Author Topic: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread  (Read 316964 times)

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
Re: Touhou Labyrinth discussion thread
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
Woah missed a lot, Time to add my cents.

Alice is a bit of a difficult fight due to some pretty clever goon set up, Take the left and right ones out before the center one. She won't do anything too shocking until they're gone, just sling some status effects for Hong to clean up. I'd reccomend having Patchy sling DOOM spells all the way on multi-hit- Only one of the goons has a physical spell, and you can probably get away with hoping it doesn't hit.

On 8F Join boss- Heres a hint, Its the same as one you already beat. The same tactics can apply to it. Mostly this is one of the fights you are glad you have Cirno for. Just remember the attacks from before, and prepare accordingly. Also, Hakurei Barrier spam. Helped me through the supposed 'time' battle.

The requirements for Yuyuko that Chen and Rumia supply aren't really all that bad. Its just a few battles for an event to go through properly. After that, you can atleast count Chen out for a bit. Rumia gets another point of EXTREME use on floor 15. Shes actually one of the few who can hurt an extremely annoying enemy type, and the one who can one-hit KO them first, consistently.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »
Alice gets stronger for each doll you take down.  I took down the healer, then spammed mass-target spells so that when the other two went down, Alice was already massively damaged.  Alternatively, take out the healer, and then focus on taking down Alice herself before her dolls.

Alice by herself is utterly destructive.  You won't know this 'till after, but some of her attacks target your DEF, not your MND - so it's perfectly possible for her, despite being a mage, to tear through characters like Patchouli or Minoriko.  It's actually better for you if she's busy spamming Silence attempts or other status effects on your party compared to getting torn through by Little Legion.
(PS: Silence wears off after 3-4 turns if it does get inflicted, so just use the time to Focus and recover SP)

...Also, as of 9F, the game just got officially hard.  Partially because of the rage-inducing bullshit fight with an optional boss there... but also, 10F and up have random enemies with god damn instant death moves.  I'm so damn happy I can cause it right back.

Also, for people's reference, a quick list of 'characters to get' by 10F - I won't spoil WHO, but just the recruit methods, and only for the optional ones, so you can make sure you don't miss anyone.  It's in order of when you can recruit em.

1F - A pretty easy boss fight from a scared girl.
1F - A speedster you had to find three times.
2F - Take a block of ice to get defrosted on 1F.
3F - A roving cloud of darkness.  Make sure to spot it on 1F and 2F first.
4F - Get a small quest on 2F, and take out minibosses that appear on 1F-4F.
5F - Collect lost notebook pages on 1F-5F (one each) and take em to a character on 2F.
5F - An otherwise unremarkable spring.  Return after a crapload of battles for a bossfight.
6F - Just find an event to be joined by someone here.
8F - Meet someone on 7F, and defeat four minibosses on 8F, then go back.
8F - Find an event involving Cirno on each of 2F-8F, defeat a boss at the last one.
9F - Random battle on 7F, Event 7F, Random Battle 8F, Event 8F, Boss on 9F.  RAGE.
9F - You'll need a 1F character recruited for someone to join here.
?F - After getting a total of 20 characters (Everyone from 9F and below), return to a character's location on 8F for a BULLSHIT-difficulty boss battle.

Yeah, that's all the optional characters up to 10F.  Don't expect to get a 9F and 8F character until later though because those boss fights are seriously hard... especially the latter.

Thank you, I'm completely nervous about missing out on some of the characters I'm particularly fond of like Yuyuko, kaguya, and flandre. Though it seems like Flandre isn't in the game, or if she is, uber late. As for events involving cirno on floor 2, I melted the ice block, and uhh. Got to the boss behind the passage you can't get past without haivng cirno around. was either one of those it? I'm unsure due to the fact that they each had some purpose of their own.

Chaore

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2009, 08:37:48 PM »
As far as I know, Both of those events have no purpouse (Past their original) after they're done with. Though the ice block has me suspicious...

Those that are in the game that you mentioned, Ghaleon, all join past F10, Sooo, you'll just have to see.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
  • Who is it that calls for me?
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2009, 09:40:59 PM »
Augh! Alice just keeps on raping me. Hard.

