Author Topic: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages  (Read 170328 times)

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
Re: Possibly-crazy stuff you didn't notice for ages
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
It's not something that I didn't notice, per se but I am assuming the 'Dead Parrot" message that appears when you or your opponent is defeated in PoFV is a reference to the Monty Python skit, Dead Parrot.

"She's passed on! This youkai is no more! She has ceased to be!  She's expired and gone to meet her maker! She's a stiff! Bereft of life, she rests in peace! If you hadn't bombed her with your last spellcard, she'd be pushing up the daisies! Her metabolic processes are now history! She's off the twig! She's kicked the bucket, she's shuffled off her mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-YOUKAI!!"

« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2010, 10:27:28 PM »
Nazrin is like 1000+++ years old, commands mice similarly to Tewi/rabbits and has been a left-hand of Bishamonten for who knows how long. It's probable that Nazrin was sealed away with the rest of the crew during this time anyways, since said "dream" took place before SA.

Quickie correction:  As far as I recall, Shou was never sealed away (which is necessary for her to be able to find out how to unseal Byakurin in the first place.  Finding out how to do so would have been difficult had Shou been sealed away for all that time as well), so Nazrin, being Shou's watcher and minion, was likely not sealed away too.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #332 on: September 02, 2010, 01:14:34 AM »
Shou was never sealed away
This is confirmed. Her profiles says that she continued work for the Bishamonten

so Nazrin, being Shou's watcher and minion, was likely not sealed away too.
of course I would agree with that
However, a quick search of canon material did not return any info about it.

Drake

« Reply #333 on: September 02, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »
mukyuu
むきゅー
六九

patchy's favorite obv

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #334 on: September 02, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
of course I would agree with that
However, a quick search of canon material did not return any info about it.

Yea, nothing in the canon confirms or denies whether or not Nazrin was sealed away.  In my own personal opinion, it isn't very likely though (but again, nothing's confirmed)

Interestingly enough, nothing's confirmed that Nazrin even gives a rat's arse about Byakurin in general.  In fact, unlike the rest of Byakurin's supporters, who for the most part are innocent and quite confused when accused of things by the heroines, Nazrin even makes it quite clear that she's still happy to eat humans today (or at least, have her mice eat them).  For Murasa, one of the heroines can't come up with anything to accuse her about besides the simple fact that she's a youkai (to which Murasa replies with the obvious defense that there's nothing she can do about THAT)

For all we know, Nazrin could conceivably just be a youkai who does the typical youkai things (such as say, terrorizing and eating humans) in her spare time, when she isn't carrying out orders from Shou or Bishamonten, and is only supporting Byakuren simply because of Shou's orders.

Again, there's nothing official to confirm that, but there's nothing official to even imply the opposite, either.  If anything, Nazrin's willingness to eat humans sets her quite apart from the other dialogues in MOTF.

It also causes an interesting ladder, where the 1st stage boss is a typical youkai in Nazrin, the second stage boss is rather youkai-ish but only eats some human spirit instead of eating actual human, the next two youkai haven't really done anything bad to humans at all, the next youkai after that actually works with humans to the point that she's a substitute god for them, and the final boss wants to help usher in equality between humans and youkai.  In Nazrin's case, a particularly interesting fact is that it's Nazrin, one of Byakuron's crew (or is she?), and not Kogasa, who's at the bottom of that ladder of human-youkai relations (since Nazrin and her mice are implied to actually EAT humans, which is a lot worse than just scaring them!).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 03:18:00 PM by Tiamat »

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
    • The Grass Feels Like Pants
« Reply #335 on: September 02, 2010, 05:09:56 PM »
This may just be a personal thing, but Nazrin's Gold Detector seems a hell of a lot easier than Rare Metal Detector.

Then again, since Earthlight Ray's apparently less awful on... Hard? It may not be too crazy for Gold Detector to be somewhat easier...

Marin The Magus

• The magician of dimensional dreams
  • Energetic Satorin~ Shougorori~
« Reply #336 on: September 03, 2010, 07:50:56 PM »
Dunno if this's been posted before but I've never noticed the boat's shadow on the first stage of UFO.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #337 on: September 03, 2010, 07:54:21 PM »
Dunno if this's been posted before but I've never noticed the boat's shadow on the first stage of UFO.

... That's gonna bug me until I see it.

Drake

« Reply #338 on: September 03, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
play ufo, wait a few minutes

omg!!!!

Marin The Magus

« Reply #339 on: September 03, 2010, 08:16:55 PM »

... That's gonna bug me until I see it.

play ufo, wait a few minutes

omg!!!!

Kay, are you kiddin' me?

