Author Topic: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2  (Read 183905 times)

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
Re: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2011, 05:09:48 AM »
ReimuA.
Grazing is fun~

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:39 AM »
Let's see...rather than just say my favorite I'll rank all 6 in order of favorite to least favorite!
ReimuA & ReimuC (tie)
ReimuB
MarisaC
MarisaB
MarisaA

Poor Marisa...

ReimuA for obvious reasons
ReimuC because it plays a lot like IN Youmu (and Ayaspeed(tm) can be fun)
ReimuB is fun, if not a bit weak
MarisaC has an awesome bomb.
MarisaB is fun, but impractical.
MarisaA is worthless yet has hilarious dialogue.

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:08 AM »
ReimuC because she has the only good bomb for Subterranean Rose~

wait, no, that's at 90FPS.

ReimuA because I 1cc'd Hard with it, MarisaC because it's unpopular~

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
MarisaB. I like the versatility of every different option.

« Reply #124 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
ReimuA is by far my most used shottype. I wouldn't even touch the other characters with a fire poker if it weren't for Satori's stage and the recollection cards. ReimuA is the most simple, straight-forward and easy to use shot type in the game, let alone the most powerful, and there is no benefit to using any of the others whatsoever. (Making stages easier is NOT a benefit in Touhuo imo) ReimuC is decent though since her bomb is decently powerful.

If I had to pick a Marisa type I'd pick B because having the option to alternate between spread and linear shot is nice. I don't use Marisa though. Why? Lol huge hitbox with bullet magnets attached.

« Reply #125 on: October 10, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
ReimuA

And MarisaA for surprise timeouts
Youtube

[07:02] <SeppoMobile> You be a superplayer, I'm a superfaggot

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #126 on: October 10, 2011, 06:21:13 PM »
Ah, yes, I forgot how much fun MarisaA's dialogue is. Even if I can't stand that bullet style, I love Alice's commentary.

« Reply #127 on: October 10, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
ReimuC - Small hitbox, adaptive shot, ability to move quickly, the powerful bomb makes it an unstoppable rapetrain for survival clears. Best shot type for no horizontal in SA.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #128 on: October 10, 2011, 07:50:13 PM »
Even though I use ReimuA much more on SA, I daresay I love ReimuB and those homing + piercing shots, plus the "gather all items on-screen at once" thingy is nifty, I'm not about to graze 2000 bullets just to get a few extra items, besides, the time needed to stay still is meaningless.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #129 on: October 10, 2011, 11:30:37 PM »
Ha ha, bad luck lets me update this right on time for once. :]

What is your favorite scoring system?

This can involve just the scoring system, or take into account how it gains you resources if you are so inclined. I'm not a scoring person, so I'm boring and like the straight lives-points system of EoSD and MoF. No problem getting all the resources I need.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2011, 12:14:04 AM »
SA. The Communication Gauge's basic premise is simple to utilize, so it has good synergy with normal play, yet it offers surprising depth for those who want to get the absolute most out of it (provided you also don't mind burning up lots of resources in the process).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2011, 12:18:22 AM »
SA is definitely my favourite scoring system. PCB is an honorable mention, because I love those borders.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2011, 01:01:20 AM »
I'm inclined between TD and PCB, myself, I don't like straight-up "collect items, get lives" thing, so EoSD and MoF are definetly not here, SA is meh, you have to graze 2 bajillion bullets to get a half-decent multiplier, where's the fun in that? Way too risky for my taste.

UFO is bullshit, so I won't even go into details, IN is o-kay, I guess, but the familiar spam is kind of a putoff for me, the borders in PCB are pretty nice for life-saving and for scoring, and the natural "Get items get lives" system is pretty cool, though TD has a certain charm to it, even if it makes me die horribly over and over again, I guess the Spirit World music is really what draws me into spamming trance so much.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:32 AM »
SA, actually. There isn't much to do that looks "special", in that game. Unless you count grazing a hell lot as "too unnatural".

Magepigeon

• Bringing ridiculous back.
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2011, 01:26:54 AM »
I really like PCB's scoring system because the borders are extremely useful, and I like how cherry points scale the point item worth and that you're rewarded for not focusing. Although, I also really like what's used in Mystic Square. The Dreambonus is a very nice way to make up for not having a PoC.
I've been playing off and on since December '10, so I'm a bit behind in skill level, but I'm getting there...

« Reply #135 on: October 11, 2011, 01:40:20 AM »
I'm fond of PCB's system since it feels so natural; the borders just "happen" as part of the gameplay, you don't really have to force it in order to get a decent score.

I'm also fond of MoF's system, since it's fun to see how high you can get the gauge and how high you can keep it.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #136 on: October 11, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
Mountain of Faith.

