Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!  (Read 212386 times)

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 4 - Bring us your Questions!
« Reply #450 on: September 27, 2013, 03:42:55 PM »
- Did Alice ever use her grimoire in the PC-98 game?
Yes. However, she has never used it in the Windows canon (at least, not explicitly). We only know it still exists because Marisa insists in the intro of "The Grimoire of Marisa" that she isn't copying Alice's grimoire, and it might not have the same properties. Sunny Milk did once mention something about "a magician with a grimoire that shines with seven colours of light", but in context she could be lying or misinformed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 03:53:03 PM by Prime32 »

« Reply #451 on: September 27, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »
- It's stated in PMiSS that she can do it, but only to the extent of moving things back to where they were before; "reversing" time can't, for instance, unbreak a broken cup or unburn a burnt house.

The full quote is probably more helpful:

Quote from: Hieda no Akyuu
Reversing time only has an effect to the extent that things that have been moved return to their original position. Effectively, you can say there is no reversing time.

So we can just say there is no reversing time. A nice simple answer. Moving something to a previous position is indistinguishable from simply stopping time and picking it up manually, which is kind of what I assumed Akyuu was talking about anyway.

Berzul

• (*7(*7(*7(*7(*7
  • Round face... z( ⌣ω⌣)z
« Reply #452 on: September 27, 2013, 07:22:02 PM »
I wish to know what song is this(I'm pretty sure is has something to do with touhou),

Drake

« Reply #453 on: September 27, 2013, 08:55:33 PM »
So we can just say there is no reversing time. A nice simple answer. Moving something to a previous position is indistinguishable from simply stopping time and picking it up manually, which is kind of what I assumed Akyuu was talking about anyway.
PMiSS seems to imply that all Sakuya can do while stopping time is move manually anyways, so it's easy to conclude that all she'd be doing is stopping time.

I wish to know what song is this(I'm pretty sure is has something to do with touhou),
...Where did you get this from? If you're recording your speakers' audio or something then clearly you have some sense of a source. From that clip there's no way to distinguish a Touhou arrange in particular unless someone has heard it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:58:19 PM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #454 on: September 28, 2013, 02:41:40 AM »
So I need to write a biography of someone in the career path I want.  So, me being me, I chose ZUN. So far the only good English sources I've found are touhou wiki and wiki wiki.  So now I ask you wonderful people if you know of any other good sources of information on ZUN short of the man himself, preferably in english though I can do japanese.
For what it's worth, there's a bunch of subbed interviews with him on YT, though they may have already been transcribed. Short of that, there's new material happening this weekend that could form a good backdrop for the bio.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MaJO

• master of karate and friendship
  • Only Rumia can do it better.
« Reply #455 on: September 28, 2013, 03:02:56 PM »
For what it's worth, there's a bunch of subbed interviews with him on YT, though they may have already been transcribed. Short of that, there's new material happening this weekend that could form a good backdrop for the bio.

This I am really interested in. Thank you.
This is the last time I buy weed from Tiny Pete.
This is the last time I buy shrooms from Tiny Pete.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #456 on: September 28, 2013, 05:57:22 PM »
It does not mean that she directly makes the wind blow and snow fall, but since she can enhance the winter that exists within nature, she can exhibit ridiculous powers which seem impossible for one youkai.
Aya: Wouldn't everyone be happy if you tried to stay active in summer and reduced the heat a little?
Letty: Oh, that's a good idea. Well, that's what I'd like to say, but I manipulate the cold. Don't confuse it with manipulating cold air like a certain fairy.
Aya: They sound similar to me...
Letty: Those fairies are just minor anomalies of nature. I, on the other hand, am a great youkai that lives in nature. When it's cold out, making it even colder is my greatest joy.

The "cold" vs. "cold air" thing is confusing. Is there another way those phrases could be translated? It sounds like the difference is "Cirno can create cold on a small scale, Letty can manipulate cold on a large scale but needs something to work with", so my guess would be "manipulating cold weather" vs. "creating frost"/"chilling the air".
Quote from: Original line for reference
あ、名案? って言いたいところだけどぉ、私は寒さを操るの。冷気を操るどこぞの妖精なんかと一緒にされても困るわ
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:03:40 PM by Prime32 »

« Reply #457 on: September 29, 2013, 04:15:15 AM »
Well the entire joke is that there doesn't seem to be any difference between "cold" and "cold air", even though Letty thinks hers is superior to Cirno's. That's why Aya follows it up with "They sound similar to me".

« Reply #458 on: September 29, 2013, 08:22:57 AM »
It seems to me like Letty requires there to be some cold before her abilities work. Cirno doesn't have such a requirement and even in hot days, Cirno's ability will work fine, while Letty's won't. However, Letty's ability is definitely much much more powerful than Cirno's.

« Reply #459 on: September 30, 2013, 07:11:12 AM »
- How can Yuyoko still retain a human shape appearance beside being a ghost? Did she make some sort of deal with Yama (a bit the Hieda family) or has it been said in the game how she can do it?

Does Yuyoko know that her human soul was used to seal the Saigyou Ayakashi, now in the current timeline?

- Is Marisa goal to become a full magician (like Alice or Patchouli) or does she plan to die like a regular human (old age)? Or Maybe both why not, if after all its Marisa we talking about:)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:20:19 AM by Biakmon »

Drake

« Reply #460 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
- Bourei are described in PMiSS to take the form they had while alive. All bourei we've seen take their human form. Tojiko just has ghost legs.
- It isn't said that she knows, but it's fairly possible that she realized it after the events of PCB.
- Marisa's goals aren't exactly solid. Usually she expresses that she wants to live a long-ish time and she gets temporarily attracted to "secrets" of long life; a lot of her character revolves around how short a human's lifespan is. She's against immortality, though.

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #461 on: September 30, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »
She's against immortality, though.
I'd say she's against the drawbacks of immortality. Marisa is a free spirit. Becoming a youkai magician means, well, becoming a youkai (who don't think the same way as humans), and she's not really cut out for becoming a hermit. If there was a way to become immortal which didn't interfere with how she lives her life (and didn't require eating someone's liver), she'd be all over it.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:23:00 PM by Prime32 »

« Reply #462 on: September 30, 2013, 03:42:27 PM »
Does Yuyoko know that her human soul was used to seal the Saigyou Ayakashi, now in the current timeline?

Well, the fact that her soul seals the Saigyou Ayakashi is stated in the latest version of the Gensokyo Chronicles (Perfect Memento. Possibly it was in earlier versions too but who knows?).  Given that the Gensokyo Chronicles are available to the public, Yuyuko would have to be pretty dense in order to have not found out that she's sealing the Saigyou Ayakashi by now.

.....on the flip side, Yuyuko can be pretty dense sometimes.

« Reply #463 on: September 30, 2013, 04:00:36 PM »
At which instance is Yuyuko being dense...?
Given how perceptive she's shown herself to be, it would be very weird if she haven't realized the fact about the Saigyou Ayakashi.

« Reply #464 on: September 30, 2013, 06:02:05 PM »
Well, one major problem is it's hard to tell if she's being serious or not, but there are several times in A Flower Blooming Violet and IaMP where Yukari's basically like "You know this already" and Yuyuko basically replies "Know what?"

Although again, it's hard to tell if Yuyuko's being serious or just trolling Yukari whenever she does it.

My own theory is that Yuyuko's incredibly perceptive but only when she actually cares about something.  Which, given her fickle personality and low (and sometimes seemingly random) attention span (she says she stopped caring about that body sealing the tree "just because." in one/some of PCB's endings, if I recall correctly) means that she can be really hit-or-miss on a lot of things. Yukari knows she's incredibly perceptive and thus assumes Yuyuko already knows lots of things, but Yuyuko's fickle personality and low (and random) attention span dooms even Yukari's assumption to be hit-or-miss, as well.  Well, that's how I see it.

Though again, with the tree being public knowledge, she probably knows about it.  I wouldn't be surprised if she randomly forgot and re-remembered it from time to time, though, given her personality. Though truthfully this memory/attention-span problem seems to apply to several old youkai.  Remilia and to some extent, Yukari and Rinnosuke, seem to exhibit it as well.  It's hard to tell if Remilia's trolling too sometimes, but we get to see things from Rinnosuke and Yukari's perspectives and honestly, their memories are kinda wonky sometimes.

....now I wish we got to see a narrative written from Yuyuko's point of view.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 06:11:36 PM by Tiamat »

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #465 on: September 30, 2013, 07:04:49 PM »
Perfect Memento. Possibly it was in earlier versions too but who knows?.
Probably not, considering that, before the events of PCB, the only way that someone from Gensokyo could meet Yuyuko is if they died and were sent to the Netherworld.

....now I wish we got to see a narrative written from Yuyuko's point of view.
it'd be nothing but food metaphors
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #466 on: September 30, 2013, 07:14:21 PM »
Probably not, considering that, before the events of PCB, the only way that someone from Gensokyo could meet Yuyuko is if they died and were sent to the Netherworld.

Is that true? since the creation of Gensokyo, PCB is the first time that anything happens in the afterlife? I find that very hard to believe. Could it be that Reimu, and other characters knew Yuyuko existed before PCB, but just didn't talk about her?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #467 on: September 30, 2013, 07:43:15 PM »
Considering that Yuyuko had to open a pathway between the Netherworld and Gensokyo herself, considering that none of the protagonists shows any familiarity whatsoever with her or Youmu in PCB, and considering that Akyuu herself stated that it was only recently that a hole between the two places opened, yeah, I think it's very safe to say that, other than Yukari and other ghosts, no one from Gensokyo had any contact with the Netherworld before PCB.

It's not the first event that affects the afterlife, no; the Ghost Emigration Project happened after the Hakurei Border's creation, for instance. But its effects were worldwide. I see absolutely no reason for why Yuyuko would've interacted with Gensokyo before the events of PCB.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:51:11 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #468 on: October 01, 2013, 07:38:44 AM »
it'd be nothing but food metaphors

I wouldn't say just food metaphors, I would say metaphors in general.

Is that true? since the creation of Gensokyo, PCB is the first time that anything happens in the afterlife? I find that very hard to believe. Could it be that Reimu, and other characters knew Yuyuko existed before PCB, but just didn't talk about her?

As Sagus has mentioned, yes, that is most likely the case. None of the characters, barring Yukari, Akyuu, Komachi, and a few others, would have interacted with Yuyuko prior to the events of PCB. I think Youmu may have interacted with the human world from time to time prior to the events of Perfect Cherry Blossom, but I am unsure of this.

That said, even after the events of PCB, it is not easy to reach the Netherworld and there are very few people who go there. The only ones that go there are the Touhou characters and not regularly. Yuyuko also rarely visits the human world even after the events of PCB.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #469 on: October 02, 2013, 04:22:07 AM »
Did Shinki burn down all of Makai to get at Reimu? Since I think there's no dialogue that confirms or denies this, I've always assumed it to be a fan theory. It's my guess also, but do we know?

Zil

« Reply #470 on: October 02, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »
No. Where do you even get that idea.

Drake

« Reply #471 on: October 02, 2013, 06:55:52 AM »
the background changing as the fight goes on

yeah

« Reply #472 on: October 02, 2013, 06:59:23 AM »
Any idea how large is the Hakurei Shrine?
Could Marisa had already started living on her own before the events of the PC-98 games?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #473 on: October 02, 2013, 11:22:48 AM »
Any idea how large is the Hakurei Shrine?
The main building doesn't seem to be that big, and as far as can tell it combines the oratory and the place where the god is enshrined for some reason, but it's grounds keep getting larger every time Zun wants to add something in it. It has a pound somewhere in the back (if we can take his answer to the "where's Genji" question seriously), a storage, a Moriya branch shrine, and at least one tree garden.

Could Marisa had already started living on her own before the events of the PC-98 games?
Maybe? She was already using magic, after all. But there's no indication for or against it, and it's PC-98, so... I mean, I doubt Zun had already thought about Marisa's backstory back then.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:49:21 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Alcoraiden

• Do not go gentle into that good night
« Reply #474 on: October 02, 2013, 02:15:30 PM »
No. Where do you even get that idea.

To be honest, I'm not sure where I first heard the statement, but the logic was that from the nasty red glow and the background change, it seemed as if Makai was on fire or somehow being destroyed near the end of the fight. The Touhou Wiki also labels that picture as "Makai on fire." This could also be intepreted as "Shinki damaged the battlefield" rather than something so extreme. Granted, she could just recreate Makai later, so I'm not sure whether she does or doesn't has any impact on the long-term state of things.

« Reply #475 on: October 02, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Anyone knows the touhou song that was played at 18:22?

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JtspM-hlXc

Drake

« Reply #476 on: October 03, 2013, 01:43:12 AM »
It's an arrange of Luna Dial from M?gico Cat?strofe by Shibayan Records. Vocals by Ranco.

(I was on a wild goose chase for half an hour trying to remember where it was from because the only thing I listen to from Ranco anymore are Sally's albums. At some point I was like "wait duh this isn't rock")

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #477 on: October 03, 2013, 05:46:56 AM »
Yukari's 'Danmaku Barrier'.
Did the concept come from some other game, or is ZUN the first person to make this kind of pattern?
Signature

Drake

« Reply #478 on: October 03, 2013, 06:10:17 AM »
It really depends what you mean. He definitely didn't invent the concept of bullets surrounding the player and closing in, and he definitely didn't invent the concept of puzzle STG. He even made Maze of Love before this.

Ozzy

• Veteran Danmakufu Scripter
  • Currently working on a full Touhou fangame!
« Reply #479 on: October 03, 2013, 06:50:35 AM »
On a similar note, does anyone know the arrange that plays here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=4JtspM-hlXc#t=1212 ? I fear this clip may be too short for anyone to recognize.