Author Topic: Most Embarassing Touhou Moments  (Read 183808 times)

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
Re: Most Embarassing Touhou Moments
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »
Oh, and the previous dual-pattern attack? With the "guided" lasers and other misc. unimportant bullets? (followed by the basic streaming pattern). When the attack ends, the lasers which have not materialized yet (i.e. are still moving to their position) materialize at that instant. So I was on top of one of those lasers when the attack ended. It's just... a stupid death.
Kill it when she fires the easily-streamed aimed bullets, right when she fires them. That'll give you a lot of point items, which will help you get the Extend at 200 items. If you weren't getting it before, of course.

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2009, 03:11:27 AM »
I played IN 6B easy in practice mode.

I died twice.   :(

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
Generic Embarassing confession:

I bomb Icicle Fall... always...
rofl bye

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2009, 10:43:53 PM »
Icicle Fall normal is actually pretty difficult as far as normal goes, don't feel bad.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sodium

• pew pew lasers
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2009, 11:07:04 PM »
Icicle Fall normal is actually pretty difficult as far as normal goes, don't feel bad.
It's actually quite easy. Stay at mid for three shots, then move right, and up, over the icicles. Haven't failed it once after I used that method.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2009, 05:07:58 AM »
Better bomb than losing a life to it.

« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2009, 05:49:38 AM »
Pretty much something like this: '' OH SHIT I CAN DODGE THIS, BUT IM GOING TO MAKE A QUICK MOVEMENT SO I WILL DEFINETLY GET KILLED BY THAT BULLET COMING TOWARDS ME '' and such..

Holy crap, I can relate to this. Especially when I'm using Marisa or some other fast character.

Chainsaw Guitar

« Reply #67 on: May 02, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »
I often panic and waste a bomb on spell cards that I think are gonna end me, only for it to end right after I fire it.

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2009, 01:07:19 PM »
EoSD Lunatic Practice mode Stage 6, reach Sakuya, psyching myself up for an attempt at an Eternal Meek capture.

Card starts.

High velocity bullet to the face.

I didn't even have time to react o_O
Advocate of Transhumanism

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2009, 11:08:31 PM »
I play like if my hitbox is 10x10, so even when a bullet is only going to barely touch the sprite of the character I try to get away from it and often bump into something.

It doesn't happen (or rarely) on easy because I have enough time to notice the bullet and decide if I should dodge or not.
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

nintendonut888

« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »
EoSD Lunatic Practice mode Stage 6, reach Sakuya, psyching myself up for an attempt at an Eternal Meek capture.

Card starts.

High velocity bullet to the face.

I didn't even have time to react o_O

Capturing Eternal Meek lunatic isn't good for your health. Most random card in the series at very fast speeds = Headache. I've done it about 5 times.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Vile Lasagna

• Due to boredom
  • I'm mostly banned
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2009, 11:24:45 PM »
How about when you dodge a bullet and, as you're moving, you realise you're putting yourself RIGHT under another bullet. But although you KNOW this is happening it's already too late and you can't react fast enough to fix the problem (bomb, correct your route...). So for that TINY instant, you can just sit there and watch as you make a move that you KNOW is going to kill you.
rofl bye

nintendonut888

« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2009, 05:37:28 PM »
This is the end.

This is the end of all things.

I got hit by Sara.

Hold me.  :'(

« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2009, 06:04:01 PM »
This is the end.

This is the end of all things.

I got hit by Sara.

Hold me.  :'(

I can only offer my most sincere condolences. That is much worse than what happened to me today. Or is it? I don't know. I died THREE damn times to Satoris recollection of Pandaemonium on Hard. I don't know but to my experience the spell is very easy so its pretty damn embarassing.

What would really be bad though was if i beat Extra in SA but bombed all non-spells.

How? That spell is pathetic. Reminds me of another embarrasment. I failed Icicle Fall on easy when i wanted to do it the right way.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:07:14 PM by Zengeku »

nintendonut888

« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
I dunno, I haven't played normal in a very long time, so maybe it is pathetic now.

hiddenryuu

• Artist in Training
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2009, 07:43:16 PM »
Icicle Fall -Normal- Can be tricky if you don't know exactly how far you need to be for the icicles to miss you entirely, it can take a couple a tries to get it down , especially if you're not very familiar with EoSD I think.

« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2009, 03:42:53 AM »
On my last normal run, I waited too much before going up on every wave of Icicle fall and had to dodge on the side. But once you have the timing down it's easy because you only have to dodge about 2 bullets.   

« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2009, 08:39:19 PM »
I dunno, I haven't played normal in a very long time, so maybe it is pathetic now.

Well, duh!! Of course it is! That card can only pose a threat to those who don't understand the hit-box and the movement speed. I realized today how easy both of them are by timing both of them out, the easy version without focusing or vertical movement.

saiyoucho

• *Ahem*.. Mukyu!
    • Touhou Sweden
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »
One of the worst experiences ever was dying on Rumia's first attack after trying to beat EoSD for a looong time without any breaks that day.

