Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 218802 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #420 on: November 17, 2016, 04:03:29 AM »
Yeah, Re:Zero was on my to watch list for a while, and then people turned on it and now it really isn't... What do you think all things considered? Worth a watch despite the ending, or not?
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #421 on: November 17, 2016, 04:28:57 AM »
I don't even know how to respond to that, really.

I would say "please watch it for
Spoiler:
Rem because she is a precious, wonderful character
" but if you stop at the episode I'd recommend you stop at, it's still a massive cliffhanger that resolves nothing to the point of even saying that nothing was resolved at the end of the episode. It was pretty great up until episode 18, which had one of the most heart-stompingly beautiful scenes I had seen in a long while, and it continued to do okay (with some frustration) up until episode 21. After that, it's absolutely fucking stupid.

I don't know how to recommend it. I could speak very happily about a lot of Re: Zero, but I'm so fucking mad at it right now that I'll leave it up to your discretion. Just know that the ending was the biggest letdown you could ever imagine (and from what I am hearing, the source material only gets worse). In fact, it goes beyond letdown straight into betrayal. I can't forgive it.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:34:12 AM by Matsuri »

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #422 on: November 17, 2016, 07:25:57 AM »
emilia master race

Let me also remind you that the main focus of the story was Subaru/white-haired-half-elf relationship since episode 1, and it has never changed.

Spoilers from the source say
Spoiler:
Subaru decided to go the harem route. Rem was okay with that. Emilia was like
Spoiler:
"who the fuck is Rem?"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 07:40:40 AM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #423 on: November 17, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
Spoiler:
I honestly don't give a shit who he got paired with. My point is that the writing and execution of his relationship with Emilia was fucking garbage and held next to no weight-- meanwhile, his relationship with Rem was far better executed and dropped like it was insignificant. And to drop Emilia from the plot half way through the story and treating her as a delicate flower to be rescued COMPLETELY FUCKING UNDERMINES the type of person she was outlined to be. And what was that reconciliation? Three minutes at the very end of the last episode, Subaru basically fucking parrots all of the very beautiful things Rem said to him in episode 18, says he loves her, and says he's sorry for being a dick, and all of a sudden Emilia reverses all of the negative feelings she had? Are you kidding me? That was a throwaway plot that was dug up in the most lazy way.

I don't care what was intended, the execution was completely unforgivable.

Delfigamer

« Reply #424 on: November 17, 2016, 05:13:57 PM »
I honestly don't give a shit who he got paired with.
From what I've seen, nearly all of the people who weren't happy with how the adaptation turned out were also fond of Rem, at least more so than of Emilia.
I, on the other hand, happened to stumble into a somewhat paradoxical situation, where I want Emilia to be the best girl, but understand that, objectively, she probably isn't (as you've said, her character hasn't been really shown yet). And I was quite satisfied with the series till the very end.

We've already talked about it on another site, and the general consensus was that White Fox screwed up with the adaptation. Many important things were left out, the last arc was basically rewritten, and the last episode just makes no sense. Also, many of the unresolved questions you've asked here are actually dealt with in the books. So, I think you shouldn't avoid the novels just based on what whoever you were listening to said.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 05:15:39 PM by Delfigamer »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #425 on: November 17, 2016, 06:30:35 PM »
We've already talked about it on another site, and the general consensus was that White Fox screwed up with the adaptation. Many important things were left out, the last arc was basically rewritten, and the last episode just makes no sense.
This sounds like Akame ga Kill!

I can't take that seriously, though, since Rem:Zero was a huge success for White Fox. They know how to capitalize on these sorts of shows.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #426 on: November 17, 2016, 06:46:46 PM »
I can see why it was successful, because it was fantastic up until around episode 21, and then the plot was complete shit that insults the quality of the rest of the show. People were already invested by that point.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #427 on: November 17, 2016, 07:51:54 PM »
This sounds like Akame ga Kill!

I can't take that seriously, though, since Rem:Zero was a huge success for White Fox. They know how to capitalize on these sorts of shows.

Knowing the cuts made- honestly I disagree too. White Fox did pretty good with an otherwise poor franchise for the first half, and would make me believe a mansion arc ending.

If anything, I'd say their problem was giving it way too long a run and not finding a good stopping point. They were way too trigger-happy with the 25 episodes, and probably had an S2 planned before they realized how fucking badly the missing part of the final episode would make the series plummet.

