Author Topic: Post EVO Hype - Fighting Game General  (Read 145913 times)

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: Post EVO Hype - Fighting Game General
« Reply #540 on: December 08, 2015, 04:49:28 PM »
They could absolutely adapt the current caster to the Steam release, which would be the perfect turn of events. Unless it's directly integrated into the game, but I can't imagine them doing that.

So, when's Tsukihime?

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:57 PM »
So, when's Tsukihime?
SoonTM. Honestly, I'd sooner expect a (new) Fate fighting game before we get Tsukihime. Which I am totally down for, by the way, pls remake F/UC

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #542 on: December 12, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #543 on: December 15, 2015, 04:51:54 PM »
Ordered Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax on Sunday, should be here soon. Kind of forgot that was a thing. Much more excited for the Nitroplus one.

It will most likely use MBAACC's default netcode. Maybe slightly improved to make up for more international netplay but only about as good as UNIEL's netcode probably.

Still, HOLY SHIT IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

UNIST when though D:

Yeah, I'm pretty excited for that. For how infrequently I play non-Touhou PC fighters I'll buy it for sure.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #544 on: December 15, 2015, 05:09:49 PM »
Ordered Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax on Sunday, should be here soon. Kind of forgot that was a thing. Much more excited for the Nitroplus one.

Are you getting Ignition? I got it too and I'm getting it shipped next week.

Also I'm hearing from some people that Nitro+ Blasterz is meh in the end from what they tried.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #545 on: December 15, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »
Personally I'm still thinking about it, but I'll probably bite because I had fun.

Also I'm hearing from some people that Nitro+ Blasterz is meh in the end from what they tried.
I got the same vibe from some people I know. I wasn't super excited by the gameplay either.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #546 on: December 15, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »

Nope, didn't even know there was a revision already. I ordered the old one. Just a coincidence that it happened to come up this week I guess. Weird that the new one didn't pop up when I searched it on Amazon, but I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway if it's full price right now.

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #547 on: December 15, 2015, 06:54:26 PM »
I'm getting Ignition because holy shit all the fucking Taiga buffs  :*

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #548 on: December 18, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »
Kombat Pack 2 Reveal Trailer
The next wave of additions: Bo'Rai'Cho, Leatherface, "Tri-Borg", and a Baraka-influenced Xenomorph.

Jason vs. Leatherface and Predator vs Alien

« Reply #549 on: December 23, 2015, 06:57:24 PM »
I can't wait to see the tech in SFV at EVO2016.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #550 on: December 27, 2015, 04:29:17 AM »
I picked up Blazblue Chrono Phantasma Extend on sale earlier. I played Chrono Phantasma some even though they fucking took away Lambda, but I eventually quite because I couldn't deal with not having her and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax came out, which I strongly prefer mechanically to Blazblue. Nu was a barely-passable substitute in Chrono Phantasma, but she just wasn't the same. The angles of her attacks were all wrong and she didn't have the trapping potential that I relied on Lambda and her Sickle Storm for. When Chrono Phantasma Extend came out I heard she was back, but I was kind of sour on Arc System for taking her away in the first place, so I didn't want to pay full price. Saw it for a price I thought was fair today, so I guess I'm back in.

So Lambchop is back, but I didn't know how different she was. The answer is... Significantly. She feels so slow and cumbersome now. Her new drive, Sword Summoning Ex, is a lot different from Sword Summoning II and I haven't really figured it out yet. The combos involving it are gatlings on and they feel a lot different. I don't know. Some of her inputs are just reversed for no reason, Sickle Storm now always comes out reversed and you can't do a non-reversed version as far as I can tell, and there are certain things that used to jump cancel that don't seem to anymore, or if they do the timing is different. She has a new move, which is cool, but I don't know what it's for yet really. Crescent Blade hits much closer to her body which makes it feel a lot weaker, although it seems like it now rotates all the way around her body so presumably it hits below and behind her now in the rare event that that matters (not really a fair tradeoff). And again they fucked with the angles on her swords again. Most of them come out closer to her so you can't really do projectile juggles when your opponent unless they're like six inches from your face because 6D goes right over their head otherwise.