None of my strategies are working so far. I've tried to go after the Magic doll first and she just heals it faster than I can do damage. I try to go for the Healing doll first and it just gets its defenses buffed so high that I can't do any real damage.

WHY!?

Just a GBZero

• <Kaisou> ...Yeah, kinda small, but I think it works...
  • Too much manga now means not enough manga
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2009, 10:22:31 PM »
For some reason Youmu was rather luck based on my run throughs, and I had to beat her twice due to bad luck bumping esc after the battle trying to pause it.  Alice gave me no troubles really though, I took out her healer doll, the top one first, using AoE spells and focused ones, then the Left one.  I took out Alice before getting rid of the right one though.

And Yuugi is now giving me troubles, one hitting everything on my team even with def buffs

Chaore

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2009, 10:25:16 PM »
And Yuugi is now giving me troubles, one hitting everything on my team even with def buffs
-Grind-. That is -all- I can offer as help with her. She is mean and meaner. She will kill everyone hands down, 'less you're more than prepared for the floor at which you meet her. Trade off is she is awesome.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2009, 10:44:16 PM »
Current score:

Alice 10: Pesco 0

Chaore

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2009, 10:52:48 PM »
I can not -wait- till all of you get to floor 13.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2009, 10:53:06 PM »
Current score:

Alice 10: Pesco 0

Make that Alice: Infinity World: 0

I can't even touch her dolls without them getting healed or just taking horrible damage. Although if I noticed right I don't think they heal Alice herself...

Just a GBZero

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2009, 10:55:08 PM »
Make that Alice: Infinity World: 0

I can't even touch her dolls without them getting healed or just taking horrible damage. Although if I noticed right I don't think they heal Alice herself...
They do heal Alice, but its only the top doll that heals, and it wont do the big heal to itself, so if you get rid of it, it goes a bit quicker

Chaore

« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
Oh, You should have Iku at this point if I recall, So use her to Def-Sap the dolls. Along with a good Physical hitter too. Cirno Freeze is also a good idea.

...how is she so tough anyway? I mean, I know the game is brutal, but I still managed to end with a full team on Alice.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
Iku? I don't think so.

And Alice is freaking tough because her dolls WONT DIE.

Chaore

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2009, 11:07:43 PM »
I guess I'm thinking on the wrong level then? Ah well~.

Really I'd have to go through the games to offer any more advice on Alice, Twas a long while ago.

Just a GBZero

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2009, 11:23:51 PM »
Nothing in this game, bosswise dies, until it dies.  I had 3 separate bosses that I ended up killing with my last person, with no SP, and normally that was with a weak Meling. 

Chaore

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2009, 11:26:25 PM »
Nothing in this game, bosswise dies, until it dies.  I had 3 separate bosses that I ended up killing with my last person, with no SP, and normally that was with a weak Meling.
You've not lived till you've weathered through atleast 120k HP with Marisa and Reimu alone, Marisa focus spamming to spark, and Reimu playing heal bitch.

Encephlon

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2009, 11:31:58 PM »
I need help! @_@
Floor 7F

How do I reach the next floor (More specifically which warp out of the gazillion leads me to the unexplored portion circled here?) I tried all the left side warps but to no avail) Stuck...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:34:44 PM by Florencia »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
The wait on Reimu's heal makes me sad. And Demarcation not removing silence makes me cry.

Chaore

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2009, 11:36:46 PM »
I need help! @_@

Huh? Oh su-
Floor 7F

You're on your fucking own.

Seriously though, That floor is -hell-. I can offer no advice.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2009, 01:51:39 AM »
For the people having trouble with Alice, some tricks I used.  Maybe not the best way, but:

Paralyze and speed down work somewhat ( I think Paralyze always works on the Shield doll and speed down works on the magic doll ) and sometimes Alice will be affected too, but not too reliably.

Alice actually starts using her power moves once you off the Healer doll.  So I went after them in the order of Shield, Magic, Healer, Alice.  Magic before Shield works too, depends on who you can knock out faster.  I try to nuke a doll on the side before the Healer does a large heal ( example, do some damage to Shield, then pull out Marisa and fire a Concentrated Master Spark ).

