Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 218874 times)

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #330 on: April 15, 2016, 07:01:49 PM »
I'm going to keep watching this simply because it is so shockingly bizarre and bad. I mean, this is seriously a feminists nightmare fuel!  :D
You got the fuel part right, would probably be more of a dream accelerant for them though.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #331 on: April 15, 2016, 07:06:46 PM »
You don't need to have watched or read anything to reference it.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #332 on: April 16, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »
Could it be just a coincidence? Or something else entirely that gave similar ideas to ZUN and whoever created that manga.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #333 on: April 16, 2016, 10:58:27 PM »
So I've managed to get myself invested in High School Fleet this season. I went in expecting cute girls, school life, and boats. What I didn't expect was
Spoiler:
cute girls being branded mutineers after being baited into attacking their instructor's ship.
;>;

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #334 on: April 16, 2016, 11:43:56 PM »
So I've managed to get myself invested in High School Fleet this season. I went in expecting cute girls, school life, and boats. What I didn't expect was
Spoiler:
cute girls being branded mutineers after being baited into attacking their instructor's ship.
;>;
Share in Roukan's misery.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #335 on: April 17, 2016, 01:10:29 AM »
This makes me happier than it should, haha. It's been awhile since I've seen any of Rou's commentary.

Delfigamer

« Reply #336 on: April 17, 2016, 05:41:40 PM »
Now that I think about that, if the instructor for whatever reason wanted to bait the Harekaze, it was only natural to aim for non-essential parts (or the water around).
On another note, once the dust settles and the girls are put under court martial, shouldn't they check the instructor's ship's logs and see who was the one to open fire? Unless the girls are dumb enough to oppose the actual military and get sunk.
_

But seriously. Filling a bunch of live warships with nobody but schoolgirls and leaving them in the sea is such a good idea that I don't even.
Also,
Spoiler:
how the smoke screen have worked if there are radars on both ships?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 08:46:33 PM by 'ω' »

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #337 on: April 17, 2016, 09:14:45 PM »
But seriously. Filling a bunch of live warships with nobody but schoolgirls and leaving them in the sea is such a good idea that I don't even.
Also,
Spoiler:
how the smoke screen have worked if there are radars on both ships?
Yeah there were some dumb parts like that, and I almost reeled when
Spoiler:
in response to the one girl saying "oh yeah, we should also turn off our engines as a sign of define surrender", captain-san decides they're going to retaliate with live ammunition because they have no other choice... except for what they literally told her. :V

I mean, I'm watching this for the moe anyway, so...

Delfigamer

« Reply #338 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:26 PM »
Yeah there were some dumb parts like that, and I almost reeled when
Spoiler:
in response to the one girl saying "oh yeah, we should also turn off our engines as a sign of define surrender", captain-san decides they're going to retaliate with live ammunition because they have no other choice... except for what they literally told her. :V
That's actually legit. The crew is dumb confirmed. :derp:

« Reply #339 on: April 18, 2016, 01:37:04 AM »
On another note, once the dust settles and the girls are put under court martial, shouldn't they check the instructor's ship's logs and see who was the one to open fire? Unless the girls are dumb enough to oppose the actual military and get sunk.
Apparently
Spoiler:
the instructor sunk her own ship and was put into a coma to sell the story that they attacked her ship.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #340 on: April 18, 2016, 02:04:59 AM »
Apparently
Spoiler:
the instructor sunk her own ship and was put into a coma to sell the story that they attacked her ship.
Amusingly enough, I've seen theories such as
Spoiler:
aliens
and
Spoiler:
mind control
thrown around because of the instructor's glazed over look.

Delfigamer

« Reply #341 on: April 18, 2016, 02:13:49 AM »
Apparently
Spoiler:
They should still check the black box (or however that thing is called is called on ships) nevertheless. Just in case the girls are actually telling the truth. It's not like Japan is still at war with Russia, isn't it?

