Author Topic: Inside a Star-filled Sky, a recursive shooter.  (Read 2634 times)

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
Inside a Star-filled Sky, a recursive shooter.
« on: February 19, 2011, 01:03:30 PM »
http://insideastarfilledsky.net/

An unsual little top-down shooter by Jason Rohrer, the creator of Sleep is Death and Passage.

What is it about?
http://insideastarfilledsky.net/bulletPoints.php
-Your screen will be black with bullets.

-Enter things.

-Procedurally generated everything. Almost everything.

-100% boss-free.

-This game would not exist without the inspiration that I drew from games like Spelunky, Shoot First, Disgaea, Borderlands, Everyday Shooter, Psychonauts, Soul Reaver, and Prey.

-"Larger than the known universe" is not an exaggeration. You will reach the relative scale of the known universe after level 14.

-165,000 basic weapon combinations is a lot.

-"Infinite" is kind of a misnomer, because 32-bit integers run out eventually. You will reach the upper kill screen (one step up from level 2,147,483,647) after about 2043 years of continuous play. Though with diligence, you can reach the lower kill screen in just 68 years.

-53 people tested this game, and they played it an average of 10.89 times each.

-This game is a tactical-situation generating machine.

-That little guy at the top of the page is cute, but I'll never see him again.

Whenever you reach the exit of a level, the level becomes your new character and that character will have the power-ups you picked up during the level.

You as well as every enemy and every power-up is also a level. You can go inside enemies and powerups to play the level inside them.
When you enter an enemy you can change the power-ups they have by picking up new ones while you are inside them, which is useful for weakening enemies that may be to difficult.
When you enter a power-up what power-ups you pick up while inside will determine what power-up it becomes, which is useful for trying to get a specific power-up.

Keep in mind that levels inside an enemy or power-up usually have a difficulty increase.

If you die, you are sent inside yourself. It is possible to be inside several instances of yourself, enemies, or power-ups.

I once came across an enemy that was shooting so many bullets that were splitting into more bullets that I couldn't get past it and to the exit. I went inside the enemy to change his power-ups so its shots wouldn't be so powerful. Inside the enemy I ran into several enemies filling the area around them with numerous but short ranged bullets, so I went inside a power-up in an attempt to turn it into a range power-up to increase the range of my shot enough to shoot them while staying out of reach. I ended up getting killed twice over inside the power-up, so I was inside myself inside myself inside a power-up inside an enemy. It took me several tries to fight my way back up through the layers out of the power-up and back outside the enemy so I could get around to finally killing it and reaching the exit.  :D

« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 01:12:28 PM by Professor Paul1290 »
I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

You can't have a good evil scheme without a giant robot!

KomeijiKoishi

Re: Inside a Star-filled Sky, a recursive shooter.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
I wish that there was something like a demo in this...

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:35:35 PM »
Well, I changed my mind, paid and...

I may sound like a pussy, but I can't remember anymore on which floor I originally was.

Also, it's very difficult.

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 07:45:20 AM »
It seems that every time you go up a level your power-ups are re-arranged left to right from weakest to strongest and the two weakest will be weakened by one. If you happen to find a combination you like a lot you should probably seek out replacements as you go up through the levels. If you want to get different power-ups then you might consider going inside yourself (down a level) intentionally to pick up a different set of power-ups (if you die you lose a power-up and it's replaced by health).

I like having range, bounce and rapid fire power-ups so I can shoot further and hit things around corners, which is nice for the narrow corridors. Out in the larger rooms with more enemies I find it sometimes helps to replace the bounce with heat-seeking.

If you get lost then watch for a path that occasionally flashes on the floor, it will lead you to the nearest exit.

I'll come up with an evil scheme later. First, it's time to build a giant robot!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 08:20:45 AM »
Can you put some gameplay footage on youtube? This sounds interesting.

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 09:24:10 AM »
Can you put some gameplay footage on youtube? This sounds interesting.

Might put something up after getting a bit more familiar with the game.

Paul Debrion

• Highroller
  • Back again for more!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 11:08:05 AM »
http://livestre.am/CSzr

Someone from a Teamspeak server I frequent put the game on Livestream while we were playing it.

The person actually playing the game in the video is really quiet for some reason.
There's someone else playing the game in the background who is much louder and shouts "NO! OW! DAMMIT!" near the beginning of the video. That's actually me, in case you were curious about what I sound like.  ::)

He spends a bit of time wandering around lost at the beginning. It starts to pick up after about ten minutes in.

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 11:32:49 AM »
This is one of the most amazing games I have ever played.

It's beautiful.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

KomeijiKoishi

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 04:10:39 PM »
This isn't a mere game.

It's an experience.