Author Topic: A Unifying Symbol for Touhou  (Read 7313 times)

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
A Unifying Symbol for Touhou
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:45:47 PM »
I've always wondered this. Is there a unifying symbol for Touhou? Something like a logo, but more of like a touch stone for the entire series. 
I don't think there is and so I was wondering, What should such a symbol be? For a while I've been thinking it would be a torii but just now I started thinking of a shrine maiden and how she could be represented cleanly. Reimu's bow also seems like a good option. Any opinions?
This doesn't really have a purpose, its just an element that I always thought was missing from the series.

On a slightly different note. I heard (probably from cuc) that ZUN has a stamp that was made by a fan and now appears on every game as ZUN's signature. I was wondering if anyone had a clean version of this image, perhaps a vector image.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Re: A Unifying Symbol for Touhou
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »
Well the logo for every mainline Windows game (and Shoot the Bullet) is a pic of Marisa's face... :V

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
What should such a symbol be?

Seriously, I don't know written Japanese at all, but I instantly recognize these two symbols. If that would be a banner I'd stand by it.

Well, failing that, Reimu's Ying-Yang orb seems to be something easily recognizable.

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
Perhaps the Kanji for Touhou, but the rectangle with a line in it in the 1st kanji should be replace by one of Reimu's Yin-Yang Orbs. As for the other character, I have no idea.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 07:12:31 PM »
Well, failing that, Reimu's Ying-Yang orb seems to be something easily recognizable.
Was going to post the same thing - like, a ying-yang orb in either side of 東方 or something.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 07:19:16 PM »

Closest to the official thing you'd get to a logo.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:21:39 PM »
Well the logo for every mainline Windows game (and Shoot the Bullet) is a pic of Marisa's face... :V

Voting for this :V

Imosa

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 07:31:14 PM »

That's like the logo of Team Shanghai Alice though.

About the kanji for Touhou. I know combining kanji is a thing in japan, could this be done with those two kanji?

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
Agreeing with 'Team shanghai Alice'. Touhou is, after all, the only thing ZUN produces.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

aListers

• Vocaloid for the win!
  • Gensokyo forever!
    • Newgrounds
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:19 PM »
I've been trying to figure out how to represent touhou when I'm customizing things but I've found nothing. The kanji for touhou is the closest thing to it and it's pretty much the only thing I can use. Anything else people use is more representive of 1 character rather than the game.
???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era.

Been good talking to you all. Gensokyo gu braith!

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 10:02:52 PM »
Every splash screen has Touhou Project written on it (either in white or black). I see that as the logo of Touhou.  :V

Tengukami

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:15:44 PM »
*~<☯東‿方☯ >~*

Or this.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Imosa

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:42:14 AM »
Agreeing with 'Team shanghai Alice'. Touhou is, after all, the only thing ZUN produces.
That's a bit of a cop out. The two are separate things, otherwise there wouldn't be a distinction. I don't think I'm playing a game by Team Shanghai Alice, and I don't think I'm playing a game made by ZUN. I think I'm playing Touhou. Perhaps its a bit of a philosophical point but I think its an important one.

Kirnis

• Waning crescent moon
  • Raaaaawr
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »

Seriously, I don't know written Japanese at all, but I instantly recognize these two symbols. If that would be a banner I'd stand by it.

I feel the same about that

Or the blue power up

Never, oh! never, nothing will die; the stream flows, the wind blows, the cloud fleets, and the heart beats
Nothing will die.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 10:49:27 PM »
Or the blue power up

That's what I was gonna suggest. Or maybe a bomb item.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:51 AM »
*Touhou kanji*
I've seen it used quite a bit in non-Touhou Project discussions in both Japanese and Korean (albeit often as 동방 on the latter), so this won't work too well.

Or the blue power up
I like this idea, bomb, or power-up items, actually.

Alternate idea - Yin-yang orb with Reimu's bow behind it.
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »
I've seen it used quite a bit in non-Touhou Project discussions in both Japanese and Korean (albeit often as 동방 on the latter), so this won't work too well.

I know those kanji just mean "east" and are used as such, but there's nothing wrong with using usual words as an emblem. For example, one of the most recognized symbols of Doom games, both new and old, is, well, a stylized word "DOOM". Given that 東方 is a part of a name of each game (and most other official material), and is seen on every title screen and ingame GUI, I think it's something that is common enough for the series and is worthy to be its symbol.

Tengukami

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 04:12:02 PM »
Or take the words TIME and LIFE for example. They are the logos of their respective publications.