Drake

« Reply #342 on: April 18, 2016, 06:42:25 AM »
Silly Delfi, innocence until proven guilt doesn't exist in fictional settings

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #343 on: April 18, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »
/begin rant
forewarning: biased, blind opinion article, proceed with caution. knowledge of discussion topic: haven't seen the show
That show seems like astronomical bs. I have a kneejerk reaction to moe war-related shows like this one because its the worst kind of 'cute girls do stuff' show. It just can't be justified inverse or otherwise. It makes no sense at all. The premises of IS is bollocks, strike witches blows my mind and kancolle (the anime) was also astonishingly bad. At least with strike witches its like oh they're witches or something, and all witches are grrrllllszz, let's just lock them in fucking panties and look all pedo-y to appeal to those dirty impoverished eyes somewhere. I know Japan isn't on the forefront of the social justice war, but that's still shockingly blind, insensitive, unaware, etc etc for the reason, the only reason they could come up with for this show, as Rou pointed out. I mean, god. They somehow manage to be landmine-kaboom-inducingly oblivious/sexist and present filthy moeshit at the same time. Like what the actual nautical dolphin hell?
When it comes to war stuff, I want there to be grim and grime. I want toys broken and wings clipped. I want angels fallen and innocence lost. Why are we suddenly back in like, freaking pre-WWI era war is glorious type nonsensica? As much as the primarily teen cast of the various gundam shows grate on me from time to time, at least they consistently try to play up the angle of war-is-hell theme, probably one of the greatest fruits of the depressed-Anno era of Gundam. What's the point of the war setting? How does it add to the story if it's just there to have the girls be moe on a ship instead of a classroom? Can we finally get a madoka magica of these stupid moe-war shows, a really good deconstruction of this stupid ass genre to finally let it sink forever? One that has some shred of respect for its material to at least get its salutes correct? I'm looking at you, kancolle.
/end rant

e: though to be fair, since apparently kancolle was designed to appeal to WWII era japanese naval ship fans, I suppose the blame for that part lies more on the animation staff than the actual creators, who didn't expect it to be such a big hit. Still, if the source material is actual japanese battleships et al, and the creators were digging from that, why would they make such a lousy, non-deathy, script for such a perfect opportune show? The character designs are already moe, lets show some creativity
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 11:44:02 AM by Mеа »

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #344 on: April 18, 2016, 12:29:07 PM »
Aa someone who doesn't necessarily disagree with you, how do you feel about Girls Und Panzer? Moe anime usually makes me cringe, but I actually really like Girls Und Panzer as a really solidly constructed sports anime. It's not directly about war, but it is war-adjacent and some of the same criticisms could apply, or maybe not.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #345 on: April 18, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
I haven't seen it so I can't tell you. I should warn you that I'm the sort of loser that likes hating things I haven't seen until I actually see it and usually end up not hating it, or as much, or not for the same reasons since I can actually have an informed opinion about it. Perfect example: SAO.
Moe shows about things that shouldn't reasonably be moe shows like war genres I do dislike more than other things though.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #346 on: April 18, 2016, 01:19:46 PM »
Well I'd say give Girls Und Panzer a try, if just because it'll be an interesting experiment. It's short and I can vouch for its entertainment value, for what it's worth.

Basically it's either in that genre ir very near to it, but it's not a war show. It's a sports anime where the sport is tank battles. I'm not incredibly clear on whether the tanks are supposed to be an absurd comedy premise, military fetishism (fairly likely) or a jab at how seriously people take sports, but I can tell you they make the show pretty exciting.

I could see it rubbing some people the wrong way since it's still kind of a glib handling of something that's right next to a topic that's way too serious for the fairly light tone of the show, but maybe that little bit of distance and possible comedy/commentary goes a long way. I think I can safy say it did for me.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #347 on: April 18, 2016, 03:12:23 PM »
My limited exposure to the above and more comes from my courting with a hilarious series of mads involving redubbing these moe shows with the grim dark armored core characters.
But since you recommend it, I'll check it out. (So sorry about the nge thing btw, it bothers my conscience it kind of slipped through my fingers like it did, I kinda left you hanging, it's a really bad habit of mine)

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #348 on: April 18, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »
(So sorry about the nge thing btw, it bothers my conscience it kind of slipped through my fingers like it did, I kinda left you hanging, it's a really bad habit of mine)

Oh yeah, don't worry too much about it. If you happen to get around to picking it back up I probably will as well pending schedule, but I'm not super worried about it. We got through most of it and I think I got my time's worth out of it.

