Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 297849 times)

Shadowlupus

• Crimson Blade Hidden Amidst the Darkness
The only alternative I can think of for 'kono yarou' is "Curse you!", "Curse this (jerk/weather)!" and "Rats!" Dunno whether they are considered profanity or not.

I still don't think they are fitting but I gonna my share my idea anyway.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:21:32 PM by Kageshirou »

Maple

• Mukyuu!
Probably something to be defined by context. The previous or next sentence being either "dang it, incident" or "dang it, whoever made this incident".

I was wondering how long until someone decided to screencap a dictionary, confusing its definitions with actual translations. A dictionary is a vague categorization with no nuance whatsoever, a translation requires context because it is imparting meaning. And especially when it comes to Japanese translations, there is no such thing as a 1:1 mapping of meaning. At all. The meaning and _sort_ of term depends a lot on context. Which is the main issue with using dictionary translations in any sense, because, yeah there's like 8 similar words with different connotations. Which one are you picking? You can't just go "it's in there, it has to be right!" because you're automatically saying all the others are equally right. And as we all know words never have alternative contextual meanings.

So what happens if you look around for a native to define "kono yarou"? Fortunately we live in a high tech dystopia and Google can help us out.

Take for example this famous clip of an interview with a baseball player where he gets distracted by a heckler in the stands complaining that he can't hear the interview, and the player follows it with "kono yarou omae!" Since he's telling the heckler that, yeah, of course you can't hear it, he's talking to the mic, duh, an American would probably just say "you dumbass!" in the same context.

Like a lot of derogatory terms, intent matters.

K. So. Let's talk nuance here. Let's look at Marisa's line again.

なんだよ暑いじゃねーか
このヤロー!

When used like this, what is she trying to insinuate? よ is a clause ender, so it's disconnected and implies disbelief. 暑いじゃないか is a question, though: "Isn't it hot [out here]?" So she's directing that at someone. The implication here is that whoever she's cursing at is implying that it's not really hot. She could be pointing that at nobody in particular, or at a particular person/youkai/being, and it would change the implications a bit.

To phrase it in a similar way, if she said something like 溶けないか、このヤロー! to Cirno it'd be "This jerk just will not melt!" Expressing her frustration at Cirno not melting.

So, if directed as a person, "What the heck is with you?! It's totally hot out!" if I wanted to take the insult out of it while retaining the meaning.

And if directed at nobody, "What the heck! What idiot said it wasn't hot out?!"

tl;dr: It can't be helped.

I was wondering how long until someone decided to screencap a dictionary, confusing its definitions with actual translations.
I did not confuse anything, I merely pointed out that "You bastard!" can very well be a correct translation, let's say in the context of a shounen action series like Jojo or Hokuto no Ken.

But you're absolutely right that too many bad translators and fansubs take the dictionary definition and misapply it in the wrong context. For example, in the wrong hands, Hecatia would be "Strange T-Shirt Bastard".
You explained the nuances better than I ever could, so I'll just rest my case here and wait until Reitaisai to see who or what this "yarou" really is.

Cirno in summer is surely a balancing thing; she would be way overpowered if she could use her ice power in a game that wasn't designed around her being the only playable.

I wonder what Aya's shot-type will be like? Will she still have her camera power?

the shot freezing ability (and Aya's camera) could have a more limited availability (take longer to fill its own gauge to the max), with a bonus (optionally, for example, being able to use trance in TD without dying if you have all 3 trance gauges) for using it when it's full. In case these character-specific mechanics get implemented in the game, I wonder what would be Reimu's and Marisa's. Also wonder what their characteristics would be; Reimu is known for her default homing shots (in most games) and average speed, Marisa is known for her narrow piercing shots (or powerful shots, depending on the game) and speed, so I wonder how Cirno and Aya will be made different enough from them.

Also, Cirno sees more bullets than their actual amount in GFW (but somehow not in PoFV), and ZUN has also said something about returning to the basics before releasing MoF, yet the scoring system was different enough from the other games, so I don't think it's something I should worry about.
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

This is what I was really worried about... 

