Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!  (Read 212386 times)

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!
« Reply #630 on: November 23, 2013, 09:44:17 AM »
Those comments imply that Patchouli actually has no idea what she's doing.

It doesn't matter whether Patchouli has any idea what she is doing. What matters is Eirin thinks the idea is sound.

Absolutely no part of it is designed to pierce the Lunar barrier. It's just an object that flies towards the moon

What I am reading there is that the implication is if you build a rocket to go to the fantastic moon(real), then you will go there. If you build a rocket to go to the outside world's moon(fake), then you go there.

Patchouli builds her rocket based on the previous reasoning, not based on the outside world, which is why the rocket will make it to the true moon. She also took into account of the timing, as the lunar capital is only available during the full moon. But that information was given to her by someone.

She did mention something about timing it to arrive on the full moon on the next few pages though, which seems incredibly more relevant to this discussion.

Yes, she did, but the latter part is talking about how it needs to be during the full moon because of some active barrier. The earlier part talks about how to reach the fantastic moon, over the fake moon.

« Reply #631 on: November 23, 2013, 08:24:55 PM »
Yes, she did, but the latter part is talking about how it needs to be during the full moon because of some active barrier. The earlier part talks about how to reach the fantastic moon, over the fake moon.

I think you're confused. The fake moon only existed for one night, during the events of IN. There is no fake moon anymore. There's the fantastic moon and the scientific moon, but neither are "fake". If anything, the fantastic one is more "fake" because of the nature of illusions and Gensokyo.

That said, yes, she can aim for the fantastic moon from Gensokyo, because in Gensokyo that's simply the moon they see in the sky. They look up at night and can confidently say to themselves "yup, that's where the moon people live" because Gensokyo is that sort of place. Ergo, they are already in the same plane of existence, the same level of reality, and nothing special needs to be done other than fly straight up until you reach it.

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #632 on: November 25, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »
Hey, it's me again!

What kind of cat youkai is Chen and Orin? What are the differences (if any) between this two?
Still waiting for a good sig. image

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #633 on: November 25, 2013, 05:34:13 PM »
Chen is a nekomata. Basically, just a usual housecat that lived extremely long, and because of that learned how to use magic and become human-like.

Orin is a kasha, native denizen of hell. They're known for carrying away corpses.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #634 on: November 25, 2013, 08:41:19 PM »
What can anyone tell me about Lian Fu Star Mine? Where does the name come from, does it have roots in anything canon, and was ZUN involved in its conception?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #635 on: November 26, 2013, 05:41:14 AM »
You mean the PSP game Nendroid Generation (that's its name; I don't know what "Lian Fu Star Mine" is, probably name of an attack from the game?). ZUN is not involved, though it must have gotten his permission to be made.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #636 on: November 26, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »
I don't know what "Lian Fu Star Mine" is, probably name of an attack from the game?
Yeah, it says that in the title and description, and you can see it being selected from the menu. ??? All I can make out of the name though is that "Star Mine" is in katakana and it's got a standard Touhou prefix of "Something Sign".
Link semi-related: best attack in that game.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 01:20:43 PM by Prime32 »

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #637 on: November 27, 2013, 10:48:23 AM »
Reimu and Marisa's combination attack:
連符「陰陽スターマイン」 Combination Sign "Yin-Yang Starmine"
The attack damages all enemies, and may cause the "tinnitus" status.

EDIT:
"Star mine/star mine" is a type of fireworks. In Touhou, it is used in Udonge's SWR spell card, Illusion Bomb "Myopic Fireworks (Mind Starmine)".

Probably due to Japan's love of fireworks, "starmine" is a somewhat popular word there, e.g. there are pop songs titled "Starmine", so it's not like this is a super obscure word that only ZUN would use. I also couldn't find any proof about him being involved with the game. These, among other things, seem to indicate this spell card is non-canonical.

BTW, this reminds me of the one very special semi-canonical spell card, ZUN's contribution to the doujin artbook "Touhou Last Word Collection": 夢符「幻想一重」 Dream Sign "Gensou Hitoe".

Gensou = "fantasy". There is a phrase in Japanese, 紙一重 kami-hitoe "(separated by) a sheet of paper", i.e. a tiny difference, a fine line. So the name of the spell card can be understood as, "what separates fantasy and reality is as thin as a sheet of paper".
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:17:31 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #638 on: December 09, 2013, 05:36:47 AM »
Is there any way to get a quick breakdown of the newer characters' personalities and abilities? I'm looking for the most widely, generally-accepted portrayals of the characters from Ten Desires(and their names/descriptions because HO BOY AM I BEHIND ON THE TIMES), and possibly the ones from the latest fighting game. The dullahan, werewolf, and mermaid would be appreciated too, but aren't critical for what I'm looking for.

