Author Topic: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7  (Read 189966 times)

Re: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 10:23:12 PM »
Ugh. I failed so hard at UFO that its tough for me to keep my dinner from getting thrown up all over the place. I hate Byakuren so much that if i could end all wars on earth or remove UFO from existence, i would go with the latter.

Shou at least has a few shiny parts (and Murasa too). Everything else is just unfun torture. I don't care if its because of lack of practice or whatever it is, i'm suffering when playing this. I just confirmed what i already knew. Why am i such an idiot? I should instead use my time to find a game that doesn't blow ass!

I guess i'm just hoping that i can learn to appreciate the game and this post is the result of the frustration and dissappointment that is still at large in me. How can this game come from the same guy who made EoSD, IN, PCB, MoF and SA? I just don't get it.

Now please excuse that rant. Another thing i find odd is how some people somehow get decent at this without really being spectacular in the other games in the series... is that the magic of liking the game?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 10:28:34 PM »

This is the 3rd time that this is happened to me today. Damn laser walls. You could say that I should be macrododging them. Which works, until this last shot.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Hakkai

• Celestial
    • Touhou.net
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:45 PM »
Urgh, my laptop has been reformatted recently, i lost all my progression and high scores.
RRRRAGE.

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 10:46:44 PM »
Memorization is not skill.

The trouble with this statement is that Memorisation *is*, by itself, a skill that some people have and some people don't, whilst at the same time just because I know how every spellcard in Imperishable Night extra (for example) works, that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be able to dodge everything perfectly and clear the stage no bombs no deaths.

Let's take Ex-Keine's first and third cards as an example. The first card requires you to work out a way of getting through the blue bullets whilst allowing yourself room to stream the red ones afterwards, whilst the third one requires you to basically stream everything. Once you know what you're doing, both of these attacks should logically be irrelevant and require no brainpower; despite this, I still fail both of them on occasion because I tap slightly too hard, or I mess up my route, or an aimed bullet is a little faster than I gave it credit for.

Using an Ex card as an example is probably bad because Ex-Stages are more geared towards memorisation, so let's take a different example: Orin's Ghost Wheels. Reading this forum, the wiki, any guide, video or replay shows you how Ghost Wheels works, so there's no way you can randomly just get trapped by it. But the Hard / Lunatic versions are still formidible, requiring you to make pixel-precise dodges whilst keeping track of the wheels and whilst trying to get damage through: multi-task or die.

The reason Touhou is so appealing to me as a challenge is because you can work out how an attack works, but you still need to have actual skill to dodge the bullets.
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 11:27:45 PM »
Did some more UFO practice, so here's another case of

Kogasa spells, Ichirin, Murasa nonspells, Murasa's second and survival spells, Shou WTF is this crap? :ohdear:

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 11:37:22 PM »
I died, like, 5 times on Kanako and barely 1CC'd it.

One of those deaths was when Mountain of Faith was about to clear.

I do so well on the difficult spellcards that my mind begins to completely blank out on the easier ones.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 04:01:49 AM »
[13:57] <Baity> gdi, almost did a perfect 5-8 run
[13:57] <Baity> aya's head didn't get in the photo for the last shot and caused my score to plummet
[13:59] <Baity> FFFF
[14:00] <Baity> http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=468&u=12803292 3 frames too slow
I don't think any more needs to be said.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Pai!

• Unintentionally Amusing
  • A Dissonant Serenity Assasin
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:50 AM »
IN. Final B. Kaguya's Last card. 1/2 inch of health left. Last life, one bomb. So close to my first 1cc.

I sneeze.

Game over.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2010, 03:30:23 PM »
My body tends to freeze up partially when a sneeze is coming, so even if I don't sneeze, when one is coming, I can lose lives in Touhou like no one else...

Actually, that kept me from getting to Yuyuko on Hard in PCB. Usually I can make it to any of her last 2-3 cards(Cept for Ressurection Buuterfly) consistanly, then die and run out of continues. This time I lost my last life(continues counted) to my favourite Youmu Card, Deva Realm Sword ~Seven Sins~, all because I felt a sneeze coming... for 2 minutes. The sneeze somehow let me cap Human Realm Sword ~Approaching Disillusion~ or w/e the card is on Hard though so it's a silver lining. But it also makes me rage a bit, I capped the one card thats the biggest train-wreck for me on Stage 5 Hard, yet I couldn't beat the stage! FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 03:58:53 PM »
First time playing PCB Lunatic in 2 weeks, forgot how to do the stages, forgot how to play Chen, still lost only 1 life to her. Bombed everything Alice had as it was dying. Still got to S4 8)
Oh, forgot to mention: i got so jumpy in stage 3 I bombed non-cards while they switched to spell cards because I got scared that easy.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:05:10 PM by Van★Helion »

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 04:21:40 PM »
Four 1DNB attempts on Mountain of Faith Normal. While on one hand, this means a capture isn't too far off, dying with <15% left each time still sucks.

Spoiler:
Maybe I should actually call this an accomplishment *lol*

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »
This is a no bomb 1cc

SHUP UP, THIS IS A NO BOMB 1CC

...;_;

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2010, 06:51:22 PM »
SakuyaB in PCB is rubbish compared to the others. That is all.

what

Helion

• I am the very model of a scientist salarian
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »
what
Apparently higher damage and covers the screen with ease are rubbish qualities.

Though to his credit, with SakuyaB S4 becomes much more of a maker/breaker of 1ccs, especially if you screw up on Merlin's opener and enter a downward spiral.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:02:38 PM by Van★Helion »

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:52 PM »
She may be rubbish, but she's the only shottype that's even playable considering the others are even more rubbish.

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
She may be rubbish, but she's the only shottype that's even playable considering the others are even more rubbish.

what

« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2010, 07:32:57 PM »
I'm saying every shottype in PCB sucks and that SakuyaB is the best one. The only other one I would consider is SakuyA, and I haven't played using her since my first Phantasm clear.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 07:38:03 PM »
If a n00b like me can 1cc PCB Lunatic with MarisaA, then how is that shottype rubbish?
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 07:39:23 PM »
I'm saying every shottype in PCB sucks and that SakuyaB is the best one. The only other one I would consider is SakuyA, and I haven't played using her since my first Phantasm clear.
I know what you were saying.  I was just implying that you're completely wrong. :3

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:58 PM »

ReimuB and MarisaA are a billion times better than any Sakuya.

« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:13 PM »
Tried PCB Lunatic again. Game overed while trying to grab Alice's 1 up.

Continued

Die while nothing even touched me on Boss Alice.

*Said Fuck this game. Came to post here.*

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2010, 11:46:03 PM »
I find Reimu A and B as well as Sakuya A better then Sakuya B. Mainly because Sakuya B has a weird shot, it's hard for me to learn.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2010, 02:35:58 AM »
DSFJKSNADFKANFKASDNFKA

MoF Hard, No Focus.

Game over on Kanako's last noncard.

Wouldn't be so annoying if I hadn't been pressing the bomb button on the two deaths on the Rice card.

RRRGH

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »
ReimuB: She's still only a Stage 2 boss though.
:wikipedia:
I start blasting Ran, moving within the generous space between the bullets beating her 1st Non-spell with ease.

Then "Shikigami -Wizard Fox Thoughts-" starts up. I remeber reading in Ran quest or something similar that you should move little for that card, I see why, and I still somehow died to it. That was my last life as well. I lucked Chen, and I lucked my way to Ran, using every bomb on every life and getting to Ran with 0-0 Life-Bomb.

But based on what you guys have said, Wizard Fox Thoughts is really easy to cap... explain my failure on such an easy card then please. I almost capped it on my 1st try at it, 2 seconds longer and I would have capped it, maybe even a death-capture but still. My 2nd Extra Run worth mentioning and... FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU.jpg

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
Wizard Fox's Thoughts likes tiny movements.  And it isn't completely impossible to fail due to bullets spawning five pixels away plus input lag plus nerves.

It's basically a giant newbtrap.  Drake's TAS pretty much showed that it's impossible to beat without streaming it.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2010, 02:27:27 AM »
Wizard Fox's Thoughts likes tiny movements.  And it isn't completely impossible to fail due to bullets spawning five pixels away plus input lag plus nerves.

It's basically a giant newbtrap.  Drake's TAS pretty much showed that it's impossible to beat without streaming it.
I hear my way through that one.

History: 4/6

Otherwise this card would be bullshit since you can't even see where you're going once Ran starts to fire faster bubble shots.

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2010, 02:31:02 AM »
Now I'm raging at Radiance -Fox Tanuki Youkai Laser- I lucked my way through the entire stage, lucked my way to Fox Tanuki Youkai Laser, I get to the red lasers, and then... "what hit me...?"

Wizard Fox's Thoughts likes tiny movements.

I know, Reisen Quest or Ran quest or w/e basicly says that in the description for that card, if it shows up as an item at all :P

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2010, 02:45:03 AM »
Now I'm raging at Radiance -Fox Tanuki Youkai Laser- I lucked my way through the entire stage, lucked my way to Fox Tanuki Youkai Laser, I get to the red lasers, and then... "what hit me...?"
The way to make this card easy is to make Ran move in the direction opposite where you make her fire the bullets. Basically, start under and slightly to one side of Ran. Just after she fires but before she moves, dash to her other side so she moves away from the aimed shots, minimizing how many bullets you need to deal with (be sure to read for the lasers of course). Using this approach, shottypes like MarisaA can take this card out in 3-4 iterations (though I don't know which shottype you're using, so this range will probably be different).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

MysTeariousYukari

• Nomnomnom~
  • Hooray~
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2010, 02:50:19 AM »
ReimuB.

make Ran move in the direction opposite where you make her fire the bullets

I'ma let you finish, but, WHAT?! How? *incomprehensible shock/surprise/lack of understand* * Tears mind asplode

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2010, 02:56:53 AM »
I'ma let you finish, but, WHAT?! How? *incomprehensible shock/surprise/lack of understand* * Tears mind asplode

The direction that the boss moves is determined by which side of her you're standing on.  If you're to the right of them, they'll move right, and vice versa.  That's how it is with every Windows Touhou game except for EoSD and UFO, where boss movement is random.

Try it on Ex-Chen's opener, it's quite noticeable there (and makes it go much quicker if you can manipulate her movement well enough)