Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 294864 times)

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
Could you explain this? I've never heard of this plot thread. Is it from one of the mangas/books/OSTs/that official magazine?
That'd be from WaHH, chapter 25. Read and see for yourself. It's pretty vague and open for interpretation for now. We're currently waiting to see if any future work is gonna cover it up and tie up the loose ends before having any serious and concrete discussion.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Inb4 "you can't let yourself be trapped by common sense in Gensokyo" lol. I for one like the apparent contradiction of Tanned Cirno and am really curious what the background for it is in-story.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

nyttyn

• Drill baby drill!
IMO it's kind of making a fuss out of nothing because this isn't a "loose end." Tenryu, or the Celestial Dragon, is basically touhou's version of the Big Dipper, and it wants to devour the north star to gain control of the heavens. WaHH isn't the first time it comes up in the series (that'd be CoLA ch 22, which isn't one of Rinnosuke's usual nonsense theories since it's backed up by WaHH 25), and I think it's nothing more than world-building information as the timeline for it happening is really, really far in the future (thousands of years at the least). Even when it does happen it's somewhat outside of the scope of the series itself - the fate of the stars is something you'd find in Gurren Lagann. While it's vague as to what will happen when the north star is eaten, and that can be speculated on to kingdom come, I feel that it's an event completely outside of the scope of the series.

On the note of speculation...man, ZUN has so many great characters to draw back on for season based shenanigans. It's a tragedy that we'll see exactly none of them since even when it makes the utmost sense ZUN practically never brings back old characters for the mainline shuute games (ignoring Alice and Yuuka, we've gotten Cirno like 3 times, Yuyuko, Kogasa, and...uh, I think that's it?).

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
If by "old characters" you mean anyone from a previous game returning as a boss (seems like it since you mentioned Kogasa who was UFO-TD), there's also Nue (UFO-TD), Sanae (MoF-SA), Aya (PoFV/StB-MoF). All of them except Cirno and Yuyuko were from the previous game, though.

Also Reimu/Marisa in IN if you count that, though that was probably ZUN's method to give them non-bomb spell cards.

It would be surprising if a season-based game doesn't contain any of Lily White, Letty, or the Aki sisters (why is there no summer-based character?), even as a random midboss, but then... perhaps not that surprising?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:06:18 AM by Karisa »

Yuuka is often used to represent summer, as there is not a " real " summer-theme character. Now we have Cirno for that. Maybe.

As someone said previously,Yuuka there as a boss would be great, but ZUN does his own thing i guess. I'd like to see her again though.

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
EDIT (to add quote):
Yuuka is often used to represent summer, as there is not a " real " summer-theme character. Now we have Cirno for that. Maybe.

As someone said previously,Yuuka there as a boss would be great, but ZUN does his own thing i guess. I'd like to see her again though.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be spring, with the sunflowers and all?

Anyways, I've got a feeling that there won't be a single mention of Yuuka, but we'll see...

Spoiler:
EDIT-2: Also, this thread is real popular. 20-some guests viewing at the time of the edit. Wow.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:46:53 AM by ncfriend »
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

Spoiler:
EDIT-2: Also, this thread is real popular. 20-some guests viewing at the time of the edit. Wow.
Spoiler:
Yep that tends to happen whenever a new game is announced or released.

The seasons and a star, as well as this being a "return to roots"... Though it's unlikely, does anyone else think this might be somewhat similar to the 60-year cycle? Eiki explained it as being nature resetting (like this game being possibly like the earlier Windows games), and that it was 60 years because that's the four seasons times the three lights times the five phases. We know there are the four seasons, and the title has a star in it (unlikely, but perhaps the Swordsman of a Distant Star?). There are five stages before the final boss (five phases). That leaves the sun and moon. The Stage 4 bosses usually have some differences depending on the character, so what if characters relating to the sun and moon showed up for Cirno and Aya? Cirno is Summer, so the sun is for her, not to mention her sunflower. Aya is likely Autumn, and the Harvest Moon shows up during that season. (Okay at this point it sounds kind of flimsy, but I think I'm on to something.)