Once you take down those two, Healer and Alice have almost no offense other than status effects.  Stall and make sure you're in good shape before taking out the Healer-- easy since she doesn't heal herself-- then take out Alice as fast as you can.

If you can't kill the dolls before the big heal comes in, you might not be boosting your offense enough.  Good damage sources at this point are Chen/ Youmu for physical, Patch/Marisa for magic, be sure to splurge on their respective offense stats.  If you've been using these guys... well, might wanna level up.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2009, 02:16:03 AM »
Is there some way to see enemy resistances and such?

Chaore

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2009, 02:18:35 AM »
Actually IN the game? Probably not. Online? There is that wiki, But good luck.

Or well, Checking the code like a cheater.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2009, 02:41:55 AM »
I think I just gotta face the facts.

I need to level more. I can't get damage done fast enough to kill any of Alice's dolls so I'm just gonna have to GRIND IT UP!

On a somewhat nice note, I can get Marisa up to a 4k Master Spark if I 2x Concentrate and then bench her for full SP. That is, if she doesn't get murdered while she's concentrating.

Chaore

« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2009, 02:43:35 AM »
4k Master Spark
YEAH YOU NEED TO LEVEL.

Jeez I didn't even think that was possible.

Graph

• Let's go, Trombe!
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2009, 04:15:12 AM »
PrismYoshi: If you aren't already doing so, focus solely on the best stat of your characters when they level up (offense stats for your damage-dealers).  You can level up the other stats somewhat using skill points, but don't waste too many on stats with bad growth.  For example, in Marisa's case pump magic  for all level ups, increase magic, SP, maybe speed and mind with your skill points, and only spend skill points on other stuff when the cost becomes totally negligible.  Also use equipment to boost strong stats even further.

4k Master Spark... and I thought I had a hard time in that fight, haha.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2009, 04:28:42 AM »
I think I just gotta face the facts.

I need to level more. I can't get damage done fast enough to kill any of Alice's dolls so I'm just gonna have to GRIND IT UP!

On a somewhat nice note, I can get Marisa up to a 4k Master Spark if I 2x Concentrate and then bench her for full SP. That is, if she doesn't get murdered while she's concentrating.

What level are you anyway? curious cuz I've mostly cleared floor 3 and am just boss-hunting 4 now.

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2009, 05:15:46 AM »
I'm in the 18-20 range right now.

Also, Alice has finally admitted defeat! Bwahaha. Once that magic doll goes down, things get SO MUCH EASIER.

Also, yeah I probably should have researched the game a bit more since my stat levels are somewhat spread out on everyone. *sigh*

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2009, 05:56:35 AM »
Yeah I just had a long, mostly uneventful fight with alice myself. I used Hong(lvl20)->remi(18)->reimu(20)->patchy(18).

Nobody could do more than 0 damage to the healer fairy at the start except Patchy, whose silent selene did... I forget, like 2.4k or something. I just spammed that until she went oom, swapped patchy out for Marisa, nuked it with a master spark, then swapped out Marisa for uhh. Autumn harvest goddess lady (I never remember her name).

I ignored the 2 other fairies and just focused on Alice because I was gambling that she gets mad when you kill 2 out of 3 rather than this specific one or that one. None of her moves really did more than 200 damage to any of my guys, though the beautiful fairy occasionally shield bashed someone for 300ish. Anyway, the damage output on both ends was REALLY low, I was able to heal up my guys withouts witching out ever, and Remi was my damage, gunginering Alice every odd turn or so for 1-2k. Took like 40 mins. When she's almost dead she starts casting the big spells (I think every boss does this), and OHKO'd autumn harvest lady, and ALMOST OHKOd Reimu with little legion. Alas, at that point she is near defeat, so she died before she could move again.