It's actually very fitting to my style of play. I hate all the other because grazewhoring (which is too risky for me)/ chasing UFOs and Divine Spirits/ and grazewhoring.
MoF is mostly about how you spare your items, bombing only if it's an excellent opportunity, and never getting shot. Either way if I get shot once in any game I restart (unless I'm in stage 5/6/Extra boss), but MoF actually gives me a real reason to! :D

Oh, and for the previous question...
Marisa C. Whenever I have the bomb set up, my playing skills naturally increase (less stress/worry of getting shot), and if you're lucky you could deathbomb and save yourself twice. IMO it's lacking in power, but it's very defensive and I like it. Marisa A comes second though, mostly because of MariAli's hilarious dialogue (unsurprisingly, IN's Magic Team dialogue is also one the best out of all the games. I'm beginning to suspect that ZUN has known of the fandom's scary obsession with MarisaxAlice.) :3

« Reply #137 on: October 11, 2011, 02:08:09 AM »
UFO. Being able to choose between survival and score is the best. Too bad timing out every non-card for graze is stupid. Also, Ichirin's last... All of my hate. But the UFOs are awesome. TH14: UFO2 plz.

MoF is an honourable mention. Bullet cancelling on non-cards is silly, but thankfully not necessary on most nons. Keeping cool under pressure of not dying ever is where the game becomes fun. And VoWG.

Least favorite is TD. The less you dodge the better your score. How exciting...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 02:10:17 AM by Naut »

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #138 on: October 11, 2011, 02:15:29 AM »
SA

SO INTENSE OH GOD OH GOD ARE THOSE BULLETS GRAZING ME? NO? I BETTER MOVE CLOSER

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

MatsuriSakuragi

« Reply #139 on: October 11, 2011, 02:18:54 AM »
Mmm, probably a tie between PCB and SA. MS's scoring system was all right, as well.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2011, 03:39:32 AM »
I don't play for score, but I would say Mountain of Faith's as in general, survival=score.
Subterranean Animism falls under this too, as my 2 best scoring runs died twice and once.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2011, 05:46:23 AM »
SA. Because grazing is fun.

Also this question was suggested by me. I also gave donut the option of life systems instead.

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2011, 07:08:27 AM »
Subterranean Animism. Grazing for the win!

« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
My favorite system is MoF because its very simple and straight-forward. It rewards the player for capturing cards, not dying, picking up items at max value and raising the point value with point items.

IN is cool enough but the grazing can get weary at times. Still, its not a bad system. You can get at around 50% of the world record just from simply doing well. Then you can stack on more scoring tricks to get it higher. UFO shares my second place with IN. Ichirin is the primary reason I hold it in lower regard than MoF since the need to burn resources on super-grazing to properly optimize the score doesn't appeal to me. The rest of the system is fine though and I would engage myself more in the scoring if I was a little better at the game.

TH14: UFO2 plz.

Seconded.  ;)

Formless God

« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:40 AM »
ketsStB/DS/TD. That's four three games; the scoring systems have one thing in common, though, risk positioning. I don't particularly care how WR players sit through everything to get their scores in the billions; I face the boss head-on, I destroy things quickly, I plant myself near the top of the screen; I experience the thrill of doing all sort of risky things (bombing/trancing not included in this context) and I get rewarded for it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:56:13 AM by Anarchy Formless »

« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2011, 01:51:07 PM »
UFO's system is the most fun for me, even though I've on ever tried it in practice mode. It's challenging to score in while not imposing heavy life or bomb usage score penalties. I still hate the grazing aspect of it though. Like Naut, MoF is second for not including graze at all and not penalising bombing while penalising lives, providing a good survival challenge that's not ridiculous.

As for the other score systems, EoSD is nice and simple, but grazing seems to make up a major portion of it unfortunately. PCB's is incredibly difficult as you need to memorise when to time the borders, while a bomb or stupid death will cost you a lot. I never quite figured out how IN's works, so that's out. My problem with SA is also that it's too graze based, especially with Reimu A. The communication gauge is really good, but increasing the multiplier really sucks, as is the fact that your base point value doesn't increase often and gets reset upon death. TD requires no explanation, it sucks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 01:54:57 PM by GuppyForce »

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
SA. I love when score systems want you to be aggressive.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2011, 01:56:37 PM »
SA. I frequently forget what game I'm playing so I'm always grazewhoring to attempt to collect everything :>

Since I'm so ridiculously item-minded I can't help but put myself into danger each and every time something swamps the screen with bullets.

nintendonut888

« Reply #148 on: October 11, 2011, 03:02:05 PM »
Actually, I take back what I said. The one and only scoring system I enjoy and have taken seriously is Double Spoiler's. I love it when you can see how each individual action increases your score, and that the score is cumulatave instead of having to be done all at once.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

nintendonut888

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2011, 01:21:54 AM »
...Well, shoot. Can I put in a reminder that I'm not the only one who can start new days? I have a horrible attention span for daily things. :<

What is your favorite official Touhou print media?

Not included are the informational books like PMiSS.

I really like the Three Fairies manga. Even if the fairies are only so-so, the events that happen around them are delicious.