt to capitalize on them being stunned by the backlash."

>Sen cracks her fists together again, making her hands glow once more. "Then get cracking. Nobody gasses me and gets away with it."

« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »
>"Let's see that they don't."
>Convey the situation to the teams posted elsewhere around the airport, then gather our allies here and let's take down the jamming field

« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2017, 03:24:47 PM »
>"Let's see that they don't."
>Convey the situation to the teams posted elsewhere around the airport, then gather our allies here and let's take down the jamming field

>You are unable to contact Poppy. She must already be within the influence of the jamming field.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:39:52 PM by Oldmansour »

« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2017, 05:47:15 PM »
>Then tell Lily and we'll have to send Poppy the message after we bring the field down
>Let's get to work

« Reply #334 on: November 27, 2017, 02:51:50 AM »
>Then tell Lily and we'll have to send Poppy the message after we bring the field down
>Let's get to work

>Lily replies with a mote of hope and her best of luck, since it seems she doesn't like the sensation of the jamming field anymore than you do.
>And with that done, you and your three nearby colleagues set to work. And there's no easy way to do it, given that this blanket of needles has no seem nor edge that you can grab onto. The only way to try and make a seem is to pick a location and thrust your power at it. There's no way to do that without causing yourself some pain, but if that's what's called for, then best to do it fast and get it over with. And do it fast and in one burst. Otherwise the more powerful members of their group might sense what you're up to and be able to counter you. This is gonna be hard enough as it is.
>Even forcing your way through that field is difficult enough to the point where it actually pains you, and not a small amount either. You do succeed, however. You and your three allies force your magic through that barrier in an experience akin to what it must be like running through a field of broken glass. And now you're about to leap into a heaping big pile of salt, you have no doubt. But, as Kiku says at nearly the same time you do as Minoriko flinches, you've come this far, you can't stop now. If you're going to succeed, it has to be now, before they can reinforce the field. You hear the mikos talking as well, Hiyori asking if there's anything she can do for you. The pain you and your group is in is plain to see. Haruka appears sympathetic, but there's nothing their magic can do help in this situation.
>The trick is going to be, now that you've used your power to wedge yourself into that psychic field, expanding your power outward in such a way to break it up. Simply expanding it out like a balloon won't work, it would be too energy consuming and too painful to leave you useful afterwards. You'd be out of action at least as long if not longer than your enemy. Simply cutting it would leave wounds too easy for the Blood to repair. Letting the four of you simply do your own thing would diffuse your power too much. Kiku eventually makes the suggestion that seems to be the best plan of action: using the approach of an animal. Tigers tear at their prey, or shake them about in their mouths sometimes. That's what she suggests you do, and she may be right. A psychic savaging would damage the field in a way that would be all but impossible to heal and would actually be easier to pull off than trying the balloon approach. You've never employed your power in that manner before, but in this case you have the animal instincts of two felines to draw upon.

>This is among the more challenging things you've ever tasked yourself with doing since you came into your power. Psionically rending that blanket of needles is not at all easy, nor is it without a severe amount of pain. If there's any upside to this, it's that your clothes aren't shredding in the process, so you'll still be functional once you're finished. Sort of functional, anyway. Minoriko actually screams once from the pain, but to her credit, she sticks with it, keeping her power joined to yours, and the jamming field eventually withers and snaps under your assault.
>The field has been dispelled, and you sense the wave of disruptive force blast through the minds that generated it. What you didn't expect, however, was that your group would also be caught in the backlash. Not as severely, you can sense, but it's still enough to send you reeling.

« Reply #335 on: November 27, 2017, 03:02:21 AM »
>Then let's try to reel ourselves back in, on the double

« Reply #336 on: November 27, 2017, 03:06:23 AM »
>Then let's try to reel ourselves back in, on the double

>Easier said than done. Between the pain of the act and the mental whiplash you suffered at the end, all four of you bodily stagger. Only Kiku manages to stay on her feet unaided, and only just. Subala and Hiyori help stabilize White Rose and Pink Carnation, while Haruka takes hold of you. At least you're pretty sure it's Haruka. The colors look right, but you can't quite see straight right now. "Steady, Lotus, steady." the big eagle says to you, her words echoing through your shaking skull.

« Reply #337 on: November 27, 2017, 03:09:48 AM »
>C'mon, pull it together....

« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2017, 03:16:58 AM »
>C'mon, pull it together....

>Pressing your head to your hand... No wait, the other way around, you try to get your senses back in order. No easy task. Your mind feels almost as bad now as when you were under attack by Satori. It's impressive that you managed to stay on your feet. Feet? Yes, feet.
>"Did you succeed?" Haruka asks you twice. No, just the once, that's just the echo in your mind's ears.

« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2017, 03:18:46 AM »
>Are we confident we did?
>If so, tell her as much. Or at least nod

« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2017, 03:30:25 AM »
>Are we confident we did?
>If so, tell her as much. Or at least nod

>You are quite certain.
>You can manage a nod. Yes, that's a good head.
>"Well done." the eagle congratulates you. "At this point I should not be surprised. I only hope that the experience was as jarring for them as it seemed to be for you."
>"How did it hurt them like that?" a worried Hiyori asks Haruka. "Isn't this room supposed to stop that from happening?"
>"I can only assume it was a consequence of their power mixing with the Blood. The power that Lotus and her group have is unique. It may not interact with our training field of Blood magic in the normal way."
>You really wish these two wouldn't talk so loudly. The ringing in your skull isn't as loud as it was a minute ago, but you've still got a headache the size of the San Andreas.

>"Ohhh.... I don't wanna do that again..." White Rose mutters aloud.
>"At least it worked." says Pink Carnation. Bless her heart, she's actually smiling. Weakly, but, she's tough.
>Kiku nods. "And we know we can do it again if we ever need to."
>"Don't make us need to..." White Rose whines.

« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2017, 03:35:35 AM »
>To Lily and Reisen: The jamming field is down and the Protectors should be stunned briefly. Move quickly!
>"That was.... much worse than anticipated."
>To Minoriko: "I don't suppose you have a fruit for headaches?"

« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2017, 04:09:55 AM »
>To Lily and Reisen: The jamming field is down and the Protectors should be stunned briefly. Move quickly!
>"That was.... much worse than anticipated."
>To Minoriko: "I don't suppose you have a fruit for headaches?"

>The transmission you send to your friends is garbled. Your own psychic sense is still affected by both the effort and the backlash you suffered at the end. Lily sends a reply, but your receptors are as messed up as your transmitters. You think she said, Are you okay? From Reisen, there is no reply at all.
>"The knowledge did come at a price." Chrysanthemum agrees, looking around. She seems to have recovered from the experience more quickly than the rest of you. Outwardly at least. "Where is Sen?"
>"She ran in after it appeared you had been successful." Haruka replies sourly. "Without even checking if you had first."
>"Patience is not her strong point." Hiyori adds with a frown.
>"Well she's on her own for the moment." Chrysanthemum says. "My friends and I need a moment to recuperate."
>"How are you holding up so good?" White Rose asks her as Carnation, per your request, hands you a created banana.
>The tiger youkai hesitates for a moment before replying. "Perhaps my brain chemistry grants me greater resiliency in this area."

« Reply #343 on: November 27, 2017, 04:14:40 AM »
>Eat the banana

« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2017, 01:12:59 PM »
>Eat the banana

>Magic banana. Didn't think Minoriko would have that for a power. Or strawberries, for that matter, but if Sen's reaction is anything to go by, they're very effective.
>A moment later you have confirmation of that. After just the first bite your head starts to feel better. The fruit tastes... rather unlike anything you've ever had before, and the texture isn't normal for a banana either. But whatever use you wish to use, it's bloody effective. You feel a rush of refreshing energy flow through your body and mind, and the haze that was clouding your thoughts, the disruptions you felt in your senses, fades away like a wisp of smoke in the wind.

>"Do you still plan to enter through the roof?" Chrysanthemum asks Haruka.
>The miko commander nods. "If Kenyu is up there, I want to secure him before he recovers. Once my partner is ready, of course."

« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
>Did we not even need to eat the whole banana? Is there enough to split with the rest of our damaged crew?

« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
>Did we not even need to eat the whole banana? Is there enough to split with the rest of our damaged crew?

>No, you finished it. The others, even Kiku, had their own, Carnation made enough for everyone. The parser wasn't clear enough.

« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2017, 03:17:37 PM »
>Well, that saves the trouble of requesting that she help the others
>"Very well. The rest of us will take the front entrance, then. If we can find Sen, so much the better, but our top priority is tracking down the remaining Protectors before they rally."
>Move out!

« Reply #348 on: November 28, 2017, 06:13:09 PM »
>Well, that saves the trouble of requesting that she help the others
>"Very well. The rest of us will take the front entrance, then. If we can find Sen, so much the better, but our top priority is tracking down the remaining Protectors before they rally."
>Move out!

>"Agreed." says Haruka. "And we should also keep an eye or ear open for our other two groups. They may require assistance. You are sure you're all right now?" she asks.
>"Right as rain!" White Rose assures her.
>"Remarkable. True healing magic...." Haruka gives her head a quick shake. "No, we can discuss that later. Do you have the ability to fly?" she asks Carnation.
>"No, I don't think so."
>Haruka bows slightly. "In that case, the lady shall ride an eagle." The tall miko shimmers and transforms into her beast mode.
>Carnation smiles. "Why, thank you."
>"Lucky girl." says Hiyori with just a hint of envy. "Not everyone gets to ride Onee-sama like that."
>Carnation giggles. "Then let's go quickly, Haruka-san, before we make someone jealous."
>"Good luck, all of you." Haruka says before taking off. As she and Carnation ascend, you hear the eagle say, "I told you, Haruka is just fine."

>Once more, you and your colleagues descend upon the airport terminal. With Sen away, Chrysanthemum takes the point, using her keen tiger senses to examine the door, to make sure none of the Protectors came back to set another trap after your retreat. She reports nothing new has been added, but the trap you detected is still in effect. Whatever effect that psychic backlash had on the Blood, it doesn't seem to have dispelled the traps they already had in effect, at least this one.
>"I recommend we split up to cover more ground." Chrysanthemum says as you head through the second set of doors into the terminal proper.

« Reply #349 on: November 28, 2017, 06:31:51 PM »
>"Right. I'll stay with Rose at least until we can find Sen. You and Subala go <one obvious direction to fan out> and we'll take <the other> - one scent tracker per group."
>Barring any objections, let's fan out. And keep our mystic senses peeled for traps or Blood magic

« Reply #350 on: November 29, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
>"Right. I'll stay with Rose at least until we can find Sen. You and Subala go <one obvious direction to fan out> and we'll take <the other> - one scent tracker per group."
>Barring any objections, let's fan out. And keep our mystic senses peeled for traps or Blood magic

>"Good plan." Chrysanthemum agrees. "Since there were two of them down here on the floor, I'll stay down here. White Rose, I suggest you and your group go up to that walkway. You should have an easier time tracking Cynthia than the other two." Then she looks at the two mikos. "Does their invisibility spell blocks scent as well?"
>"Not as far as I know." Hiyori replies. "They call them Sight Shields, but I suppose they could block other sensory output."
>"Well, we'll find out." Kiku blurs and transforms into her tiger form as you, Hiyori and White Rose step back a bit to give her some room. You and your girlfriend conjure your flying discs while Hiyori takes to wing, heading up to Cynthia's former location. You wrinkle your nose as the lingering scent of the gas Cynthia deployed strikes your sinuses.
>"Is that going to be a problem, White Rose?" Hiyori asks her.
>The kasha replies, "I hope not." before hopping down off her wheel, transforming to her feline form before she lands on the ground.

>From below, Kiku declares, "I have the scent. Two of them. A feline and a canine youkai."
>"The canine is Camille. She must have been the sniper." Hiyori calls down to her as Rin tries to find her own target scent trail. "That's probably why you didn't get hit dead center, Subala. Ioana would have been more accurate."
>As the tiger and the owl move off towards the northeast, Rin's tail stands on end. "I have something here." she announces. "It's definately a tengu. She's heading that way." She is pointed towards the north, where the walkway extends quite a ways ahead.
>You sweep the area indicated with your mystic senses, relieved to not have that jamming field to worry about this time. Your senses are a sharp as ever, and reveal that a very large patch of the walkway registers a Blood magic signal. You'll have to either fly over it or disable it, it stretches across the length of the walkway, too long to jump over.