Unless we're getting a Raiden style pick up powerups to choose shot type.  But I kinda don't know how to feel about it as Touhou and Raiden's core styles just are so different that doesn't make sense for the Genre as it'd bring back the UFO problem but even worse as with Raiden style games you pick up the other color and you're back to basic power IIRC.  Been ages since I've played one.

the first thing I thought about when I read "Raiden" was wrist pain (if you don't use autofire), then the second thing was about how awesome Raiden Fighters Jet is for me, because it has event chaining (event messages such as "Discovered the Fairy!", "Killed the Fairy!", "Quick Shot!", "Destroyed at a Time!" serve as temporary score multipliers) and medal combining (although only to access another medal mode, so, used pretty briefly), which reminded me of UFO (how your "options" in RFJ attract falling airborne medals towards it and then they're combined into a bigger medal).

Speaking of Raiden, I'm reminded of another game which was apparently meant to be a competitor to it, but was pretty much forgotten: Varth (which also can give wrist pain if you don't use autofire), however I like this game for a different reason (or at least, one of the reasons): collecting powerups (even point items) give you temporary invincibility, so it encourages the player to play more aggressively and trust his/her own timing for powerup collection (so to take advantage of the invulnerability period), and managing the bomb gauge (which regenerates itself over time).

I wonder how a TH game with medal chaining would look like.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
the shot freezing ability (and Aya's camera) could have a more limited availability (take longer to fill its own gauge to the max), with a bonus (optionally, for example, being able to use trance in TD without dying if you have all 3 trance gauges) for using it when it's full. In case these character-specific mechanics get implemented in the game, I wonder what would be Reimu's and Marisa's. Also wonder what their characteristics would be; Reimu is known for her default homing shots (in most games) and average speed, Marisa is known for her narrow piercing shots (or powerful shots, depending on the game) and speed, so I wonder how Cirno and Aya will be made different enough from them.

Also, Cirno sees more bullets than their actual amount in GFW (but somehow not in PoFV), and ZUN has also said something about returning to the basics before releasing MoF, yet the scoring system was different enough from the other games, so I don't think it's something I should worry about.

Consistent in the series.
Reimu -> Average speed either (high to) average-powered forward focused shot or (low to) average-powered homing shot.
Marisa -> High speed with narrow but high-powered shots.

We receive each game one or two shottypes that stand out both in their respective games and more often than not, the series in general (Sakuya's aimable knifes [PCB], Youmu's ghost half [IN] and sword slash
, Marisa's Cold Inferno and Spread Star [MoF], Reisen's barrier bomb, among others).

Expect a gimmicky shot. Also, that one will probably be the best one in terms of scoring.

Aya probably will be a high-speed shottype.

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
Consistent in the series.
Reimu -> Average speed either (high to) average-powered forward focused shot or (low to) average-powered homing shot.
Marisa -> High speed with narrow but high-powered shots.

We receive each game one or two shottypes that stand out both in their respective games and more often than not, the series in general (Sakuya's aimable knifes [PCB], Youmu's ghost half [IN] and sword slash
, Marisa's Cold Inferno and Spread Star [MoF], Reisen's barrier bomb, among others).

Expect a gimmicky shot. Also, that one will probably be the best one in terms of scoring.

Aya probably will be a high-speed shottype.

Wonderful.

Spoiler:
(Sorry for not saying much, I just don't have much to say.)
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

I have to say, I don't like seeing the 0/3 and 0/5 life/bomb pieces, but who knows, maybe we'll get something else from that now, probably related to that corner gauge.

I'd (probably) like it if you could use partial bombs (with proportional damage and invulnerability time) like in Battle Garegga/Armed Police Batrider (where bombs can be used for score; LLS is vaguely similar in that bombs collect onscreen point items and double their value); alternatively, some Cave games like ESP Ra De/ESP Galuda allow the player to spend more than one bomb's worth at a time (by holding down the bomb button, you increase the duration of invulnerability and strength of the bomb's attack)
Translations.

When you think about it, story wise, it's a pretty interesting idea. I mean, putting two characters that fan oftenly associate a season(Aya/Reimu), while the other two are characters you wouldn't normally think with the season they represent(Marisa/Cirno). Marisa could be the complaining one, while Cirno would be the "wow, that weather's freaking cool" one with some funny lines.

It might be a faint wish, but I really hope Yuuka'll make an appearance. Boss 4, with different spell card depending the characters you play or the season. Since she's the flowermaster of four season, that could be a great opportunity for Yuuka to show off her flower power by the help of the four seasons, and for us to see beautiful battles !

speaking of four seasons, there's also Shikieiki, and if the incident involves seasons, some might be suspicious of Tenshi messing with weathers again. There are precedents for playable characters battling against the wrong perpetrators (Yuuka in PoFV, Yuyuko in PoDD TD lol).

