Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 294916 times)

Woah hold your horses there. It's too early for that. We don't know anything about her aside her appearance and her being one of the first three bosses. Maybe it's her being an insect and having a haircut similar to Wriggle's, but that still doesn't mean anything. Let's see what the game will tell us about her. At least she doesn't look like a boy

ZUN likes to make cute characters total asses, like Nitori.

And people like to accuse ZUN of running out of ideas whenever new characters are revealed. People claimed Nue was a rip off of Flandre (Which makes no sense.), people did the same thing with Junko, claiming her rivalry with Chang'e is a retread of Mokou and Kaguya's rivalry (Also weird, because it's completely one sided, to my knowledge Chang'e hasn't ever killed Junko.), i'm sure people said the same thing with Kagerou, and probably many other characters. It's really annoying because technically ZUN's been doing this since the beginning of the windows era, i mean, Meiling is literally just Orange.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Well nitori is really the only example I can think of, but it really depends on what you call a cute character.

I could care less about characters having similar things, they still have a defined personality and their designs are very different. For pc98 however... as cool as I like some of them most don't have the depth of design that windows character have. What design details from history can we learn from Ellen? Not much... but we can find a lot when it comes to characters like Nazrin or Yamame.

Edit: but to be fair sine EoSD was right after pc98 a few characters kinda have the same issue like Rumia and Cirno. We know a lot more about them in lore but design wise there's not a huge influence as some of the others.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 04:23:21 AM by Colticide »
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Probably. Google Translate sucks at quality translations.

No surprise since not all translators are accurate

Drake

to be honest the fact that i'm not going to bother retranslating the blog post because i figure people get the picture is a testament to how far machine translation has gotten due to advances in natural language processing

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
TOMORROW! IS! THE! DAAAAYYY!!!/i]
pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy
wen day is dark alway rember happy day

Colticide

• Awoo!~
to be honest the fact that i'm not going to bother retranslating the blog post because i figure people get the picture is a testament to how far machine translation has gotten due to advances in natural language processing

Agreed! While a lot say that Google translate is awful  (and to a point it is) but it can still give someone a decent picture of what the context is, even if you have to have some knowledge already. But it's not bad if you know what your doing. (God I'm defending Google translate. ..)

Nebulae--Addict

• hatsune the fuck
i used google translator to make some Touhou OC's, i don't use it anymore.
pls rember that wen u feel scare or frigten
never forget ttimes wen u feeled happy
wen day is dark alway rember happy day

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
Agreed! While a lot say that Google translate is awful  (and to a point it is) but it can still give someone a decent picture of what the context is, even if you have to have some knowledge already. But it's not bad if you know what your doing. (God I'm defending Google translate. ..)

Google Translate coupled with some simple basics in a language can be a huge help and even enable you to have a simple online discussion with someone who speaks that language. I regularly use it to contact doujin artists and musicians and it works quite well, especially now that Japanese-English has switched to neural networks.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Google Translate coupled with some simple basics in a language can be a huge help and even enable you to have a simple online discussion with someone who speaks that language. I regularly use it to contact doujin artists and musicians and it works quite well, especially now that Japanese-English has switched to neural networks.

Exactly! I use it on twitter all the time and have full conversations with artists. I would apologize for the poor japanese but they are very understanding and can understand quite well! As long as your using the right kanji/kana your fine lol.

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?

And people like to accuse ZUN of running out of ideas whenever new characters are revealed. People claimed Nue was a rip off of Flandre (Which makes no sense.), people did the same thing with Junko, claiming her rivalry with Chang'e is a retread of Mokou and Kaguya's rivalry (Also weird, because it's completely one sided, to my knowledge Chang'e hasn't ever killed Junko.), i'm sure people said the same thing with Kagerou, and probably many other characters. It's really annoying because technically ZUN's been doing this since the beginning of the windows era, i mean, Meiling is literally just Orange.

EoSD had quite a lot of PC-98 retreads or nods actually.

Sakuya is literally blue Yumeko. Down to the space/time warping and knife/sword throwing and loyalty to their master.
Meling is Orange as aformentioned
You can see some similarities between Patchouli and PC-98 Alice [Reclusive magicians who both use powerful elemental magic. Both also show up in the EX stage of their games; using their true power [Patchy because she 'feels better today' and Alice due to using her Grimoire]]
Hell; Remilia is the 'Scarlet Devil' and Shinki was the God of the Demon Realm [also known as the Devil] and is clad in scarlet; although aside from the wings that's about where the similarities end.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 08:44:05 AM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds

Seeing her arcs and profiles in HM and ULiL, yeah, Nitori's a pretty unfortunate example since I liked her MoF/SA design and personality a lot.

Now that you mention it though, I'm still fairly new to Touhou compared to many veterans here, but I've heard that accusations towards ZUN upon the revelation of new characters happened pretty much with every game. I've even seen somewhere that people even were initially quite toxic against the SA cast at its full release, now we've all seen in the recent popularity polls where especially Koishi and Satori have gotten to. As with DDC and LoLK, the only two major games of which I've witnessed the release up-close, I for myself didn't really saw any of the accusations except for that the musical characters in DDC are rather forgettable and that Junko VS Chang'e has ties to Mokou VS Kaguya, of which the latter comparison actually makes a tad bit sense since one side is (still) a Lunarian, while the other side is not (anymore). Other than this and that each arc involved a casualty, they're not really that similar. I literally don't see any similarities between Flandre and Nue aside from both having extraordinary designs for their wings and being EX bosses, Koishi would actually be more similar to Flandre since both are EX bosses and the younger sisters of mistresses that appeared in the respective main games. I guess that's the Touhou fandom for y'all, even though I'm not that sort of person who likes to accuse everything. People fortunately mostly settle down as time passes.

Let's hope that ZUN is actually being nice with the new cast  :V
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
It doesn't matter if he's nice with the new cast or not, just look at how happy he is right now.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
A smiling ZUN is always a good sign!

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
Well, that last sentence wasn't meant to be completely serious anyway. I'm of course always happier to see ZUN being in a good mood  ;)
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
It doesn't matter if he's nice with the new cast or not, just look at how happy he is right now.

Completely made my day.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CyberAngel

• Retired
Well nitori is really the only example I can think of, but it really depends on what you call a cute character.

Rumia acts goofy but her first interaction with humans was pretty much a literal "Can I eat you?"

Medicine would poison anyone without a second thought when we see her the first time.

Kisume is a loli who drops down and cuts off people's heads, according to her base legend. She even threw a whole skeleton at a bunch of kids!

Nazrin acts like a smug little asshole even to her superior.

Clownpiece is Clownpiece.

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.

(thread about zun of snip)

Rumia acts goofy but her first interaction with humans was pretty much a literal "Can I eat you?"

Medicine would poison anyone without a second thought when we see her the first time.

Kisume is a loli who drops down and cuts off people's heads, according to her base legend. She even threw a whole skeleton at a bunch of kids!

Creators have the freedom to change things from the base as they see fit.
Things can change, interactions can change.

End of argument, the way I see it... but that's just my opinion.
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

Bing translate is better

:V

Colticide

• Awoo!~
Bing translate is better

:V

:P ah yes! exactly! How easily I forget!

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
Tanned Cirno nendoroid is being made!

That was...fast! The demo isn't even out here yet!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:35:40 AM by Kageshirou »

the charas are so ill-defined in general it's like

you can literally pick specific incarnations of a character from different works in the same series and they won't be remotely consistent

there's a pretty famous chart comparing reimu's completely haphazard personalities across the various canon works and it's hilarious

just pick what you like from the franchise and ignore the rest, it's what zun does

It's screenshots time!! A bunch of people on JP Twitter are posting phone pics of their CD copies and someone in this thread is posting a buncha screens

I was gonna summarize the screenshot contents but Whoops Theyre Comin In Too Fast

The name at the top of the .exe window is 天星璋 instead of 天空璋... ZUN must've forgotten to change it after finalizing the title lol

also i imagine Look Don't Touch Policy is probably a good thing to follow re:that thread in question, just as a general reminder

<Karisa> Fixed broken link
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:51:13 AM by Karisa »

Drake

i.imgur.com/mHc4Szig.jpg

Butterfly-chan's name is Etarnity Larva, which means she's probably a fairy

i.imgur.com/OkT1NeQ.jpg

Looks like score-based extends

http://i.imgur.com/THDq2Jv.jpg "Breezy Cherry Blossom "
http://i.imgur.com/tw2UVc7.jpg "Perfect Summer Ice"
http://i.imgur.com/5f679YP.jpg "Crazy Fall Wind"
http://i.imgur.com/wpZ71u9.jpg "Extreme Winter"

Also subweapon select screen, season predictions were accurate of course
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:09:14 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

i was expecting something corny

i'm still floored

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness

Gotta love goofy names!  Her expression looks both adorable and hilarious!

Stage 2 boss is Nemuno Sakata, a yama-uba (mountain hag). Judging by the surname, she's the hag who raised Kintarou.

*edit: yamanba, rather
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:14:51 AM by gilde »

Fulisha of Light

• Also known as Felis-Licht
  • Light and Day Aeon ~C☆
Stage 2 boss is Nemuno Sakata, a yama-uba (mountain hag). Judging by the surname, she's the hag who raised Kintarou.
Spoiler: