Author Topic: So how is UFO's reception?  (Read 41828 times)

Hawk

• Babababa~
Re: So how is UFO's reception?
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2009, 05:46:55 AM »
So yeah, sub-par vs. bosses, but does awesome on the stages.

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4467
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4468

Nazrin's card being an exception, claims of being "sub-par" are, I think, vastly exaggerated.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #121 on: August 22, 2009, 06:38:12 AM »
Nazrin's card being an exception, claims of being "sub-par" are, I think, vastly exaggerated.
I got curious about playing full version replays in the Trial. Results were hilarious. Anyway;

I would've expected a slightly larger difference in time taken, seeing as there was an entire 1 second difference comparing 2.00 Power between ReimuA and SanaeB against Nazrin's Mid-Boss Spell Card. I'm going to have to check those replays very soon.

Quote from: Kouryaku (translated)
SanaeB (Shotgun) >> ReimuA > SanaeB > MarisaA ≒ MarisaB (Shotgun) > SanaeA > ReimuB ≒ MarisaB
Where you determine the par-line to be is entirely up to you. I find it where I bolded and underlined. The reason why I "pushed" the line up for my purposes? The "small" time difference is currently making the difference between a capture, and a clipdeath / timeout. Anything below ReimuA I probably wouldn't even touch, unless there was some redeeming factor (in this case, shotgun+spread variability; SA MarisaA with the two shot types inverted).

Also, the belief of Reimu's smaller hitbox.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 06:40:12 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #122 on: August 22, 2009, 06:58:44 AM »
Wait, I should probably know: From hard data, is it known whether or not Reimu has a smaller hitbox again?
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

shadow306k

• ...and i thought beating normal mode was hard
« Reply #123 on: August 22, 2009, 03:00:22 PM »
The only thing I can say that I dislike is when the screen's so cluttered I can't say if something is a point item or a blue bullet.

Agreed, stage 4 and 6 are nightmares for that, when the enemies come in masses, and leave masses of point items, only to have EVEN more enemies behind the items, and when the bullets are thrown in aswell, i think it looks a mess  :-\ part from that, great game love it  ;D

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #124 on: August 22, 2009, 11:08:42 PM »
Wait, I should probably know: From hard data, is it known whether or not Reimu has a smaller hitbox again?
I don't think anyone's looked at factual data yet, but considering everyone has the same focus speed I'm going to guess not.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2009, 11:25:14 AM »
Alright, seeing as I've played the full version let me start to produce a wall. Everything is my opinion.

Music. Great, and I never noticed the pop until very recently.  Syou's theme is a very nice one.

S6's is designed with the atmosphere in mind, so I won't say much about it. Byakuren's is alright.

The stages were very interesting. Unfortunately, for high-level play, I found only SanaeB useful enough to survive the multitudes of fairies and mass UFO chaining*. Any other shot type (except MarisaB, which does have its uses) suffers horribly at high-level play.

*I'd honestly like to see somebody do S6 Lunatic without using SanaeB and still be able to chain enough UFOs together without bombing)

Spell Cards were interesting. Some were plain stupid in concept, leading to absurd walling / clipdeath. Nazrin (S5) Mid-Boss' and Byakuren's first come to mind for Lunatic. Even on Hard occasionally.

Still working out the details of the Final Spell Card. And the Shinki-like Spell Card gets +points for nostalgia.

Some of the non-spells / attack phases (AP) were incredibly difficult. Murasa's last is a notable one. Syou's on Lunatic appear to move too fast for me to parse quickly enough.

I also got excited at the "midbosses" for S4 and 6, but... they weren't the same  ;_;
At least they gave out some nice things like they did before.

Shot types (and bombs). I'll cover high-level play.

• ReimuA is the baseline.
  • ReimuB gets walled too easily, and lacks actual firepower. Bomb is a fair bit powerful, but it really can't be used for UFO chaining too well, since the orbs will attack the UFO.
  • MarisaA lasers only seem to be useful for S1 SC3. Spark can't be used for UFO chaining unless you know when and where to bomb. Even then, there are limitations.
  • MarisaB has some uses with reverse-shots. I really have no queries about this. Also, short bomb isn't that bad. Maybe I should use this type as my secondary.
  • SanaeA is redundant because of the snakes not dealing enough. Bomb is nice though.
  • SanaeB trivializes the stages, and is almost as good as ReimuA in terms of long-distance damage against bosses. Shotgunning tips this right over. Delay bomb can be used to the (users) advantage in UFO chaining as well.

Overall Difficulty: Harder than SA, but it gives you a crapton of resources to work with.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 11:27:09 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Tiliesola x01

• Administrator of Agepan
  • The world needs all of its precious lives
    • Next Phantasm...
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2009, 06:26:16 PM »
Quote from: ZUN's TH12 manual
基本性能
移動速度    普
特技    当たり判定が若干小さい

Basic characteristics
Movement speed: average
Specialty: hitbox is fairly small
Fou ki ra hyear, presia reen;
Was zweie ra na stel zuieg, manaf
Ma zweie ra irs manaf chyet oz omnis

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
Very thorough, BaitySM, thank you.

• MarisaB has some uses with reverse-shots. I really have no queries about this. Also, short bomb isn't that bad. Maybe I should use this type as my secondary.

I've been using MarisaB as my primary since reading the game dialogue, and those reverse shots do indeed come in handy. Her shotgun is also pretty strong on full power. So last night, I did some experimenting:

I tried to go for redbluegreen combos until I got full power before attempting to get just reds or just greens, and found that I actually got full power faster by skipping this step and going straight for the reds. I'm still trying other combinations but I really like MarisaB a lot.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »
I like everything except the UFO system.  I only play Normal and Hard so I can't speak for how lunatic goes but the UFO system allows for such absurdity (full lives and bombs time to start stacking points I guess) if you know how to play it right and if you don't it's gonna hurt real bad.  Speaking of which I need to go through the trouble of figuring out how to run the extra stage to maximize lives/bombs, haven't bothered to do that yet.

BESIDES that one complaint everything is super.  I love the music/bosses/stages everything.  It's definitely one of my favorites in the series.

« Reply #129 on: August 25, 2009, 03:43:53 PM »
For the purposes of Science, I played Easy as Sanae-A before playing her on Normal. I have to say it isn't actually different enough from Normal (let's see ... some of the early enemies in stage 1 don't launch bullets, Kogasa's umbrellas don't launch bullets when you break them, the "descending column of brofists punching against each other" card has a slightly less-dense pattern when they hit, that one brofists-punch-side-of-screen attack involves two fists instead of three, CAPTAIN MURASA doesn't have her timeout card, and Byakuren doesn't have that zigzag spell card, that's all I noticed) to warrant not unlocking Extra Stage.

« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
At first when I played this, I thought the music was really different, and it didn't sound much like Touhou. But two weeks later, it suddenly sounds more Awesome. Maybe Touhou takes time to settle in.

Drake

« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2009, 08:46:44 PM »
That happens every time a new game is released.

"OH MY GOD ZUN'S MAKING A NEW GAME"
"THIS LOOKS AWESOME AND WE'RE SPECULATING STUFF"
"DEMO IS RELEASED THIS IS AMAZING"
"oh ok actually never mind the demo sucks ass"
"shit shit this game is going to be shit shit shit"
"i hope zun changes stuff in the final release or this is going to suck"
"GAME RELEASED YEEEAAH"
"k no this sucks" / "NO WAIT THIS IS AWESOME"

And then we finally settle on

"This game is actually pretty good and I love playing it regardless of it's faults"

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #132 on: August 25, 2009, 08:50:05 PM »
most people hate it until they realize it's not cool to hate it anymore.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #133 on: August 25, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

"GAME RELEASED YEEEAAH"

"This game is actually pretty good and I love playing it regardless of it's faults"
This is mostly because the demo tends to have serious playability issues (O LOOK NOTHING DIES LOLOLOL) that get fixed in the full release.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #134 on: August 25, 2009, 09:40:24 PM »

"GAME RELEASED YEEEAAH"

This is pretty much the template, yes.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Cabble

• Ask me about my Cat.
  • Not unwilling to shank you.
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2009, 11:55:57 PM »
The first three stages had completely forgettable music, save the bosses.

I fell in love with stage 4's theme.

Captain Murasa wasn't as good :L

Stage 5 was awesome.

I'm listening to Syou's theme right now. Awesome theme.

Stage 6 was pretty cool, but didn't fit in with the mood.

Byakuren's theme <3

I liked the extra stage theme.

NUE'S THEME OMFG I LOVE YOU

Credits and ending themes suck  :V
I had a teacher who used to play radiohead during class once.

ONCE.

« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »
This is mostly because the demo tends to have serious playability issues (O LOOK NOTHING DIES LOLOLOL) that get fixed in the full release.

