Author Topic: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all  (Read 200582 times)

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
Re: Touhou Gameplay Help Thread #7 - Not just for spell card help after all
« Reply #300 on: January 19, 2015, 08:30:51 AM »
I have no idea how to capture any of Patchouli's spells in EoSD extra or Flandre's "Cranberry Trap".
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

« Reply #301 on: January 19, 2015, 10:02:06 AM »
I have no idea how to capture any of Patchouli's spells in EoSD extra or Flandre's "Cranberry Trap".
Patchys first and last spell are just read'n'dodge, so you gotta practice to beat them. Her second spell is completely static, so you gotta find a route (either by yourself or by watching others play). With Cranberry Trap I actually dont know how much rng/aimed/static parts there are to it, i usually just try to read'n'dodge it aswell (there may be a better way, I haven't put much effort into EoSD extra)

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #302 on: January 19, 2015, 05:36:29 PM »
I believe the pink bullets always aim for the center and the blue bullets always aim for you. You will probably want to stay in the middle, below the pink bullets, and go up and down to avoid the blue ones.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #303 on: January 22, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »
I need more scoring help  :qq:

Is there a way to time the outwards movement (where you move out from the centre and start streaming the bubbles) on "Half Past 4" (Kaguya's 4th last spell). I can get into the spot but getting out of it seems...inconsistent at best.

Choco Beam

• おやすみしな
« Reply #304 on: January 23, 2015, 12:23:32 AM »
Just use the sound when you graze bullets.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #305 on: January 23, 2015, 08:08:14 AM »
There are several cues, actually and I'm sure everyone uses a different one. As far as I can tell there are three different things you can do. The first being audio, like Aizo said, the graze sound can serve as the cue to know when you have to move. Another cue is to look as what the bullets look like when you have to move, so a visual cue. For those two I think watching a replay will also help, but for the third one, which is something I do, you gotta practice. That is, practice until you get to the point where you just "feel" when you have to move. That worked best for me, but it probably takes longest to build consistency with it. I believe something different works for everyone, so I suggest trying out going by audio or visual and if neither are awful just practice it into oblivion until you develop a feel for it. Playing by intuition, not knowledge, is strong, yo.

« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:34 AM »
Hi. First post, I guess.

Six years spent trying to 1cc any game on Normal and here I am still struggling.

More to the point, Stage 3 in Subterranean Animism keeps kicking my ass. I managed to unlock it in stage practice by credit feeding, but I'd like to be able to get past it in actual play. I did four runs in stage practice and uploaded them, so could anybody peep them and tell me what keeps fucking me up? Maybe I can get some insight as to why I still suck so hard while I'm at it.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36019
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36020
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36021
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36022

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2015, 02:19:28 PM »
One replay (your best work) would have been better, but here we go.

-Your movements are too jerky and you probably aren't using the focus button enough. You run into a lot of things this way. Focus mode is much better for dodging. Unfocusing is only good for a quick, fast change in location that would be too slow if you focused... or if there weren't things all around you, but in this stage, there are. If you move less and more deliberately, it's easier to control what's happening. See Yuugi's aimed clusters in particular.

-You often dodge in the wrong direction because you didn't properly read the pattern. You die in places where it would have been easy to read ahead or even to pre-emptively bomb, which makes me think you're only looking at your character. You need to look ahead as much as possible so you know how the lasers or whatever else are going to move. See: Yuugi's lasers, Yuugi's mid-spell, Yuugi's bubble spell. This also means looking sideways or backward so you don't run into things when you're dodging.

-Another problem you have with the aforementioned three things is that you stick too closely to the bottom, maybe because you're nervous about getting hit. For those patterns, you might need to be willing to move up just a bit more, otherwise it's easier to get trapped against the bottom of the screen.

-The aimed blue bullets at the beginning are a basic "streaming" pattern that you should know how to handle. You'll want to move slowly to one side (probably focused), keeping the bullets on one side of you, and then when you need to change direction, make a big jerk (probably unfocused) to the side to create the gap you need.

