Author Topic: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)  (Read 210481 times)

Re: Touhou Smash crowdfunding and ZUN's fancreation rules (discussion thread)
« Reply #540 on: January 20, 2015, 02:05:09 AM »
Seriously, getting a pr guy can help alot. Also, have you considered possibly allowing the eastern folk a free character via poll, etc. An act of goodwill would go a ways I'd say?

I agree that this would be a really cool thing to do (the free Eastern poll character). The only hard part would be finding a way to do the poll so that only Eastern people responded. I guess it could be done based on Eastern contributors, but I'm not sure how many of them there were/how indicative their choices would be of the current Eastern opinion.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #541 on: January 20, 2015, 02:36:52 AM »
The email has been sent out, a copy of the email was published on the campaign page in both EN and JP.

So you've told Fumio that the IGG drive has been ended and that all money received through it will be refunded (excepting those who insist
on you keeping it), and he confirmed that this was okay?

What do you think about this direction toward a solution?

As long as both ZUN's wishes and IGG's ToS are satisfied, I think whatever you plan on doing is fine, and I don't think it's necessary to strip the game of its Touhouness to avoid offending sensibilities (or to guarantee ZUN's wishes and IGG's ToS are satisfied).

I also think you're selling yourself/the West short in asking about what sorts of sales options are available: N-Forza offered to sell copies at Reitaisai, for one, and I know you know about Touhoucon because you were offering demo plays at it in 2014. You may also be able to arrange something with Hen Da Ne!, who have been selling Touhou stuff at Western conventions for years. (It would be wise to make sure this is permissible, however.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 04:20:01 AM by Kilgamayan »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #542 on: January 20, 2015, 02:49:06 AM »
force ZUN to stop allowing Touhou fanworks at all.

Unless Japanese law works differently from U.S. law, doesn't ZUN hold the decision as to whether someone using his intellectual property should be legally challenged?

« Reply #543 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:30 AM »
Wow! Guys, it looks like all perks are going to be honored, according to Youtube:

Uplus53847

What I meant was for FFS to honour all perks that were given, regardless of refunds.

Ozzie840
+Uplus5384 ah I misunderstood. Yes that should also work too. That might be the best scenario, cant believe I didn't think of it sooner

ItohKuni

That's exactly what we are setting up right now. We are about to send an email "highly" recommending people to accept reimbursement. We are just praying that people accept it because we legally don't have any way to reverse an Indigogo promise if a contributor. We're in the middle of translating everything now for Japanese contributors.

Joe Smith

+ItohKuni Just received the email. So as Ozzie said, does this mean that all perks will be kept intact regardless of donation status?
Reply  ? 

FromSoySauce

Yes, that is exactly the case. ;)
Reply  ? 

Joe Smith

+FromSoySauce Great! Any chance you could put out an update with that info, so that other cool peeps could know? That's awesome though, that we're still going to keep our incredibly unique roster.
Reply  ? 

ItohKuni

Sure, give us a day or two to organize everything. There is a lot of cleaning up to do haha. The unique choices for the roster are part of the reason we wanted to keep it. Some of these characters have had almost no games before this lol
Reply  ?  1

Joe Smith

+ItohKuni Woo! Man, this is so exciting. I'm in awe watching you guys kick adversity's ass.
Reply  ? 

Ozzie840

+ItohKuni
This is very good to hear! I think the controversy will be put to rest if you continue that course of action. Good luck getting this all settled.
Reply  ? 

« Reply #544 on: January 20, 2015, 03:19:32 AM »
I'm in awe watching you guys kick adversity's ass.

Standard ignorant YouTube troll. 11/10 would troll again.

Isn't fulfilling the perks against the rules since they were advertised through IGG?

« Reply #545 on: January 20, 2015, 03:23:22 AM »
I don't think so, since they aren't getting any money from it. I think this is more of a learning experience. As in, learning what was interesting from the campaign, and then using it for the game. Insofar as it pertains to characters and stages.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #546 on: January 20, 2015, 03:27:20 AM »
Standard ignorant YouTube troll. 11/10 would troll again.