I wonder if the game really has messed up seasons, if that's the case we could expect to see Letty, the Aki sisters and Lily White a couple times.
Translations.

Haha I knew we were around that time so i was checking his blog daily lately.

I really hope he goes back to the imperishable night style where you have to work to unlock last spells/last words, it gave the game so much replayability. Overdrives never cut it for me.

Actually my thought was the opposite.

Why not make all of them Red instead?

the way I see it, getting reds while not being at full power would become both the way to improve your survival chances and the way to obtain a higher score, and then, when you reach full power, either you play more safely (for higher survival chances) or not (for a higher score). Perhaps not having that small time window of getting to full power before collecting point items would be more fun (by not delaying them from getting more point items).

Outside score based extend-based  games score really doesn't mean anything.

this would be true for playstyles which focus on survival (or specific challenges such as no-bombs, spellcard captures, no-focus etc.), not on score (which often require riskier routes, riskier and more precise movements/positioning, prolonged exposition to dangers by milking patterns, use of resources for scoring, which means less resources available for survival, less room for mistakes).
Translations.

Aeteas

• Nonsensical
I'll post some random observations and theories I have after staring at the screenshots for the new game. A lot of these I noticed two days ago, but I didn't get around to posting anything. I don't expect them all to be right, but who knows?

From the logo, it's clear that spring is pink, summer is green, autumn is orange, and winter is blue. What else happens to use these colors? Lives, bombs, power, and PIV, respectively, which are positioned in the same order on the right side of the screen (similar to the last few games). I suspect this is not a coincidence, but we'll have to wait and see if there's actually some correspondence in the game system or if it's a purely aesthetic decision. He might just be using these colors because they look nice.

The symbols in the bottom left corner also have colors. Reimu's looks pink to me and Marisa's looks blue, which is in line with how most people are associating the characters and seasons. The symbol in the Aya screenshot looks greenish, so she's probably in summer mode. However, Cirno is already associated with summer. The symbols must be changeable in game, or there wouldn't be any point in putting something there. My theory is that using a bomb will advance the mode by one season. So Aya starts in autumn mode because she's associated with autumn, and after 3 bombs she ends up in summer mode.

Looking at the Marisa screenshot, she has three mini options trailing behind her. In the Reimu screenshot, she seems to have three mini crows following her, which I assume are mini Aya options. It's hard to tell because of the dark red background, but If you look closely at the Aya screenshot, I think there's a larger crow option next to Aya's head and a mini crow option a bit above that. Thus, there's some mechanic which allows each character to obtain mini options and these mini options can belong to other characters. No clue how this works though.

Speaking of Aya's option shot, it looks like the vertical space between the bullets gets wider as they go up the screen, so I suspect that they accelerate like Aya's EX attacks in PoFV. I also wonder if Aya has Gradius style options that follow her around. It's hard to tell. Reimu's option shots look like they change direction, so they're probably homing.

From all three gameplay screenshots, it looks like PIV gain is just a little more than three times the graze. I think this means that each graze is now worth 3 PIV, and bullet cancels are now worth relatively little. The Aya screenshot has bullet cancels from 2 bombs but still only has 30 PIV from 8 graze. Meanwhile both Reimu and Marisa presumably got a cancel from a midboss and their PIV gain is still only a little bit more than three times their graze.

On the title screen there's a rather conspicuous petal that's sort of magenta colored rather than light pink. There are petals of a similar color in the Aya screenshot. My guess is that it's some sort of seasonal energy, which charges up the gauge in the bottom left corner. I might be completely wrong about this one though since there's almost no basis for it.

I also have a hunch Lily White will appear. I'd be really amused if she appears to announce spring... and then she appears again later to announce spring a second time, since I assume the plot will be about the four seasons being in flux. I don't really think that will happen, but after Tanned Cirno, anything is possible.

Gondolin

• The Hidden Rock
Haha I knew we were around that time so i was checking his blog daily lately.

I really hope he goes back to the imperishable night style where you have to work to unlock last spells/last words, it gave the game so much replayability. Overdrives never cut it for me.
Absolutely. IN probably has the most hours played of all the games for me as a result- certainly I wouldn't have bothered clearing Lunatic if it weren't a requirement for a last word, normal usually being enough of a challenge for me anyway.

