Author Topic: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?  (Read 218895 times)

MatsuriSakuragi

Re: What anime(s) and/or manga(s) are you watching/reading right now?
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2014, 08:06:53 AM »
I've picked up Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun and Kyoukai no Kanata. Enjoying both more than I had expected to.

Sahgren

« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2014, 02:20:44 AM »
I just finished Ghost Hunt, and I'm left oddly confused on whether I actually liked it or not. It's one of the rare series that I've felt compelled to watch from beginning to end, but I can't really think of a reason as to why I did.

Edit: Thinking about it, it's probably that the series doesn't actually answer a number of the questions that it raises. It looks like I'd have to find the manga or light novel for some parts of it to make sense.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 03:00:18 AM by Sahgren »

FlamingRok

• Rena is pleased with your efforts.
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »
I've always only watched one anime at a time, so that I either can't run away from the one I'm watching, or so that I can enjoy it. SAO? The first arc, or the first half of season one, was stupid, but entertaining. As you venture onward though, the former applies more, and the latter applies less. ALO was just straight out uncomfortable to watch near the end.

So how was transitioning to SAO II? There were like one or two okay episodes in there, but the rest was absolutely terrible. The GGO arc was the most disappointing to me, as I recall the light novel version was actually alright to read. After GGO, they decide to throw a recap episode at us, which is also terrible to trek through. I was just about drained of motivation to continue watching this trainwreck. No longer was it entertaining. It was only incredibly stupid. The Caliber arc had begun, and already it seemed to be better than the previous arc. We have Kirito just being carefree and an asshole, we have those other girls that are somewhat bland, but were okay to watch this time around, and best of all, we had Klein back. Second episode had finally brought back the entertaining part. With scenes like this...

...you can't really go wrong. The show is still dumb by all means, yes. But it's now actually fun to watch. The third episode continued this (Klein never gets anything nice though  :( ), but my depression hit me then: this was the end of the Calibur arc. No more silly fun events, or at least probably no more. I am probably going to be plunging into something that just will continue to disappoint.

Oh, and to all of the Asuna fans that are depressed about her being a background character, good news! You've got an entire arc with her starting next week! I really hope this continues to be entertainingly stupid, because this has mostly been a mudslide down, with a few grace points. Please show, at least try to be amusing.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:46 PM »
Apart from the stuff I've been watching this season, I've also been slogging my way through Soukyuu no Fafner...

Why won't it end?  I'll admit that it's gotten less annoying as I near the end of the series, but at this point I just wanna marathon the rest and get to watching The Big O.  University's not letting me though. ;-;

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2014, 03:44:59 PM »
Holy shit after all these years Naruto has ended :o

Also this weeks One Piece has the I replaced with Naruto :V
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 03:54:40 PM by Suikama »

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #155 on: November 10, 2014, 09:23:41 PM »
It took me this long to get on Madoka, but I'm glad I finally watched it.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #156 on: November 10, 2014, 10:14:25 PM »
It took me this long to watch Eva & End of, but... yes. :V  That was certainly impressive.

The soundtrack was pretty great. One of the tracks basically features Satori's theme in it. Or I guess that would be the other way around.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:13 PM »
It took me this long to watch Eva & End of, but... yes. :V  That was certainly impressive.

The soundtrack was pretty great. One of the tracks basically features Satori's theme in it. Or I guess that would be the other way around.

Holy shit, I never noticed that. It totally does. :o
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2014, 05:45:56 AM »
Holy shit, I never noticed that. It totally does. :o

I only noticed due to a tumblr touhou series that has quick tips and stuff, like the Eva X Satori music and a few other stuff too!

Well started to watch the new sailor moon, at first wasn't sure going into it, I did watch the old one when I was a child but god I really like this new one, it feels very quick and to the point in each episode, and that new intro is just awesome! Glad I took a look.

Anime's that I need to watch is Madoka (I heard that it gets dark...), ... well there are a few that I can't think of right now but I really need to give berserk a try!

Also I was recommended Gantz... should I give it a try? I read the quick paragraph on wikipedia and says gore and sexual content, so I'm kinda not sure what I'm getting into. I can handle some gore and for sexual content... most I've gone far into in reading is Monster Musume (which is funny and light hearted and despite the nudity, if you can get past that it's a heart warming and great read, also dat touhou reference!)

SAO

I'm interested in the Asuna part, I felt she really been shafted just to give the new girls the bigger spotlight. I'll say that I disagree about the first part of SAO, I can see why people don't like it but when I first went into it I got out of it a serious story that dealt with topics in a mature way and the growth of a character hunted by the deaths of innocents. But after the first part ended it turned into another fan service harem anime and that's where I lost my interest. ALO is as you say uncomfortable and I can't stand the fact that some characters roles were destroyed and made into a pathetic mess, IE: Asuna. After each new part Kirito gets a new girl that into him and I can't seem to get away from these kind of shows, they always end up as harems even when the first parts don't give that kinda of hints. GGO I have mixes feelings about, I like how it became serious again with a actual dangerous plot (but I'm still only halfway with GGO so I don't know if I should even be talking about this.), but I did like how they tried to bring back issues that were in SAO... but they also shoehorned in a plot device that wasn't in the first part of the show just to give Kirito a common place with the new heroine, not sure if I like it but I mostly get a negative feel from it so IDK. Still that your opinion on it and I mostly agree with them, but we all view different animes in a different light.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2014, 03:23:55 AM »

Also I was recommended Gantz... should I give it a try? I read the quick paragraph on wikipedia and says gore and sexual content, so I'm kinda not sure what I'm getting into. I can handle some gore and for sexual content... most I've gone far into in reading is Monster Musume (which is funny and light hearted and despite the nudity, if you can get past that it's a heart warming and great read, also dat touhou reference!)

Gantz has gore EVERYWHERE and all the time, I assure you. Heck, chapter 1 has people run over by a train.
As for nudity, it isn't that prevalent until the later arcs but there are lots of boobs. Also coitus.
Once you get past that, it is definitely an amazing read.
Btw, avoid the anime. Manga is miles better.

If you need a closer look, skim the reviews or something
http://myanimelist.net/manga/564/Gantz/reviews

Normal 1ccs - EOSD, PCB, SA
Extra 1ccs - PCB

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2014, 03:28:22 AM »
Gantz has gore EVERYWHERE and all the time, I assure you. Heck, chapter 1 has people run over by a train.
As for nudity, it isn't that prevalent until the later arcs but there are lots of boobs. Also coitus.
Once you get past that, it is definitely an amazing read.
Btw, avoid the anime. Manga is miles better.

If you need a closer look, skim the reviews or something
http://myanimelist.net/manga/564/Gantz/reviews

Thank you very much, that was gonna be my next question. I'll definitely check out the manga.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

KrackoCloud

• I don't mean to be greedy...
  • ... but white rice is my favorite food.
« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2014, 05:52:30 AM »
I've been watching Yuki Yuna. This show ruins me...

There's so many dark theories circulating right now, and after I found this very plausible theory, my heart just sank some three feet deeper.
I'm so worried about the future.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2014, 06:01:53 AM »
I don't watch/read anime/manga as the average person who likes the genre, but every now and then I read a couple chapters of this manga called Futari Ecchi. Despite a mostly-cardboard cast and at least one outdated piece of info regarding condoms, I find it entertaining enough to read.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #163 on: November 27, 2014, 08:05:02 AM »
Just picked up the manga of Zettai Karen Children. To be honest, it was actually the art style, surprisingly enough, that made me interested in it at first. It wasn't until the end of the first or second chapter that I got the 'woah, this is going to be really good' vibes. After which I promptly caught up with near fully, spending a good 3 or so entire days to do so. It's really good, but my only complaint is that I feel like the primary focus shifted a little to resolve one of the major plots, which I'm hoping it shifts back to the initial focus. It's big spoilers so I can't really say it out loud here, but if you've read it, I think you might know what I'm talking about, the Phantom Daughter arc.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

« Reply #164 on: November 28, 2014, 08:43:17 PM »
watched ME!ME!ME!

that certainly was something :V

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #165 on: November 28, 2014, 11:35:46 PM »
People have said it a bunch of times, me included, but Parasyte is real good this season. The tonal balance is crazy, it's really fun to watch.

Haven't been reading a ton of manga (although I'm almost caught up on Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service and I started Railgun), but I have been reading a truckload of American comics. Strangers In Paradise is great but it's like ten million volumes long, John Ostrander's run on The Spectre is full of interesting ideas that never quite pan out, Scott McCloud's Zot! is hard to find but very underrated and is one of the first American books to be heavily manga-inspired, and catching up on Hellboy is fantastic (Hellboy In Hell may be the best the book has ever been, which is nuts).

« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2014, 12:39:10 AM »
Slowly watching 'Texhnolyze', 'Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei', 'Puella Magi Madoka Magica' and 'Durarara'.
Rewatching: 'Ghost in the Shell', 'C for Control' and 'Steins;Gate' (for what might be the fifth time).

Been reading Abara. Planning on reading Blame eventually.

Mеа

• catnapping
  • three dots connect to rectangles
« Reply #167 on: December 12, 2014, 10:54:26 PM »
I did it.
It finally happened.
I just finished Naruto.
After like a freaking decade of following it.
Naked expression; purple raspberry flavour

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #168 on: December 21, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
I've said before that Junji Ito (the Uzumaki/Enigma Of Amigara Fault guy) writes much better short stories than long fiction. His longer stories always end up feeling like a disjointed mess of small ideas loosely tied together by a shaky premise, and that's why I've never liked him as much as I wish I did. Although until recently I didn't realize just how many short stories he had actually written. He has tons of them, and over the last couple of weeks I've been doing my best to hunt them all down. They're mostly great. There are two basic kinds, the "By-the-numbers, Twilight Zone/EC Comics-esque ghost story" and the "Excuse to draw something really really gross" story. And he's great at both of them. There are occasional misfires, but reading those is a lot less frustrating than watching one of his continuing manga slowly go off the rails. Highly recommended if you like weird creepy ironic spooky stories, weird fiction, or monstrously disgusting drawings.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #169 on: December 21, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »
Finished Wixoss, jumped straight into Yuuki Yuna.
Why do I do this to myself?

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2014, 04:45:47 PM »
Psycho Pass Season 2 has so far more of everything season 1 has to offer, character development for Akane is really well made. Background as she is in the recent episodes she has been an amazing growth stimulation since season 1, a hardboiled detective now, she is true blue the kinda thing I wanna see anime girls do more.

Strength to strength her character has diminished a bit, but the fact she is so real makes it a very enjoyable experience.

Her fears really hone the show to its extent.
That said, strong characters in the season probably all awards goes to Yuuki from SAO.

Seriously I never cried so hard since AIR.
Best writing ever for a character. Asuna has regain all her importance. ALL OF IT.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #171 on: December 23, 2014, 03:33:58 AM »
Finally caught up on Fate/Stay Night. I didn't really enjoy the first half or so of this season, for many of the same reasons I didn't like Fate/Zero as much as I really, sincerely wish I did. It introduces too many characters, too many of them don't actually matter than much, and it spends too much time talking about rules that it either doesn't care about or doesn't consistently follow. But the second half of the season has been great. Unlike in Fate/Zero once the tertiary characters are introduced they're not constantly referred back to, so the show actually has time to focus on the primary characters. It's pretty good and I want to see more of it. And I know people historically don't like Shirou, so I think it's a testament to the strength of this adaptation that he seems very likable this time. I don't know what he did to piss people off in the visual novel or the other anime, but I like him just fine.

Psycho Pass Season 2 has so far more of everything season 1 has to offer, character development for Akane is really well made. Background as she is in the recent episodes she has been an amazing growth stimulation since season 1, a hardboiled detective now, she is true blue the kinda thing I wanna see anime girls do more.

Strength to strength her character has diminished a bit, but the fact she is so real makes it a very enjoyable experience.

Her fears really hone the show to its extent.
That said, strong characters in the season probably all awards goes to Yuuki from SAO.