-This problem could solve itself with the above points, but I'll mention it here anyway, just in case: bombing. In a regular survival run like this, you should always bomb if you aren't positive you can dodge. Taking the risk is not worth it and new players tend to lose a lot of lives because they push their luck this way. If you're never sure you can dodge, you need to improve your pattern-reading and/or you need to practice the stage more.

« Reply #308 on: January 25, 2015, 05:17:12 PM »
@Cream Soda: Those sound like some pretty tough advice for someone who's struggling with normal :O
Dunno, if it were me I would probably be crying in a corner somewhere cause I would be feeling too noobish, but that's just me :P

@maibpenrai: I started SA 2 months before I got my first EoSD Lunatic 1cc (5 Lives), and I remember being very shocked at Normal Stage 5 the first time I saw it lol
Even at Normal, SA pours some pretty ridiculous patterns onto the screen >A>;; So I commend you on trying to get your first Normal 1cc with that game *tips hat*
Cream Soda already said quite a bit, so I'm just gonna try and word it better :P

-Focusing: The rule of thumb is, "Stay focused for bosses," (or just when things are tight in general) even if it feels awkward to move so slowly all the time.
Just try it - you might be surprised :) (Oh, and you also do more damage when focused for most shot-types, so that's another good thing.)
-Reading: I don't know; from what I see, you're pretty good at impromptu tight squeezes for someone who plays at Normal. That said, try to get a feel for your hitbox by just looking at the bullets you shoot - it will help you see ahead of your character, even if just slightly.
-Sticking to the bottom: Most people will tell you NOT to stick to the bottom. There is, however, a BIG advantage to sticking to an edge, and that is in precision dodging. In Touhou, your character's movement speed is the same for both horizontal/vertical and diagonal directions. That means if you are at the bottom edge and keep pressing down, you will move left and right at half the speed of usual - this applies to both focused and non-focused.
For extremely dense patterns, try giving that method a try. (Just make sure to look left and right for horizontal bullets, and move up just enough to dodge them  ;) )
-Streaming: "Should" is a bad word here - I barely understood streaming even when clearing EoSD Extra. :blush: The concept is very simple: for aimed bullets, you only have to move just enough to dodge them, and it makes life so much easier :D (It's when you get stuck to the wall that's difficult ._.;; ) For now, just try moving a little bit at a time from one side to the other, and bomb when you get stuck - normal shouldn't have too many that force you onto the wall.
-Bombing: I came up with this saying :D - "It's better to waste bombs than to die with them." If you got bombs, and the bullet spamming is too hard for you, by all means BOMBSPAM >8DDD

Finally, practicing. Don't practice. Yes, don't practice. Rather, play. PLAY.  You can do stage practices and stuff, but have fun. This isn't some Piano Competition that you have to play in front of 3 judges from the Paris Conservatory of Music or something. (...I know that analogy makes no sense whatsoever *hides*) If you're getting fed up with the game, well, quit and play something else for a while!! I find that games like this are about cooldown - you know, taking a break at the right time to let things settle and simmer :P

....whew. That was a rather long-winded general advice lol
Below I'm gonna say a few things specifically about the stage, so you can just skip them if you're like me and want to continue figuring things out by yourself :)

-The beginning blue circles are aimed at you, and so are the rice bullets from the red and blue fairies on each side. Start on one side and move towards the other.
-Make sure you stay focused for the lasers, and the blue circles do the same thing as those in the beginning of the stage.
-Midboss. 1st pattern: I think you're doing the right thing, so just remember to stay focused. 2nd pattern: The blues are aimed at you, and a portion of them bounce off the walls to become yellow. Therefore, don't move too much while the blues are firing, and concentrate on the yellows. 3rd pattern: This is a very difficult card for the Normal level, so feel free to bomb here :D
-After the midboss, the red&blue fairies are the same as the beginning, as well as the blue circles.
The big circles are also determined by your position, so move cautiously.
-The lasers can be difficult to see because of the big circles, so feel free to bomb if you need to.