Drake

Not at all, lol

As far as responses to the crow options thing, I'm personally leaning towards it being a system where your extra options change depending on that supposed season gauge. If each character represents a season then perhaps that's the relation.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:16:22 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
The seasons and a star, as well as this being a "return to roots"... Though it's unlikely, does anyone else think this might be somewhat similar to the 60-year cycle? Eiki explained it as being nature resetting (like this game being possibly like the earlier Windows games), and that it was 60 years because that's the four seasons times the three lights times the five phases. We know there are the four seasons, and the title has a star in it (unlikely, but perhaps the Swordsman of a Distant Star?). There are five stages before the final boss (five phases). That leaves the sun and moon. The Stage 4 bosses usually have some differences depending on the character, so what if characters relating to the sun and moon showed up for Cirno and Aya? Cirno is Summer, so the sun is for her, not to mention her sunflower. Aya is likely Autumn, and the Harvest Moon shows up during that season. (Okay at this point it sounds kind of flimsy, but I think I'm on to something.)

I'd actually agree with you here... maybe. It's a little over my head here. I'd gladly take Konngara as a Windows boss. :derp:
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier
"なんだよ暑いじゃねーかこのヤロ "
"Why is it so hot? Goddang..."

Or something like that.

Well, yaroo means "bastard". Essentially, she's not pleased. XD

Just this one sentence of Marisa saying "bastard", and suddenly there's a spike in fanworks of her sprouting profanities like a modern day American teenager...
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

i vote komachi for random low stage boss

because it makes about as much sense as any other possibility given series history, really

and no, neither 'yarou' or 'kono yarou' means bastard, please throw your bad fansubs out, kisamas

Drake

or maybe it'll be tenshi because they think she's toying with the weather again, temee

I'm really excited for this! I didn't expect a new entry into the main series so soon.
It's always surprised me that conversations about past and future games seem to rather contentiously center themselves around mechanics as opposed to danmaku, although I suppose that phase of discussion begins when the demo has actually been released. Hopefully this game's supposed return to form involves that more than anything. In TD, DDC and LoLK everyone (aside from the Tsukumo sisters, Ringo, Doremy, and Junko - in my opinion, of course) seemed to make use of some surprisingly bland patterns. Hecatia was a specifically big disappointment, because even though I loved her theme and design to death, her spell cards, while challenging, put me to sleep conceptually.
Looking at the screen captures, more radial triangle bursts ? la LoLK stages 1-3 seem to be on the horizon, somewhat disappointingly. Isn't there something a little suspicious about that one with Aya, though? What's the fairy in the upper left firing (or dropping)?

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
or maybe it'll be tenshi because they think she's toying with the weather again, temee

The final boss is always going to be a new face. That's normal Touhou tradition...
...Which you guys still cannot accept...

Why do people always think the final boss is going to be an old character despite every single instalment (save SoEW, Soku, STB, DS and ISC) having a brand new character as the final boss?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 04:16:15 AM by Lt Colonel Summers »

Drake

what part of "random low stage boss" did you not read

i don't think you know me very well if you assume i wouldn't know something so first-day basic as that

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel

i don't think you know me very well if you assume i wouldn't know something so first-day basic as that

Sorry about that. :X

commandercool

• alter cool
I'm really looking forward to this as a jumping-back-on point to Touhou for me. I've been following Touhou closely and reading the manga this whole time, but LoLK basically scared me off from the main series games for a while with its sheer difficulty. I'm not expecting Touhou 16 to be easy necessarily, but I really hope it's not quite as rough as LoLK and maybe DDC were.

Meanwhile, the fanart this game has created has been fantastic so far. I normally don't especially care about Cirno, but Tan Cirno has inspired tons of gorgeous and/or cute art already and Mittens Marisa is fantastic as well. They're both really weird design calls that work surprisingly well.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

It's always surprised me that conversations about past and future games seem to rather contentiously center themselves around mechanics as opposed to danmaku, although I suppose that phase of discussion begins when the demo has actually been released.
Danmaku generally gets lumped in with characters when it comes to discussing future games. Since we don't know any new characters, we can't really discuss new danmaku.

