Author Topic: Most epic (or longest) comics?  (Read 6419 times)

Most epic (or longest) comics?
« on: January 20, 2016, 02:55:08 AM »
The longest Touhou comic I have read completely is "Let's Play Resident Evil" at about 700 pages. (http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/3881, http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=18134777)

I think the longest fan comic is "Hang in There Kogasa-chan" with almost 2000 pages, and it is still ongoing. (http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/2420, http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=170)

Any other note-worthy epics out there?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:41:03 AM by ImpulseEye »

Ps

• Hiding from LoLK spoilers
Re: Most epically long comics?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:01 AM »

Any other note-worthy epics out there?

(inb4 this gets merged to the misc. questions thread)

I was going to link a list of Danbooru's Touhou pools sorted by length, but the forum software choked on the brackets in the URL. Oh well.

Tani Takeshi's almost-daily 4koma (Danbooru, Pixiv) is also nearing 2000 strips. It features an odd variety of elongated, limbed yukkuris which aren't inhibited by common sense. I love this comic's weird sense of humor; it was the healing I needed after discovering creepy yukkuri abuse comics, and caused me to like yukkuris again instead of hating and fearing everything about them.

Orange Jelly's "Touhou Tag Dream" manga (Danbooru (NSFW), Pixiv (NSFW)) is also pretty long: over 1000 pages before coming to an abrupt hiatus (in the middle of a fight no less). The story revolves around a wrestling championship organized by Yukari after she reads too much Kinnikuman. (I have it marked NSFW for some steamy onsen scenes and suggestive pin positions.) One of my favorite parts about this series is how
Spoiler:
even after characters are defeated, they don't disappear for good; they're given another role to play in the event
. This comic was actually one of my first experiences with Touhou (alongside IOSYS and Colonel Aki's "Life of Maid") and shaped my views of the characters for a long time (for better or worse). I still think of Suwako as a badass.

Probably the most "epic" Touhou doujin I've ever read was Tohonifun's "Yukari VS Ran" series (altogether around 380 pages). It establishes a backstory for Yukari by deviating pretty far from canon while still hitting Gensokyo's major historical events. I feel this work is epic both in the sense that it's about the adventures of a legendary figure, and also because it features some pretty intense brawls.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:03:19 PM »
(inb4 this gets merged to the misc. questions thread)

Nah, this seems like more of an open discussion/recommendations thread, which is exactly the kind of post that doesn't belong in Miscellaneous Questions.

As far as the topic goes, I'm afraid I don't have any epically-long Touhou fan manga to recommend, but I'm a big fan of the highly NSFW Gensoukyou Shippo Kitan series, which is fairly long.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but it's one of the first Touhou fan comics I recommend to people who are new to the concept.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Silent Harmony

• Everybody needs the Pharmarcy
  • Justice never dies!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:19 PM »
I think the longest fan comic is "Hang in There Kogasa-chan" with almost 2000 pages, and it is still ongoing. (http://danbooru.donmai.us/pools/2420, http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=170)

Note that the title is really "Hang in there Kogasa-san". See below for why I point that out.

Nah, this seems like more of an open discussion/recommendations thread, which is exactly the kind of post that doesn't belong in Miscellaneous Questions.

As far as the topic goes, I'm afraid I don't have any epically-long Touhou fan manga to recommend, but I'm a big fan of the highly NSFW Gensoukyou Shippo Kitan series, which is fairly long.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for but it's one of the first Touhou fan comics I recommend to people who are new to the concept.

I'll be honest. Of all the Touhou fan series I'd expect you to recommend, that was not one of them  :blush: (assuming you're not trolling, but that would be even more unlikely for you).

For me, my favorite epic was Morino Hon's "Omoito" series (Danbooru), which focuses on a sentient Hourai (which itself is nice because everyone focuses on Shanghai). The first 2.5 chapters are pretty slice-of-life, but after that it is an epic mix of drama and danmaku with a touching ending.

Other good ones are the actual "Hang in there Kogasa-chan" by Yuzuya99 which is a cute fanon-heavy look at Gensokyo. Usually fanon is not my cup of tea, but it's so cute I give it a pass. Also Warugaki's series of Kogasa comics (1, 2, 3). are a perfect example of his over-the-top humor and gorgeous art.