I'll play some actual games with her over the next few days, but I'm not really happy with this right now. I don't know how the tiers shook out so I don't know how good she's supposed to be. She probably has tools that I haven't figured out yet, and maybe her playstyle is different now, but original Lambda is burned into my brain so vividly that I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get comfortable with something similar but so different. And that's one of the reasons I'll never be any good at fighting games, I guess. :V

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #551 on: December 27, 2015, 07:48:58 AM »
A lot of characters in BB have had their some of their normals nerfed by making them not jump cancelable, and this applied to a lot of characters throughout the patches. This was an active attempt to nerf air movement and air-barrier, both of which were too strong. It was also why they decided to make almost every B and C normals air unblockable for everyone as well. As for Lambda's speed, I'd say it's nearly identical. Almost all of her normals still have the same frame data since CS1, 5D is still 15f, 5A is still 6f, 2B is still 9f, etc. As for mobility, I think she's better with the addition of 22D.

Lambda still plays the same as CS2/CSE. Her gameplan is still zoning+lockdown and hitconfirming into combo > 236B and/or 236C > swords. Her main strength is her ability to output consistent and reliable damage, as well as superb corner carry, off of any confirm with or without meter anywhere on the screen. Not to mention, her combos are pretty straightforward and simple. She's also given a good amount of tools to help her too. 236C does mad chip and is amazing oki. 22D is really fast and fatals. j2D floats so every combo easily goes into air swords. 6B has insane range. Backdash is amazing. 2B does everything. Superb anti-airs (multiple!). Sadly, she's considered average at best, solely because of 2 things: bad defense, and she's not Nu. That's it, but those weaknesses are enough to stop her from being a strong character.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #552 on: December 28, 2015, 01:06:16 AM »
Alright, spent some more time messing around with the game, got some more stuff figured out.

A lot of characters in BB have had their some of their normals nerfed by making them not jump cancelable, and this applied to a lot of characters throughout the patches. This was an active attempt to nerf air movement and air-barrier, both of which were too strong. It was also why they decided to make almost every B and C normals air unblockable for everyone as well. As for Lambda's speed, I'd say it's nearly identical. Almost all of her normals still have the same frame data since CS1, 5D is still 15f, 5A is still 6f, 2B is still 9f, etc. As for mobility, I think she's better with the addition of 22D.

Turns out the whole "feels slower" thing is all up to the missing jump cancels. She feels slower because she can't transition from ground to air as easily. It really makes her feel slow, at least to me. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Lambda still plays the same as CS2/CSE. Her gameplan is still zoning+lockdown and hitconfirming into combo > 236B and/or 236C > swords. Her main strength is her ability to output consistent and reliable damage, as well as superb corner carry, off of any confirm with or without meter anywhere on the screen. Not to mention, her combos are pretty straightforward and simple. She's also given a good amount of tools to help her too. 236C does mad chip and is amazing oki. 22D is really fast and fatals. j2D floats so every combo easily goes into air swords. 6B has insane range. Backdash is amazing. 2B does everything. Superb anti-airs (multiple!). Sadly, she's considered average at best, solely because of 2 things: bad defense, and she's not Nu. That's it, but those weaknesses are enough to stop her from being a strong character.

I've sort of figured out some of her missing/changed moves and options. Directional Sickle Storm and charged Spike Chaser are still sort of in the game, but they're not easily accessible. Sickle Storm is context dependent. It pushes away when enemies are far away and pulls in when they're close. Which is mostly fine, that's typically what you'd do with it, but not having the option is a tiny bit limiting. Spike Chaser can't be charged any more, but it automatically goes fullscreen in overdrive. This feels like a huge blow, since it means that now 4D is her only meterless fullscreen pressure option, and 4D kind of sucks.