I'd (probably) like it if you could use partial bombs (with proportional damage and invulnerability time)
This would be nice, but I wonder if it wouldn't mess with game balance. Take a situation where you get 10 bomb pieces over a span of time and are able to do 10 1-piece level bombs- I can't see 2 full damage bombs and screen clears being better than that, but maybe I'm misguided. In my own play at least, I'd prefer having death bombs that keep me alive rather than the damage and clear from a whole bomb, except in perhaps specific unusual circumstances.

That said, there are loads of ways you could make the above strategy less powerful. Curious what you/others think.

This would be nice, but I wonder if it wouldn't mess with game balance. Take a situation where you get 10 bomb pieces over a span of time and are able to do 10 1-piece level bombs- I can't see 2 full damage bombs and screen clears being better than that, but maybe I'm misguided. In my own play at least, I'd prefer having death bombs that keep me alive rather than the damage and clear from a whole bomb, except in perhaps specific unusual circumstances.

That said, there are loads of ways you could make the above strategy less powerful. Curious what you/others think.

one example of what I meant is at 5 minutes 5 seconds of this video, when the player gets one bomb fragment (iirc, 20 fragments = one full bomb), which then shows up in the bottom-left corner, then bombs the airplanes (because they're worth more points if killed by bombs) while collecting bomb fragments; note that the bomb duration is short and not much damaging, compared to one full bomb (like the one used on the same stage's boss). In this game and Armed Police Batrider, bombs can also damage parts of stage backgrounds for points or to reveal medals (which are worth points), and some boss parts (and even destructible projectiles) are worth more points if destroyed by bombs. You can't choose how many bomb fragments to use when bombing on these two games, it's always one whole bomb, or all remaining fragments if you don't have one.
Translations.

Drake

Also, Cirno sees more bullets than their actual amount in GFW (but somehow not in PoFV)
Just gonna mention this was likely just an improvised joke justification for FW Lunatic having such intense danmaku. I wouldn't really take it as a serious statement.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Marron

• Ordinary crow
speaking of four seasons, there's also Shikieiki, and if the incident involves seasons, some might be suspicious of Tenshi messing with weathers again. There are precedents for playable characters battling against the wrong perpetrators (Yuuka in PoFV, Yuyuko in PoDD TD lol).

I wonder if the game really has messed up seasons, if that's the case we could expect to see Letty, the Aki sisters and Lily White a couple times.

It would be logic to at least one of them as midboss. I really think we'll see at least one character link to a season, and I think it will be lily white. If that's the case, it would be great for her to have an spellcard or two, she finally would have a spellcard background and a picture of her by Zun ig.

Kurzov

The half-baked theories of mine and others (in this thread):

So... yeah. Little early to be talking about story theories, suuure. If this needs to be cut and pasted into a different thread (in TARB, maybe?), let me know.

#1: Current consensus, whatever it may be. Something about some new character messing up the seasons.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure, with the on-off story discussion in this thread.
#2: Something similar to the 60-year cycle. #3: Konngara.
Spoiler:
("Swordsman of a Hidden Star"...? Highly unlikely, due to Konngara being a PC-98 character.)
[/i]
#4: Renko. I've heard around various fanfics, stories, and whatnot that Renko's ability is to use the stars as navigation. Connection?
Spoiler:
(Although this is extremely unlikely, since ZUN said this game will be a "return to the roots" and a "180 from previous works". But you never know.)
[/i]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:10:39 AM by ncfriend »
"Better think awhile

Well, from the past few games' experience the incident usually doesn't have to do directly to the culprit's actions or motives.

-In TD the spirits were just gathering on their own because Miko was revived
-in DDC the possessed weapons were a side effect of the mallet's power
-In LoLK the Lunarians were invading the earth because they were being under attack (and sending probes to Gensokyo before their invasion too, I believe?)

So if tradition sticks, there'll probably be a boss with some kind of ability like "Making planets change color" that somehow messed the seasons. 

