Author Topic: Touhou 16 「東方天空璋(とうほうてんくうしょう) ~ Hidden Star in Four Seasons」 announced  (Read 294920 times)

I just re-read it and it said he'll *sell* the demo.

Aren't demos supposed to be free? Least in the west.

~Shin Kuroi~

• Sleepy Cat
  • fuwaaa... sleepy...

if i recall correctly, he always has sold the demos. they're cheap, though; usually about 500-600 yen !
yawn...

I hope this game will have bright and joyful music, just like "The Childlike Duo's Naturalis Historia".

And playables Cirno-tan and Aya Crow are freaking amazing!

Looks like Cirno has become somewhat special character considering how many times he has appeared in official games... Quite a feat for a level 1 boss.
Personally I hope that Alice would get more screen time, after all she is a special character.

Anyway as this game is season based I really hope we could see Letty or the Aki sisters making a new appearance...
Another thing I though  that would be cool and theme related is that the playable characters would have a sidekick:

Cirno and Yuuka will form a tag team, Aya will pair with the Aki sisters and Marisa and would team up with Letty...
Poor Reimu has to do with sarcastic Lily Black as Lily White has more important things to do.
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

They're sold for a low cost before the full game is released. After that the demo will be available for free download on his website. People buy the demos to support ZUN while getting a collectable CD and case in return.

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
Yeah, some demos are free, some are sold for a small price. It's entirely up to the circle/developer.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
While Cirno gets all the attention and love for her tan, in the mean while Reimu is wielding a LANCE. That Gohei is long. Very long.

Several artwork already appeared expressing this.

While Cirno gets all the attention and love for her tan, in the mean while Reimu is wielding a LANCE. That Gohei is long. Very long.

Maybe she realized after killing the fortune teller that she needs a bigger weapon?
Blog updated: 14.11.2011
Twitter

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
Yeah, some demos are free, some are sold for a small price. It's entirely up to the circle/developer.
I remember someone suggesting the idea of a paid demo for some other game, and nobody else thought it was a good idea.

At least ZUN offers them for free eventually.  Let's face it, does anyone really want to pay just to "watch a trailer?"

Lt Colonel Summers

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Do not mess with a soldier

Reimu's gohei getting longer with each sequel is already the case in the past. Its only with HSiFS that it became long enough as to become a meme.
Although I also have to note that the gohei shrunk back to normal length for all the fighting games (IaMP, SWR, HM, ULiL) before explicitly becoming long again in the next shooting game.
There's nothing inscribed on the dog tag...

CyberAngel

• Retired
Quite a feat for a level 1 boss.

* CyberAngel slaps Tsalop with EoSD jewel case

Maybe she realized after killing the fortune teller that she needs a bigger weapon?

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" - Clownpiece, probably

What does Marisa say here?
check http://vsoft.life/ for runs & creations
latest stream: Hollow Song of Birds Hard 1cc (OrangeReimu) @ https://youtu.be/eDFd4FHEjXg

Onion

• Classic era Marisa-like entity
  • Failing at Touhou since 2000-something
"Return to basics"

inb4 ZUN overhauls the game into HRtP.
Please wait warmly. Girls are intentionally leaving this space blank.

Since everybody has these: 1CC PoDD ez, 1CC(?) EoSD ez, PD LoLK, something something HM ULiL

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently

What does Marisa say here?

"なんだよ暑いじゃねーかこのヤロ "
"Why is it so hot? Goddang..."

Or something like that.
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Please no. I've had enough of american politics on the net being literally everywhere, I'd rather not have any more of it in Touhou.

Bit too late for that I'm afraid.

I get the feeling the difficulties are going to take more after types of precipitation.

Ah, this makes more sense.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

CrestedPeak9

• Fangame Advocate
Only Marisa would go out in winter clothing in the middle of spring/summer and complain about the heat.
Lunatic 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, TD, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS, WBaWC

Only Marisa would go out in winter clothing in the middle of spring/summer and complain about the heat.

I'm sure she can't help it, imo all the characters got stuck in a season, maybe according to their personnalities or something ( sounds like SWR though ).

Drake

I remember someone suggesting the idea of a paid demo for some other game, and nobody else thought it was a good idea.

At least ZUN offers them for free eventually.  Let's face it, does anyone really want to pay just to "watch a trailer?"
I think it's pretty well-understood in the doujin scene that charging something like 200~300円 is basically just to recoup any production costs. It's less about it being a demo than it is just being a physical release with a large number of copies to be made. Spending say a dollar per copy for even 1000 copies still puts you down a thousand bucks. People will pay the small bit to cover it and get the demo rather than wait for the free web version that only comes out a few weeks before the full version anyways, so why not?