« Reply #639 on: December 09, 2013, 06:37:26 AM »
Is there any way to get a quick breakdown of the newer characters' personalities and abilities? I'm looking for the most widely, generally-accepted portrayals of the characters from Ten Desires(and their names/descriptions because HO BOY AM I BEHIND ON THE TIMES), and possibly the ones from the latest fighting game. The dullahan, werewolf, and mermaid would be appreciated too, but aren't critical for what I'm looking for.

I think the only thing that canonically exists for them so far is their profiles and their dialogue from Double Dealing Character. So all you really have to do is go read up the conversations and profiles on the wiki and that's it. Should only take like, an hour, tops, I think.

« Reply #640 on: December 09, 2013, 12:28:12 PM »
Is there any more info from the game about the phantoms surrounding Yuyuko? Well except that they sometime carry object for her.

Any idea where/when did this general portray of Hakurei Miko (supposedly Reimu mother) - popular fanart come from?
You know the one who generally seem like an adult version of Reimu Hakurei from many artwork.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #641 on: December 09, 2013, 01:13:38 PM »
I think the only thing that canonically exists for them so far is their profiles and their dialogue from Double Dealing Character. So all you really have to do is go read up the conversations and profiles on the wiki and that's it. Should only take like, an hour, tops, I think.

The taoists? In DDC? :v
Also who is the mask girl?

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #642 on: December 09, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »
Any idea where/when did this general portray of Hakurei Miko (supposedly Reimu mother) - popular fanart come from?
You know the one who generally seem like an adult version of Reimu Hakurei from many artwork.

The Hakurei Miko(先代巫女, shrine maiden of the previous generation) was originally a MUGEN character created by someone known as プレート.

Says http://dic.nicovideo.jp/a/先代巫女(mugen)

Doesn't matter too much, but the usual honorific for this プレート person seems to be 氏.
Signature

Zerviscos

• Infinite Bread Chewing Powers! Activate!
  • Om nom nom nom nom nom*
« Reply #643 on: December 09, 2013, 01:36:22 PM »
Is there any more info from the game about the phantoms surrounding Yuyuko? Well except that they sometime carry object for her.
Not that I know of. All I know they're a 100% necessity to her as she's always been with them even in official printed works. And also they don't carry object anymore after SWR.
Basically she's a Reimu-derived fan-made character that's in the game MUGEN. These fan-made characters are not uncommon, you should see Hakurei Meimu.

Twitter | Steam | Battle.net[Zerviscos#1833]

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #644 on: December 09, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »
The taoists? In DDC? :v
Also who is the mask girl?
There are no taoists in DDC.

Mask Girl is Hata no Kokoro, the only new character and last boss of Hopeless Masquerade. For her and all the new characters on DDC, there's really only the official profiles and dialogues, so it really wouldn't take long to read them. For the TD characters, just read their offical and the SoPM profiles. If Miko is proeminent in what you're writting/doing, read the Symposium part of the book too, it shows her personality quite well.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #645 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:20 PM »
There are no taoists in DDC.

Mask Girl is Hata no Kokoro, the only new character and last boss of Hopeless Masquerade. For her and all the new characters on DDC, there's really only the official profiles and dialogues, so it really wouldn't take long to read them. For the TD characters, just read their offical and the SoPM profiles. If Miko is proeminent in what you're writting/doing, read the Symposium part of the book too, it shows her personality quite well.

What is SoPM, and how do I get it (in english)?
Also yeah I found the right wiki page now wooo

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #646 on: December 09, 2013, 11:23:37 PM »
What is SoPM, and how do I get it (in english)?
Also yeah I found the right wiki page now wooo
Symposium of Post Mysticism. It's like the Perfect Memento book, for Mountain of Faith to Ten Desires. The titular Symposum is a debate between Kanako, Byakuren and Miko (with Marisa and Akyuu providing commentary) about many different things. You can find it in english in the wiki.

By the way, that same wiki also has the official profiles and story translations for all the characters/games.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #647 on: December 10, 2013, 12:50:17 AM »
Mask Girl is Hata no Kokoro, the only new character and last boss of Hopeless Masquerade. For her and all the new characters on DDC, there's really only the official profiles and dialogues, so it really wouldn't take long to read them.
Nah, they showed up in the manga as well.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #648 on: December 10, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Nah, they showed up in the manga as well.
Oh yeah, Kokoro did. She didn't have any lines though.

