Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 297177 times)

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Wait, I don't see how Etaniti is an anagram of Titania, whether in romaji or katakana...

FTR: I'm going with this spelling because I like the reasoning put behind it; not necessarily because I think it's canonically true, and won't pretend it is.

Ultimately, I'm not sure it even entirely matters, but it's that kind of attention to detail that I like about this community.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
It wasn't meant as a remark toward you but rather a personal interrogation about the general reasoning. Most of it is sound but I just don't see the anagram part, unless I'm mistaken on what an anagram is.

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
Etanity's name seems to be an anagram of "Titania", one of the characters in the play who is a fairy queen.

エタニティ (E-ta-ni-ti)
ティタニア (Ti-ta-ni-a)
Not quite? エ (e) and ア (a) don't match up.

Me reading the music description of the Stage 1 theme:
"...
With all said and done, it goes well with beer. "

Touhou in a nutshell.

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Yes. Though written with different kanji, the "koma" in both is the same word stem, meaning "Goryeo", Goryeo being the name of several historical kingdoms on or near the Korean peninsula, and the etymology of the English word "Korea". Places called "Koma-something" (like "Komano") are named after ancient immigrants from the Korean peninsula, while "komainu" is named as such because stone lions are an Indian thing that came to Japan that way.

Korean elements in Touhou? I must say ZUN has gotten pretty bold...

For those who don't get why I'm saying this, its because Japanese media tend to avoid portraying anything Korean for some reason...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
For those who don't get why I'm saying this, its because Japanese media tend to avoid portraying anything Korean for some reason...
You know, that very page you linked to already contains quite a few counterexamples to what you're saying.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Korean elements in Touhou? I must say ZUN has gotten pretty bold...

Korean people. There's nothing bold about a shrine having guardian lion statues, any more than there is about having characters go to one of those barbecue restaurants with a grill built into the table.

CyberAngel

• Retired
My nicknames for the new characters so far: Tanya, Yaga-obasan and "PLEASE PET ME!"

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
You know, that very page you linked to already contains quite a few counterexamples to what you're saying.

I know. The trope page explains the meaning of the trope, and because this trope is so common, the page itself requested all examples listed under it to be subversions and aversions.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Hm...A fairy is getting more berserk, a Yamanba is getting more territorial, and a Komainu is getting more out-going and protective...It's as if along with the weather, their nature is getting more expressive. Also, maybe Tenshi could be in this game?

Hehe... What if Kokoro is behind all of this? After the events of 15.5 her emotions go out of control causing normally apathetic creatures to become more active. Kokoro is not the big bad however but the real mastermind is a person who uses this outbreak of emotions for her own gains.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

Lebon14

• 椛ちゃん、助けてぇぇぇぇぇ!
Not quite? エ (e) and ア (a) don't match up.
Yup. So, it's not an anagram.
Eternity it is.

<derail>Here's an actual anagram. Take the item from "The Legend Of: A Link To The Past"'s "Cane Of Byrna" (the blue cane). Look at "Byrna":
Byrna
Bryan <- Anagram of the above! </derail>.

Tengukami

Aya + Spring seems to be working best for me. Not really crazy about homing shots, but at 5 or 6 they seem to do well enough on stages. And I think I'm mastering the timing of unleashing Season. Absolutely great for the last few seconds of a card, or autocollecting when the screen is a mass of items. Time it right and it refills as a result of the autocollect.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
Fall Aya is a lot of fun on high difficulties for the silly season chaining over and over, but I sure do bump into an enemy and kill myself like, constantly. Even somewhat durable fairies will mess you up, aaaa; high risk high reward indeed. I gave Spring a good go as Marisa... it's effective at what it does, but you can't use it a lot like Summer or Fall, so I don't favor it a whole lot. It's pretty satisfying when you can get a full screen clear with a lot of items and bullets onscreen though, and that can pump it back to 3+. You're liable to only get like half the power you spent on a really good use even at high difficulty though... I'm really spoiled with Summer and Fall.

Still gotta try Winter again and see how useful it is for boss murrrderrrrr. Low spammability can be a decent tradeoff if it deals enough heavy damage. oh wow jesus christ that did a lot of damage
edit:Yeah, Winter has potential if you can get used to setting lv2~3 winters on the boss without killing yourself. Farms a good bit of season on many attacks, does a hefty load of damage (lv6 winter is amazing), etc. The forward focus damage is a welcome bonus, too.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 05:07:44 PM by Serela »
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

The winter releasable/minibomb is broken against boss fights.

Broken stuff

Tengukami

Fall is great, definitely, though Winter feels like ... maybe too powerful? And Summer just feels like cheating on account of how often you can use it.

Overall I'd say Spring and Fall have been working best for me.

Broken stuff

Yep, as I suspected about Winter. Also, great demonstration of how to collect season items with graze despite how they spawn quite a ways away from you.

Broken stuff
Looking forward to Touhou 16 speedruns.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Yup. So, it's not an anagram.
Eternity it is.

<derail>Here's an actual anagram. Take the item from "The Legend Of: A Link To The Past"'s "Cane Of Byrna" (the blue cane). Look at "Byrna":
Byrna
Bryan <- Anagram of the above! </derail>.

I'm OK with any version we end up with! Just tired of arguing with a certain person that her name is certainly not Etarnal  ::)
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Well I've decided to get back into Touhou after a year-long hiatus and it seems like I picked the perfect time for it. I've been trying out the touhou 16 demo with all four of the characters on normal difficulty.

.The first thing I've noticed that it's quite a lot easier than touhou 15. Back when I played the LoLK demo I couldn't even 1cc it, whereas I have already no-missed the touhou 16 demo on normal with reimu and marisa, which is especially surprising considering the fact that I should be very rusty with bullet hells right now.