I THINK YUGI WANTS TO CHOKE A CPU!!!
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #137 on: August 26, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
Am I the only person who feels SA normal is harder than UFO normal? sure seems that way to me. I 1cc'd UFO normal on my 2nd try. SA took like..10.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #138 on: August 26, 2009, 12:38:33 AM »
Am I the only person who feels SA normal is harder than UFO normal? sure seems that way to me. I 1cc'd UFO normal on my 2nd try. SA took like..10.

nope.

i can barely pass Stage 4 of SA on Practice.

on UFO i can do it with 7 lives left.

the same kind of thing goes for every other stage, too.[quote author=Ghaleon link=topic=1708.msg72558#msg72558
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 01:11:08 AM by Slaves »

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #139 on: August 26, 2009, 01:09:21 AM »

UFOs give you so much lives it makes it easier to 1cc.
However, the stages itself are more difficult in my opinion.

The first three stages had completely forgettable music, save the bosses.

What!? But that stage 1 theme is really awesome  :-\. Oh well, different people, different tastes in music.

JormundElver

• Baron Von Parakeet
« Reply #140 on: August 26, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »

I'm in the same boat I 1cced UFO normal on my second try also.  I think overall the bosses were harder then SA's, but playing through with what feels like nearly infinite lives or bombs, it's bound to be an easier trip.

c l e a r

• Carousel of Agony
« Reply #141 on: August 26, 2009, 08:15:56 AM »
I'll say the characters will just grow on us, just as any other game has really.

However, all of Stage 4 can go fuck itself.  I did the entire Stage 5 with only 1 death at the final spell.  Between Murasa's survival card and the overall bullshit of Stage 4, it takes the cake and eats it too.

« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »

"GAME RELEASED YEEEAAH"

This is pretty much the template, yes.
now the trick here is, when touhou 13 is released, someone responds with "Templates like that are forbidden."

Rikter

• VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
« Reply #143 on: August 26, 2009, 04:10:34 PM »

I do better with UFO normal as well.

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
So basically, UFO is easier to 1CC, but has harder patterns/stages/bosses. The UFO system is much more forgiving than "lol if you die a lot you get even LESS lives" from SA. I personally find all the stages, music, and bosses likable. None of them are amazingly interesting or original, but it's another great overall game like PCB, IN and MoF were (sorry, EoSD is too randomish for me).

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #145 on: August 26, 2009, 06:27:46 PM »
Easier to 1cc on Normal, maybe; on Hard, not so much. UFO Hard is actually difficult to a degree where it's harder than some of the Lunatic modes of previous games, like PCB. =x The jump from Normal to Hard is a lot bigger in UFO compared to SA IMO, and Byakuren is a far more difficult final boss than Utusho whose only really threatening attacks were her first two spell cards. Sure, you get more lives, but less bombs (or more bombs and less lives), and you often tend to use said bombs for chasing up UFOs that get lost in the ridiculous amounts of bullets. I haven't really played Lunatic but from the videos I've seen, I'd guess the same applies.

Extra on the other hand I thought was a bit easier than SA's, but still decently challenging (and more fun).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 06:33:12 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #146 on: August 26, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
SA had more capturable cards but gave you less lives.
UFO on the other hand had these "oh god what the fuck is this" cards but gave you many more lives.....I find it easier overall, atleast on Normal. SA took me a lot of practice to 1cc(entered stage 6 with 1 life....)

Matsuri

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2009, 05:20:38 AM »
I freaking love this game, and it totally makes up for how disappointed I was in Mountain of Faith and Subterranean Animism, where I was only really interested in the story/characters/music over gameplay.

I'll admit that I'll probably never play this game for score because it's so frustrating, but the fact that the scoring and gameplay system is fresh and fun still remains.

Also, the homages ZUN makes to other shmups and arcade games (example: Shou's Radiant Treasure Gun (referring to Radiant Silvergun by Treasure) and the mass of Taito references in Kogasa's Parasol Star Symphony/Memories, not to mention the Space Invaders references) as well as to his own games (Byakuren's Devil Rescitation = Shinki's second to last pattern and such) makes me squeal in joy on the inside.

Not only that, the game is just plain pretty. Also, Byakuren and Nue are awesome.

I pre-ordered UFO as soon as paletweb gave me an email notification saying it was available. It deserves my purchase.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 05:22:48 AM by Matsuri »