So yeah, I turned off the game at that point. Seeing how there is no way to fail even harder after trying to 1cc the game. >_>
Take me to your library, give me your spellbooks.

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »
I ALMOST 1cc'd PCB, but died on Yuyu's very last spell halfway through  :'(

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
Got a Game Over on Mountain of Faith trying to graze Yasaka-sama's knives.

WHICH I HAD NO REASON FOR DOING, I realised afterwards. I don't get any points for it...
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 05:35:13 AM »
As I was going to upload my Last Word Time Outs to youtube, I noticed on Phoenix Rebirth that one of the phoenixes flew through me and completely missed.  It was on the wing a bit, but still, I really should have died.  Kind of embarrassing, more of a wait... what... really?

« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 06:19:12 AM »
Simultaneous embarassment/accomplishment:

Why do I always seem to fail things at the very last microsecond possible?  I was just a pixel of healthbar away from a perfect Alice battle.  A PIXEL.  But Hanged Hourai Dolls decided at the very last moment to rob that from me...

On the other hand I got a PCB PERFECT STAGE 2 LUNATIC RUN HELL YES.  You all have no idea how long I've wanted to get this.  God I hate Chen so much...;_;

Edit:  Oh hey I just died to Hourai Elixir with 2 seconds on the timer.  Imagine that...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:41:19 PM by Azinth »

nintendonut888

« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »
...Did I just see what I thought I saw? brb.

EDIT: Yep, I did. I've always had trouble with Aya's opener because at the end I thought you had to fit in the tiny openings of the small blue "O" ring with clipdeath-happy pellet bullets. Then when I randomly watched Kefit's perfect Aya battle I noticed that theres an opening just above that ring where you don't have to go through any ring. I know I have nobody to blame but myself for missing this until now, but what the bloody hell.

At least I sort of made up for my stupidity by capturing Momizi for the second time ever.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:21:52 AM by nintendonut888 »

« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2009, 12:21:27 AM »
Failed MS Easy.

Up to Shinki, only Mai and her goddamn laser really annoyed me, but I reached stage 6 with 5 lives so whatever.

On Shinki, I died twice on her spellcard with the curving yellow things, you know, those that are nearly impossible to see if you don't know about them because they don't stand out at all? I didn't even notice them until just before my SECOND death. Then a death because my keyboard refused to register shift+Z+X and didn't bomb.

Then I lose my last life because I fail at reading lasers. Forgot where else I died.

Also, is it just me, or is stage 1 really damn long?

nintendonut888

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2009, 12:24:17 AM »
It is really damn long. At something like two and a half minutes, it's the longest stage 1 in the series. Thankfully Dream Express is an awesome song, and keeps up the energy so it never really gets boring.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2009, 01:16:49 AM »
I had a good Stage 6 Lunatic MoF going.

Awesome faith meter level without bombing (~270k before Kanako, starts at 50k [practice]). Opening bombed, because its too hard. I still tried to dodge though.

Either way, I captured every spell card along the way to VoWG, and almost captured Mystery "Yamato Torus", bombing only in a panic. Enter VoWG. Within 10 seconds, I positioned myself incorrectly (not high enough on the screen) and lost it. Then I proceed to die 7+ times, bomb 5+ times before the torment ended.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

nintendonut888

« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2009, 06:39:51 AM »
Wow, I played like utter shit right there. I attempted EoSD lunatic, and started the run with a bang by bombing Rumia's opener. Long story short, bomb spamming, dying with bombs in stock twice in stage 5, and somehow still reaching Scarlet Meister. I should just cave and start playing max lives again (since bad endings really leave me down), but then it wouldn't be as satisfying.

I think I need to learn to play with Marisa A. Marisa B is great for getting through the game, but I care about making good runs now, and hellish Patchy battle aside, I think Marisa A is worth learning to deal with her tiny range.

Still...I felt like the knowledge that there is control lag made me screw up more.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2009, 07:05:41 AM »
Attempted timeout of "Hell's Artificial Sun" (Normal). Lowered the HP down as low as I could, attempted to time it out from there. It was going great. Then I clip a bullet after entering the "extra" phase (~30 seconds?) with 22 seconds left on the timer, ~8 seconds in. Marisa on Focus was barely fast enough to overpower from the pull of the spell card.

Needless to say, any attempt at moving horizontally had to be done with extreme care.

EDIT: 3 miss clear on the phase! Getting there.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:25:48 AM by BaitySM »
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2009, 08:28:41 AM »
Played a PCB Normal true pacifist with SakuyaA to attempt to alleviate the stress incurred by making completely idiotic mistakes in Stage 2.  Guess what.  I died in Stage 2, but not because of bullets.

I ran into the damn fairies as they were leaving the screen.  Three times.  I just quit after seeing the continue screen.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.