なんだよ暑いじゃねーかこのヤロ
Marisa's line is something else. I can't really describe it besides saying that it sounds hilarious. I don't think I can translate how funny it sounds.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:34:47 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

PapilLionesskort

• "Perfectly Immoral Moral Person"
  • Pretty much just lurking innocently
Well, yaroo means "bastard". Essentially, she's not pleased. XD
Write or fight, same thing. You might as well come out swinging either way.<3 Just not too hard, as that's no fun.

Marron

• Ordinary crow
I'm sure she can't help it, imo all the characters got stuck in a season, maybe according to their personnalities or something ( sounds like SWR though ).

Hmmm...well in that case I don't understand why Marisa doesn't have the summer season. She's oftenly joyful and a little "wtf". It doesn't really contrast with her personnality.
In truth, aside from the fact that Reimu is often associated with spring and even has a theme with "spring" as a title, I would see Reimu more associated with winter, she seems more cold, she exterminates youkai without any reason even though it's not for evil intentions. I mean, she tends to keep some distance with most of Gensokyo's residents while Marisa is more interested and open to the other residents, may they be youkai or not by the way.
But it's true since LoLK, it seems like Marisa has become somewhat more...cold or something like that.(It's more a feeling I have, though.)
She used to be kind of cruel and sarcastic in the 98 era too. Maybe it's not only the game, maybe Marisa is returning to the classic one ? Lol, just joking.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
Bit too late for that I'm afraid.
Yes, I'm aware, hence "not any more of it." Having any of it in Touhou was to me a misstep already.

Drake

Well, yaroo means "bastard". Essentially, she's not pleased. XD
I mean more that I don't think I could do it justice, not that I couldn't translate it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:41:36 AM by Drake »

Hmmm...well in that case I don't understand why Marisa doesn't have the summer season. She's oftenly joyful and a little "wtf". It doesn't really contrast with her personnality.

Welp i have nothing to say against that  :derp:. Even in CiLA Rinnosuke mentions multiple times that Marisa is weak against the cold, and isn't especially pleased about winter.
Though i think Spring is pretty fitting for Reimu. Then maybe it will be just random, with characters more or less pleased about the outcome .(Cirno's outfit shows she isn't displeased about it imo)

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
English is a pretty poor language when it comes to these kind of nuances. I wouldn't even know how to justify it in Dutch. In Turkish on the other hand, I could translate it without mangling the expression.

game2011

• mineiptXD
    • Supreme ??asual Dating Verified Women
I think it's pretty well-understood in the doujin scene that charging something like 200~300円 is basically just to recoup any production costs. It's less about it being a demo than it is just being a physical release with a large number of copies to be made. Spending say a dollar per copy for even 1000 copies still puts you down a thousand bucks. People will pay the small bit to cover it and get the demo rather than wait for the free web version that only comes out a few weeks before the full version anyways, so why not?
Dedicated fans may do that, but no matter how you look at it, the majority would rather receive it free than to pay for something that only has limited contents and becomes obsolete eventually.

Marron

• Ordinary crow

Welp i have nothing to say against that  :derp:. Even in CiLA Rinnosuke mentions multiple times that Marisa is weak against the cold, and isn't especially pleased about winter.
Though i think Spring is pretty fitting for Reimu. Then maybe it will be just random, with characters more or less pleased about the outcome .(Cirno's outfit shows she isn't displeased about it imo)

When you think about it, story wise, it's a pretty interesting idea. I mean, putting two characters that fan oftenly associate a season(Aya/Reimu), while the other two are characters you wouldn't normally think with the season they represent(Marisa/Cirno). Marisa could be the complaining one, while Cirno would be the "wow, that weather's freaking cool" one with some funny lines.

It might be a faint wish, but I really hope Yuuka'll make an appearance. Boss 4, with different spell card depending the characters you play or the season. Since she's the flowermaster of four season, that could be a great opportunity for Yuuka to show off her flower power by the help of the four seasons, and for us to see beautiful battles !

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Dedicated fans may do that, but no matter how you look at it, the majority would rather receive it free than to pay for something that only has limited contents and becomes obsolete eventually.

The majority of people would rather receive everything for free. This isn't relevant. Comparing it to a movie trailer would only be valid if trailers were like the first half of the movie.

I mean, just wait for the full version and buy it I guess. This is such a weird, entitled complaint.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

Wow, people want to not pay for things. Good for them?

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning that the calls for "simple gameplay" here don't necessarily match up with what ZUN might call uncomplicated. People seem to interpret this to mean mostly barebones systems whose mechanics are mostly geared towards scoring and otherwise not an active part of regular play. All he really seemed to say with DDC is that there are "no complicated systems so that people can freely enjoy dodging bullets". Which really is what the game is -- there's no special items, no strange mechanics or abilities, etc (note DDC came after divine spirits, trance, freezing, cameras, and UFOs); you just dodge things, PoC a lot, and bomb. While it is true that the game is fairly demanding in that it wants you to aggressively route PoCs and/or bomb for resources, that doesn't really make the system "complicated". Now after LoLK, that's probably more of what we're going to see here. People seem to be looking for a more "coasting" game where they don't have to concentrate on anything besides the patterns, which I don't think is necessarily the intention.