« Reply #351 on: November 29, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
>Point out the extent of the magic field on the walkway and let's fly past it in pursuit of Cynthia.
>(And if Rin needs a ride, while in cat form, she can ride with us)
>Keep a cautious eye on that magic, though, in case it still triggers by proximity and we need to shield ourselves

« Reply #352 on: November 29, 2017, 07:43:05 PM »
>Point out the extent of the magic field on the walkway and let's fly past it in pursuit of Cynthia.
>(And if Rin needs a ride, while in cat form, she can ride with us)
>Keep a cautious eye on that magic, though, in case it still triggers by proximity and we need to shield ourselves

>Rose does indeed hop aboard your disc, opting to remain in her feline form. Her nose is better but you believe she's also more vulnerable, so you keep senses on high alert, in case Cynthia's recovered enough to try to sneak attack you.
>The magic laid out on the ground does not appear to react to any of your group as you pass above it, the sensation remaining consistant through your flight. Once you're safely on the other side, White Rose hops back down the ground- after you confirm it's safe, of course- and picks up the trail, scampering off in the same direction. You detect no further traps ahead of your path. Perhaps Cynthia was unable to create more than the one. Hiyori, with her avian eyes, is on the watch for more mundane traps like that gas canister, but she reports nothing either.
>White Rose stops as the walkway narrows, branching off to the north and the east. She casts about with eyes and ears before hissing softly. "I've lost the trail." she admits, returning to her humanoid form. "She might have gone either way, or in there." she says, pointing to the doors on the western wall, mens and womens washrooms.

« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
>Cast our own mystic senses out. Can we detect any sign of Cynthia's (or anyone else's, for that matter) presence?

« Reply #354 on: November 30, 2017, 10:06:35 AM »
>Cast our own mystic senses out. Can we detect any sign of Cynthia's (or anyone else's, for that matter) presence?

>You detect supernatural activity from five different locations.
>From somewhere above you, you detect the activity of a Grey Jewel, a miko's magic and the power of your own group.
>Some distance from you, to the north and west of your location, you sense Lily's power in action along with another Jewel.
>A third member of your group is active to your north and east, along with two sources of miko's magic.
>You detect activity of two Jewels very near your location. Each is coming from one of the two washrooms to your left. Neither is very strong and neither is very distinct. It is impossible to determine who belongs to which one.

« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2017, 12:54:20 PM »
>Guess the Protectors weren't quite as disabled as we'd hoped, by the sounds of it
>Quietly: "There's one in each. You two take right, I'll take left."
>Let's go. And prepare to open with a Crimson Lotus the moment we catch sight of our anticipated quarry, whoever they are

« Reply #356 on: December 01, 2017, 03:36:40 PM »
>Guess the Protectors weren't quite as disabled as we'd hoped, by the sounds of it
>Quietly: "There's one in each. You two take right, I'll take left."
>Let's go. And prepare to open with a Crimson Lotus the moment we catch sight of our anticipated quarry, whoever they are

>Some of them, at least, appear to still be able to defend themselves.
>In unison, White Rose and Hiyori say, "Wait." The share a slightly surprised look before White Rose gives the bird a slight nod. Hiyori says, "Remember what happened we opened a door? We have to be careful."
>"We shouldn't just charge in." White Rose adds as she heads towards the men's room door. Very cautiously she pushes at the door, pausing when it is open just the barest crack. Examining the crack, she points to something that appears to be a wire at knee-high length.
>After White Rose lets the door close, carefully, Hiyori nods you towards the women's room, liking asking you to follow White Rose's example.

« Reply #357 on: December 01, 2017, 04:05:51 PM »
>Let's do so then
>We're fairly confident there are no magical traps, at least, right?

« Reply #358 on: December 01, 2017, 04:28:47 PM »
>Let's do so then
>We're fairly confident there are no magical traps, at least, right?

>Aping White Rose's movements, you open the women's room door ever so slightly and scan the crack with both your eyes and your extra senses. Neither sense reveals anything. There are no wires attached to the women's room door, and although you do sense an active Jewel, there are no areas of magic like the ones you've associated with traps. The men's side may contain at least one trap, but the women's appears to be clear of both magical and mundane defenses.

« Reply #359 on: December 01, 2017, 04:45:09 PM »
>Give them an 'all-clear' signal
>The wire across the men's room is positioned such that they could easily get over it, if they wanted to, right?