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #340 on: September 03, 2010, 08:20:16 PM »
Quote from: ZUN on MS stage 6 theme
Final Stage
This song is just for a stage to let you
get some more items before the boss, so it's short.
Actually, I wanted to try to do this with just a
heartbeat sound, but this isn't that kind of
game *g*

Hah

Marin The Magus

« Reply #341 on: September 03, 2010, 08:49:13 PM »
I've never noticed this:
Sakuya- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Youmu- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Reisen- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Komachi- Second-to-last boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game. (well, in 10.5, whatever)
Sanae- Fifth stage boss. She re appears again...in UFO. (well, almost)
I knew that the fifth stage bosses re appeared, but I didn't realized this until a while...

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #342 on: September 03, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
I've never noticed this:
Sakuya- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Youmu- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Reisen- fifth stage boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game.
Komachi- Second-to-last boss. She re appears as a playable chracter in the next game. (well, in 10.5, whatever)
Sanae- Fifth stage boss. She re appears again...in UFO. (well, almost)
I knew that the fifth stage bosses re appeared, but I didn't realized this until a while...

... Rin or Shou for Touhou 13/12.9?

Marin The Magus

« Reply #343 on: September 03, 2010, 09:05:38 PM »
... Rin or Shou for Touhou 13/12.9?
(probably xD)

...YAY! CATS!!

What if Satori met Shou O_o?

Zerro

• ERRORS,
  • ERRORS EVERYWHERE
« Reply #344 on: September 04, 2010, 12:16:02 AM »
I just noticed the little cloud things that appear after you beat/fail miserably  Hourai Elixir can be "pushed" around by your character.
Life's a shmup, play on lunatic.

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2010, 01:18:47 AM »
What if Satori met Shou O_o?

Speaking as someone who is apparently Satori and didn't know about it until, like, the other day: I'd take Shou. :V

Sorry, Rin!

Also, since my only experience with Murasa is via DS, I /just/ noticed that her anchor has a giant bullet lodged in the center, which is possibly its hitbox!

Marin The Magus

« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2010, 05:51:02 AM »
Speaking as someone who is apparently Satori and didn't know about it until, like, the other day: I'd take Shou. :V

Sorry, Rin!

Please...Cut the crap, I know you are Satori  ??...
And yeah, Shou is much better.

I didn't realize that there was a (unrecognizable- to me. I don't know what the hell it is!) shadow at the beginning of the games (from th 6 - 9, I think)

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2010, 06:30:08 AM »
... if that's what I think it is, then I /want/ to say it's one of the characters in that game's shadow.

I could be thinking about the games' cases, though.

« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
its the game's Final Boss w/ the exception of EoSD and PCB

Myschi

• cawcawcawcaw
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »

That's what I thought. Wasn't EoSD's shadow Flandre and... ... Yukari...? for PCB?

« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2010, 06:14:10 PM »
Yep

« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2010, 09:09:26 PM »
I found out Reimu has a turtle  :D Tho I think most people know that...  ???
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 10:06:36 PM by K.K. »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2010, 09:10:39 PM »
Ok, im not 100% sure if this is right, tho I did my research, and found that Wriggle Nightbug is the only (somewhat important) character that doesent wear a skirt.

The Fujiwara girl would like to have a word with you.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #353 on: September 04, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »
The Fujiwara girl would like to have a word with you.

As would Rika.

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

« Reply #354 on: September 04, 2010, 10:05:06 PM »
As would Rika.
Crap, I guess I did forget some people, Still wonder how I missed that tho...

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2010, 10:08:11 PM »
In fairness, Rika is given pants in fan depictions. Her official art is pretty vague as to what she wears below the waist.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Marin The Magus

« Reply #356 on: September 05, 2010, 12:44:29 AM »

NOT THAT ONE >.<
When the game begins, there is a image that has a message that says "This game is a curtain fire shooting game. Girls do they best..." And in the right side there is a shadow and it's always the same in every game.

Captain Onimaru

« Reply #357 on: September 05, 2010, 04:37:04 AM »
MIDI themes.
That's right, I never even noticed them untill I took apart several of the games with brightmoon and found the files in there. Of course I started freaking out about this sudden discovery only to feel like a moron once I learned that everyone knew about it.

Marin The Magus

« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2010, 04:38:26 AM »
Yukari's parasol has a thing similar to Flandre's leviathan in the top. At first, I thought it was the same. Now I'm not sure...

Drake

« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2010, 07:34:23 AM »
NOT THAT ONE >.<
When the game begins, there is a image that has a message that says "This game is a curtain fire shooting game. Girls do they best..." And in the right side there is a shadow and it's always the same in every game.
EoSD there is no shadow.
PCB has a bunch of hand shadow puppets.
IN has the exact same shadow puppets, but mirrored and on the left.
PoFV has no shadow.
MoF has weird blotches of blackness that have no inherent shape. SA, UFO and DS have the exact same shadows at different intensities, which is kind of interesting but there isn't anything significant about them and isn't really worth noting at all.
GFW doesn't have shadows.