Boss:
-Remember, stay focused.
-1st spell: Don't stay too close to the boss, or the rings may snipe you.
-2nd non-spell: Once the red lines appear, don't try to cross them, even if they aren't activated.
-2nd spell: Another spell that's ridiculously difficult at the Normal level. I compared it to Lunatic, and there isn't a whole ton of difference other than more frequent direction changing >A>;; (I may be wrong) In any case, another place you can expect to bomb a lot.
-3rd non-spell: If you stay in the middle, the yellows off the wall will crush you. Therefore, direct the blues to the sides and go back and forth.
(You did this properly on the last replay, I think)
-3rd spell: I think you got this one as well, but just in case, it's 1-2-go up and-3. Don't be afraid to use that space between the 2nd set of bullets.

....aaand you're amazing if you read all that :D :D :D

Hope you beat up Yuugi for me this time :P
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:29:46 PM by Pakken11 »
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #309 on: January 25, 2015, 10:46:57 PM »
@Cream Soda: Those sound like some pretty tough advice for someone who's struggling with normal :O
They wanted a critique. *shrug*
(Oh, and you also do more damage when focused for most shot-types, so that's another good thing.)
Only ReimuA. It's a very slight difference with MarisaC. ReimuB will do slightly more damage unfocused and MarisaA will do a lot more damage (see here).
I don't know; from what I see, you're pretty good at impromptu tight squeezes for someone who plays at Normal.
Not really, but even if it were true, you shouldn't be doing "impromptu tight squeezes" unless you're below 1 power and you failed to read the pattern. Also, don't settle for mediocrity. Just because Normal is simple, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get better.
That said, try to get a feel for your hitbox by just looking at the bullets you shoot - it will help you see ahead of your character, even if just slightly.
You should primarily be looking at the enemy patterns. You'll easily know where yours are.
Most people will tell you NOT to stick to the bottom. There is, however, a BIG advantage to sticking to an edge, and that is in precision dodging. In Touhou, your character's movement speed is the same for both horizontal/vertical and diagonal directions. That means if you are at the bottom edge and keep pressing down, you will move left and right at half the speed of usual - this applies to both focused and non-focused.
There is rarely, if ever, a good time to do this on Normal mode. Even on Lunatic, there are relatively few places in any Touhou game where this is helpful.
"Should" is a bad word here - I barely understood streaming even when clearing EoSD Extra.
"Should" is a good word. If you're playing any danmaku game at all and you don't understand streaming, you're making things much harder than they need to be. This is very basic stuff; it's literally the very first point in the beginner advice thread on this board.
For now, just try moving a little bit at a time from one side to the other, and bomb when you get stuck - normal shouldn't have too many that force you onto the wall.
Don't do this. It's a great, and unnecessary, way to waste your bombs.
Finally, practicing. Don't practice. Yes, don't practice.
This is terrible advice that you should never give to anyone. If you don't practice, you are making your life harder.
Rather, play. PLAY.  You can do stage practices and stuff, but have fun. This isn't some Piano Competition that you have to play in front of 3 judges from the Paris Conservatory of Music or something.
Disciplined practice can still be fun and will also probably improve your experience with Touhou.
-Midboss. 1st pattern: I think you're doing the right thing, so just remember to stay focused.
They weren't doing the right thing here, because they were getting hit.
3rd pattern: This is a very difficult card for the Normal level, so feel free to bomb here :D
Stage practice is there for a reason. It's better to learn how to dodge it, in case you actually have to.
-2nd spell: Another spell that's ridiculously difficult at the Normal level. I compared it to Lunatic, and there isn't a whole ton of difference other than more frequent direction changing >A>;; (I may be wrong)
You are wrong. On Lunatic, there are about four times as many bubbles, and they come from both sides instead of just one.
-3rd non-spell: If you stay in the middle, the yellows off the wall will crush you. Therefore, direct the blues to the sides and go back and forth.
I believe the best way to do this is to treat it like the second midboss pattern, but to do it near the side (not *too* close) and a safe distance away from the bottom.