If they stopped at Mansion arc or early... whatever happens after I gave up on the train wreck, it might have ended better. Many questions, sure, but too many of those aren't capable of being answered in any speedy time format because jesus christ nothing really happens if you think about it.

Re:Zero honestly mostly suffers from having been an overambitious test that... failed, if only because the audience clearly liked the wrong parts of the story. Because the story was also ADMITTEDLY made to troll consumers and not play for them ahahaha but that's another story, but in short, it's not White Fox, it's Re:Zero itself honestly.

Delfigamer

« Reply #428 on: November 18, 2016, 12:56:45 AM »
If anything, I'd say their problem was giving it way too long a run and not finding a good stopping point. They were way too trigger-happy with the 25 episodes, and probably had an S2 planned before they realized how fucking badly the missing part of the final episode would make the series plummet.
That's unlikely. Most of the stuff they cut were Chekhov's guns to much later arcs (some of them didn't shoot even in the books yet), and the last episodes basically killed any continuity whatsoever. I personally think WF specifically planned not to make S2, and tried to cut the first three arcs in a way that would make sense by itself, which came to bite them in the ass.

Rem:Zero was a huge success for White Fox
See, that's what I'm talking about. Everyone was so invested with a girl that was only a plot device designed not to let Subaru fall into depths of despair; so when the anime dealt with her like with a device, it accomplished nothing but fueled the already present anger.
Again, from what my sorces say, the books promote Rem to a proper heroine instead, so they should go better even on this front.

Lemme just copy what the sources quote.
Spoiler:
As he continued to realize many things, there was the protection and clean-up of the village. The future seemed full of difficulties. —Also, before that, there was another mountain that Subaru had to climb.

“Ahh, umm, Emilia-tan… I have a really important thing to talk to you about, but..”

“Yes, what is it?”

Emilia had put one finger in her silver hair, and she slowly turned her neck to face Subaru. Her bluish purple eyes were full of trust, and seeing them Subaru was able to feel that his actions had been worth it. However, he was still scared when he thought of how those eyes would react to what he would say next.

Subaru had a problem that he could not avoid that he needed to tell Emilia– that was naturally, about Rem.

If you were speaking of people he needed to thank, in this time’s loop there was not a single existence who had so wholeheartedly helped him than Rem.

Thanks to her deep love and dedication Subaru she had kindly healed his heart that was once broken, and she had called back to him a resolve to stand back up and fight against fate.

If there hadn’t been that moment, Subaru would not have been standing here right now, were it not for her existence he would never have been able to escape from the hell of giving up.

Rem had stayed by his side and continued to support him during his most bitter and painful moment.

Towards her, who had done all of this for him, Subaru held the deepest affection and wonder.

Up until now, Subaru had believed that his thoughts were earnestly focused on only one person. In reality, to Subaru the person on his mind was also Emilia and no one else.

However, the existence of Rem, while leaving his affection towards Emilia unchanging, had become just as large to him and remained in his heart.

And so Subaru made a clear choice. It may be unsightly to become serious all of a sudden, but since he was unable to give up on his thoughts towards either party,

–He decided to take both Emilia and Rem.

Also, he had already received permission from Rem for this insolent idea. All that was left with this problem was persuading Emilia, and he had been told by Rem to talk to her together, but,

“If I depended on Rem up until that point, I’d be the worst of the worst.”

Even if he had created the chance for Rem to also join in on the conversation, it was Subaru’s responsibility to begin speaking about it. He was scheming to receive the love of two girls, so it was a hurdle that he had to overcome.

Taking a breath, he chose his words while feeling his heart throbbing quickly. His forced his line of sight that was swimming around to face forward, and looked at Emilia. She was staring back at him. Super cute.

“It’s something that is really hard to talk about, but I would like you to hear me out. Of course, I think that I’ll need to report this to her sister eventually as well, but… First, I wanted to tell you.”

“….Yes?”

In hesitation, Subaru had made an unnecessary introduction, confusing Emilia. Agonizing over his weakness of putting it off like this, Subaru desperately racked his brains for words.

His head was put into full gear, the fastest it had been during these past few days. He worked his synapse so hard it seemed like sparks would come out, and tried to find the best response – !

“Actually, it’s about Rem. Rem is, uh, she.. to me… Uhh, you know? And so, by that confession I was really acting for myself but..”

