Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 294879 times)

Or maybe ZUN is actually saying she's embodying insect growth, rebirth and metamorphosis?

'変態' does means "pervert" in Chinese - which is what Japanese Kanji is based on. But '変態' can also mean "metamorphosis", as in the stage where a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly (basically an insect's equivalent of puberty), and the inner pervert in most people automatically assumed it means "pervert". A case of "one word having multiple meanings", which is more common in Asian languages like Chinese, Japanese and Korean than it is in English.

Oh, duh, now that I actually Google it the Japanese Wikipedia article says this exact thing. Thank u

edit: the 'no music room' thing one JP poster reported may simply be a menu glitch, now that i think about it
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:50:31 AM by gilde »

Wait wait wait... how much of a power boost does Winter give you? Is it enough to make up for the lost options lol
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
So I've compiled some info based on very rough translation of the game text and personal experience.

(first three season items are just recolors of the same pellet-esque sprite.)
(all releases will convert bullets in their radius into season items)

Reimu - Spring. Items are cherry petals.
Spell Card: Spirit Sign "Fantasy Sakura Seal"
It's Fantasy Seal but pink.

Shots (for both main and sub): Breezy Cherry Blossom
Entirely homing shots (outside of amulets)
(generally they mimic the characteristics of the original shots)

SPRING OPTION RELEASE: Has very large area, changes bullets into PiV and more season items. Invulnerable during use.

Tanned Cirno - Summer. Items are green leaves.
Spell Card: Ice Sign "Cool Sunflower"
SA MarisaB's bomb, but bigger. Also maybe lasts longer.

Shots (for both main and sub): Perfect Summer Ice
Spread shots, diagonal split like in SA MariB
SUMMER OPTION RELEASE: Extremely short radius and time, but only consumes one option.

Aya - Fall. Items are fall leaves.
Spell Card: Wind Sign "Tengu Burst Storm"
Vertical area of damage initially angled based on your movement. Slightly moves in your direction when active.

Shots (for both main and sub): Crazy Fall Wind
The new needles. The main shot pierces when focusing.
FALL OPTION RELEASE: The circle of release centers around you and moves with you. Hyper-speed during usage.

Marisa - Winter. Items are snowflakes!
Spell Card: Love Sign "Master Spark Frozen"
It's a Master Spark but blue and with a giant snowflake symbol.

Shots (for both main and sub): Extreme Winter
Illusion Laser. No piercing.
WINTER OPTION RELEASE: Stationary barrier, your shots power up during duration and you are invulnerable to bullets (?)
This power boost only seems to compensate for lost options.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:08:06 AM by CrestedPeak9 »
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

Drake

updated
System:
- Graze and speedkilling enemies creates Season items
- Season items fill up gauge
- When it fills up one level you gain a bonus option
- Up to 6 bonus options
- Can press the Release button to get rid of bonus options and a circle spawns around where you press it
- Release circle cancels bullets and you gain point value based on how much you cancel, and also canceled bullets give you Season items back
- Effectiveness of Release depends on what your level is; the behaviour depends on subweapon
- Release can deal a ton of damage holy cow

Spring Release uses all levels, size of circle depends on level, and disappears quickly. You also become invincible. Spell Cards fail instantly.
Summer Release uses only one level, creates a small circle, and disappears quickly. Spell Cards do not fail.
Autumn Release uses all levels, creates a small circle that follows you, and lasts longer depending on level. You can also go fast. Spell Cards fail if you run into the boss.
Winter Release uses all levels, creates a small circle that shields you, and lasts longer depending on level. Your shot power also increases a ton. Spell Cards do not fail.

Having canceled bullets give you back Season items means that if done properly you can milk for point value. Summer seems especially good for this.

EDIT: updated again to include spell card bonus info
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:33:59 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

updated
Having canceled bullets give you back Season items means that if done properly you can milk for point value.
Does release affect spellcard bonuses?
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
Does release affect spellcard bonuses?
fails the card as if you bombed if you bomb after the card begins. so if you bomb before and it lasts into the card it doesn't remove the bonus
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Drake

Summer keeps it. It might be a bug but it does.

Doing damage to the boss with Release is what fails the card. This means Spring will easily fail cards at high levels, Autumn will fail if you ram into the boss, but Summer and Winter are fine.

