Author Topic: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2  (Read 183508 times)

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2
« on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:20 PM »
I think it's high time this old thread was revived. For those who weren't around back then, this is a thread, updated daily, where you answer a question about what's the best about an aspect of our favorite loli-infested shmup this side of Deathsmiles. Anyone is allowed to ask a question for the new day, so speak up if you have a question that hasn't been asked! It can be character-related, game-related, music-related, anything you can think of.

Since we have a new Touhou game, let's start with Ten Desires:

Who is your favorite of the new characters?

For me, there's no one in the cast who compares to that lovable zombie jiang shi Yoshika. I rarely like a character as soon as I meet them, but Yoshika took the cake the day the demo came out, and stayed that way. :3
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Daily Touhou Best Topic Round 2
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 11:44:58 PM »
I'd say Yoshika as well. I don't know, the other new characters just don't seem quirky enough to really compare (Mamizou somewhat, though not enough).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:47 AM »
Miko's design is my favorite. But in terms of actual character, I'd go with Kyouko. She just seems like the happy go lucky type like me. With her anything goes. Plus those yamabiko ears are cute.
(I don't pay attention to dialogue much so I might have her personality wrong.)

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 02:50:22 AM »
Kyouko, because loud voice and (although this is the first time I've said this exact phrase, ever) she's so freaking cute.
ぎゃーてーぎゃーてー

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 03:32:21 AM »
I remember seeing this thread
Despite the fact that it was before my time

Anyway

Fav is Miko, and I wouldn't say 'by far' as a 60% approval is slightly better than the ~40% I give everyone else

Drake

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:02:42 AM »
Seiga. By association and overall being the second-best, Yoshika follows right behind.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Derpface

• Don't worry universe, I will (ahn~♥) protect you...
  • Ke-he-he-he-he!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:39:19 AM »
Soga! Lightning ghost, so awesome.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »
Seiga. By association and overall being the second-best, Yoshika follows right behind.

Look at this guy and how right he is.

Seiga is kinda interesting and is probably my favourite from the game. Interestingly enough, Yoshika would probably be my next favourite, convenient that it lines up like that.

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »

Thirded.

Really enjoying what the fandom does with their relationship, whether it be Seiga truly caring for Yoshika, or Seiga manipulating the simple-minded Yoshika into thinking she loves her and uses her as meatshield,
it's just so hard to tell and what makes it awesome.

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:57 PM »
On the basis of character design, Miko.

On the basis of not having a horrible personality and backstory, Yoshika.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »
Yoshika. It's like entering a room where you expect tons of boxing champions and getting kicked in the face.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
I'm going to second Yoshika, mostly because her design is interesting and the concept behind her danmaku is pretty clever (if annoying to capture)

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 03:02:58 PM »
Definitely Mamizou.

(I still have no idea what this game's story and characters are all about)

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 03:16:27 PM »
Yoshika is one of my new faves. She's a combination of spacey and dopey, which is a great combination for potential humor. Add in the whole crazy pseudo-zombie angle and she's a veritable spring of fandom hilarity. I like Seiga's theme best, and anyone who is nicknamed Nyan Nyan can't be all bad. I think Mamizou has some potential, but I just don't think she's been fleshed out enough for me yet. Futo's boat has more joke potential (I've already seen a number of photoshopped images replacing the boat with something ridiculous), she's a bit odd in general, and her old-fashioned speech is kinda fun. Unfortunately, no thoughts on Tojiko thus far.
On the basis of not having a horrible personality and backstory, Yoshika.
This is basically why I haven't been able to stomach Miko so far. Touhou only has so many jerks to go around and Miko's almost screaming to be at the forefront. Not to mention that she's directly opposed to Byakuren, who stands as one of my top 5 characters because of who she is, which is also very much who Miko is not. Mind you, I'd normally associate Eirin amongst this short list, but a long, long list of input from other sources says she's pretty mellow, patient, puts her knowledge of medicine to good use, and her Reisen abuse is exclusively used for Looney Tunes style physical comedy. It's taken a whole lot of effort for my opinion of Eirin to be the inverse of what it could be, hence, it's going to take a lot of doing for me to warm up to Miko.

EDIT: Leave it to me to take a one sentence answer and a make it a two paragraph one.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:15:52 PM by Reddyne »

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:47:51 PM »
The characters is probably my favorite part of the game... christ I can't believe I just wrote that. With the more recent releases in the series the characters have become more interesting (as much as they can given its a shmup anyway) and I'd like to think its something that started with SA but maybe a bit with MoF. At least that's around the time when the dialogue in the game became stomachable. The Ten Desires cast has some of the most interesting characters around. Yeah, Yuyuko is there but if we just ignore that for a second we get another of those Stage 2 bosses with no relation to anything and then a zombie who has this pretty fun thing about her being completely in the palm of Seiga's hand willingly sacrificing herself for her master by serving as a meat shield. Really... no other servant have been this dedicated. And Seiga is just cynically using her. At least that's how I interpret it. Futo, don't really know anything about her and that Stage 5 mid-boss is the same deal. I also find Miko pretty interesting. As for my absolute favorite, its probably Seiga. She does definitely face strong competition from Mamizou though because seriously, hipster racoon and glasses too?

