Author Topic: Do you Invert your Y-Axis?  (Read 2611 times)

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
Do you Invert your Y-Axis?
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:22:42 AM »
So a certian DDC boss inspired me to make this thread (bonus gluten-free cookie if you guess right). These are a few fluff few question that I like to ask different genres of gamer's. Do you invert your Y-Axis in games where it is appropriate? I'm not talking about Touhou obviously that would be a nightmare. More like FPS, MMOs, Flight Sims ect...

So: TL;DR
1) Do you play with an inverted or normal Y-Axis and a brief description of why this makes sense to you?
2) What is your dominant hand(s)?
3) Do you know of any your relatives preferences, if so what is their preference and how are they related to you?
4) What is your gender?

1) I play with an inverted Y-Axis. My simple explanation is a demonstration. Grab some of the hair on the back of your head and use only your hand to move your head. You'll find you must push forward to look down and vice versa. Now for the X-Axis I couldn't imagine it inverted so that's kind of unusual.
2) I am right handed but my left hand dexterity is above average I feel.
3) My father and younger sister both play Inverted Y, my dad is a private pilot so that's no surprise. My cousin (father side) plays with a normal Y.
4) Male

I'd appreciate you responses in advance, it shouldn't take you too long, I'm quite curious as to the results. As we get responses I'll keep updating to OP with results. Thanks!

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
Re: Do you Invert your Y-Axis?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 06:43:38 AM »
1. I always played inverted Y-Axis. Why? I don't really know, I guess most games I've played had it on default(esp. RPGs), and then I finally went to change every other game since then.
2. Ambidextrous. I was taught to use my left hand during my kiddie years through mostly writing, even though I was used to my right hand.
3. I have never bothered even asking them that. So I don't know, but for aircraft piloting, obviously it's inverted, and since I'm pretty sure my grandfather played video games(I'm also sure he still does now), he's also inverted Y.
4. Male

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:59 AM »
1) Depends on game style. FPS normal, flight stuff inverted. Can't think of many game genres that inverting the axis is an option. I guess most of them I play with normal axis.
2) Right, but I control the movement with the left, even with a keyboard (even in Touhou). Seems more natural, maybe because I played video games since I was little and gamepads have the directionals on the left. Also because I can mash buttons faster and harder with the right hand, while the left one only needs to do smooth movements.
3) No idea
4) Male

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
1. I play normal axis but in flight I always play inverted. It's been that way ever since I played one of those Star Wars games.
2. Ambidextrous. I played games where movement was in the left and in the right, so I guess I kind of gotten used to it.
3. My brother always wanted his movement on his left hand and whenever we play Street Fighter on a keyboard he'd cross his hands because he says that his left is a lot better at sequencing inputs. I do that in other fighting games too, like player 2 Melty Blood.
4. I am male.

Thanks to GreenVirus for the Siggy.
My TF2 Backpack of DOOM

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
1) Inverted. I do this because all the games I play where this is relevant are on either the N64 or GCN, and I imagine the gun (FPS)/plane (flight sim) to be a forward extension of the control stick with the balancing point at the controller itself. Since my end is going in one direction (up/down), the other end, the gun/plane, must go in the opposite direction (down/up).
2) Right
3) No clue. Only one of my relatives plays video games on a regular basis and I've never watched him play an FPS.
<- 4) Fabulous.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 02:36:40 PM »
1. I'm okay with both, so I just use the first one the game presents me with. :V
2. Right.
3. My younger bro prefers Inverted. Dunno about anyone else.
4. Female.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 02:38:23 PM by Wriggle »

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
1: i play inverted... Sometimes! Dont ask me why lol. Injut feels right with some games, and not others. Basically, i prefer inverted with any flight game, or any 3rd person melee action game, but if you shoot more than melee, i do not like inverted. For example, 3rd person ninja gaiden/dmc, etc, i prefer inverted. But 3rd person world of tanks or something, not inverted.
2: right
3: dunno, my family doesnt game much
4; male

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 09:16:03 PM »
1) If it's Metroid Prime games, inverted. If not, standard. Because for whatever reason it just feels "right" to play inverted Metroid Prime. All my other FPS are either on PC (I can't stand inverted mouse) or is Halo, where inverted feels "wrong".
2) I'm mostly right-handed, but I've been trying to use my left hand for most things recently. At this point I could probably use both hands near equally but the right hand still wins.
3) I don't know if they prefer inverted or standard, I never really had a reason to ask.
4) Male.

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 02:58:07 AM »
1) I only play with an inverted Y-Axis when flying a plane is involved; it helps me feel like I'm actually piloting one.
2) Right
3) I've never really bothered asking what their preference is.
4) Male

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:04:44 AM »
2) Right, but I control the movement with the left, even with a keyboard (even in Touhou). Seems more natural, maybe because I played video games since I was little and gamepads have the directionals on the left. Also because I can mash buttons faster and harder with the right hand, while the left one only needs to do smooth movements.

That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense the way you explain it. Sounds like you might have been a platformer/fighting game player, which makes that make even more sense.

3. My brother always wanted his movement on his left hand and whenever we play Street Fighter on a keyboard he'd cross his hands because he says that his left is a lot better at sequencing inputs. I do that in other fighting games too, like player 2 Melty Blood.
Wow two in a row 1 right hand 1 Ambidextrous, interesting.
I imagine the gun (FPS)/plane (flight sim) to be a forward extension of the control stick with the balancing point at the controller itself. Since my end is going in one direction (up/down), the other end, the gun/plane, must go in the opposite direction (down/up).
<- 4) Fabulous. :*
Ok that is my new explanation, well put. If you played any MMOs, did you invert? I feel like I'm the only one that does.

Thanks pals.

Agent of the BSoD

• Takeminakata Invocation
  • Never forget
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:18:47 AM »
1) I play inverted when using controllers when in first person (or third person that's acting like first person). I'm not exactly sure why I prefer it that way. Maybe I just got used to some games being like that or something. Whenever I play a game where it isn't inverted, it drives me nuts. This doesn't apply to using a mouse though, inverted mouse would be weird.
2) I'm left handed, the only one in my family, everyone else here is right handed. I absolutely can't write with my right. Also makes using a DS awkward because they make games fit for right handed people in relation to using the touch screen and arrow keys at the same time, and I have the stylus in my left hand typically. I typically use my left hand for most things, however, I still take a use to using things in a right handed way. (e.g. I use my mouse with my right hand, unlike a lot of left handed people who use it with their left)
3) My sister also prefers it inverted, guessing for the same reason as mine. However, her boyfriend prefers non-inverted. Kinda amusing when we switch off the controller and have to change that setting every time he uses it. :V
4) Male
I figured out how to play midi in games with a different device on Win7 ^^
TF2 Backpack
Embodiment of Scarlet Hair English Patch is almost completed.
^ I didn't forget about this. I don't know what you're talking about. >_>

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2013, 03:25:08 AM »
If you played any MMOs, did you invert?

The only MMO I've ever played (which, incidentally, is the only MMO ever worth playing) doesn't have such aiming controls, so I can't tell you. Sorry.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2013, 03:31:43 AM »
1) Inverted in most games where I use controllers - I believe it's due to playing many 32-bit era games with such a configuration. Mouse movements remain normal.
2) Some ambidexterity, but still more right-handed.
3) Nope. My family either doesn't play many games, or will use alternative input methods.
4) medic_ihavenoidea.wav Pyro Male.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 03:39:23 AM by Aya SyaMEEMaru »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 04:39:13 AM »
1. Standard, but I can make do with inverted if I'm so inclined.
2. Lefties represent!
3. Not sure, I don't pay too much attention.
4. heteronormative morbidly obese bald eagle Male

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 06:59:35 PM »
That's very interesting and makes a lot of sense the way you explain it. Sounds like you might have been a platformer/fighting game player, which makes that make even more sense.
Yeah platformer is one of my favorite genres. I used to play quite a few fighting games as well veeeeeery casually, I only started taking them more serious a few years ago. Can't control with right hand for the life of me.
One of the other genres I played A LOT was frantic FPS's like Quake 1 and Unreal Tournament. You also use a lot of WASD in those so it helped big time to develop my left hand preference.
Something even more curious is that I also find driving (IRL) very awkward with only my right hand. It's the most comfortable with my left hand only, followed by both hands, and then right hand.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:01:23 PM by Mordon »

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
1- I actually play with whatever the game gives me, I tend to get used to whichever axis really quick for some reason.
2- Righty
3- My sister seems to prefer playing her video games with the standard axis rather than inverted for FPSs if that's any help.
4- Male