1CC List (all shmups)
League of Legends / Battle.net: Harmony11(#1694)

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:13:56 AM »
I was going to link a list of Danbooru's Touhou pools sorted by length, but the forum software choked on the brackets in the URL. Oh well.

Silly me; didn't look very carefully at the pools search page. Here we go. Not sure what you mean about brackets, as I don't see any.  ???

On another note, I would consider Assassin's Creed ⑨ epic in a different sense. Amazing cover art.
(Kind of stuck though since the Danbooru translators stopped right at the point where
Spoiler:
we find out Sakuya killed Remi and wants to team up with, or at least peaceably non-interfere with, Cirno
. )
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:50:37 AM by ImpulseEye »

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
I'll be honest. Of all the Touhou fan series I'd expect you to recommend, that was not one of them  :blush: (assuming you're not trolling, but that would be even more unlikely for you).

Ha, no, not at all trolling here. I find the artwork in that pool to be at once disturbing and beautiful. They were clearly drawn with a kind of loving care that, given the subject matter, makes the art all the more unsettling in a nicely chilling way.

On the lighter side, I also have to recommend My Memories Of Playing Touhou by Shino. Again, not "epically long", but probably the best self-insert fan manga I've ever seen.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
Again, not "epically long", but probably the best self-insert fan manga I've ever seen.

I modified the thread subject for clarity and to make it more general. In retrospect, kind of a vague sentiment: epic and long aren't really the same thing. Guess I should have just called it "interesting fan comics", no?

Also kind of epic, in terms of the political intrigue:

Eastern Bloc Project: In Gensokyo, Danmaku Dodges YOU! (Danbooru)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Most epic (or longest) comics?
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:31:26 AM »
Well if it's just interesting comics you're interested in, here are my favorites:

Touhou 4koma by Setz is very unique both in art style and content because the artist is from Finland. It's not very narrative, but many of the jokes are great and the art is very interesting. Setz doesn't draw Touhou as much any more, but he still posts stuff from time to time. He also wrote a narrative doujin with a similarly unusual European twist that I like a lot.

Touhou Party Barrel by Karaagetarou is fantastic. Karaage is the absolute best thing that's ever happened to the Touhou fandom in my opinion. His stories and art are excellent and absolutely unique. His 4komas are funny and adorable, and if you like those definitely check out his narrative doujins because they're stupendous. Karaage's books are the only doujin comics I regularly import.

I just finished reading SexuAlice by Sei earlier today and liked it quite a lot. It's sort of NSFW (I don't think there's actually anything explicit in it, but basically all of the humor is sex-based) and it tends to lean too hard on the same few jokes, but I like the artist's style a lot and it remains mostly funny throughout despite a lot of repetition. There's a running gag involving
Spoiler:
Reimu masturbating herself to death, including by using the Sword Of Hisou and the Hakkero as masturbation aids with fatal results
that has Sideshow Bob syndrome, where it repeats so many times that it stops being funny after a while, but then becomes hilarious when it just keeps on going after that. As an added bonus it looks like it recently started updating again after a hiatus.

Edit:
For more contemporary and at least semi-regularly updating fare, Hakurei-San's Leisurely Walk by Chamaji is a very good recent comic. It's a dialogue-free comic about a mellow Reimu who entertains a revolving door of youkai guests at her shrine and the art style is interesting. The artist draws each character with a different style of eyes, and some of them look pretty wild.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 04:41:15 AM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

Re: Most epic (or longest) comics?
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
Does this list include doujins? My personal favorite was Touhou Battle Royal. That shit hits right in the feels man. I highly recommend reading it. For the sheer epicness of it you should check out Tenco's Story. Not a actual storyline to speak of per se, but the artwork is on a whole other level. This is some seriously good stuff. You can check out Utsuho of the Void. That is a bit darker and depressing, but entirely worth it if you love a certain lil' oku. :3  Not exactly long, but you should check out Wi - Z - GARAGE's 30 series. Think of it like a touhou 300 parody, but only completely fucking awesome. Oh, and with guns. Many guns. :3 I know of some others, should you be interested enough.