Author Topic: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7  (Read 189981 times)

Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7
« on: April 18, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
can i haz OP

Anyway, post your Touhou failures and rage moments here and all that jazz.

EDIT 3: I'm probably dwelling into opinion territory here but is it worth getting the other games?
Play Banshiryuu C67 so you can tell/show me how to beat all the patterns that I'm fucking clueless on

I highly recommend trying them all out and seeing if you like them.  They all play very differently from SG and from each other, but they're all pretty good.  And remember that Banshiryuu has two alternate versions(C67 and C74) and you should try out both of them.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:35:20 PM by Azinth »

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
Re: Touhou Bitching/Whining Thread mk. 7
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »
I wish SG worked properly on my computer as it seems really fun.  :(
And playing at 30 fps in the menu is kind of crap.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
Not really raging, but I should post more to let people know I am still playing.

I perfected Chen, yet died once to midboss Chen's non-spell, bombed her spell card, and bombed once more on the stage. o_O
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

jc_foster

• Learning the ways of the bomb
  • Specializing in idiotic deaths since 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 05:05:05 PM »
Yuugi! Quit making me burn up all my film on 6-7!

Going on 700 shots. Still haven't cleared it ....

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »
AUGH SSG NOOOOOOOO

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 06:35:13 PM »
6-7 is stupid, so you're not the only one that can't do it.

Okay, I did it with Hatate.

Failed a timeout of Kaguya's opener at 1 second left.

Still haven't gotten close to a Rising World capture again.

Hourai Elixir's final phase still hates me.

Failed more PoDD Hard and PoFV Lunatic attempts due to random BS. Still can't score worth crap on PoDD.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:50:43 PM »
Grrr... why must I insist on repeatedly moving INTO bullets, rather than staying still where they'd miss me, anyway? >.<

Pai!

• Unintentionally Amusing
  • A Dissonant Serenity Assasin
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 08:25:21 PM »
Grrr... why must I insist on repeatedly moving INTO bullets, rather than staying still where they'd miss me, anyway? >.<

It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one who this happens to :'D

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:25 PM »
Play Banshiryuu C67 so you can tell/show me how to beat all the patterns that I'm fucking clueless on

I highly recommend trying them all out and seeing if you like them.  They all play very differently from SG and from each other, but they're all pretty good.  And remember that Banshiryuu has two alternate versions(C67 and C74) and you should try out both of them.
Alright then.

On that note, I figured out the evil purple rings can be made "manageable" by... dashing unfocused before it starts, to misdirect the ring(s) away from the gap. That just leaves one attack. And I might have something for that. Other than that, I have ~20% chance of perfecting this form.

I wish SG worked properly on my computer as it seems really fun.  :(
And playing at 30 fps in the menu is kind of crap.
It took me 3 hours to figure out what was wrong. Playing fullscreen made either the game slow down when any bullets were on the screen, or when I fixed that, it made the game go "enemy and background graphics? what's that? :derp:

Solution: play windowed. D3D should be able to make this happen  :V

Now, let's see if I can work out how the hell the Stage 4 Boss is supposed to work out with some of those attacks.

Also, Lasers (Shot Type) suck.

AUGH SSG NOOOOOOOO
:3

EDIT: Alright, I got most of Stage 4 down.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:27:24 PM by Bai-tan »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

ark

• みょん
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 09:20:52 PM »
I don't understand why people find 6-7 hard?

Now EX-5 fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 09:34:36 PM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I tried UFO Hard today. I game overed on Ichirin's last card, of course, but continued. Had a disastrous run of the Stage but did okay on Ichirin herself. Got to Stage 4, I die a few times, but the massive amount of resources more than makes up for it. Out of nowhere, I get a perfect Murasa fight, despite it being only my second time even reaching her. I get onto Stage 5, die on Greatest Treasure and once on the stage, reach Shou 0/2.

Perfect battle. Completely blind. Captured fucking Vajra blind. Shou has half a second left on her health bar on Complete Clarification.

Suddenly the game freezes.

Two seconds go by.