« Reply #310 on: January 25, 2015, 11:19:51 PM »
I've managed to clear PCB with ReimuA using continues, and now I'm trying to go for the 1cc. The main problems I have are in stage 5 and 6 (stage 4 to a lesser extent). I'll try to post replays so that I can get critique, but right now, I'd like some tips for Yommu's nonspell pattern (the one she does three times). Does anyone have any advice?

« Reply #311 on: January 26, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36038

That's what I was able to do with two-and-a-half hours of replaying the same stage. My brain hurts.

It's better to learn how to dodge it, in case you actually have to.

To be honest, even after banging my head against the wall, I couldn't figure out how to read that. It seemed like I did better squeezing down at the bottom of the screen, although I only managed to survive maybe a second longer at most. Every other time... Well, it's as you see in the replay there. Honestly, I don't know whether to blame bad reading or shit reflexes for that. (Incidentally, I think there's at least one 'duh' moment in this replay where I just stare at a bullet as it hits me, sigh.)

Also, thanks for the specifics on the stage, Pakken. Pretty helpful stuff to know, even if I have a bugger of a time putting it in action.

Edit: One other thing.

which makes me think you're only looking at your character.

Actually, I'm usually not looking at my character. One big problem that I have is that I have a way of seeing bullets but not... being able to not move directly into them, if that makes any sense. (God, the more I think about it, the more these games make me feel slow in the head.)

@Karisa: No problem. I saw it before it went away.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:40:30 AM by maibpenrai »

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #312 on: January 26, 2015, 01:13:37 AM »
I've managed to clear PCB with ReimuA using continues, and now I'm trying to go for the 1cc. The main problems I have are in stage 5 and 6 (stage 4 to a lesser extent). I'll try to post replays so that I can get critique, but right now, I'd like some tips for Yommu's nonspell pattern (the one she does three times). Does anyone have any advice?
You can misdirect the first wave of the stage 5 patterns upward (be careful to move out of the way quickly so you aren't cornered), so you don't need to worry about the first two waves overlapping. Don't try this on the stage 6 nonspell though-- that one's aimed constantly instead of just once.

---

@maibpenrai:
If you were wondering where my post went-- I'd typed up a response to your earlier replay, but apparently you posted a new replay while I was typing a response.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:57:51 AM by Karisa »

Uruwi

• Nightmare of Torrential Precipitation
  • 478 million goober
« Reply #313 on: January 26, 2015, 01:49:09 AM »

Use SakuyaA (unless you've 1cced with her already).
foo = foldl $ flip ($)
Highest difficulty 1CCed for each game, by shot type in the original order. (-: never 1CCed on any difficulty, or never used; E: easy, N: normal, H: hard, L / U: lunatic / unreal.)
EoSD [NNNE] PCB [EE--N-] IN [NEEE + Ex Border] PoFV [Mystia N, Mystia E no charge] MoF [EN--H- + Ex Marisa B] SA [N-----] UFO [----EN] TD [NENE] DDC [EE-EHE + Ex Marisa B & Sakuya A] LoLK [PD --N- Legacy ---N] EE [N- + Ex Yabusame] EMS [N-- + Ex Yabusame] RMI [NHN + Ex YaoSuku]
Avelantis (demo) Easy YuukiB 426,077,200

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:14 AM »
This is better, but still needs some practice. I suggest going into stage practice and timing out the patterns that give you trouble, until you find a good method. If you can't find one, you can grab a good replay and copy it. The only specific advice I can think of is: on Yuugi's second midboss pattern, you're moving too much, which makes a mess. It's better to stay in front of her and only make the small dodges you need.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #315 on: January 26, 2015, 02:05:35 AM »

I'd like to add a recommendation that you not auto-collect after Yuugi's 2nd spell, since that causes the nonspell's bullets to become very chaotic, and if you have to bomb you lose more power than you gain. Instead, stay near the side, like you're already doing later in the nonspell-- but try to stay on that side the whole time, without returning to the center.