That being said, it'll be nice to have non-Pointdevice-oriented spellcards this time around.
Playing Touhou since 18 March 2012. Playing video games since 19XX.
Normal 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, HSiFS, CtC.
Extra 1CC: EoSD, PCB+Phantasm, IN, PoFV (K&S), MoF, SA, TD, HSiFS, CtC+Phantasm.
Hard 1CC: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, CtC.
Lunatic 1CC: EoSD

That actually reminds me of that one time ZUN said he had Hijiri in mind as the ex boss of TD.

If he ever decides to put a recurring character as a major boss it'd be so weird tbh. x__x  Thankfully it's more than unlikely that it'll ever happen.

What a shame I was expecting Youmu to be playable again or make an apearance

That actually reminds me of that one time ZUN said he had Hijiri in mind as the ex boss of TD.

If he ever decides to put a recurring character as a major boss it'd be so weird tbh. x__x  Thankfully it's more than unlikely that it'll ever happen.

I've always wondered about that. I feel like he would have meant Ex midboss, but I can't really verify.

My thinking being, Mamizou's been pretty important since she's been introduced, I find it kind of odd to think that she wasn't planned in advance...
Plus, Nue does seem kind of out of place as the ex midboss. She doesn't have much connection to the story, and her relationship with Mamizou hasn't been really acknowledged since Ten Desires. It kind of feels tacked on tbh, Byakuren would have worked just as well since it's her temple. And I could definitely see ZUN changing his mind at the last minute about who the ex midboss would be.

Though I'm just speculating. And I guess that doesn't have much to do with HSiFS :v
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Drake

her relationship with Mamizou hasn't been really acknowledged since Ten Desires
FS 30+31!

Welp, there goes that "human protagonists only in main games" trend! *evil laugh*
Reisen in LoLK.

Anyway I'm excited for this game, but the font on the title screen looks like it's from a fangame lol.

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
Reisen in LoLK.

Anyway I'm excited for this game, but the font on the title screen looks like it's from a fangame lol.
I've been wondering about that too. Dug through the omake.txt files of the trial and full version again, former says that she's a human but was apparently changed back to moon rabbit in the latter, which is sort of confusing. But now we actually have two playables from whom we can be fairly sure they're not humans in any way, so that's certainly something new. Let's see what their profiles in the demo say, which I'm really looking forward to read mostly because of the backgrounds that got those two involved in a major arc.

It's been probably pointed out by someone else, but now that you say it, the font of the English title and menu looks sorta mechanical and unfitting for the general theme unless ZUN does a major plot twist  :V
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 03:17:51 PM by Jimmy »
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!

and no, neither 'yarou' or 'kono yarou' means bastard, please throw your bad fansubs out, kisamas

?\_(ツ)_/?

But I guess Marisa's line is more about "It's those annoying jerk's fault that it's so hot...", whoever those annoying jerks might be.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
You basically touched on it, but I think Mauve was trying to say that the Japanese word doesn't have the same gravity as the English word oft-chosen to represent it. I personally would not use any of those words listed in definition 2, but then again, I can only speak for myself.

R. P. Genocraft

• Craftsman of absolute unpredictability
  • Boundary of productive and lazy
I don't know if I should be happy because new 2hu or sad because I was planning on a fangame based on seasons too...

I've been wondering about that too. Dug through the omake.txt files of the trial and full version again, former says that she's a human but was apparently changed back to moon rabbit in the latter, which is sort of confusing.

This was explicitly stated to be a mistype. Reisen is NOT human in any way. (I was joking earlier when I said she, Aya, and Cirno were honorary humans).
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

Jimmy

• Shameless spender
  • gaining big pounds
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing up. I was only stating my confusion about Reisen's profiles in LoLK though.

So basically the "human protagonists only" trend was already broken by LoLK, now HSiFS is taking that even further.
Normal 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK Legacy, HSiFS, WBaWC
Hard 1cc: IN, DDC, HSiFS
Extra clears: MoF, DDC, HSiFS, WBaWC

Goals: Going Extra Hard!