Sweat slowly spread over his forehead as Subaru started to speak. It seemed like he was already trying for some sort of excuse, but he thought that Emilia, who was good at guessing would understand with him saying just this much.

In front of Subaru who was covered in sweat, Emilia raised her hand and said “wait.”

“Subaru, calm down. I lost track of what you were trying to say. I understand that you are trying your best to explain it. You’re a good kid, so slow down.”

“Saying it’s because I’m a good kid, it feels like my rating went down.. No, I’m not being manly. Ahh, I’ll say it cleanly. Um, so… actually Rem also said that she loved me, so since Emilia-tan also likes me… uh, you’ll both be mine, uh how should I put it..?”

Entrusting himself to the momentum he made a two-timing declaration.

Thinking back to his statement just now, he drew back considerably. Of course, Emilia’s response would be similar to his own, or she would probably look at him with eyes of disappointment and scorn. After imagining such a pessimistic situation, Subaru nervously looked at her, and

“ ——-”

Emilia’s response was completely different from Subaru’s imagination.

She frowned at his words, and stayed quiet while putting a finger to her lips in deep thought. Scrutinizing his declaration, she was thinking of a proper punishment to give to him – it wasn’t a light atmosphere like that.

“Subaru.”

“Yes.”

After his name was called, Subaru turned to face Emilia directly.

She also faced directly towards his gaze filled with resolution. However, her eyes were full of bewilderment, and Subaru was unable to understand her reaction.

And then, the following words completely went beyond Subaru’s comprehension.

“–Who is Rem?”
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 01:15:53 AM by Delfigamer »

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #429 on: November 18, 2016, 01:39:11 AM »
The biggest problem is that, as far as the anime goes, they wrote Rem, who I guess was supposed to be a plot device (which doesn't do the quality of her character justice tbh), far, far better than they wrote Emilia. to the point where she may as well have been the main female character, and just dropped her once she had served her intended purpose. Had Emilia's character not been executed so poorly, I would not have minded this as much as I did.

And don't get me wrong, I don't hate Emilia at all and if her romance with Subaru is meant to be a core piece of the plot, they shouldn't have dropped her from the story as abruptly as they did and just ignored her existence until the last episode. I really wanted to like her! But it's hard to get attached to a character when all of the plot lines that involve her are completely ignored for half of the series. After the episode where Subaru makes a complete ass of himself in front of her and the Astrea knights, she loses all trust in him and leaves. Good, I liked that. She NEEDED to leave so Subaru could stop being such a pathetic fuck, and honestly, she deserved better than the way he was treating her. HOWEVER, she should not have been gone from the plot for so long. There was no chance for her to grow or develop in the story at all, which left her a flat, one-dimensional character. She became the plot device and Rem, who was already a very prominent character in the story, took further prominence as she gained all the action and screen time. And even then, if Rem was meant to be the plot device that pulls Subaru out of his madness and self-loathing, that would have been fine had Emilia been able to pull her weight as a character, and she just didn't. THAT is what is making me so upset with how the story played out. She just got railroaded into the last few minutes of the last episode. They could have made the last few episodes, that were complete garbage, so much better had they allowed Subaru to resolve his issues with Emilia soon after the White Whale fight and let her be a significant character during the fight with Betelgeuse and the Fingers. She had a moment where she got to fight, once the writers remembered that she actually has neat ice powers and is a very formidable fighter, but then Subaru died and she got thrown right back on the pedestal of delicate damsel that she should have never been. She should have been right at Subaru's side fighting Betelgeuse (and then removed that stupid chase scene after he gets crushed by rocks) to spend more time actually resolving the story instead of leaving everything hanging. THAT is why I'm so irritated, the execution was so unforgivably bad.

I'm also rather irritated at the notion that I'm somehow bitter that Rem didn't end up with Subaru and that's why I didn't like the way the anime played out, and that couldn't be farther from the truth. Honestly, Rem doesn't need to be paired with anyone because the quality of her character is quite solid the way it is (and she already has a pretty good dynamic with Subaru and Ram anyway). So to push her into a romantic relationship just for the waifuism doesn't matter to me at all. What irritated me is that the story wrote her into suffering every step of her way through the story, and she grew very well from it, but there was no payoff, no resolution, nothing. She spent so much time being a significant character with lots of screen time to simply not existing. That's why the audience was far more taken with her-- because she actually had presence and impact and overall SIGNIFICANCE in the story that Emilia never achieved.