Also, Yuugi's 2nd nonspell is static based on her position, so once you learn a strategy you can use it for every wave. (Note that the waves may vary depending on which enemies you shoot.)

« Reply #316 on: January 26, 2015, 03:14:51 AM »
Alright, I've got three replays for stage 5 here:
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36042
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36043
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36044

In all these replays, I tried not to bomb. I can get through the stage itself easily, but the main problem is Yommu, both as a midboss and as a boss. My main problem is "200 Yojana in 1 Slash". With the other cards, I at least know how to get through them, but I can't figure out how to get past this without bombing. Any tips or critique?

« Reply #317 on: January 26, 2015, 12:24:50 PM »
@Cream Soda: I'm afraid it's people like you who scare beginning enthusiasts away. At least, that's what happened when I tried your method.
Believe it or not, some people DO play casually and actually enjoy staying there. Assuming that everyone doesn't want to settle for mediocrity on what should be a leisurely past-time is NOT the proper way to console someone's frustration and encourage him/her to keep going, not to mention your tone wasn't the most socially welcoming one either.
Look, the guy is trying to go for a 1cc and is frustrated. When someone is frustrated in real life, I'm pretty sure a pat on the shoulder (or something of the like) is the first thing you do, not point out all the stuff they are doing wrong and shove it in their face.

@maibpenrai: No problem. Please feel free to ask for help whenever :)

@Arkylos: For Yojana, try not to follow Youmu around too much. Also, where the bubbles fall is always the same, so if you can memorize that you only need to worry about the tiny broken up bullets. That said, it IS easily Youmu's most difficult spell to capture (at least on Lunatic), so maybe you could plan ahead to break a border or bomb for that pattern.
Also, I'm surprised you didn't mention Youmu's first non-spells (the high density ones). I find those the most annoying :P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:33:08 PM by Pakken11 »
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #318 on: January 26, 2015, 01:41:29 PM »
Though, in all seriousness: 6 years and no normal 1cc either shows massive laziness, or just completely wrong way of playing. Giving them a pat on the shoulder at this point is ridiculous and doesn't help. Also if a beginning enthusiast is scared away by people telling other people what they are doing wrong, then I highly doubt those people would stay for very long in the first play.
being casual and staying casual is fine, but that doesn't mean that you can't critique them when they are asking for it.

« Reply #319 on: January 26, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
Though, in all seriousness: 6 years and no normal 1cc either shows massive laziness, or just completely wrong way of playing. Giving them a pat on the shoulder at this point is ridiculous and doesn't help. Also if a beginning enthusiast is scared away by people telling other people what they are doing wrong, then I highly doubt those people would stay for very long in the first play.
being casual and staying casual is fine, but that doesn't mean that you can't critique them when they are asking for it.

I must be psychic - had a feeling it would be you who would reply lol

And why is being lazy with a game so bad? I thought you were the one who told me to "grow at my own pace" before.
It's a GAME, come on - if he's been playing on and off for whatever reasons, those reasons are probably better than excuses to keep playing a game lol

By all means, if he asked for critique you CAN definitely give him some - like I said before, others can't control your actions. But I also said you can't control others' reactions either, and it's very possible for that reaction to go haywire beyond your control.

« Reply #320 on: January 26, 2015, 03:16:30 PM »

That's what I was able to do with two-and-a-half hours of replaying the same stage. My brain hurts.

I watched your replay, and the biggest mistake is using Marisa in Subterranean Animism, and not only that, but MarisaC.

