Author Topic: Touhou religion.  (Read 7743 times)

Der_Bright_Poster

Touhou religion.
« on: October 09, 2015, 02:44:42 AM »
If you were in Gensokyo which of the religions would you join and be member of? Hakari and Moriya Shintoism are counted as different.

I would join Buddhists, and pray to Youkai Jesus that I'm not consumed by any of her other followers.

Re: Touhou religion.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:04:29 AM »
Don't you know? MoTK is populated only by Buddhists. This topic is kind of irrelevant since we'd all be followers of Ms. Hijiri.

Spoiler:
I'm actually an Iesuit. They're keeping me hostage! Help!
My name is Tres. It sounds like "Tray". Tressert is "Tray-zurt"; like Tres dessert.
I've cleared every touhou game on Lunatic, and beaten every extra except SoEW.
NMNB: MoF Hard, SA Extra, UFO Extra

LawfulInsane

• Lurker and poster
  • PLATES
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:10:45 AM »
Possibly the Taoists, if only because it's common where I am.

Alternatively, Hakurei Shinto.
I have the tendency to call everything from my side of the world "Eastern" (with the characters in "Touhou", I'm Chinese).

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:47:27 AM »
I'll be like Marisa, use religion when it helps advance my goals but never actually follow one.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
I'll be like Marisa, use religion when it helps advance my goals but never actually follow one.

I have no time for religious politics! Can any of them really be trusted? The way of the infidel, like miss Marisa, is the best way!

Abraham Lincoln

• Mendelssohn for President 2016
  • Make Bach Great Again!
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 05:27:41 AM »
Shinmyoumaru-ist, does that count?

Der_Bright_Poster

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 05:41:19 AM »
Shinmyoumaru-ist, does that count?
Nah, she's just an inchling with a hammer that can grant wishes, I'd be better for you to worship the hammer.

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:56:39 PM »
HAIL YUKARI!

That is all I can think of to say...

Der_Bright_Poster

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:52:34 PM »
HAIL YUKARI!

That is all I can think of to say...

May your Yukari-sama be a merciful deity that won't demand the sacrifice of one human every other week.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 03:32:55 AM »
I think we have a yearly poll to determine where maidens swing as far as Gensokyo religions. Last year the Marisa Pagan faction won, although a certain Charisma is guilty of manipulating the results if I recall....
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:37:56 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 07:55:25 PM »
I think we have a yearly poll to determine where maidens swing as far as Gensokyo religions. Last year the Marisa Pagan faction won, although a certain Charisma is guilty of manipulating the results if I recall....
What options would such a poll include for this year?

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 12:58:59 AM »
Do we have all the information we possess now before choosing? Because if so, we already know what happens to humans after they die, so whichever one gets you into Shikieiki's good books sounds like the most rational choice.

(Also according to wikipedia Buddhist philosophy frowns on intellectual debate for its own sake, so that's right out)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »
What options would such a poll include for this year?
Oh, did I say last year? I meant last time we had the topic, which was this year.

Anyways the options are usually between Hakurei Shinto, Moriya Shinto, Bhuddism, Taoism, and Pagans (Irreligious). As I said before (though the poll results were completely wiped over because mod shenanigans), the last winner was Pagans, the year before it was Taoists (iirc).
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:53:28 AM by NekoNekoRex »
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Leon゠Helsing

• 0 - The Fool
  • Pave your own path
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 04:32:43 PM »
Think I'll hang in the Scarlets' Heretic Mansion, if you guys don't mind. :V

Hannibal_Kills

• To Hell and Beyond
  • I don't give a damn about rules...
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 05:07:11 PM »
I'll stick to the Pagans until I'm really serious with my true answer. No other...

Though I wondered what would happen if somebody built a mosque somewhere in the land of Gensokyo...

A Hellcat went down the Hell's Highway after the Battle for Caen, "Byou". - Hannibal

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
I'm ready for some Muslim 2hus. Especially of the medieval, Central Asian Sufist variety.

Speaking for myself, I would go with Shinto, either faction. It's very, very similar to Wicca, so it'd be an easy fit.

Speaking of which, "pagan" does not mean irreligious. I think "irreligious" is fine, or "infidel", for laughs.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

danyun

• Accomplished Lurker
  • Hey
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »
Hakurei Shinto because its shrine is run by best miko.
I like rain. Do you like rain?

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 06:27:00 PM »
You know, I did just say "HAIL YUKARI!" but at the same time...  I wonder what her personal belief system is.  Would be interesting to learn.

But still even then...  HAIL YUKARI!

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 06:40:01 AM »
Yukari places her belief unquestioningly in the great Axioms, naturally.

Alternatively...

Marron

• Ordinary crow
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2015, 12:54:53 PM »
I don't know. I'm not found of religion at all. I can't say " I would believe only in what I see" since you have gods here and there but that's no the point. I think I would believe in "something" that makes Gensokyo a balanced land.(You can think of Yukari, but I think she's not someone whou would or have to be revered, it's not her role)
Reimu is essential in Gensokyo because of many reasons but one of them is that the hakurei god gives her tremendous power. And it's because of his power that Reimu have resolved many incidents and restored some temporary peace. I guess it would concern my interest to believe in the hakurei god.

But I don't know. I don't like the idea of following something or someone just because he's more strong than me.

Suspicious person

• Just a humble wanderer
  • How suspicious~
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2015, 02:08:22 PM »
But I don't know. I don't like the idea of following something or someone just because he's more strong than me.
Then it is simple : create a religion, be the leader !

If some gradient haired lady can be the head of an alternative buddhism she made herself, I can't see why some stranger won't be able to create a new religion for himself !

Maybe I'd pick Shintoism : not only would the followers of the Deity I enshrine get certains blessings in their daily lives, but I'll also profit from their donations or the various items they'll buy from me. It's a win - win situation, so long as I don't screw up, Reimu style  :V

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »
You know, I did just say "HAIL YUKARI!" but at the same time...  I wonder what her personal belief system is.  Would be interesting to learn.

But still even then...  HAIL YUKARI!

I don't think Yukari would want to be worshiped, the impression i get from her canonical portray is that she intentionally annoys people so that she can have a reputation as a very Youkai like Youkai.
My old avatars: Old ass turtle, Unzan - Second and Current Avatar by the talented Aoshi-shi