.The lower difficulty is by no means a bad thing though. I felt as though touhou 15 was outright unfair at points, and I was never really a fan of the pointdevice "quicksaving" gimmick. Touhou 16 in comparison feels a lot more relaxing to play so far, a feeling that is especially helped by the usual brilliant music, and nice visuals. In particular I love the purple appearance of stage 3.

.Speaking of the music, the stage 1 and stage 3 themes are in my opinion two of the best stage themes ZUN has made in a while. ZUN really nailed the feeling of the stage 1 theme. It feels exactly like how a stage 1 theme should, like the start of an adventure. It features a funky bass line as well, which is uncommon for a touhou theme.

.The menu music also gets me pumped.

.Lily White is back - without a portrait. I'll take what victories I can receive though.

.Playing as Cirno feels strange. I notice from my extremely limited knowledge of Japanese that she is saying "da ze~" now as well. Maybe she's been hanging around Marisa too much?

.Aya feels somewhat weak compared to the other three. I tried her with both autumn and spring. Her shot-type is narrow and she doesn't have the same advantages as Marisa. Perhaps it's just me?

.I love all three of the new character designs already. Especially Kumano Aunn. Her pose is just too pure. This is a pleasant surprise considering none of the touhou 15 characters ever really grew on me.

.Stage 1 has a summer theme, stage 2 has an autumn theme, and stage 3 has a spring theme, and seems to be set near the Hakurei shrine. I imagine that stage 4 in the full game will be a winter stage set in the forest of magic. This would especially make sense seeing that Marisa is the winter character here.

.Despite the great stage themes and visual designs, the stage designs themselves feel uninspired. It is mostly just waves of fairies and spirits, with patterns that feel too familiar. Not a dealbreaker considering everything else the demo has going for it, but I wish that ZUN would spend a bit more time on making the stages, and even add some new enemy types.

.Eternity (Etarnity?) Larva is a fun stage 1 boss with a fast, frantic nonspell. It feels like a short fight though, even for stage 1 boss standards.

.Sakata Nemuno has good spellcards but a really bland nonspell. It is the least-threatening knife pattern in the series, just basic streaming. Almost feels like an unfinished pattern. I enjoy the rhythmic feel to dodging her last spellcard with the knife clusters.

.Komano Aunn's boss fight is great. Dodging her second and third nonspell is probably the most challenging part of the demo and her last spellcard reminds me of Parsee. Also curvy lasers.

.I actually quite like the season flashbomb system. Reminds me of collecting spring pieces for cherry borders in PCB. Using a flashbomb during a boss spellcard should fail the spellcard though, seeing that they can be every bit as useful as a regular bomb.

.Speaking of bombs, that is one massive master spark, Marisa.

Overall I'm impressed. There are some problems and signs of rushed development but the positive aspects easily make up for this. So far, I think I prefer TH16 to both TH14 and TH15.

Thcrap now has the music room & manual translated.
...but the controls section is missing the description for the Release Key (C Key). Hopefully that gets resolved soon.

That has been fixed and the patch and thcrap will automatically update whenever you run the game.
Also, English Dialogue is now in the patch!

Additionally, whenever there is a consensus on the name, it will be reflected in thcrap and the associated patch which will also automatically update whenever you run the patched game!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 07:21:06 PM by DTM »

That has been fixed and the patch and thcrap will automatically update whenever you run the game.
Also, English Dialogue is now in the patch!

Additionally, whenever there is a consensus on the name, it will be reflected in thcrap and the associated patch which will also automatically update whenever you run the patched game!
Nice! Seems like the only major thing left is the shot type descriptions. Props to all the translators, artists, and developers.

One more thing: Cirno (With a Zan) should probably be Cirno (With a Tan), lol.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Tengukami

Cirno with a zan. You know.

Don't you know what a zan is???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:07:20 PM by Tengukami »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Duh! Zan! As in Zanzibar, as in lifting someone higher, as in elevating oneself to a higher existence . It's a Hip and cool way to say she is stronger. Everyone knows this!  :V

Nice! Seems like the only major thing left is the shot type descriptions. Props to all the translators, artists, and developers.

Duh! Zan! As in Zanzibar, as in lifting someone higher, as in elevating oneself to a higher existence . It's a Hip and cool way to say she is stronger. Everyone knows this!  :V

We're glad someone understands! :V
(Unfortunately, it is now Tan)

Colticide

• Awoo!~
We're glad someone understands! :V
(Unfortunately, it is now Tan)

Well short lived meme haha! Fast work!

Also, good job translating the little Japanese snippets that ZUN doodles around characters' heads.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Its the small things in life that make it more fun lol, Never knew Derp could be a ... expression?  ???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 09:29:31 PM by Colticide »

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
I don't think I would have even noticed if someone didn't point it out.

Image translations are now finished (except for the JP menu captions, but those can wait until someone can retrace the background).
With that, th16-trial is completely playable in English!
thanks to all the handsome people who helped!

No, no, "ZAN" is the newest krispy creamy dank meme. It came to me when I was editing images half asleep one day.

After playing, i really like larva and aunn's theme, with larva sounds somewhat spacey? And aunn's theme has the word "valor" pops into my head after the first 2 seconds.

Looking forward to the full game! Also i already like the new cast but nemuno seems to be a fired and forget character since she seeks to be alone even more than those so-called hermits. A shame.

I would certainly welcome aunn if she would be another hakurei shrine's freeloader.

HistoryoftheMoon

Well, this is a thing that has already happened:

https://youtu.be/Wvxx0YVlqAw

700 million score within 2ish days. Crazy. Is Fall Aya going to be the go-to score choice?