Try ReimuC instead. She's pretty much perfect. Yeah, that's right, the best shot type in the game; she's super fast, has the smallest hitbox, best accomplice, strongest bomb, biggest range, highest scoring potential, and is ofcourse the most FUN! Nothing is impossible with ReimuC, you can even hug the walls/ceiling/Yuugi instead of the bottom of the screen and it will work! Don't miss out on the most fun you could ever hope for in a touhou game, switch to ReimuC right now and the next credit might just be a 1cc!
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #321 on: January 26, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »
I must be psychic - had a feeling it would be you who would reply lol

And why is being lazy with a game so bad? I thought you were the one who told me to "grow at my own pace" before.
It's a GAME, come on - if he's been playing on and off for whatever reasons, those reasons are probably better than excuses to keep playing a game lol

By all means, if he asked for critique you CAN definitely give him some - like I said before, others can't control your actions. But I also said you can't control others' reactions either, and it's very possible for that reaction to go haywire beyond your control.

I think the point here was, that while a pat on the back might be good for players that try really hard and take their losses more seriously, the lazy players need exactly the opposite so they dont feel confirmation for their lazy ways.

I watched your replay, and the biggest mistake is using Marisa in Subterranean Animism, and not only that, but MarisaC.

Try ReimuC instead. She's pretty much perfect. Yeah, that's right, the best shot type in the game; she's super fast, has the smallest hitbox, best accomplice, strongest bomb, biggest range, highest scoring potential, and is ofcourse the most FUN! Nothing is impossible with ReimuC, you can even hug the walls/ceiling/Yuugi instead of the bottom of the screen and it will work! Don't miss out on the most fun you could ever hope for in a touhou game, switch to ReimuC right now and the next credit might just be a 1cc!
How much is Aya paying you?  :D

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #322 on: January 26, 2015, 05:35:37 PM »
In all these replays, I tried not to bomb. I can get through the stage itself easily, but the main problem is Yommu, both as a midboss and as a boss. My main problem is "200 Yojana in 1 Slash". With the other cards, I at least know how to get through them, but I can't figure out how to get past this without bombing. Any tips or critique?
One replay would be enough in my opinion, buuuut anyway. On that pattern you keep failing, you seem to get hit on the seam between the blue-and-yellow wave and the green-and-brown wave. You probably need to move past this seam as soon as you seen an opening. For "200 Yoajana in 1 Slash," a lot of people like to stay near one of the corners, which may be helpful. I notice that you get killed a lot by "Karmic Punishment of the Idle and Unfocused" and "Five Signs of the Dying Deva," which might have a lot to do with the slowdown-toggling gimmick. I remember trying to set myself up for an easy dodge during the slow parts and then staying in mostly the same place when the speed changes, making the necessary wiggles. I can't give really good advice on Youmu, though, since I rarely play PCB anymore. It seems like you know how to get through this stage mostly and just make a lot of mechanical dodging failures, which should happen less the more you practice. I'm sure there's someone here who can give better advice on the spells.
(shhh~)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 05:37:42 PM by Cream Soda »

« Reply #323 on: January 26, 2015, 07:28:27 PM »
@Pakken, Sakurei: In all fairness, I haven't played regularly in all that time, so I'm not surprised when someone says I lack practise. Mostly I just look for advice on correcting any hideously stupid things I'm doing (short of "commit sudoku and be reborn with better reflexes/pattern recognition"). So, yeah, I can take critique where it's given. (Not that I don't appreciate it being pointed out when I might be doing something right, if anything.) I can see both ends of the argument, though.

@ARF: Eh, I've used Reimu before, but I kind of like the way MarisaC's bomb works, so I stick with her.