Zelinko

• The Wandering Mind
wut i didn't see this before
why am i hyped
is this the easier game i've been wanting since impossible spell card came out

Here's some examples where they're useful since MoF:
  • UFO: Mixed with a Rainbow UFO, you get power. Parts of stage 2 come to mind specifically for farming power from point items and Rainbow UFOs. Also useful as filler for Green and Red UFOs.
  • DDC: Essential for getting 2.0 multiplier and life pieces. Parts of the game only spawn enemies that drop score items.

In a scoring aspect, they're very important. In the survival aspect I can see why it's near useless to you for score items to exist. But you can't just say that they're "useless" when it's almost impossible to get resources in UFO and DDC from just using power items. By your logic, ZUN should just remove power items and keep you at 4.00 power because they give little score and do nothing but increment a number on the side of the screen and make bosses die slightly faster.

Actually my thought was the opposite.

Why not make all of them Red instead?  So one you hit max power all the Reds give bonuses as a sorta overcharge bonus.

I might be wrong about this but don't the UFOs and DDC things not care if you're feeding em reds or blues just sheer volume of things nomed up by them?  I'm more sure about this with DDC than with UFO though. In the 'Everything is Red' scenario the system still works out as is without changing the core mechanic.

Still we saw in Fairy Wars that it's plausible to roll with and kinda interesting.  And Mystical Power Plant so far has give me always max and was interesting on how that worked out.  And really why shouldn't he do that?  Outside score based extend-based  games score really doesn't mean anything.

I think winds are also on the table. For example, it can be Cool Spring Breeze (Suzukaze), Summer Evening Shower (Yuudachi), Grass-dividing Autumn Typhoon (Nowaki), Winter Snow Storm (Fubuki)... I can imagine some fans see the climate theme as practically an open invitation for KanColle puns.

Although I think with the obvious poi puns word filters might be needed else we'd reach a POInt where everyone goes insane rather quickly.

Well, why not? I know I'm not the first to say this, but the power system is a great example of something that's in the games because it's always been there, and maybe it's time to reconsider. It makes the early game more annoying and luck-based (especially in EoSD / PCB where you can't PoC below max power, but thankfully that's been left behind), and it makes deaths unnecessarily costly (especially in UFO).

I kinda think it'd be interesting to try out more if only because of that.  With bombs not actually drawing from fire power again it's not like it'd matter at all.  It'd kinda be novel.  I mean POFV didn't have boosting primary shot leveling and it worked out... although admittedly POFV is weird.

Also if this discussion of concepts needs a spinoff just make the move as I'd find it neat to think about this.

Wow, people want to not pay for things. Good for them?

By the way, I think it's worth mentioning that the calls for "simple gameplay" here don't necessarily match up with what ZUN might call uncomplicated. People seem to interpret this to mean mostly barebones systems whose mechanics are mostly geared towards scoring and otherwise not an active part of regular play. All he really seemed to say with DDC is that there are "no complicated systems so that people can freely enjoy dodging bullets". Which really is what the game is -- there's no special items, no strange mechanics or abilities, etc (note DDC came after divine spirits, trance, freezing, cameras, and UFOs); you just dodge things, PoC a lot, and bomb. While it is true that the game is fairly demanding in that it wants you to aggressively route PoCs and/or bomb for resources, that doesn't really make the system "complicated". Now after LoLK, that's probably more of what we're going to see here. People seem to be looking for a more "coasting" game where they don't have to concentrate on anything besides the patterns, which I don't think is necessarily the intention.

I'd rather have a game going back to simplicity. I don't want a DDC style setup as that was just as heavily gimmick focused as UFO or TD. Just get us back to like EoSD/PCB/IN (just make sure the hitboxes ain't wonky like in EoSD).  I don't like the entire "YOU MUST BE HYPER AGGRESSIVE OR GET NOTHING" Mindset that LoLK and DDC really pushed. 

I like the idea for a 'coasting' game which is just focused on having fun and not dealing with annoying gimmicks. Hell it's been what I've been kinda looking for for years,  TD brought the difficulty back down from "This is just not fun at all" of UFO but LoLK went 'you call that hard?'  Because of Point Device Mode being pushed super hard because of how bad the drops were in Legacy Mode.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:52:56 AM by Zelinko »
This Space For Rent

Kurzov

• All good things must come to an end sometime.
When is Summer Komiket, by the way?
"Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, my friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?"
~ Genesis (Undertow, 1978)