Isn't fulfilling the perks against the rules since they were advertised through IGG?

Well, they may have been advertised/made from then but at this point they're just doing what people wanted without payment which technically isn't against the rules.
Sometimes Streams at Hitbox.tv/Reu

« Reply #547 on: January 20, 2015, 03:30:12 AM »
Not trying to be pessimistic, but I'm not too sure about that...

ライン違反
・同人文化や東方Projectを知らない人も利用する場(Indiegogo)にZUNの許可なく露出させた。 これはクラウドファンディングでないサービスでも批難されます。

[...]

Violations of the Touhou guidelines:
* They exposed the Touhou Project without ZUN's permission in a forum (Indiegogo) used by people who are unfamiliar with the doujin culture or the Touhou Project. This will invite criticism even when the service used is not crowdfunding.

Addendum: To be honest, whether fulfilling the perks is legal or not at this point is totally in the gray, at least to me. I'm just going off of whatever evidence has been presented.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:32:40 AM by aUsernameIsFineToo »

« Reply #548 on: January 20, 2015, 03:33:49 AM »

Given that individuals would not even be aware of these characters and stages unless they were Touhou fans, I don't think this applies. In addition, if we keep going by this logic, we are essentially forbidding FSS from making a game that incorporates fan opinion. Also, use of such logic would mean that they could not abide by anything that was said on Indiegogo, meaning that thoughts/concerns/suggestions made on the platform were moot.

Taking it a step further, the use of any knowledge gleaned from the Indiegogo incident (either from fans on the platform or just the incident itself) would be illegal/invite criticism. Which would mean that the project just plain couldn't continue.

Addendum: I get it, you're just trying to be careful. No problem with that given the circumstances.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 03:39:59 AM by Disgaeafan1 »

« Reply #549 on: January 20, 2015, 03:40:46 AM »
You're right. I'm all for the notion that development continues unhindered, but it's just that details like that need to be fleshed out. Perhaps FSS can contact TSA about the issue and get a clear answer.

I want to believe that they can take the advice given on IGG even after the refunds have been made and still be in the green.

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #550 on: January 20, 2015, 03:45:08 AM »

Addendum: To be honest, whether fulfilling the perks is legal or not at this point is totally in the gray, at least to me. I'm just going off of whatever evidence has been presented.

I'm not sure how one relates to the other.
Even then they don't really have to consider it as fulfilling perks but rather doing what they think sounds interesting.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #551 on: January 20, 2015, 03:48:19 AM »
Okay, I got no complaints. People can donate what they want separately, and they're going to take the perks regardless of money and make them happen.

Done and done.

« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2015, 03:51:40 AM »
Okay, I got no complaints. People can donate what they want separately, and they're going to take the perks regardless of money and make them happen.

Done and done.

Yes, that's what I wanted to hear. I just want to make sure this whole incident is behind us and that nothing involving legal action will take place.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2015, 05:45:00 AM »
Honestly, that's probably the best way to go about it. I was very happy to read how the reimbursement and remaining perks will be handled, and I'm pretty much only going to accept the refund because I have conventions to cover soon. When it's further along, I will gladly throw my money back in, as I enjoyed the (beta of the) demo (besides hitting up on the left stick on the 360 controller not jumping by default, but that's more a Unity configuration issue mixed with muscle memory (and added alliterative appeal)). This project may be on a smaller scale than you guys wanted for now, but you've got a lot of attention from the community, and regardless of what it was at first, I think a move like this (especially keeping the perks) generates a lot of goodwill, so I can see this expanding to the original scope once you've laid the base. (And if you drum up the kind of enthusiasm the Brawl modding community has mixed with the Touhou community... well, you're going to have a good amount of volunteers.)

« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2015, 05:58:33 AM »
Hello everyone, Shade here,

I just finished reading the whole thread with Dart earlier today and decided that it was really good stuff so I registered and would like to join the discussions.

So nice to meet all of you :)

Thanks Barchetta, that sounds awesome. The only problem I have with volunteers is that TSA asked us to do things within "our own" ability. So I am not sure if volunteer's count as our own ability.

Also, if we were to send another email to TSA. Let's assume it would be the only one we could send. What information do you think would need to be in it?

Reu

• Ambitious Youkai
« Reply #555 on: January 20, 2015, 07:19:54 AM »

I just finished reading the whole thread with Dart earlier today and decided that it was really good stuff so I registered and would like to join the discussions.

Thanks Barchetta, that sounds awesome. The only problem I have with volunteers is that TSA asked us to do things within "our own" ability. So I am not sure if volunteer's count as our own ability.

Also, if we were to send another email to TSA. Let's assume it would be the only one we could send. What information do you think would need to be in it?

Technically someone added to the circle would count as the circle's ability.
That is if they're also doing this as a hobby I think.

Flandre5carlet

• Sister of the Devil
  • "So all I have to do is 'kyuu', and..."
    • flan.moe
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2015, 08:09:44 AM »

They need to be volunteer members of your circle, not employees. That's basically what I get out of the whole "doujin mindset" thing. If they are to be remunerated, then it is solely out of the benefits from the sales of the product you put out. Well, I'm no expert, though, so I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:13:11 AM by Flandre5carlet »

Drake

« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »
"Fumio had pleaded that we complete the game using "all" of our abilities, and went on to state that with that plead, there should be no need for any more questions. Now it should be known by know to ZUN and TSA that "all of our abilities" includes putting games on the Wii U. That was when I posted about that on FB. Because it sounded that way."
I disagree on this assumption. "Please do X to the best of your ability" is pretty much a generic phrase indicating that they wish to see the game made, and that you should keep working hard. Even still, "making the game" doesn't additionally mean "also put it onto whatever other platforms".

"While it has always been widely believed that ZUN=TSA, and we thought that too, we were as confused as everyone else to hear of the possibility of other members, and as such were not sure if it was just ZUN or an actual other entity. Now we know better, and now that TSA is a literal team of people."
It isn't. ZUN has various people alongside him for various matters, but Team Shanghai Alice has always been just ZUN. Oyamada-san is a business representative, particularly for Korindo Ltd.

"When I was tweeting him, I am not sure if he was talking about TSSB specifically, but I wasn't. I was not because he kept on bringing up "distribution" which was something I have not engaged with, as such all comments of mine were about theoretical other western doujin games in general."
I still don't think you grasped quite what he was asking you. I understand the difficulties, and he understands the difficulties, but you should have talked to others about what he was saying. You made it unnecessarily devolve.

"Nothing within the ZUN's policy state that crowd funding or investment are not doujin activities."
You still don't understand this. "Doujin" is not something ZUN has command over, nor are the derivative guidelines a complete legal set of rules, where anything outside of this list can be considered a free-for-all. Not at all. I'm still baffled as to why you guys think this list ad verbatim are the only rules you need to follow.

"Then he says you need my permission to sell and distribute (which we did none of)."

"No mentions of sales have been made, and no offering of download sales have occurred. The demo, which is the only download available is and has always been free. Also, accusing FSS for things not stated on the guidelines and admitting that the guidelines need to be updated is... I don't know how fair that sounds, but seems inconsistent at best to us."
You are promising the delivery of a product for money, and you make claims that you intend to sell the game. This wouldn't be ambiguous whatsoever if you weren't trying to get funding before you made the game, since if you just made the game first you're forced to get permission, but you're effectively just trying to loophole your way through here and argue that it makes it okay.

Saying the guidelines could use an update on a particular point while also talking about something different you aren't adhering to isn't strange. Adhering to the guidelines regardless of opinion also isn't inconsistent; it's about as consistent as you can get.

"Your right, starting the campaign before ZUN responded was probably a brash decision. It didn't appear though that any guidelines have or would be broken and to our best judgement, based on the lack of mention in the guidelines relating to what we are doing it appeared as if things were OK."
You didn't ask. Like, anyone. So much of this was caused because you've been going ahead without asking anyone besides people who have zero context or knowledge of who they're dealing with.

--

"Also, what is the scope of Doujin? Because the Doujin community arguably permeates the entire world that is aware of Doujin materials including Touhou."
Yes! It does! If you plan to make a work taking advantage of other people's material, you better bet people expect these standards to be upheld. I think this is pretty straightforward.

"Done, is as much as possibly a way that Indigogo can be legally canceled."
It's likely they weren't aware of this particular point, but it's incredibly obvious they meant to stop incoming funds and refund what's already there. Furthermore not contacting him about this predicament makes it extremely suspicious that you intended to do this so they couldn't impose other explicit conditions.

"What is a non-public setting where only Doujin fans exist? Even if we find that setting, the people involved in the project are mainly overseas, And might not have access to this "non-public setting".  They deserve an explanation as well."
It's a bit annoying that you seem to be able to read between lines only when it fits you and not when you're trying to make an defense. "Public" here just means somewhere the masses already go to. "Non-public" means somewhere people won't be able to just stumble onto and spread to arbitrary others. A personal website, a dedicated forum, a repository for Touhou stuff; these are all fine locations. Additionally, if you need precise clarification on examples, ASK.

Also, as has been stated several times, people will give you help on physical distribution. You don't need to personally travel in order to sell the game at conventions. In fact, this happens often even among circles in Japan that just cosign friends' works.

"Even if I did release the email, people could easily assume it's been Photoshopped."
No, the point of releasing the email contents is to make sure you've translated it effectively and are interpreting it suitably. Given this, any fabrication by you guys would be really obvious. Besides that, if you've already opted to publicly describe what the contents of the email were, unless there was other important stuff in there, you've already undermined privacy of disclosure. I don't see why you would argue that you can describe what he said but not actually just post what he said.

"We were ensured it wasn't about copyright"
I reserve to be skeptical about your interpretation as long as we don't have the email contents as written. I very much think that this is about "you've been given permission, so copyrights are no longer a problem", rather than "we have been absolved of all legal responsibility regarding infringement".

---

"And, I keep hearing we broke the "Doujin Guidelines", but I can't seem to find these. The closest thing to this seems to be ZUN's guidelines, however I would love to find them and dissect how we broke them."
You implicitly agree that you know how doujin culture works when you decided to make and distribute a doujin game. These aren't literally written as something you must agree to in some sort of oath, as others have said. In context, it makes zero sense for anyone to say "we are a doujin circle" without even knowing what that means. Thinking that registering on DLSite makes you a doujin circle makes it really clear you had no idea. If you weren't aware, you really should have asked before trying to crowdfund. I would like to maybe make something more comprehensive in the future, but a lot of discussion throughout this thread covers many key points and paints at least a small picture of the culture.

"In terms of copyright issues, we specifically asked that in the email and they Fumio told us, there is no problem with copyright"
There was a problem with copyright when you started the campaign without permission, regardless of the permissions you now have. The point is that this violated guidelines (which aren't even legal permission by themselves; they're promises!), and that claiming that you'd be have an advantage in any hypothetical suit is unfounded. You would very likely lose such a suit.

--

"Perks are being fulfilled regardless"

Guys, as I said previously, this is not a problem. For many instances, the perks people got don't even cost FSS anything. What matters is that people are refunded at the very least.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2015, 08:29:34 AM »
Pre-edit Read Drake's post as well, Saijee.

I've decided to step back and go jogging outside when I noticed Saijee appearing. After that went to bed and this morning I read the replies here and I think people are still not getting what the problem is. Kilga has addressed it twice. Specifically his last post:
So you've told Fumio that the IGG drive has been ended and that all money received through it will be refunded (excepting those who insist
on you keeping it), and he confirmed that this was okay?
I want to know the answer to this too, because I am still not convinced.

@ Saijee & FSS

Orange/Green > You're nitpicking  the guidelines. This section explains us nothing new and doesn't answer our crucial questions. Read stuffman's reply again. Just because something is not covered in the guidelines, doesn't mean it is ok. We have told you hundred times and even one page one. Your ignorance was so high that even if you decided to ignore me, you also decided to ignore NForza who is actually partaking in Doujin events and involved in the scene. Not to mention even never replied on time on Cuc/Monhan's alerts.
Yeah, I think that starting up a crowdfunding campaign before receiving permission from ZUN, even with recent changes regarding his games and fan games on other platforms, seems like a poor idea. Even saying that you contacted him really doesn't mean anything, because he could have very easily ignored/overlooked it.
Crowdfunding project is a bad idea, even worse because you didn't ask permission. Yet were dodging the point that you made a major mistake and weren't admitting it was foolish. Because your prior attitude showed you had no intention of listening to us and you still aren't to be honest. While you say you realise it was bad, you keep defending yourself by spinning around the actual problem. You got warned and alerted by Yonjin-san and Ruw-san for a very good reason. How come you didn't take them serious? Or did you honestly kept that attitude: "You're not ZUN, so w/e" towards even them? Way the go to charm the Eastern people.

You claim you didn't speak about TohoSmash with Yonjin and it wasn't the problem. The very reason why Yonjin prodded is because of your crowdfunding problem. You just refused to listen to him and started a very poor argue how the guidelines were unfair and you had the right to do so. Ruw-san also tweeted for a reason. Japanese Doujin experienced people don't go tweeting out of the blue. How can you be so dense to ignore this? And don't give me the lousy excuse "I didn't." Because if that was the case, your actions would be different. Basically: The whole orange coloured section you wrote is dodging the point and nitpicking. Stop doing this.

Blue section > No. Your #1 and #2 solutions are highly discouraged and we already given you the reasons.
  • You didn't do everything. You're still in the danger zone and you are risking both yourself and your game by keeping this up.
  • Dozen of people have told you, IGG cannot enforce you to conduct copyright infringement. That is plain nonsense. If you're inexperienced and can't handle this: Stop acting all-knowing and ask for serious help. And we already told you how: Ask TSA for Copyright Claim. How hard is that?
  • I have no idea what you're even trying to explain with your 2nd point about the non-public setting issue. Someone can enlighten?

Blue navy last section > First you claim you will not hold back information, now you're saying that you cannot disclose the e-mail. But I'll understand that such e-mails can be indeed very sensitive and the person contacting you will be highly requesting this to be private. Logical, because otherwise every fool would start personally mailing targetting a name. However, you could in fact censor out the names and e-mail address and show us the actual message. I am not convinced.

Suggestion, you're not obliged too but if you really want to convince us and take away part of that shady behaviour:  Censor out the header name/e-mailaddress and PM / Pastebin (private, with expiration timer) Monhan / Forza or Cuc the e-mail (they are the doujin experts here), so they can read it and confirm whether it is true or not. That way, there will be no public disclosure. Think about this.

※ Other concerns I have to express:
  • Registering on Dlsite.com doesn't make you a circle, it has nothing to do with "registering". Especially on the adult section. I don't understand why you even explained that in the transcript. That is another sign of not knowing what you're doing and just rushing things.
  • You can perfectly be a circle on your own even. There are many individuals attending Comiket / Reitaisai if I am not mistaking.
  • Don't let Itohkuni speak about laws, sueing and other stuff. Your brother has absolutely no idea what he is doing. The whole explanation was terrible and it has already been noticed by Eastern people as well. You're not doing any favour with this.
  • There is absolutely no shame in asking help. So ditch this dense mind set. For my own game, I have asked maybe 12 people in my vicinity about things that concern me. And they have provided useful advice I am following. It isn't hard you know?
  • Stop the rush. You've been rushing all this time. But all you did was digging a deeper hole which you're in it. And you still are. Read below why:

Quote from: Saijee
What is your take on all this?
1) Ask TSA to claim copyright to forcefully cancel the IGG project. There are no 'buts'. And see Drake's post again about the license and why he doesn't buy your excuse.
2) You don't highly suggest people to accept the refund. You refund, no matter what. You don't give your backers/funders any choice or options. Because they have none and neither do you.
3) This is not a normal situation so normal procedures don't apply. You cannot follow IGG's guidelines and neither you're enforced to. There will be no 'mutual' agreement. That is being overruled by TSA.
4) Giving people their perks by keeping the money == CROWDFUNDING --> Violation of the ZUN rules.
5) External help for free is not violating the rules, because anybody is technically free to "join" your circle or leave. This has nothing to do with Doujin guidelines or rules.
6) Remove ZUN's picture from your IGG project and anywhere else. A Tengufriend told me that Yonjin-san is highly suggesting it to be removed from both the video and websites.
7) That same Tengufriend also said Yonjin-san is stating not to use " Touhou " in your game title. Apparently my Tengufriend says that 東方 name is the problem. It makes it look like it is an official game.

Quote from: Tweet from Tengufriend
From Yonjin. Quite long: Keyword is "misunderstanding as official Game of Shanhai Alice" They are using "東方〜"in title first, and using ZUN's face picture.

Yonjin's msg: >また、ゲーム名、及び作品名などはそのまま作品名として使用する事は禁止します。 (キャラ名やゲーム内の単語のままの作品や(博麗霊夢、博麗神社等)、その他公式か  どうか紛らわしい物(東方永夜抄外伝等)、私がこれから使用しそうな名前(嘘)  は出来るだけ避けてください。)

Continuing. if ZUN think it's not problem, he would ignore it. but this case, they show off abroad service, and it means not all people knows what Touhou is. It's OK to use in game. It doesn't matter if it doesn't cause misunderstanding that as Official Products. Recently, this rule may ignore. because most people(otaku) in Japan already knows Touhou. but, like animation, those contents may reach to peaple who donot know Touhou, it seem not to use "Touhou" in title. ・Campain still exit on IGG and they use ZUN's picture, and it cause misunderstanding that TSBB is official game. especially people, who don't understand what's Touhou, easy to misunderstand. By using Touhou in the title... That's about it, I guess. Of course, it depends on where they'll sell their product. And since they haven't answered Forza, well It's likely that they should change the title

8) Only and only once everything is cancelled, refunded and project has returned to its original state --> Before you announced the crowdfunding, then we can be all at ease.
9) If by any chance you refuse to actually acknowledge all of this, it means you're acting suspicious and making this look like a scam or finding loopholes to cash in the money no matter what because you are really eager with your current behaviour to forcefully end the campaign and thus "complete" it. We aint stupid, neither is the eastern side.
10) I said this before: If I don't see any proof provided or effort taken to contact TSA regarding the refunding issue, then I'm going to personally attend it to them by askin Yonjin-san or Ruw-san.

Note: If the doujin experts among us have objection against the above, let it be known here.

Also @ All the other people who are here, reading and thinking we hate TohoSmash or Saijee. Let me tell you something: Do you really think we would take 18 pages to bash a fan game? Do you really think that a lot of Doujin experienced people would bother giving their opinions and arguments?

"But Helepolis, why are you attacking FSS then?"
We aren't attacking. We're protecting. Not only FSS, not only Saijee or his game but the entire Western Fan Community. If by any chance ZUN is highly upset and suddenly adjust his guidelines by stating: "Outside of Japan, no more derived games allowed" then we are all royally screwed. That is why I, as a moderator, have the responsibility to enforce this on our section. There is a reason why we are also heavily frowning upon Piracy. We don't do this because piracy is bad, but also to protect our forum from being sued. Protecting our reputation to show the Eastern fans and critics that our forum houses intelligent and respectful people. And protecting something goes with heated discussions, occasional rage/hating and extensive debates. Life isn't easy.

"Hah, you're exaggerating Helepolis, ZUN doesn't care about west"
If that was the case, then he wouldn't bother with AWA. He wouldn't bother being actually charmed by the west. If you didn't notice, his viewpoint was changed after AWA.

"So Helepolis why are you so heated about this?"
Personal opinion: I dislike people abusing our forum to ride on fame then ditch us and ignore us. Saijee was showing signs of this and thus I kept calling him out for this. And it seems I wasn't the only one concerned. Also excuses like "I was busy" doesn't fly when you're spending hours on answering Youtube/facebook. Yes, that needs to be done. Yes, it is important and I understand that. But don't go abuse the people here. And this isn't a personal vendetta or war declaring.

"Helepolis, I thought RikaNitori was a no-drama zone"
Yes, true but: I welcome every fan game on our forum. We don't laugh and disrespect people's work. No matter how ugly the game is in your opinion, no matter how stupid it is in your opinion or no matter how silly it is in your opinion: It is welcome here. Want to hate a game or person? Do it somewhere else.

But our issue here wasn't TohoSmash it self as a game. The game it self was supported for 14 pages if you didn't notice. There was nothing wrong until the crowdfunding was announced. A very poor and miscalculated move from Saijee. I am not entirely convinced yet, but he is somewhat understanding the major mess he is in.

And no, we're not out of the woods yet.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:33:34 PM by Helepolis »

« Reply #559 on: January 20, 2015, 08:58:44 AM »
Spot on Drake and Hele. I was going to bring up my concerns, but you guys covered the bases really well.

FSS please read the above two posts by Drake and Helepolis if you need a summary of what's still very concerning.

A couple of my own points:
- It baffles me how FSS claims to not care about money, but still 「"highly" recommending people to accept reimbursement」 (i.e. let FSS keep your money).

- FSS is grossly unqualified to tackle copyright issues. If FSS still does not understand the whole point about copyright laws, read on.
Point is, if you do not adhere to ZUN's guidelines, he can take legal actions against FSS's action of copyright infringement.
Fact is, ZUN has the rights to take legal actions against any Touhou doujin circles using the Touhou intellectual property.
But he doesn't.
Hell, legions of Japanese companies can take legal actions against doujin groups that release works based on their official anime/manga/etc.
But they don't.
They have an implicit understanding that even though you are infringing on my copyrights, so long as you do not go too big (i.e. commercial), we will leave you alone.
Because there is a mutual respect between copyright holders and their fanbase.
But the law is on their side if they wish to act on it.

This is what underlies the legality of the doujin community.

(Source: I did a academic paper on Comiket and Japan's unique stance on copyright laws involving doujin works. Also, I read copyright law documents for fun.)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:02:28 AM by akj »

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #560 on: January 20, 2015, 09:15:38 AM »
Updated more info in my post about the Touhou name and ZUN picture removal. I was asked to relay the rest.

« Reply #561 on: January 20, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
5) That same Tengufriend also said Yonjin-san is stating not to use " Touhou " in your game title. Apparently my Tengufriend says that 東方 name is the problem. It makes it look like it is an official game.
That is a very odd request, since a large number of existing released Touhou fangames also use 東方 in their game name.

See: List of fangames listed in the english Touhou wiki.

*Edit: I can understand the removal of ZUN's face from the main page though. It makes it seem as if ZUN had a part to play with the campaign. It can be misleading.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 09:29:57 AM by akj »

N-Forza

• Information Superhighway Robbery
  • I said it was a steal, but not for whom
« Reply #562 on: January 20, 2015, 09:47:45 AM »
I think it's more the "five/six-kanji title beginning with 東方" that they have an issue with, specifically.

I'm glad Drake and Hele broke everything else down because I didn't have the time for it, heh.

I will reiterate though, that I may be able to help sell your game in Japan/sell physical copies overseas should everything else be squared away, including refunding everything you received from Indiegogo.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:33:37 PM by N-Forza »

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #563 on: January 20, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
That is a very odd request, since a large number of existing released Touhou fangames also use 東方 in their game name.

See: List of fangames listed in the english Touhou wiki.

*Edit: I can understand the removal of ZUN's face from the main page though. It makes it seem as if ZUN had a part to play with the campaign. It can be misleading.

Yeah I remember there being mention of issues with the Touhou in the title, I don't believe anything has been done about it but (someone) said it's frowned on. Which is why I tried to find alternate solutions to the name like Touyou or other such that can still mean Eastern or Oriental. Also why I have problems with the Puppet Dance Performance translation name, no Touhou in the title but people have translated it as such.
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #564 on: January 20, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
Oh, noticed it also recently, see attachment:

I have no idea what this paper is you speak of on youtube comments but it isn't helping your case. I have told you that the video doesn't explain anything either and that it is a 1-sided, 1-direction communication. Multiple people shared the same opinion. How on earth is a paper, especially made with your brother Kuni (who already has made a terrible post about laws and such) help your case?

See my big-ass post about mentioning not to rush things and act "I know everything" or "I know what to do". You obviously don't and the reasons are explained by Drake and me.

While it is not our territory, I've received prods that even on 4chan jp section, people are calling you a scam and shady for holding a flexible funding, not cancelling the IGG project, not refunding people, not listening to reasons, doing a poor job in communication and attempting to cash the money.

On IRC, in #Shrinemaiden, a public unrelated channel. Also had discussed the entire deal and they were anything but positive about the IGG thing.

I can't believe you didn't pull the emergency brakes yet. And you're still not convincing us. You show 0% intention to stop this.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:45:16 AM by Helepolis »

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #565 on: January 20, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »
Something else I wanted to point out: practically every Touhou doujin work starts with a boilerplate disclaimer along the lines of "This is a derivative work of Touhou Project. The characters and setting may differ from the original - if this offends you then please do not continue.". Your videos do not.

A Japanese audience is going to notice its absence and read into it, to the point where you might as well have started off with "This is an official work of Touhou Project. My interpretations of the characters and setting are completely flawless and written by ZUN - if this offends you then fuck you."

« Reply #566 on: January 20, 2015, 11:00:08 AM »
Oh, noticed it also recently, see attachment:
I think FSS misunderstood the point about Team Shanghai Alice saying that they do not have any copyright problems with the project.
Team Shanghai Alice doesn't mind what's inside the game, but they care about the IGG project, and if need be to protect Touhou's image / community, they can act by utilizing copyright laws to shut it down.
Like with creative works licensed under Creative Commons, if you stay within the rules stipulated by a work's creator, you're fine.
Step outside of it, and bam, in comes copyright lawsuits.

Similarly, when ZUN says "I don't generally review or veto the contents of independent works, so please use your own personal judgement in and take responsibility for your works.", he means he doesn't care about the contents of your work, not even if you peddle in smut. Just don't blame him if things happen to you because of the contents of your work (like if authorities decide to crackdown on smut).

Drake

« Reply #567 on: January 20, 2015, 11:05:10 AM »
As a minor note about the name of the game (as a potential issue), I personally think that something like "Gensokyou Smash Battles / 幻想郷大乱闘" or "Gensou Smash Battles / 幻想大乱闘" is a better-sounding name.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #568 on: January 20, 2015, 11:11:58 AM »
As a minor note about the name of the game (as a potential issue), I personally think that something like "Gensokyou Smash Battles / 幻想郷大乱闘" or "Gensou Smash Battles / 幻想大乱闘" is a better-sounding name.
The Storm of Spell Bullets?

Colticide

• Awoo!~
« Reply #569 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:04 AM »

I like that, it's better and more precise then my idea.  :D

Fantasy Danmaku Battle or Fantasy Danmaku fighter sound kind it might not even be touhou or could be mistaken as the fighting games too I guess?
Touhou Fugyouseki ~ Nightmare of Sleeping Girl English Patch
I run a crappy YouTube channel, check it out if you wish~