Author Topic: Koakuma's Writer's Parlour ~ Have some tea and discuss fiction and writing here!  (Read 223968 times)

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
I just need some general tips on this story, as most of it is already laid out, I'm really concerned about the observers though, I have no idea what to do with them :V
Observers are tricky things. Often I see them used as sportscasters for fights, nothing more. Too many writers seem to have picked up an unfortunate tendency to provide a character solely to do the play-by-play (“Oh, look! [character A] has just declared [spellcard Y] –insert detailed description–which has had [effect Z]! How amazing!”) I like it when observers get to DO things, not just encouragement, but influence the fights. That might not work for the scene you've got in mind, but I still suggest that you give the observers things to do.

andrewv42

• I heard Malzaherp
  • needs a derp
Observers are as much audience to a scene as a reader would be. Their sensations and remarks can therefore help to influence those of your readers.
I eat squirrels.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
Better yet, you can deceive them and surprise the reader~!
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

That kind of already happens. The only thing I don't like about it is that almost none of the main characters are from canon - you never see the world from the point of view of Mokou or Yuuka or Flandre.

Try http://www.mspaforums.com/showthread.php?40712-Leave-Me-Alone%21-%28A-Text-Adventure-starring-Flandre-Scarlet%21%29.

The ones with a cannon character as the view point can be interesting though, theres one with Cirno, another with that bird youkai that Reimu mugged.
I have...a terrible need...shall I say the word?...of religion. Then I go out at night and paint the stars.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
I'm planning on doing a Yukari Quest, but it's going to be satirical and parody ever damn aspect of Touhou fandom.
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

FinnKaenbyou

• Formerly Roukanken
  • blub blub nya
Fear In Writing - Is It Normal? And Is It A Good Thing?
« Reply #995 on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:13 PM »
Question for the authors of PSL.

I've been doing a bit of reading about writing, if that makes sense. I've been having moments where I get too nervous to write, where I get convinced that my writing isn't good enough, that people will pick holes in everything I produce.

But evidently, I'm not alone in that. In fact, from what I've seen in a lot of articles I've read on the subject, fear may actually be part of the writing process.

I'm willing to believe that the majority of writers - if not all writers - are abnormal. Writing is at some level a personal endeavour - you are passing on a small part of yourself in the story, and that means exposure to everyone who might read your work. That's understandably terrifying.

And it's not reduced to amateur writers either. Take this quote:
"It's just a run of the mill book. And the awful thing is that it is absolutely the best I can do. ...I've always had these travails...I never get used to them."

Sounds like any generic Mike R. Writealot. Except this quote is credited to John Steinbeck, while he was writing The Grapes of Wrath.

Maybe the fear of writing is never something you fully escape. No matter how much you study, no matter how much you write, no matter how popular you are or how well you sell, the same fears will always grip you.

And that's why writing takes a degree of courage. The courage to write in spite of your concerns, your fears, your desire to throw the manuscript away and act like it never happened. Maybe my problem is that I hope at some point the fear will go away, but it never does. So maybe I need to learn to write even though it scares me shitless.

Am I alone in this? Anyone else have experience with the fear that comes with exposing a part of yourself to the world? [No, not those parts. Stop thinking dirty, Sect.]

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
I'M AWESOME AND I NEVER FEEL BAD ABOUT EVERYTHING EVER BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD LOVE WHAT I WRITE BECAUSE IT'S ME! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Almost every time I update White Rose, the next few hours are spent huddling in a corner somewhere eating comfort food because I'm scared as hell that I just managed to ruin the entire ride for everyone, including myself. It's terrifying.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
I'm taking an expository writing class this semester, and the first assigned reading was about a food critic talking about "shitty first drafts." He talked about how every time he started he was convinced this was the time he would fail, that this was the end for him. Then he got started after ages of moaning and it turned out fine. I think this is just as true for amateur writers than professionals, perhaps even more since we're not aiming for a paycheck.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
Hell, I get that feeling even before I start writing.  I worry far too much about what I'm trying to get down, and how it's no doubt going to sound extraordinarily stupid if I actually get it down, and how no one would want to read my stupid stuff anyways and gaaah. >.<  It doesn't help that I alternate between this, inpenetrable writer's block or a mix of the two at all times.  Sigh...

...Also, I guess we need a new tea room now. >.>  See you all in the new parlour, I guess!
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

Hell, I get that feeling even before I start writing.  I worry far too much about what I'm trying to get down, and how it's no doubt going to sound extraordinarily stupid if I actually get it down [...] and gaaah. >.<

This is pretty much how my writing's gone. Moxie of the Sea is so lonely without me there to update it. :<

Also, you are right; let's give our hosts a chance to clean up a bit, and the parlor will be open again shortly!

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
Furniture is being rearranged, cobwebs are being cleaned, books are being dusted off. Please watch warmly~