Author Topic: ATTENTION: Attempted security attack discovered!  (Read 41058 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: ATTENTION: Attempted security attack discovered!
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
Okay, I just changed a few things. However, does this new nickname thing mean that I can't go with my previous username as my nickname?
Again, we can change your username to something else so you can use it as your nickname.  Just PM a staff member.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
Okay, got my username changed (thanks TSO), and changed my password.

Had a couple of thoughts though:
  • Could the attacker(s) be doing anything with OpenID authentication?
  • The one time I got logged out, I got logged out of TV Tropes at the same time. Does that mean the logout was probably something on my end, or might it mean that TV Tropes is also being attacked?

Edit: I changed my TV Tropes password, too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:15:56 PM by Whuth »

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
OpenID isn't working at all at the moment, and as for being logged out of here and TVTropes at the same time, that's all you :B

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2011, 04:21:54 PM »
Done and done.
I love my new name. Don't you agree?
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
Darn it. After changing BOTH my name and password, I just got logged out. What the heck?
TF2 Backpack

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2011, 05:30:26 PM »
I'm screwing with stuff so it's possible sessions are just being corrupted.  There hasn't been a successful attempt since I blocked TOR last night.

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2011, 05:33:05 PM »
Darn it. After changing BOTH my name and password, I just got logged out. What the heck?
For the people who got logged out after changing name and password, I remember that any previous time I changed my name, I got logged out after some time, so I assume that changing your display name somehow defaults the selected option from "login forever" to "1 hour", so if you want to be sure, log out and back in after you changed your name. If you get disconnected again, then something is definitely up in the air.  :derp:
This 1-hour thing seems to be true. After I had my username changed and password reset, I was logged out when I finally came back here, and when I went to log back in it was set to stay logged in for 60 minutes.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2011, 05:35:14 PM »
All your existing cookies are invalidated once your username is changed.  So you'll have to set yourself to stay logged in again.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #98 on: February 17, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
At this point there hasn't been a successful attempt since last night when I blocked TOR.  So for those of you continuing to be logged out, clean your cache and cookies and make sure you're setting "stay logged in forever" when you log in.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #99 on: February 17, 2011, 06:23:39 PM »
I'm sorry.

Maybe I'm a little slow, but I don't understand this at all...

I have a:
Username
Name
Nickname

But I still want to use "GreenVirus," so do I have to fill in the nickname field? I uh... honestly don't get this...

I'll have three fields with the same information...  :/

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2011, 06:25:12 PM »
I'm sorry.

I have a:
Username
Name
Nickname

But I still want to use "GreenVirus," so do I have to fill in the nickname field? I uh... honestly don't get this...

Set your nickname to GreenVirus, and then if your username is also GreenVirus, ask an admin to change that to something different. The other name (the one that shows at the top-left of your posts) can be whatever you want.

« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2011, 06:35:43 PM »
I'm sorry.

I have a:
Username
Name
Nickname

I'll have three fields with the same information...  :/

Username is for the purpose of logging in only. You and the admins are the only ones that will ever be able to see it. It should be different from your nickname.
Display name is what's on the top left of your posts and can be set to anything you want.
Nickname is the little line under your avatar that shows which user you are. It fills in for having to go to the user's profile and check the username there. As stated before, it should be different from your username for safety reasons.

So, for example, you can set your username to Jim Jim Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim, then set your nickname to GreenVirus, then set your display name to GreenVirus or whatever else you want. The purpose of having a different username is to make it significantly more difficult for someone to get into your account.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:27 PM »
Thanks guys~

I'll just do what A-F did then-
You'll see in a moment.

----------------------------

E: Even users from the forum are going to have a hard time finding out what to call me :<
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:56:36 PM by Myosotis❖Alpestris »

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

Agent of the BSoD

• Never forget
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
Username is for the purpose of logging in only. You and the admins are the only ones that will ever be able to see it. It should be different from your nickname.
Display name is what's on the top left of your posts and can be set to anything you want.
Nickname is the little line under your avatar that shows which user you are. It fills in for having to go to the user's profile and check the username there. As stated before, it should be different from your username for safety reasons.