As for letting things slip through your fingers, I relate. I mean, I still haven't even opened .y copy of Rebuild 3.33, much less watched it. Doing things is hard.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #349 on: April 18, 2016, 04:00:30 PM »
Wait so you haven't seen 3.0? (and yeah, it is 3.0 and not 3.33, confusing right? cuz it's a maaa~aassive reset of sorts)
Oh boy.
I'd love to hear your opinion about it once you get around to it. I'd imagine it was either generally not well liked or very divisive, people liked it or not. I fell into the meh camp when I first watched it since I was expecting a rebuild 1 or 2 but not... this. Probably have to rewatch it at some point.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #350 on: April 18, 2016, 04:09:05 PM »
Oh no, I've seen 3.0 quite a few times. I saw a few different times right after it came out and in the theater twice. 3.33 is the extended home release that kept getting delayed. I don't know how extended it is, but if it's anything like the differemce between 2.0 and 2.22 it's probably got a few additional full scenes.

As for what I think of 3.0, I think it's fine. It's all setup for 4.0, which means as a standalone piece of film it falls a bit flat. As setup though, I think the groundwork it lays out is super interesting. It's kind of up to 4.0 to pay everything off which is kind of unfortunate, but I'm relatively confident that will happen. And I think it gave a fair amount of support to my "Rebuild is actually another concurrent ending to the original series" theory.

Mеа

• catnapping
« Reply #351 on: April 18, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
Oh you did, yeah the 'as a standalone it wasn't good' part was the meh part. Kind of hard to blame for not being super good if it's mostly setup, I mean this was like truly a new frontier, no where near anything Eva's traversed so far. I hear it was only originally supposed to be a trilogy but got extended, I wonder if that means there was originally another 'safer' ending or story. One of the complaints I heard people making was that at the end of 2, people were accepting of Shinji's decision (mostly Misato) but antagonized him in 3 which made no sense, a complete 180. Reintroducing angst again, which leads to Shinji jumping at the first hope at 'redeeming' his actions, which turned out to cause the thing Wille was formed to prevent in the first place, good going.

Anyway, since I'm posting I guess I might as well mention that I started Nekota no koto ga kininatte shouganai. Which, unusually for me, is a shoujo romance manga, like shoujo shoujo. And, I note with amusement, another cat related manga. It follows pretty much your general shoujo manga, but with 6th graders, in some love thing except that the main heroine sees the main character's head as a giant cat's head. It makes the whole thing surreal and more enjoyable than one would initially expect. If it weren't for that it would so so fall short, it doesn't deviate from any preconceived conventions, the main heroine is a mary sue, random drama inducing girl also included (though thankfully, within my tolerance levels, not to mention she shipped off on another boat quite early). Also it's about children, so the whole thing is written with a flair of childlike ignorance and, I guess, giddiness that makes all the bad drama nature of shoujo romance stuff softer and less sharp. Also she's totally oblivious but it actually works because she's a kid and not a blockheaded shoujo heroine. Or even worse, those lovesick-with-love heroine types. Like a gaussian blur or something. Not something I'd recommend, but w/e, might as well contribute to the thread.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #352 on: April 18, 2016, 06:30:34 PM »
Incidentally since it was mentioned recently in a other thread, I picked up Junji Ito's Cat Diary for like nothing last night thanks to a gift card I forgot I had. Haven't read it yet, but it's on top of my reading list.

Also finished the first Chi's Sweet Home omnibus last night. I liked the second half more than tbe first half, since there's more conflict than just "cute cat is cute". Will probably read the second omnibus I guess.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #353 on: April 19, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »
/begin rant
forewarning: biased, blind opinion article, proceed with caution. knowledge of discussion topic: haven't seen the show
That show seems like astronomical bs. I have a kneejerk reaction to moe war-related shows like this one because its the worst kind of 'cute girls do stuff' show. It just can't be justified inverse or otherwise. It makes no sense at all. The premises of IS is bollocks, strike witches blows my mind and kancolle (the anime) was also astonishingly bad. At least with strike witches its like oh they're witches or something, and all witches are grrrllllszz, let's just lock them in fucking panties and look all pedo-y to appeal to those dirty impoverished eyes somewhere. I know Japan isn't on the forefront of the social justice war, but that's still shockingly blind, insensitive, unaware, etc etc for the reason, the only reason they could come up with for this show, as Rou pointed out. I mean, god. They somehow manage to be landmine-kaboom-inducingly oblivious/sexist and present filthy moeshit at the same time. Like what the actual nautical dolphin hell?
When it comes to war stuff, I want there to be grim and grime. I want toys broken and wings clipped. I want angels fallen and innocence lost. Why are we suddenly back in like, freaking pre-WWI era war is glorious type nonsensica? As much as the primarily teen cast of the various gundam shows grate on me from time to time, at least they consistently try to play up the angle of war-is-hell theme, probably one of the greatest fruits of the depressed-Anno era of Gundam. What's the point of the war setting? How does it add to the story if it's just there to have the girls be moe on a ship instead of a classroom? Can we finally get a madoka magica of these stupid moe-war shows, a really good deconstruction of this stupid ass genre to finally let it sink forever? One that has some shred of respect for its material to at least get its salutes correct? I'm looking at you, kancolle.
/end rant