IF anybody is having trouble, I suggest that party setup, they seem to be highly resistant to all of her spells (sans little legion, at which point you are about to win). The only hard part is nuking down the healer fairy in time. Only patchy was doing effective damage (though I guess you can have a diff party setup nuking that fairy down.

edit: many people seem to dislike Rumia. I find her first spell is actually one of the best single target nukes in the game, demarcation also makes her useful on certain boss fights. WRIGGLE on the other hand. what a chump. Am I missing something with her? Obviously her use is poison but..well.. You can't see enemy hp in this game, nor can you see how long poisen lasts on a boss before being cured, so I'm not really willing to pretend like I know it's doing great damage when she's so terrible otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 07:20:11 AM by Ghaleon »

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2009, 08:22:10 AM »
Do I suck if my Marisa does a base Spark of 3.5k? What's the thoughts on Cursed Remi for the Alice fight?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
Okay, catchup time!

On 8F Join boss- Heres a hint, Its the same as one you already beat. The same tactics can apply to it.
Nope.  The original had a pattern - Hellfire, attack, attack, attack, Hellfire.  You could actually time it and swap in protected characters to take the hit.  The 8F version is not only likely to 1HKO anyone except Tanks with massively boosted FIR upon first potential meeting, but also does -not- necessarily wait between uses of Hellfire.  Literally I can't take it down right now because it does far too much damage for 11/12 party members to handle... and can do that every turn.

Yuyuko, kaguya, and flandre
You can get all three, but you won't see em until at least 12F or so.

As for events involving cirno on floor 2, I melted the ice block, and uhh. Got to the boss behind the passage you can't get past without haivng cirno around. was either one of those it?
That's not it.  I may be wrong and it may not be until F3 they start to show up.  Just know you'll get an item each time.

Meiling + Defense buffs is your only chance to survive, maybe Remilia.  And eventually Knockout In Three Steps will waste you regardless.  Your objective is to try to keep Meiling/Remi tanking as long as possible, and just burn through Yuugi as fast as you can.

You've not lived till you've weathered through atleast 120k HP with Marisa and Reimu alone, Marisa focus spamming to spark, and Reimu playing heal bitch.
I forget which boss it was that I ground through with only Meiling and Minoriko.  Neither of which can do crap for damage.

How do I reach the next floor (More specifically which warp out of the gazillion leads me to the unexplored portion circled here?) I tried all the left side warps but to no avail) Stuck...
Here: http://www19.atwiki.jp/th_maze/?plugin=ref&serial=44

The wiki lists em for bosses, but not regular enemies (I think it lists notable weaknesses though)

Obviously her use is poison but..well.. You can't see enemy hp in this game, nor can you see how long poisen lasts on a boss before being cured, so I'm not really willing to pretend like I know it's doing great damage when she's so terrible otherwise.
Her main damage isn't all that terrible and she actually makes a half-decent tank due to really damn good natural ailment resistance.  Also, poison you use does more damage the higher your level does, apparently.  She's there for boss fighting more than regular foes, for sure.

What's the thoughts on Cursed Remi for the Alice fight?
Curse of Vlad Tepes is a +40% buff to ATK, DEF, MAG, and MND.  It's never a bad thing... just make sure Meiling gets to act almost immediately after.

Also, yeah I probably should have researched the game a bit more since my stat levels are somewhat spread out on everyone. *sigh*
It's not a bad idea, no - but be aware that no matter how much you buff up a crappy stat, it's going to STAY a crappy stat.  But an 'average' stat that the character actually makes use of is worth a few levels (Such as Reimu's HP and ATK), and everyone can benefit from a few skill point levels in affinities (As those are a flat +3 regardless for each skill level, but only +2 for level up) and SP, I think.  Just put the large majority into a character's most important stats (Marisa's MAG and SP, patchy's MAG and MND, Chen's SPD and ATK, etc etc)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 08:53:31 AM by Garlyle »

RainfallYoshi

• Yoshi of Skies & Rains
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2009, 08:54:39 AM »
I like Rumia as well, but she suffers from the same problem as every other "mage" in that she turns to butter against physical attacks. She still gets bonus points for a rather nicely powered Moonlight Ray and a Demarcation that removes debuffs.

Wriggle.... I just haven't found a use for yet. It's like you said, there's not really any way to know if that poison is worth the terrible damage. She has the nature element at least? Meh, I bumped her for Alice. I'm guessing Alice's debuffers will do pretty well for the next boss I run into? It seems like they would be mighty handy.

And if you have Remilia in a boss fight and you haven't used Curse of Vlad Tepes, you're doing it wrong.