The DDC characters haven't appeared in the manga, though, have they? Unless it was in the as of yet untraslated chapters of WaHH and FS.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #649 on: December 10, 2013, 10:27:39 PM »
In many Tewi fanwork at the end of her sentence she add "USA" so what does it mean exactly?

There something I find a bit strange about Eiki Shiki profile "Age:   Immortal (Age is presently Unknown)"
Why put the word immortal near age in her profile?

EDIT: I can understand that technically speaking yamas can be considered as immortal but what does one being a immortal have to do with age? It does not really matter anyway.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 06:55:32 PM by Biakmon »

Fonzi

• Comfort from battles
  • Cheers from beers!
« Reply #650 on: December 10, 2013, 10:32:21 PM »
In many Tewi fanwork at the end of her sentence she add "USA" so what does it mean exactly?

There something I find a bit strange about Eiki Shiki profile "Age:   Immortal (Age is presently Unknown)"
Why put the word immortal just near age?

United States of America
It comes from the name of her species (rabbit = usagi)

To emphasize that it doesn't matter?

Esifex

• Though the sun may set
  • It shall rise again
« Reply #651 on: December 10, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »
The ~usa tic is like a ~de geso or ~ze verbal tic, or so I've always felt.

Shikieiki is the only notable yama that we deal with; technically Yamas are all immortal, and kind of a fact of the universe.

« Reply #652 on: December 16, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
i mean editing the various wiki pages on the subject, because that is very much a source of misinformation and confusion

Drake, if I may ask what exactly did you edit about the wiki pages of Eiki Shiki? Isn't it the same as before or did you mean edit the old touhou wiki?

Anyone knows if the touhou wiki about Eirin Yagokoro been changed recently?
Can the keys ( "X" for shoot become "D"...) in touhou game be configured?

Drake

« Reply #653 on: December 16, 2013, 08:09:20 PM »
i totally haven't done it yet sorry

Recent changes: You can look up the page's edit history from the page itself around the top-right.

Changing controls: Not in-game with the keyboard. Changing the buttons around is for sticks and other controllers. But if you want to remap keys you can do that using AutoHotKey (easily googleable).

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #654 on: December 17, 2013, 03:10:42 AM »
Oh yeah, Kokoro did. She didn't have any lines though.

The DDC characters haven't appeared in the manga, though, have they? Unless it was in the as of yet untraslated chapters of WaHH and FS.

Shinmyoumaru appears with a significant number of speaking lines in one of the untranslated Forbidden Scrollery chapters. She currently lives at Reimu's shrine in a small box, waiting for the mallet to recharge so she can increase her size again. Reimu bullies her for some information about tsukumogami.

« Reply #655 on: December 17, 2013, 03:29:03 AM »
Where are these RAWs?

A little talk about the Four Oni Devas.
Could it be that the 4th Deva is dead? You know, it might be the one who possessed the Lucky Mallet and got slayed by Issun.
We knew that each of them have their own magical item(Ibuki Gourd, Hoshiguma Dish, and maybe Ibaraki Medicine Box) and the Lucky Mallet certainly is one. Though since it doesn't have any name on it and it has nothing to do with booze, I'm probably wrong.

Drake

« Reply #656 on: December 17, 2013, 04:04:34 AM »
Could it be that the 4th Deva is dead? You know, it might be the one who possessed the Lucky Mallet and got slayed by Issun.
Very probably not. The stories themselves are completely unrelated. The remaining deva(s) would be either Torakuma or Kanaguma.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #657 on: December 17, 2013, 05:09:33 AM »
Very probably not. The stories themselves are completely unrelated. The remaining deva(s) would be either Torakuma or Kanaguma.
Yeah, I figured that it has to be related to the legend of Shuten-douji. Say, what connection do those two have? Care to elaborate?

« Reply #658 on: December 18, 2013, 11:05:30 AM »
- Has the 19th of Wild and Horned Hermit already been completely translated?
Touhou wiki - Sanae profile - Add Info - "Sanae talks with Kanako in the chapter 19th of Wild and Horned Hermit."

In chap 11th of CoLA Rinnosuke say the following: What if, after seeing the outside world, I couldn’t return to Gensokyo anymore? "Humans that are spirited away almost never have a chance to come back again." On the other hand, if I open my eyes believing this to be only a visual and auditory illusion, my thoughts wouldn’t cross the border and would be back to Gensokyo, but I could miss my chance to see the outside world.

- What did he meant by "spirited away"?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 08:09:36 AM by Biakmon »

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #659 on: December 18, 2013, 06:08:22 PM »
- What did he meant by "spirited away"?

In Touhou, it just means "disappearing from outside world and appearing in Gensokyo", mostly about humans. Yukari is said to be the one usually behind this.