Then it starts again without warning and I clip a bullet and game over because I'm not ready. What.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:37:27 PM by SenSageUn »

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:47 PM »
Still nobody to play IaMP with. *Sigh* whatever happened to those newbies? where they just trolling? =/

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
Blegh, I feel like I've completely forgotten how to play IN competently.  Stupid skill regression due to long breaks... -_-

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:59:43 AM »
It's so nice to hear I'm not the only one who this happens to :'D

ditto

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27:03 AM »
   <Naut>   640mil reimu b
   <Naut>   fucked up the ufos on stage 6
   <Naut>   lost three lives at the start of stage 5
   <Naut>   ended mid hijiri
   <Naut>   :(
   <Naut>   my nerves mang :(
   <Naut>   almost perfected shou, died only to complete clarification
   <Baity>   :<
   <Naut>   !!!
   <Naut>   Didnt save the FAWKING REPLAY
   <Baity>   i do that
   <Baity>   SO MANY FUCKING TIMES
   <Naut>   I would've cried at my three deaths before midboss nazrin stage 5 though
   <Naut>   I was beasted :(
   <Naut>   Could've gotten 800mil
   <Naut>   But I ruined the back and forth faries and fucked up the blue to carry after nue
   <Naut>   only got 150mil from stage 6
   <Naut>   rofl
   <Baity>   :V
   <Naut>   Oh and it was my first time passing murasa's third non
   <Naut>   wow why did I save this brb suicide
   <Naut>   didnt*

yep

EDIT: Why am I playing UFO today I clearly can't finish the damn game. UFO Lunatic no focus run. 5/0 entering Hijiri. I don't finish. Why didn't I bomb everything, you ask? Because I'm a fucking idiot.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:40:50 AM by Naut »

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 05:52:10 AM »
Who knows why the other thread was locked
Maybe because of post limit, I didn't check

So how do you explain a player who was just able to do this...

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8373

WOO HOO UFO system is so cool I never had this happen to me berfore har   har har

Yet the player manages to suck this bad?

EPIC FAIL

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8375
Godammit I wanna fight NUE already. I'm going to try again... maybe...

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

ark

• みょん
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:08 AM »
(Yeah, the other thread reached the post limit.)

I had pretty much the exact same problems today in UFO as you, except with ReimuA. (One of the times I reached Byakuren with 0/4; of course I died just before the end of her final attack.) Maybe I should try playing on Hard...

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »

So how do you explain a player who was just able to do this...

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=8373

WOO HOO UFO system is so cool I never had this happen to me berfore har   har har

EPIC FAIL

I'm totally watching this replay.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 02:28:56 PM »

EPIC FAIL

So this.
I can Perfectly run throught stages 1-3, get to 4 and epic fail. (Thought I can finally cap Sinker Ghost!)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
It's often said that's it's your fault when you die. I don't doubt that, it certainly happens enough to prove it. However, do these people ever take into account those attacks that actually wall you in randomly?

SA Stage 5 Hard, still trying to perfect it. I loosen my standards, if you can call them that, for playing this level, so I play through the whole thing to practice Orin, no matter if I die beforehand. After several playthroughs, I magically manage to perfect the stage again. Let's see how Orin goes. Perfect through 3rd nonspell, pulling off a clutch dodge midway. Perfect through Ghost Wheels of all things, finally recapturing it. Then Small Demon's Revival. Start off standard, go up left, hang near top, then go down a bit and wait to see what the bubbles have in store.

The fairies fired a completely solid wall of bubbles. And when I say it's solid, I mean they left literally no space for me to move through, they were spaced that well. It covered about a bubble's length left of center (mid-screen) to just shy of the right wall at the start, trapping me in the lower-right corner (the general area, if you can picture it). So I decide to wait a split second to see if it opens up somewhere, because I have no choice. It doesn't, and I die.

Now perhaps you can understand why I've been saying "randomness sucks" all this time (extreme randomness, anyway). Because it has potential to completely nullify any and all displays of skill, leaving the player at the mercy of a fucking random number generator. It's often the player's fault when he/she dies, but you tell me, how is anyone supposed to have seen a wall like that coming beforehand? Last I checked, no one here is clairvoyant. Bombing is out of the question, this is an attempt at a perfect run. And the way this card's supposed to be handled left me in no position to try outrunning the wall itself, never mind how much of the screen it already covered. The game left me no chance whatsoever. Even in other Touhou games this comes to mind - Remilia is a perfect example. It's because there's a decent chance of certain attacks throwing impossible walls that makes things much harder than they should be.

Sorry for ranting, but I had to get this off my chest.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Treasurance

• Now with 100% more Ban'd!
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:54 PM »
Stage 4 Reimu in LLS Lunatic. I mean, everything else is quite easy considering it's Lunatic...and then that one beast literally rapes you and leaves you with little resources for the last stages. That's what I'd call That One Boss.