The upside is that the new Sword Summoner special cancels into pretty much anything, which makes Sickle Storm a lot easier to just throw out. That's probably a huge buff actually, but I'm not used to it yet and it feels terrible every time I confirm into what used to be a solid combo, try to jump, and just drop the combo because I can't any more. Unlearning that is going to be hard.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #554 on: January 14, 2016, 06:11:51 PM »
Over the last few weeks I've been playing a lot, at least for me, of Blazblue. Usually I play an hour or two a week of a fighting game even when I'm actively into it, but I have like ten or twelve hours in BBCPEX in the last few days.

It didn't start off great. Everybody I played it with was like "What the fuck, why did they arbitrarily change so much stuff? I feel like I have to relearn my whole character but they've barely even changed", and I don't necessarily disagree. But we've been playing it more, getting used to it, and kind of warming up to it. It still feels pretty arbitrary, but it does feel a little more balanced maybe for all that trouble.

Playing Lambda still just makes me mad, especially after briefly playing with Nu. Her ramge sucks, the angles of all of her projectiles suck, and I can't reliably take advantage of anything new that she might have going for her. If I put a bunch of time into working on her I might be able to fix that, but I'm too frustrated to do that now. Instead I've been playing Tager and Platinum, and they seem mostly fine. Definitely very different than I remember, but I don't know if that's a Chrono Phantasma thing or an Extend thing.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #555 on: January 14, 2016, 07:10:14 PM »
I feel like I have to relearn my whole character but they've barely even changed
ArcSys series in a nutshell.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #556 on: January 27, 2016, 07:13:28 AM »
EVO2016 line-up was announced while I was sleeping.

Street Fighter V
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Mortal Kombat X
Killer Instinct
Guilty Gear Xrd R
Pokken Tournament
Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3
Tekken 7 FR

I think the only surprise here is Pokk?n instead of Ultra Street Fighter IV.

Oh, yeah, and -RELEVATOR- instead of -SIGN-, what's going on, Arcsys?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #557 on: January 27, 2016, 01:39:27 PM »
EVO appears to have evolved into a marketing gimmick instead of a fighting game tournament.  Oh well.

Also, I guess it's time to update the thread back to pre-EVO hype :V

« Reply #558 on: January 27, 2016, 02:29:26 PM »
Oh shit I was gonna watch the evo thing but then I forgot :derp:

Gpop

• FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #559 on: January 27, 2016, 04:20:17 PM »
Oh, yeah, and -RELEVATOR- instead of -SIGN-, what's going on, Arcsys?

Well considering Relevator is coming out in spring and the NA release coming just days after the JP version it makes sense.

Spotty Len

• Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #560 on: January 27, 2016, 05:14:53 PM »
Well considering Relevator is coming out in spring and the NA release coming just days after the JP version it makes sense.
Sorry, I'm still seeing this from my plebian EU perspective.

:(

I'm gonna be watching SFV, Melee, Smash 4 for sure, UMvC3 and GG if I am still alive, and I'm kinda curious about Pokk?n.

« Reply #561 on: January 29, 2016, 03:13:50 AM »

I got npb (and dfci and koihime enbu as well), and really liked the game

- nice movement options and speed
- like AquaPazza, the playstyles vary greatly (and -- once again, like AquaPazza, --personally I like a lot of said playstyles, to the point that if I stick to one character, I get into an urge to play the other characters as well)
- nice mechanics (vanishing guard, escape action, variable rush, infinite blast, guard cancel..)
- nice mix-up game (throws, short hops -- down+D --, vanishing guard..) with balanced combo damage from pressure-based combo starters (short hop, throw, lows)
- nice neutral game
- current meta favors short combos (due to heavy damage scaling, similar to AquaPazza, and dem hueg comboz giving the opponent a lot of meter)
- anyone can start playing the characters in a basic level (the inputs aren't difficult -- the hardest ones being 632146, or 236236 --, the game doesn't force you to do "optimal combos" -- unless when playing against an advanced opponent, in which case, the cause of defeat would likely not be on the "lack of practice for optimal combos")
- assists (like in AquaPazza) don't have to be combo-oriented