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
It is worth noting the incident of DDC wasn't just the possessed weapons. Youkai were acting oddly aggressive, which was caused directly by Shinmyoumaru and Seija in preparation for their revolution.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Maple

• Mukyuu!
If that "return to roots" is in a gameplay sense, maybe the playable characters/shottypes will be measured with stars like in Story of Eastern Wonderland to Phantasmagoria of Flower View. Like

Reimu Type A
Movement Type (高機動タイプ)
Movement Speed: ★★★★★
Attack Range: ★★★★★
Attack Power: ★
Bomb Duration: ★★★

Kurzov

If that "return to roots" is in a gameplay sense, maybe the playable characters/shottypes will be measured with stars like in Story of Eastern Wonderland to Phantasmagoria of Flower View. Like
(SNIP)

Well, from the past few games' experience the incident usually doesn't have to do directly to the culprit's actions or motives.
-In TD the spirits were just gathering on their own because Miko was revived
-in DDC the possessed weapons were a side effect of the mallet's power
-In LoLK the Lunarians were invading the earth because they were being under attack (and sending probes to Gensokyo before their invasion too, I believe?)
So if tradition sticks, there'll probably be a boss with some kind of ability like "Making planets change color" that somehow messed the seasons. 
It would be logic to at least one of them as midboss. I really think we'll see at least one character link to a season, and I think it will be lily white. If that's the case, it would be great for her to have an spellcard or two, she finally would have a spellcard background and a picture of her by Zun ig.

Spoiler:
And the best part about all of this... is that we just don't know what'll happen until we get our hands on the demo. Wonderful.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:25:24 AM by ncfriend »
"Better think awhile

Drake

The half-baked theories of mine and others (in this thread):

So... yeah. Little early to be talking about story theories, suuure. If this needs to be cut and pasted into a different thread (in TARB, maybe?), let me know.

#1: Current consensus, whatever it may be. Something about some new character messing up the seasons.
Spoiler:
I'm not exactly sure, with the on-off story discussion in this thread.
#2: Something similar to the 60-year cycle. #3: Konngara.
Spoiler:
("Swordsman of a Hidden Star"...? Highly unlikely, due to Konngara being a PC-98 character.)
[/i]
#4: Renko. I've heard around various fanfics, stories, and whatnot that Renko's ability is to use the stars as navigation. Connection?
Spoiler:
(Although this is extremely unlikely, since ZUN said this game will be a "return to the roots" and a "180 from previous works". But you never know.)
[/i]

Reimu Type A
Movement Type (高機動タイプ)
Movement Speed: ★★★★★
Attack Range: ★★★★★
Attack Power: ★
Bomb Duration: ★★★
i will bet anyone that thinks these things five dollars that they won't happen

i will bet anyone that thinks these things five dollars that they won't happen
Well, of course. Has any theory in the past been correct, or even close?

Drake

[flashbacks to speculation that nazrin was a cricket youkai]

LoLK's Pointdevice was almost correctly described (without IWBTG resets) before the demo was released. Lunarian involvement and even that Jouga/Chang'e was somehow relevant was speculated. The game having something to do with seas (and specifically the lunar seas) was also poked at, but that was only coincidentally because kanju can also refer to the tide jewels in Shinto folklore.

A couple of people predicted tsukumogami characters in DDC. ZUN gave away that the tools were acting on their own so the shot type system was also guessed.

(of course there was a ton of speculation that was nowhere even close)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 06:30:45 AM by Drake »

[flashbacks to speculation that nazrin was a cricket youkai]

Honestly it's a real darn shame there was no slightly-blurred-midboss-sprite in this game's preview screenshots, it's always tons of fun to check places like pixiv and see what interpretations people have for those designs. 

Like that one boss from WnSP who's basically the artist's rendition of Sekibanki from DDC's preview screenshot

PK

• Border of Whatever
I wonder if the intense heat that is apparently going on will lead to Utsuho as stage 1 boss like Yuyuko.

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
I had a thought about that screenshot of Marisa's dialog. Assuming that the seasons-shenanigans is even remotely similar to the hijinks of the weather in SWR, could it be that the other playables are potential bosses in the game? What if Marisa complaining about the heat means Summer is overpowering her own season, and she must fight Cirno to win her influence back?
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Kurzov

I had a thought about that screenshot of Marisa's dialog. Assuming that the seasons-shenanigans is even remotely similar to the hijinks of the weather in SWR, could it be that the other playables are potential bosses in the game? What if Marisa complaining about the heat means Summer is overpowering her own season, and she must fight Cirno to win her influence back?

Then that means my thought could be more correct. It was 6 games between Dimensional Dream and Flower View... it's 7 games between Flower View and Four Seasons. Coincidence? I think not.
"Better think awhile

So it just dawned on me that, if Reimu is using Aya's shots and options, this game might be an extension of AoCF's story, what with the perfect possession thing and all.
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra