Author Topic: Megaman X Street Fighter - coming soon, for free, to a PC near you.  (Read 6438 times)

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 05:59:08 AM by Kilgamayan »

Third Eye Lem

• Time Ticker
  • Castle Bal
Re: Megaman X Street Fighter - coming soon, for free, to a PC near you.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:23 AM »
Make a Megaman x Marvel game and we'll have something here. :3c

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
I approve of this.

EDIT: And surprisingly so does Capcom. Hooray, I think, given that the past few years have been painful ones for Mega Man fans?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:08:25 AM by Purple-haired Pacifistic Pasuhead »

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:24:02 AM »
capcom no

I'm trying to hate you

stop this
Spoiler:
I've missed you

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 08:19:42 AM »
Yeah, I saw this yesterday. I'm not exactly a fan of Street Fighter, but I am most definitely a fan of Megaman. I'd pick this up even if it wasn't for free.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 10:28:52 AM »
Hilarious crossover. Will be playing this one.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 06:52:20 PM »
Yeah, I saw this yesterday. I'm not exactly a fan of Street Fighter, but I am most definitely a fan of Megaman. I'd pick this up even if it wasn't for free.

^ this
It's pretty sweet we're finally getting a Megaman game, and it's retro! I admit I really would've liked MML3 more, but hey, can't argue with a free, old-school game.

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »
On top of this game...

Megaman 25th anniversary PV "X vs Zero" from Rockman Holic.

PV

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 07:36:39 AM »
A fan game that Capcom helped develop. It's certainly a step in a more agreeable direction.
With this and Rockman Holic, I'm going to enjoy the 25th anniversary.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:26 AM »
played for a few minutes, feels like a fangame. is this actually endorsed by capcom or...?

in any case it's pretty fun and the nes soundchip voice clips for bosses are hilarious. it's just not up to par with with 9 and 10 from what i've experienced so far - stage design feels bland and repetitive, like they just throw a bunch of enemies and platforms at you without doing anything very clever. not much variation between enemies either, or consistency between stages

i dunno it's possible the game just doesn't have the right mega man "feel" because i'm playing it on a computer but it's like 5 or 6 out of 10 at the moment

also the default controls are 100% retarded

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:30:14 AM »
I noticed this thread existed because I went "wait what Prims posted outside of mafia". Been watching a couple streams of this, it seems pretty nifty.

But I do still wonder about the secret boss. Supposedly Capcom confirmed there is one? I don't know much on the subject.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 01:55:06 AM »
was this made in game maker or something? i keep getting this sound crackling that only happens to me in game maker games (never figured out what causes it)

edit: impressions of first 8 stages:

ryu - unmemorable stage, enemies and platforms here and there but you will probably never die. annoying at best. boss was obvious warmup

blanka - boring stage (though not as unmemorable as ryu's), cool boss with an interesting pattern. i liked the watermelons and the chiptune roar.

chun li - stage has too much going on and is really short. again, really just enemies everywhere; the gimmick is weak and a mild inconvenience at the worst. for the boss i used hadouken and didn't really have any trouble

rose - fuck rush jet segments and fuck you. level poorly-designed and boring. boss is really irritating to dodge. terrible stage would not play again.

c viper - best stage so far. second half was actually really fun though i imagine it being very difficult if you don't already have a couple weapons. laser joes are annoying but if you spam chun li's wep next to them it kills them pretty fast with no risk of taking damage. used chun li's weapon for boss and i'm p sure i got lucky and it was her weakness so i barely actually paid attention to the fight

dhalsim - first impression was "so is this gonna be a forgiving version of schwer-muta's stage from rks or something" but then it wasn't and i was disappointed. cool stage with really annoying enemies, more enjoyable than the rest so far except viper's. i hate those roller things with invincibility. boss is cool but i cheesed it and used his weakness

yoga fire is really fun in stages, woah. i dunno why they didn't show its entire function in the weapon demo

urien - fun level. i think i got screwed by picking all the boring ones first or something. that's still lame game design though, all your stages should be fun instead of just a select few gimmicky ones. also LADDERS YOU CAN MOVE IN 8 DIRECTIONS ON IN A MEGA MAN GAME that's some revolutionary shit right there

rolento - lots of pits and damaging shit flying everywhere. stage feels incomplete; was really short like an actually interesting version of chun li's. boss wants to be quint apparently. i dunno it was ok but over really fast

edit 2: reached boss rush stage and got really bored. fortress is short and horribly designed. vega stage is legitimately terrible and the boss is near impossible
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 04:11:29 AM by Prims »

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 02:46:44 AM »
just read about the origins of this game. that's kind of insulting to be honest. "hey guys we couldn't be assed to do anything for the anniversaries of our franchises so we got some guy to do a subpar job for us in a freeware program". but then again capcom

i really wish somebody could tell me how to stop game maker games from distorting sound too :X used to never happen

weapon octagon for those who don't like experimenting
Spoiler:
Ryu
>
Spoiler:
Chun Li
>
Spoiler:
C. Viper
>
Spoiler:
Dhalsim
>
Spoiler:
Blanka
>
Spoiler:
Rose
>
Spoiler:
Rolento
>
Spoiler:
Urien

also, easter egg taken from an imageboard:
Spoiler:
if you pause, hold down jump, then press up down down down it replaces the entire soundtrack with guile's theme until you input the same code again

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 04:29:00 AM »
But I do still wonder about the secret boss. Supposedly Capcom confirmed there is one? I don't know much on the subject.

Spoiler:
Yeah there is one, you have to beat all bosses with a perfect and then fight Bison and before you beat him Akuma will come and you will have to fight him instead. Just like SFII :V

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 08:20:22 PM »
Currently trying to unlock the secret boss, I've heard three perfects, and I've heard all perfects. Went through the game and got about five, lost all my lives a couple of times, but was a no-show. Anyone else figure out which one is the actual method?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:22:32 PM by BlurpleberryStrudel »

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »
Boss thoughts from someone that has yet to actually use a Master Weapon:

- For someone with exactly three attacks, one of which will never hit you ever, Ryu sure can be annoying. I think this is mostly because he has a tendency to stop the Hurricane Kick exactly where I don't want him to. OTOH I haven't tried sliding under fireballs yet (I assume this is possible) and "SHINKU HADOUKEN" is adorably awesome so he gets a pass on the whole.
- If you get hit by Chun-Li you're doing it wrong. Painfully easy compared to every other boss in the game.
- Blanca fight is speedy and stylish and ends up a lot of fun despite being maybe 20% as hard as it looks.
- Yoga Inferno can fuck off. Entertaining boss otherwise. Dhalsim's sprite might be my favorite of all of them.
- Rose is beyond stupid and puts you entirely at the mercy of AI behavior luck. Get out.
- C. Viper is all over the place and keeps you on your toes the entire time by being actually legitimately difficult. She telegraphs everything but it all looks similar so you still need good reflexes to know how to dodge. Best fight of the first eight, hands-down. I'd even go so far as to say that her stage and fight by themselves were worth the entire download.
- Everything said about Blanca applies to Urien. The only difference between the two is that Aegis Reflector triggers Rose PTSD.
- Rolento is bizarre. Reminds me a lot of MegaMari Reimu in that he can be very hard or very easy and it's almost entirely up to chance which one you'll get. The explosion hitboxes are irritating and can combine very unforgivingly with knife spam. Don't know what to say about this one; I'm constantly changing my mind on whether or not I like it.
- For as much and as hard as
Spoiler:
the Balrog stagefightthing
made me laugh (particularly your OHKO if you can get to it), it's not as fun as it looks.
- I agree with HW on just about everything
Spoiler:
Vega-related
, stage and fight. The homing dive attack in particular is up there in Rose-tier stupid. I softened a bit on the fight once I realized how much maneuverability you actually have, though - the
Spoiler:
background fence
makes dodging a lot more manageable.
- My late-night work-night lone trip to the refights ended in a game over thanks largely to Rose and Ryu so I have no opinion of bosses beyond that. I will say that not providing energy during the refights when you have such luck-driven nonsense as Rose and Unforgiving Mode Rolento is a terrible idea.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2012, 12:33:43 AM »
I will say that not providing energy during the refights when you have such luck-driven nonsense as Rose and Unforgiving Mode Rolento is a terrible idea.

I thought this as well, but if you actually go and shoot those two spinning orbs at the center of the room, it will drop big refills for Life and Weapons. It's obscure enough that you would never guess it was there unless you jumped around like an idiot shooting the entire room.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2012, 03:18:42 AM »
Wow, that actually helped a lot. Thanks for pointing it out! I would never have thought to try it on my own. :C

Notes regarding Vega that make him manageable:

- You can kinda sorta stream him back and forth so his dives come up short. If he starts climbing in a corner, make your way to the other corner.
- Related to the above, true to Street Fighter form, if you shoot him mid-dive you'll knock some of his equipment off. This tends to calm him down and sometimes he'll make an active attempt to retrieve it instead of continuing to pursue you.
- If he's at least half a screen away from you when he starts his super, stand still (or slide backward if you have the room) and he'll fly right over your head.

Beat the refights. Bison fight is a lot of fun. Very similar to C. Viper in concept, though completely different in execution. Psycho Driver is a cute touch.

EDIT: So Ryu's fireballs can't be slid under. What's the key to this guy, then? I have to be missing something. I know you can slide under the Hurricane Kick but that doesn't help a whole lot.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 03:22:06 AM by Kilgamayan »

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 03:33:09 AM »
Yeah, I literally went through my first run without knowing this, and beating all eight of them with just the two lives and a single E-Tank is certainly NOT fun. I noticed E-Tanks do not respawn in stages even if you continue, so you can't do that same stuff like to cheese RKS by dying to the boss and stacking on the E's.

Vega: I think the Lightning Kick also knocks his equipment off
Spoiler:
and is his weakness
, but it's too close-range of a weapon to be comfortable to use, especially since these characters are kinda SUPPOSED to be pros at close-range combat.

Ryu: Didn't know I could slide-dodge that kick, I usually just jump over all his attacks with little problem. You can shoot up some of the Hadoukens, but only do this if you're far and it's the small, blue ones. His weakness
Spoiler:
Aegis Reflector
is hard to use even then, because most of the time he just hurricane-kick-invincibility-frame-whores it up the whole fight >.< All I'm going to say is just keep moving for this one, and always have a charge ready for when he stops and decides not to do that BS.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2012, 05:59:35 AM »
Oh hi I upgraded your thread

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »
The game runs like crap. There is probably an unthrottled loop running in the background or something. The controls basically don't respond, and I just about had to reboot before I managed to close it with the process menu. Oh, and this is definitely gamemaker, because Alt + F4 shrinks and enlarges the screen instead of closing the program. Never had a problem with (properly coded) gamemaker games before.

Apparently the problem I had is to do with USB devices, mostly controllers or virtual controllers. I disabled VJoy in Device Manager and it cleared up the problem.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:15:17 AM by ceiling hat »

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 01:39:44 AM »
4chan's /v/ and /m/ already ripped into this and confirmed it's a gamemaker thing or something using it as a base.

Observer

• Light Bearer
  • Arcanum Infinitum
    • Primum Mobile ~ Doujin Circle
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
4chan's /v/ and /m/ already ripped into this and confirmed it's a gamemaker thing or something using it as a base.
I can confirm it's Gamemaker since it suffers from the same sound problems under Win7 64-bit, just like Hydorah, Maldita Castilla and Legend of Fae, which are all also made with the same engine.

Shame, it looks really good but I cannot play with that horrible sound. I tried it on a Win 7 32-bit comp and it ran perfectly. Those people at YoYo should really get on fixing this =/ (doubt it'll happen any time soon, it's been a recurring and very common problem!)

What control are you people using? I started playing with the keyboard and I'm regretting it. My keyboard is just not very good...

RE-BORN INDISCRIMINATE INSTINCT

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »
This game had no
Spoiler:
Sagat
. Why.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »
What control are you people using? I started playing with the keyboard and I'm regretting it. My keyboard is just not very good...

I used a Logitech controller pad and it worked just fine.

You can wish for anything!