So, for example, you can set your username to Jim Jim Jimmy Jim Jimmy Jim Jim, then set your nickname to GreenVirus, then set your display name to GreenVirus or whatever else you want. The purpose of having a different username is to make it significantly more difficult for someone to get into your account.
Ok, that makes MUCH more sense. I get it now.
Well, I want to keep Agent of the BSoD as my name so I guess that'll have to be my nickname. So that means I have to change my username don't I.
TF2 Backpack

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2011, 07:31:17 PM »
Thanks guys~

I'll just do what A-F did then-
You'll see in a moment.

----------------------------

E: Even users from the forum are going to have a hard time finding out what to call me :<
Then ask to have your username changed so you can use it as your nick?  It takes me 5 seconds to do it really, just PM me what you want as a username.

Ok, that makes MUCH more sense. I get it now.
Well, I want to keep Agent of the BSoD as my name so I guess that'll have to be my nickname. So that means I have to change my username don't I.
Yup, PM me for a username change.

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #105 on: February 17, 2011, 07:45:44 PM »
Anyone whose display name has ever matched their username should get their username changed, since old quotes keep their authors' old display names.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #106 on: February 17, 2011, 10:22:39 PM »
Wow, lucky I changed my display name to something different from my username the first week I'm on this site...

But now I need to come up with a nickname...hmm

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
It's worth noting that after changing my user name, I just got logged out again. :/
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »
It's worth noting that after changing my user name, I just got logged out again. :/

Immediately after, or some time after?

If the former, that's supposed to happen.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
I just got logged out too, and my username is still the same. What should I do now? I already sent a PM to change my username...

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
There hasn't been an attempt since last night.  Just log back in.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2011, 12:44:12 AM »
Thanks for the change, TSO

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

An Odd Sea Slug

• Not here, but not really there.
  • Only the best.
    • You can save the world by clicking this link!
« Reply #112 on: February 18, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »
I cleared my cookies and cache, set the thingy to forever, yet I keep getting logged out after a certain amount of time. I'm so confused...

Mimachiro

• Master of the Swimsuit
  • Making being an evil spirit look good
    • Tondemonai
« Reply #113 on: February 19, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
I cleared my cookies and cache, set the thingy to forever, yet I keep getting logged out after a certain amount of time. I'm so confused...
You did remember to change the login time back to forever, right? After clearing everything, it defaults back to an hour.  :D

"I don't have anything against you, but I hope you're ready to die a dog's death!
Oh, don't worry, that cat will carry off your body, so you'll be able to live in our place!"

Iliq

• Something
  • And something else
« Reply #114 on: February 19, 2011, 09:22:50 AM »
That was insidious plan to make not talkative ones post a bit more.

This is very true.

Well, at least I finally have an excuse to use this internet name somewhere. This can only be good!

« Reply #115 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »
Weel,  Hello everyone.
  I am quite new here so no PMin for me, hah. Sadly, I got here after these changes were set. I would have liked to suggest making the login screen 'lock out' a user for so much time after so many failed attempts at guessing username and password. I can't say I like having to remember two usernames, but for the sake of security, I will deal.
  Thanks for keeping our information safe. Peace.

Schezo

• en-counse
« Reply #116 on: February 19, 2011, 03:02:53 PM »
Well you really only have to remember your login username because your display name shown is always there when you login. :V

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #117 on: February 19, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
Weel,  Hello everyone.
  I am quite new here so no PMin for me, hah. Sadly, I got here after these changes were set. I would have liked to suggest making the login screen 'lock out' a user for so much time after so many failed attempts at guessing username and password. I can't say I like having to remember two usernames, but for the sake of security, I will deal.
  Thanks for keeping our information safe. Peace.
Yes, allowing other people to lock you out of your own account is wise.  And you only have to remember your username.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2011, 07:05:21 AM »
After changing my password I got logged out for the first time since i joined this forum.
Is it possible that they're monitoring any changes that have been made since the first attack?
People seem to be getting logged out after changing their details.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
Changing your profile crap logs you out once as a security measure. Pay attention, people.