Edit:

@Pakken: I don't play MarisaA a whole lot because this is how it typically ends with her: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=36058

Best of four runs because I was even more brain-dead for the others, if you can believe it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 02:58:11 AM by maibpenrai »

« Reply #324 on: January 26, 2015, 11:31:31 PM »
@maib: Ok then. I'm just afraid of accidentally trampling on people's feelings, you know :D
Also, if it's bombs you're concerned about, Marisa-A could work too - the duration is shorter and the area is smaller, but you get double in quantity :P

« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2015, 02:56:38 AM »
@Arkylos: I know you said you knew how to handle Youmu's other spells, but it still seems to me like you don't quite have the method down yet. Brute Sword "Karmic Punishment" and Human Sword "Delusion of Enlightenment" shouldn't be killing you nearly as often as they did in those replays.

For Brute Sword, you want to move about halfway across the screen, away from Youmu, just before the slowdown begins. I know it's tempting to stay under Youmu as long as possible so you can do more damage, but the risk just isn't worth it--especially since Reimu A doesn't do that much more damage while under the boss anyway. You also should be more prepared to use unfocused dashes to get away from stray bullets once you make it through the bulk of the attack, but that's just something that comes with practice, I suppose.

Your streaming on Human Sword (the penultimate spell card) is rather haphazard. You can start your streaming considerably farther to the left than you did in those replays. Trust me, even though you don't start off directly under Youmu, you will deal more damage in the end (especially with Reimu A). You're also moving across the screen much faster than you need to, almost as if you're deathly afraid of the aimed bullets. If you stream slowly enough, you should be able to end the attack before having to change directions, which will make things much easier. Try using some vertical movement to dodge the aimed bullets when Youmu fires them at an angle; it will save horizontal space and allow you to hold out longer. Beyond that, just stay calm and you should be able to capture the card consistently.

Also, for Youmu's openers, I would strongly recommend that you misdirect the initial waves by waiting above Youmu before she starts attacking, especially for the boss opener. For the midboss opener, you'll have to move down under her fairly quickly to avoid having bullets spawn on you when she starts the attack, but I'd still say it's worth it. Besides avoiding the initial wave entirely, you'll also ensure that the first and second waves won't overlap, which seemed to cause you quite a lot of trouble in those replays.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2015, 08:02:16 PM »
Knowing Aya? It's more likely a threat to publish some scandal (real or made up).

Though honestly ReimuC has the most powerful bomb, if you like to use bombs to skip patterns. ReimuC's shot isn't very strong though, and you have to be careful not to trigger her super-speed by accident. (Also, she's one of the worst for score. Unless you're a TASer.)

Also, if it's bombs you're concerned about, Marisa-A could work too - the duration is shorter and the area is smaller, but you get double in quantity :P
While I personally find MarisaA interesting to use, I'd definitely not recommend her at this point. Not only are there the usual issues with Marisa's speed/hitbox (quite relevant in SA's bullet density), but MarisaA encourages unfocusing against bosses whenever it's safe-- a bad idea for someone still learning to stream.

Also it's not actually double bombs-- MarisaA takes 12 power items per bomb while others take 20. The bombs are also pretty much only for the brief invulnerability, with almost no pattern clearing (though if used at close range they actually deal significant damage-- you'd have to plan ahead to use them like that though).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 07:29:20 AM by Karisa »

« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2015, 01:06:00 AM »
@Karisa:
Umm... I think your "Unless you're a TASer" link is broken or something. Nothing happens when I try to click on it.

Karisa

• Extend!
« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2015, 07:30:28 AM »
@Karisa:
Umm... I think your "Unless you're a TASer" link is broken or something. Nothing happens when I try to click on it.
OK, that was strange. It was trying to link to a nonsensical "http://Unless you're a TASer". I wonder if that came from submitting the post from my phone? I don't normally try to add links that way.

« Reply #329 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:47 AM »
I'm doing much better on stage 5 after some practice, but stage 6 is absolutely murdering me. After she pulls out the fan, everything goes downhill from there. Any general tips for Yuyuko?