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #430 on: November 18, 2016, 02:06:02 AM »
That's unlikely. Most of the stuff they cut were Chekhov's guns to much later arcs (some of them didn't shoot even in the books yet), and the last episodes basically killed any continuity whatsoever. I personally think WF specifically planned not to make S2, and tried to cut the first three arcs in a way that would make sense by itself, which came to bite them in the ass.

As far as I know actually a lot of them aren't guns and are basic info on what's going on, actually. But if that's the case no they're cut because they weren't immediately relevant and we have to make the plot go along at a much faster pace than a written novel. 'Not shot' means 'Not relevant yet so we have 0 reason to save and need to make cuts' and 'shot gun' means 'will return later and can be adressed then' essentially.

Novels of any kind get sliced when made into animation format, no matter if it's a book novel or cheap web novel anime.

Again, from what my sorces say, the books promote Rem to a proper heroine instead, so they should go better even on this front.

This is where I laugh at you like a hyena from now on because you think proper heroines get
Spoiler:
written out of the story by surprise gluttony priests

Oh my goodness, no, Novel Rem gets it much worse.

Also, that scene was originally included in the episode storyboards for the final episode. That's my key clue that they were considering an S2 originally, but they decided on bailing at some point before storyboard->episode. Or packed a spare cut without the part.

SEI

• Constantly uncomfortable.
« Reply #431 on: November 18, 2016, 02:15:31 AM »
aww, well ok then LET ME KNOW if you ever need someone to nerd out about kumoko with or if you ever reach out to the web novels and start getting mind blown

I CAME HERE FOR DISCUSSIONS ABOUT MY PRECIOUS SPIDER CHILD. That said, there have been so many chapters, I've pretty much forgotten the names of most non-spidery characters.

Also, Sophia looks way cuter than I expected and I wish I hadn't seen the illustration for Ariel so at least I don't have to know what a hot mess she looks like.

Drake

« Reply #432 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:33 AM »
So I just watched the first episode of the Pokemon Sun/Moon anime.

I really liked it.

The voice actors for the new characters are great, and the aesthetic of both visuals and music were solid. Everything about the episode felt like it came from one of the early Pokemon movies, down to the explanations of why they're in Alola, the various establishing shots of all the different Pokemon and interactions with them, to the casual upbeat battle, and so on. The animation style really didn't bother me at all, and the animation direction and overall quality were much better than I anticipated. Of course, it's just the first episode, but I hope they keep it up. Also, the OP and ED are extremely catchy, and the VA for Satoshi sings the OP.

That being said, the whole episode was just establishing various things and I haven't gotten Sun yet so I have no idea what structure the plot is going to have besides "beat the trials". It didn't really clarify what role the school has either besides "Ash is going", but I'm totally up to see where this goes.

EDIT: Oh wait I forgot they aired two episodes lmao brb
EDIT: nvm no subs in an hd encode yet

Ok so episode 2 was good too. Not as good, animation wasn't as fantastic besides in some key parts, but still good. If this is the standard for the animation I'm not worried at all. It also seems to be pointing that Ash is going to go adventure to beat the trials, but the school is going to be used as a hub point or something? Anyways it's looking decent. I like how they give you a taste of the Z-Move (being Gigavolt Havoc, not Pikashoot) but don't actually give it to him yet. Good decision for multiple reasons.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 09:36:46 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Delfigamer

« Reply #433 on: November 19, 2016, 10:29:52 PM »
Ah, so that [spoiler] explains why Nyankoro is so perfect. I mean... she is so perfect!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:36:25 PM by Delfigamer »

Delfigamer

« Reply #434 on: November 20, 2016, 10:09:56 AM »
Wait, did Shun Moritsuka just talk with who I think it was?

« Reply #435 on: November 22, 2016, 03:05:44 PM »
Focusing on the second season of Gochiusa after watching the first season in two day. What a shame with re;zero from the looks of conversation it turned shit at such a weird time, will still have to check it out at some point considering it still has an otokonoko.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2016, 01:32:45 AM »
#YuriOnIce

I need nothing else in my life, now or forever.

« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2016, 05:58:18 AM »
#YuriOnIce

I need nothing else in my life, now or forever.
Can't help but be a tiny bit disappointed that it seems to be about boys named yuri opposed to ice skating lesbians.
Also I didn't even finish gochiusa, time to work on that tonight, I suppose.