e: though to be fair, since apparently kancolle was designed to appeal to WWII era japanese naval ship fans, I suppose the blame for that part lies more on the animation staff than the actual creators, who didn't expect it to be such a big hit. Still, if the source material is actual japanese battleships et al, and the creators were digging from that, why would they make such a lousy, non-deathy, script for such a perfect opportune show? The character designs are already moe, lets show some creativity

I can't really speak for the rest, but the Kancolle anime definitely felt like it was just plain confused. I mean, you have one episode where a known character gets killed with depressing moments, but then the next is funny shenanigans with the comic relief characters. Heavy mental whiplash. And that's not even counting the asspull ending and the character premise that didn't even make much sense in-context. Many of the game's fans dislike it apart from eye candy.

Really have to delve into fanworks for decent stuff. I'm following Kant'o-celle Quest for something that turns up the realism a notch while preserving the Kancolle setting. Then again it's a 4chan quest, so YMMV. At least there's someone transcribing it on Spacebattles.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #354 on: April 19, 2016, 07:47:47 PM »
Really have to delve into fanworks for decent stuff. I'm following Kant'o-celle Quest for something that turns up the realism a notch while preserving the Kancolle setting. Then again it's a 4chan quest, so YMMV. At least there's someone transcribing it on Spacebattles.
Well damn. Never thought I'd see someone on here post about Kant-o-celle quest.

qMyon

• Chill - just chill
  • Keepin' it vanilla smooth
« Reply #355 on: April 20, 2016, 04:01:12 AM »
More on-topic, I'm just getting my comedy fix with Sakamoto (absurd humor, think Daily Lives of High School Boys) and Space Patrol Luluco (Slightly more cutesy absurd humor) this season. For anything more story-based, I prefer to wait and binge-watch.

Well damn. Never thought I'd see someone on here post about Kant-o-celle quest.

Oh? Why is that?  :3

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
« Reply #356 on: April 20, 2016, 04:23:39 AM »
Oh? Why is that?  :3
Just never thought any of the quests on 4chan would ever show up in conversation, haha. It's always interesting and hilarious to read Deme's stuff though.

So anyway, I started reading Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen and it's been awhile since I've laughed this hard to a manga. The passive-aggressiveness of everything just makes it better.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #357 on: April 20, 2016, 04:49:54 AM »
I just sat down and read Junji Ito's Cat Diary. I thought it was great. Ito has a real problem with losing the thread of his narratives, which is why I tend to strongly prefer his short manga to anything continuous. His autobiographical stuff doesn't have that problem at all though. I don't know if that's due to tight editing or just the fact that a realistic scenario doesn't let him drift off into ridiculous scenarios after a while, but I would love to read more autobiographical manga from him.

Delfigamer

« Reply #358 on: April 26, 2016, 02:58:53 PM »
I must be going insane. For me, the entire 4th episode of Re: Zero whatever had "TOUHOU" written on top with big red letters.
...And now I've started to find similarities in the earlier episodes. I might require assistance!

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #359 on: April 26, 2016, 03:37:33 PM »
I must be going insane. For me, the entire 4th episode of Re: Zero whatever had "TOUHOU" written on top with big red letters.
...And now I've started to find similarities in the earlier episodes. I might require assistance!
What? Oh... Patchouli and the SDM. Yeah, I noticed that, but I assumed it was an extended librarian trope. I don't know my tropes well enough.