Spring fails immediately
Summer is fine
Fall will if you ram into the boss
Winter is fine
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:34:07 AM by Drake »

Just played the trial

im already in love with the stage 1 boss theme

as for the bingo:

Lily White is a stage 3 midboss
The game has a sync issue with replays
3rd one is just my opinion >_>
Stage 1 boss (the butterfly we saw on the disc) has short blue hair

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
Here's a hard mode playthrough.

Overall, the difficulty feels right. Flashbomb mechanic seems interesting too. It'll take me some time to get used to, but that's alright.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

The return of the curvy lasers rip.

Also, the return of Yuugi's Stage 3 horn

Can't start the game. Always get the same error message, lots of japanese characters with "DirectImput" and "Direct3D" being the only words in english. Any ideas what it might be and how to combat it?

Drake

Interesting: custom.exe is in english here. Maybe it detects an english locale? OS language?

Can't start the game. Always get the same error message, lots of japanese characters with "DirectImput" and "Direct3D" being the only words in english. Any ideas what it might be and how to combat it?

Sounds like a graphics card thing?

Interesting: custom.exe is in english here. Maybe it detects an english locale?

I'm actually running a japanese locale, and custom is still in english.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 05:46:47 AM by Valar »

Interesting: custom.exe is in english here. Maybe it detects an english locale? OS language?
The custom.exe didn't seem to do anything on my end, e.g. changing the resolution does nothing.

This game has really fun mechanics, wow.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.

Destroy your computer and buy another one

that's the only way to combat the issue

The custom.exe didn't seem to do anything on my end, e.g. changing the resolution does nothing.

I think I get it. I had this problem with some other TH games when they refused to load on fullscreen. But here I can't actually make the game losd windowed, because custom.exe isn't connected to the game :(

Is it possible to force load an application windowed?

lol I found the problem with custom.exe.
Touhou 16's config files are in %appdata%\ShanghaiAlice\th16tr\
but custom.exe saves to %appdata%\ShanghaiAlice\th16\

I think I get it. I had this problem with some other TH games when they refused to load on fullscreen. But here I can't actually make the game losd windowed, because custom.exe isn't connected to the game :(

Is it possible to force load an application windowed?
Try copying the th16.cfg from the appdata th16 folder to th16tr.
What's your screen resolution?

Etarnity's design: Awww, how cute!

Nemuno's design: Isn't she supposed to look like an old lady? Looks ugly tbh.

Aunn's design: I didn't like at it at first, but then i saw fan artist's drawings of it. Now i'm a fan.

Wow, just after i was complaining about people complaining about Touhou, i complained about Touhou.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:24:57 AM by the old guy »
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

lol I found the problem with custom.exe.
Touhou 16's config files are in %appdata%ShanghaiAlice   h16tr
but custom.exe saves to %appdata%ShanghaiAlice   h16
Try copying the th16.cfg from the appdata th16 folder to th16tr.
What's your screen resolution?

"th16"

Then that means he must've installed that troll download

Yup, it worked. Thanks a lot.

Got it running on fullscreen at 960x720 resolution.

Also nice job at not responding to my helpful method of getting the game to work :^(

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
aargh i'm very happy, i really love etanity's theme
pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy
wen day is dark alway rember happy day

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
Apparently, Stage 3 takes place at the Hakurei Shrine, and Komano was just trying to guard it due to her nature as a Komainu...

So maybe Komano will be joining Suika and Shinmyoumaru (and Mima, Kana and Ellen if you count the PC-98 games) as a new permanent resident of the Hakurei Shrine?
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

Drake

It notes in the manual that you only get Season items from enemies if you kill them quickly. Speedkilling ahoy.

Chill Observer

• Aimless fanatic
  • haHAA
Score extends (in millions:): 5, 10, 20, 40, 70, 100, 150, 250.

We don't know what else beyond that yet. Highest known score is 175m on lunatic.
Retired Touhou player. Not involved with anything Touhou anymore.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
I am thoroughly enjoying the Season items thing. Especially when beating a spellcard using them generates enough to refill the gauge.

It's like TD only fun.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Colticide

• Awoo!~
I haven't seen a post yet on it, but will the digital demo be available sometime or is it already out? Really curious about the music!
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Everything so far seems so much fun!  The first 3 stages seem kind of easier than, let's say, LoLK or DDC, but considering how ZUN usually adjusts de difficulty between the demo and full releases, I'm certainly looking forward to how the full version will be!

That being said, the 2nd stage boss is tons of fun.  Plus, a mountain hag!  That was one youkai I wasn't expecting to see.