Seriously I never cried so hard since AIR.
Best writing ever for a character. Asuna has regain all her importance. ALL OF IT.

Wait, really? Someone likes Psycho Pass Season 2? I'm not trying to be a dick, but are you serious? I don't know of one person who has started watching it and didn't quit in disgust five or six episodes in. I hate Psycho Pass 2, and I feel like it hates me and the original Psycho Pass. Interesting.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #172 on: December 23, 2014, 06:17:07 AM »
And I know people historically don't like Shirou, so I think it's a testament to the strength of this adaptation that he seems very likable this time. I don't know what he did to piss people off in the visual novel or the other anime, but I like him just fine.

I think most of the people that disliked Shirou were the ones who only watched the Deen FSN anime. And that's understandable, Shirou was terrible in Deen's version. Most people that I've seen who have actually read the VN really like Shirou as a protagonist. Personally I think Shirou is great.

« Reply #173 on: December 23, 2014, 07:22:38 AM »
I hated him in the fate route, ubw and heavens feel he was okay.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #174 on: December 27, 2014, 02:03:04 PM »
Well, opinions man. The way I see it, Psycho Pass has this whole I am not sure what I wanna do Akane, but Psycho Pass season 2, she was the kind of detective drama five -o I wanna see in action.
Plus, it covers up many loose ends, and I think it is well made.
Not too sure if it will 2 cours or single tho.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2015, 04:03:31 AM »
It took me quite a while, but I eventually slogged through the first season of Index. Kind of hated it. It was boring, it spent way too much time setting up complicated rules for its magic system that it then failed to fully follow, and it didn't really pay off on its premise. There were some cool scenes and Touma's arc is interesting if slow, but I think the whole thing could've been shaved down to ten episodes easily and come away much stronger for it.

I'm five episodes into the second season now though, and it's great. Much more exciting, much more consistent, better animation, and the Railgun cast is in it way more. Plus there aren't a ton of other places to see nuns getting the crap kicked out of them like that. It's still too much "magic guys versus other magic guys" for a show that I want to be about science versus magic, but the underpinnings of that idea are there, and when they come through they work well. It's pretty good so far, too bad it seems necessary to watch the first season to fully enjoy it.

« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2015, 06:16:57 AM »
I am really behind on my animus. Right now I'm halfway through Kill la Kill and following Yurikuma Arashi, and hopping in and out of other series willy nilly. Also, rewatched Baccano! for the umpteenth time. I love that show.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2015, 01:34:53 AM »
I was at the library yesterday and noticed they had MPD Psycho, so given my enjoyment of Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service I decided to give it a try. They didn't have the second volume so I just checked out the first, and I finished it earlier. It's every bit as unpleasant as it has a reputation for being, to the point where I almost don't want to continue reading it. It has little or none of KCDS's good nature or humor so far to counterbalance the extreme body horror.

I'm going to give Eiji Otsuka some credit given that it's one of his earlier works and assume that it's going somewhere other than just unadulterated grossness and read the next few. The premise is trite as hell now (and may have been at the time-was multiple personality disorder already the worst plot device ever by 1997?) but the plot is reasonably compelling and, being a Dark Horse translation, the book is exceedingly well presented. So there's that.

« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2015, 03:57:42 AM »
Stumbled across something called "Gakkou Gurashi". It's a cute manga about a trio of girls and their advisor teacher doing things around their school. Still ongoing, but waiting to see what happens next. Lot of girls get locked to things by handcuffs, though...

Sahgren

« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2015, 06:24:07 AM »
For some reason I'm on a manhwa kick, so I just picked up Hero Waltz. It manages to stay compelling enough to read despite nothing about it being particularly original.

Finished watching Akame ga Kill. Given that the entire draw of the show is that the strongest plot armor around seems to be made of wet tissue paper, I'm kinda wondering why people were so upset at the ending.

Stumbled across something called "Gakkou Gurashi". It's a cute manga about a trio of girls and their advisor teacher doing things around their school. Still ongoing, but waiting to see what happens next. Lot of girls get locked to things by handcuffs, though...

Okay, that completely baited me in. Interesting opening to say the least.