However, I can't really say I've looked too much into Mamizou's character beyond how I find her visual design to be pretty damn great.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »
Alright, 24 hours. You can still weigh in on any question you missed, but let's say this time is considered to be 24 hours. In that case, second question on Ten Desires:

What is your favorite song from Ten Desires?

The soundtrack's grown a lot on me since the release, but my favorite is still Old Distant Hermit. Even though it's so short, its intense energy excites me every time I listen to it. Honorable mention goes to Desire Drive and True Administrator.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Alfred F. Jones

• Estamos orgullosos del Batall?n Lincoln
  • y de la lucha que hizo por Madrid
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
True Administrator, no question.

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »
I'm gonna say Desire Drive. There's something about the pacing and instrumentation in that one that reminds me of 90's-era platformers, although I don't know quite what it is. True Administrator's a close second.

Chronojet ⚙ Dragon

• The Oddity
  • 今コソ輝ケ、我ガ未来、ソノ可能性!!
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 12:53:30 AM »
Futatsuiwa from Sado. I was waiting for such a song!

J.O.B

• YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:00:21 AM »
Desire Drive.
At first I didn't listen to this much at all but then people started fussing over how good it was. So I checked it out, and fell in love.
Also there is a really good PC-98 remix of it on youtube.

Mr. Sacchi

• All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.
  • Not postponed. Not in the end. Not for long.
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 01:39:40 AM »

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 06:29:51 AM »
Youkai Back Shrine Road.

Yeah, it's a little weird for a stage theme, but I am still in love with it.

Also, it fits Nue so perfectly I wish I could hack it into UFO and use it as her fight theme. Beats Heian Alien any day.

EDIT: And I have to give honorable mentions to Legend of the Great Gods and A Small Desire's Starry Sky.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:34:21 AM by Malkyrian »

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
I think its overall a pretty good soundtrack save for a few exceptions that are just really bad. Still, the good songs far outweigh the bad ones. My favorite of these is Rigid Paradise and Desire Drive. Seiga's theme is also pretty catchy but it doesn't have much originality. It does somehow remind me of a Cave-style boss theme which I can appreciate a lot. True Administrator is also pretty good but Futatsuiwa from Sado is my favorite one of them all.

Its nice and catchy and feels a lot more fresh than most of the recent Extra boss themes, not that they were bad at all but Hartmanns Youkai Girl and that Nue-song just isn't that memorable to me.

AxiamWolfe

• Virtual Jet Jockey too
  • 生存戦略!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
I'd have to go with True Administrator as my first pick. Personally, I feel it quite good at building tension (what little tension there is considering the danmaku), and the release at THAT high note feels great, especially if it syncs somewhat with the gameplay.

Also up there in my picks is Seiga's theme, Old Yuanshen. The speed and the energy are what make it a fun song. The "Hi Seiga, tag team? Hi Yoshika, OH SHIT Danmaku!" Effect made it all the more fitting. And as some Novad said on a Youtube comment:
Quote from: Novad
I can't help but laugh hysterically whenever I manage to spot Yoshika among all the danmaku. Just looking at her derp around is hilarious. And when you shoot her down, she just lies there like " : D I'm useful!!"

She's so dumb but we love her

Further mentioning Futatsuiwa from Sado and Rigid Paradise. These two just fit their characters so well.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:40 AM »
Old Yuanshen. It really takes the cake.
a true admin is fine too

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
A Small Desire's Starry Sky, mainly because it fits the atmosphere and stage setting so well.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
Man, this is a tough one. There are a bunch of songs in TD that I like, but none of them exactly stand out way above the rest. I'd probably give it to A Small Desire's Starry Sky - who knew ZUN could create awesome beats like that? :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 02:23:05 PM »
Yeah, Starry Sky of Small Desires.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:46 PM »
I actually have no clear favorite, but...
True Administrator, Futatsuiwa From Sado, Night Sakura of Dead Spirits, and Let's Live in a Lovely Cemetery come to mind.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 02:48:03 PM »
Favourite stage theme is Desire Drive, now I wished ZUN would make more stages in cave tunnels. I mean SA Stage 1 theme was pretty awesome, and this is just amazing.
Favourite boss theme is Old Distant Hermit, it is a bit short but it's very catchy and upbeat. I like upbeat stuff. :V