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
Stage 4 Reimu in LLS Lunatic. I mean, everything else is quite easy considering it's Lunatic...and then that one beast literally rapes you and leaves you with little resources for the last stages. That's what I'd call That One Boss.
Y'know, LLS Reimu is hard, yeah, but I never had THAT much trouble with her.  There's a reason LLS is considered one of the easiest Lunatics.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Treasurance

• Now with 100% more Ban'd!
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
Yeah, LLS was the easiest to Lunatic 1CC, but Reimu is just so hilariously over the top. I mean, how the hell do you actually avoid her attacks? Now it's just about going through the fight with brute bombing force.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »
Solution: play windowed. D3D should be able to make this happen  :V

Tried this but it still slows down at moments to 40 fps and it remains at constant 30 fps during bosses.
Oh well, it's unlikely that I would have performed well on a windowed screen anyway.  :ohdear:

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
Now perhaps you can understand why I've been saying "randomness sucks" all this time (extreme randomness, anyway). Because it has potential to completely nullify any and all displays of skill, leaving the player at the mercy of a fucking random number generator. It's often the player's fault when he/she dies, but you tell me, how is anyone supposed to have seen a wall like that coming beforehand?

Memorization is not skill. If there wasn't a random factor in these games, any old shmuck with enough time on their hands could pass everything blindfolded without having any kind of reflexes, trajectory assessment or intelligent play. Simply having decent hand eye coordination and enough time on your hands will get you through the game? What is this, an RPG? The obvious argument to your walling statement is to train yourself enough to have the foresight to determine when bullets will wall you in. Unfortunately, the problem with walling the player in exists more in earlier games (mostly due to ZUN progressively getting better at design), but for the most part, in Touhou, you can avoid walls by having good enough foresight to determine when the bullets will surround you. Yes, the random numbers can make things harder or easier depending on a bit of luck, but if they weren't there games would be completely boring and dirty predictable.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
SakuyaB in PCB is rubbish compared to the others. That is all.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 08:52:48 PM »
Memorization is not skill. If there wasn't a random factor in these games, any old shmuck with enough time on their hands could pass everything blindfolded without having any kind of reflexes, trajectory assessment or intelligent play. Simply having decent hand eye coordination and enough time on your hands will get you through the game? What is this, an RPG? The obvious argument to your walling statement is to train yourself enough to have the foresight to determine when bullets will wall you in. Unfortunately, the problem with walling the player in exists more in earlier games (mostly due to ZUN progressively getting better at design), but for the most part, in Touhou, you can avoid walls by having good enough foresight to determine when the bullets will surround you. Yes, the random numbers can make things harder or easier depending on a bit of luck, but if they weren't there games would be completely boring and dirty predictable.
Any old shmuck with enough time on their hands could also fluke their way through Scarlet Meister if they played it enough times.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 08:54:42 PM »
Any old shmuck with enough time on their hands could also fluke their way through Scarlet Meister if they played it enough times.

That argument is valid for every spellcard in existance, I'm not sure why you brought it up. Memorizing non-random patterns would take far less time than lucking through everything.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
Yeah, LLS was the easiest to Lunatic 1CC, but Reimu is just so hilariously over the top. I mean, how the hell do you actually avoid her attacks? Now it's just about going through the fight with brute bombing force.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USW0ga7mBpU#t=3m51s

Tried this but it still slows down at moments to 40 fps and it remains at constant 30 fps during bosses.
Oh well, it's unlikely that I would have performed well on a windowed screen anyway.  :ohdear:
Booooo~

RNG shenanigans vs. skill vs. memorization vs. (ry
I'm going to stay out of this one.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about getting rid of randomness altogether, only that it shouldn't get so crazy that there's no chance for survival without bombing. Indeed, walls of random bullets are more present in earlier games, but I wouldn't call your argument of "reading ahead" perfect either. It makes sense for most attacks, yes, but I mentioned in my skirmish with Small Demon's Revival that the bubbles started out as a wall that prevented escape, and never changed. Being able to read ahead on that requires that I know the bullet formation before it's even fired.

If you don't mind me switching gears slightly, I disagree with anyone that says memorization doesn't equal skill. True, static/micromem. attacks don't call for the same approach as ones with random elements, so they can't be lumped together under the same kind of "skill", but that doesn't make the former become stupidly easy (not always, anyway). Figuring out some static/micromem. attacks in the first place is a problem-solving process, and the player needs to devote the time and energy to learn such patterns without using resources. And considering the precision of movements called for in bullet hell games, I think it would still be wise to pay attention to what you're doing (i.e. not relying just on muscle memory) to make sure you're not unintentionally straying from whatever process you use to survive something. Again, I stress that this is quite different from what skill is normally applied for random attacks, but it's its own skill nonetheless.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.