Drake

« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2016, 06:21:46 AM »
watch flip flappers if you want lesbian

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #439 on: December 04, 2016, 04:54:16 AM »
Oh right, I guess I'm actually able to post here.  Got sent to watch Hibike! Euphonium. Watched S1 in like 2-3 days, am current on s2 except the most recent one because :CR free member: No regrets.  Give me more KumiRei scenes.  All the KumiRei scenes.

(the other characters are nice too don't get me wrong, but the interactions between Kumiko/Reina give me life.)
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Delfigamer

« Reply #440 on: December 04, 2016, 12:24:40 PM »
Wow, ViVid was such a different experience they should've dropped the label of Nanoha since then. It feels much more like YuriOnMahjong rather than What's The Worst That Could Happen Between Terrorists And Children; and, for me personally, it was a good thing. Frankly, the old Nanoha was quite boring for me.
Yeah, since I'm a heretic already, let me add one more thing: I like Einhardt's device Teo much more than Engrish Projectors. I still don't understand the point in using "English", as well as "German", both storytelling-wise and lore-wise. It's not like they are produced in Germany, or TSA has any regard for industrial languages on a planet they don't even administrate; and you could shave a good amount of narm off just by using a translation convention.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 12:31:45 PM by Delfigamer »

TenPlates

• Trying Not To Miss One Plate!
  • Still In Practice!
« Reply #441 on: December 06, 2016, 06:06:33 PM »
I'm still trying to catch up with One Piece, that anime is entertaining to watch. Then again, there are others shows that I need to watch, like Madoka Magica or Nichijou... Even if that last one doesn't make that much sense.
"Having a normal life in Gensokyo."

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #442 on: December 06, 2016, 07:23:21 PM »
Totally late to the show, but I finished Kyoukai no Kanata last night. Pretty good, but the fanservice episode in the middle, while cute, was totally OOC and out of place. Would have worked better to make that an OVA or something and put something more substantial to the plot in that episode slot.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #443 on: December 06, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »
Totally late to the show, but I finished Kyoukai no Kanata last night. Pretty good, but the fanservice episode in the middle, while cute, was totally OOC and out of place. Would have worked better to make that an OVA or something and put something more substantial to the plot in that episode slot.
KnK's plot has...serious issues, though. It shines through in the last few episodes and then in the movie, it's nonsense. I like it when they flair up the characters instead, especially with how attractive they look.

Actually, wait, we agree on that. Episode 6 should be an OVA. Guess I just wanted to talk about the plot.

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #444 on: December 06, 2016, 10:15:22 PM »
It definitely has plot issues, but they weren't as unforgivably bad as SOME CERTAIN SERIES THAT I'M STILL MAD ABOUT. I wonder if the novels are worth reading.

Delfigamer

« Reply #445 on: December 08, 2016, 01:58:38 AM »
Occultic;Nine is the best zombie survival movie of the 21 century.

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #446 on: December 09, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
I recently finished Re:Zero. I thought it was really good though I'm enjoying all the angry reaction videos of episode 18 possibly more than the last few episodes of the anime itself. I'm also officially a Remtard and Felix is best trap. My friend is trying to get me to watch Plastic Feels, though I'm not sure what I want to watch next.
Uwaaaa~

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #447 on: December 09, 2016, 06:01:15 PM »
I still think Re:Zero 18 is absolutely fucking fantastic. I love Rem to pieces and think she had far better chemistry with what's-his-face-i-already-forgot, but didn't care if there was a romance between the two. They were fantastic as friends. It's just that the direction the anime took after that was unforgivable shit.

Lt Streko

• Gates of Yukari
« Reply #448 on: December 09, 2016, 08:07:49 PM »
I don't think the end was THAT bad. I still enjoyed the last few episodes. That being said, there were certainly some issues with the last few episodes. My biggest issue is the fact that Emillia doesn't really do ANYTHING. Kind of reminded be a bit of Asuna from SAO. Probably my favorite thing about those last few episodes was Betelgeuse.
Uwaaaa~

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #449 on: December 10, 2016, 12:22:17 AM »
Plastic Feels
If this means Plastic Memories, WATCH IT.  Be ready, you heard that nickname for it for a reason.  It's a WONDERFUL series though and one of my favorites I've watched this year.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!