there's a recent system mechanic video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivGP_Y7ymrs

btw, the american version of NitroPlus Blasterz will come out on February 2nd, and the japanese version of Koihime Enbu is out already (released on January 28th)

edit: there's a homepage for the US version of NitroPlus Blasterz: http://www.nitroplusblasterz.com/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 04:42:25 AM by shadowbringer »
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2016, 05:45:57 AM »
Just played npb for the first time. picked saya because waifu, and holy shit she is downright oppressive. All I did was A>B>C>bomb/super and teleport around and divedrill, and I went 5-0 against the guy who actually played the game.

« Reply #563 on: January 30, 2016, 02:26:09 AM »
maybe he was trying to punish you (I don't know how to play against her either), when he actually couldn't, and/or overused the vanishing guard (trying to punish you too out of blockstrings, rather than using it to negate chip damage); I have a friend who random picked her and I would've made the mistakes above (the one regarding overusing vanishing guard and not knowing how to beat the next attack -- and focusing too much on throwing an attack after a vanishing guard, rather than an escape option, or even relying too much on vanishing guard too -- wasn't limited to playing against saya, though).

I have some ideas about how he could win, but haven't tested them yet:
- saving meter for variable rush (punish) when he sees a punishable long-range attack from saya
- using an assist that helps saya get defensive so he can get in and start the mix-ups
- patiently avoid being hit by her long-range normals (and air unblockable attacks such as 6A, 2C.. use vanishing guard while in the air to block these) and hit her defense and start pressuring her from there
- knock her down with a 6E guard cancel (costs one meter), approaching her while she's down should be safer after that (I think that, besides vanishing guard and variable rush, the only wakeup reversal option she has would be her lethal blaze, which costs 3 meters)
- knowing that assists can't be hit by the opponent, it could be a viable tactic to use vanishing guard on a blockstring (from saya, in that case) and cancel the vanishing guard into an assist (which could lead to the one summoning the assist to be hit afterwards, but then have the saya player be hit by the assist character and possibly even comboed after)
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #564 on: January 30, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »
So what's the deal with Nitroplus Blasterz on PS3? I just tried to preorder it but nobody has it listed. I couldn't find any reference to it being cancelled. Is it digital only?

« Reply #565 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »
according to their site ( http://nitroplusblasterz.com/ ), "PlayStation?4 system version available for pre-order from these retailers. PlayStation?3 system will be a digital-only release."
Translations.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #566 on: February 03, 2016, 02:29:57 PM »
Downloaded Nitroplus Blasterz last night, but it took so long to update my Playstation and download the game that I didn't really have time to play it. I played a handful of rounds but I was so tired that all I really did was stumble around and mash A. The default button layout makes no sense to me and the game seems to use five buttons which I'm not thrilled about. Probably going to main Phantom but I didn't learn much about how she works.

« Reply #567 on: February 04, 2016, 02:02:30 AM »
Bayo and Corrin are out

Bayo is uh really hard to use as expected

lmao Bayo's down b is op as fuck
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:18:28 AM by Suikama x Lucy »

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #568 on: February 04, 2016, 02:24:28 AM »
Bayo and Corrin are out

Bayo is uh really hard to use as expected

lmao Bayo's down b is op as fuck

yoooooo but can you check if Bayonetta can use bullets on Down-Tilt, and go under Sheik needles as she does it?

« Reply #569 on: February 04, 2016, 02:47:40 AM »
I dont have another copy of the game to test but she doesn't seem to go that low during her dtilt so i doubt it

BUT her side b does go quite low and goes into huge damage combos so that might work

Also her own gun special are like pseudo needles :V