Author Topic: "Placeholder Sign [I can't think of a name]" (Spell Card Help Topic IV)  (Read 223493 times)

Re: "Placeholder Sign [I can't think of a name]" (Spell Card Help Topic IV)
« Reply #90 on: November 20, 2011, 09:41:39 PM »
Of course you did. I'm the only nice person around here after all.  :D

« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2011, 02:36:20 AM »
Is there any way to make Boundary of Life and Death any easier? It seems like the additional waves aren't static, but I can't figure out how they work.

Zil

« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2011, 03:40:41 AM »
I know there's a safespot, but I'm not sure how to make it work. If you don't want to cheat like that, it's basically just reading and dodging. I try not move too much if I don't have to, and stay in a spot where the bubbles won't be aimed at me.

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #93 on: November 23, 2011, 05:08:30 AM »
* Donut takes a deep breath

Hah...I never thought I would finally ask, but I simply must if I hope to ever exorcise these demons entirely and eliminate the compulsion to perfect bosses forever.

How do you do the safespot for Border of Life and Death? I've seen it done and even did it accidentally once, but I haven't the foggiest how to do it. I hate safespots that ruin cards more than anything, but this card is simply too difficult - I've only ever captured it legitimately once, and without the safespot I cannot hope to ever perfect Yukari even by chance.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Zil

« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2011, 05:48:38 AM »
I don't think this card should be too difficult for someone who's perfected nearly every other boss (Scarlet Meister wtf!) I believe that once she adds a wave, it continues to shoot the same way every time, so you can kind of "memorize" it as you go. Personaly, I find, for some mysterious reason, that whenever I do this spell I am reminded of one of those old Simon Says things, where it lists a combination of colors and you have to push buttons in the right order (Or even a Bop-It, if you know what that is). Even without the safe spot, you just keep repeating the same pattern of movement to dodge it, and with each new wave, you incorporate another movement into your pattern. And like I said earlier, stand where the bubbles won't be aimed at you. (I'm wondering why I didn't go into detail in my previous post about this spell...)
As for the safe spot, I hope someone else does explain it, because I'd like to know it myself. :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:50:56 AM by Zil »

nintendonut888

« Reply #95 on: November 23, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
Just because I've perfected so many bosses doesn't mean I'm invincible. ;^^ I'm just as susceptible to a difficult spell card as anyone else.

And well, I figured that, even if I never consciously thought about it. The problem is of course that Yukari keeps moving.

Also, there's the issue that I'm simply not that experienced with Yukari's fight. Due to it being very long and not the most interesting of fights, I haven't even played the stage 50 times since beating it for the first time. Also, this card is simply very hard. I tried it now and could not do it once it came to the last phase. X(

Still...other than that very unappealing aspect of length, the only two spell cards that really stand in my way of perfecting her are BoLaD and Double Death Butterfly. But I really don't want to practice spam a fourteen minute stage. ;>_> I hope I can be content just to know the method.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:20:31 AM by nintendonut888 »
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2011, 06:34:47 AM »
I watched the WR replays and did BoLaD like that without thinking too much about it. The safespot felt pretty intuitive to me.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Moving very little worked for me, if i see that Yukari moves to another place i just stay where i was and hope that she comes back (the last phase finishes too fast, i don't think that i have ever died to it, blue balls are the biggest problem imo)

Or you can use Sakuya A  :V

DBDB is just practice, i'm sure that you will understand it after two or three runs of the stage
Youtube

[07:02] <SeppoMobile> You be a superplayer, I'm a superfaggot

« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2011, 02:11:33 PM »
Still...other than that very unappealing aspect of length, the only two spell cards that really stand in my way of perfecting her are BoLaD and Double Death Butterfly.

I understand what you are saying but really, do you desire a perfect Yukari run where you cheatspot one of the only threatening attacks? Would you really consider that a true perfect run? Just go for the perfect fight casually. You'll get it eventually.

« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
Whoohoo! Took a break from trying to beat Flandre and ragequitting lunatic TD (to unlock overdrives for my laptop) and decided to try PCB. On a whim I decided to do extra with a non-homing shot (Reimu B, which, according to my history, I have NEVER reached Ran before) to see if I could clear Ran a second time.

It was one of my worst stage playthroughs (THREE DEATHS), but definitely my best ever boss playthrough. Perfect Ran battle all the way (take that Charming Seige) to Ultimate Buddhist, which I derped to the laser. The only part I was disappointed with was Kokkuri-San's Contract, which I can never seem to do well in. I'm really close to capturing Unilateral Contract and Descent of Izuna Gongen too, only a few tries more. Izuna Gongen could have been a capture too had I not bombed for safety.

Replay here: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=17099

EDIT: I've also just discovered the awesomeness of The Grimorie of Alice. Both versions. They now hold 2nd and maybe 1st place on my favourite Touhou music list

EDIT2: SHIT THIS IS IN THE WRONG THREAD
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 01:55:58 AM by GuppyForce »

nintendonut888

« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
I understand what you are saying but really, do you desire a perfect Yukari run where you cheatspot one of the only threatening attacks? Would you really consider that a true perfect run? Just go for the perfect fight casually. You'll get it eventually.

No, I want this perfect over and done with. :V I don't really like Yukari's fight, so I don't really care for my normal ethics. Note how I've said I've captured BoLaD once.

« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2011, 04:35:15 PM »
No, I want this perfect over and done with. :V I don't really like Yukari's fight, so I don't really care for my normal ethics. Note how I've said I've captured BoLaD once.

Alright. I don't blame you at all. I'm the same really, Mokou and Flandre. Good luck working out your safespot.  ;)

nintendonut888

« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2011, 05:07:29 PM »
Well, watching a world record replay didn't help; the guy didn't even use the safespot. :wat: Well, until I learn this safespot, at least I can be free of the burden of trying to perfect Yukari. It'd just be a waste of time.

« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »
I don't know if this helps but I saw in one video that you need to "stay on the left side and misdirect the white bullets and butterflies" or something like that. I'll see if I can find the video.

nintendonut888

« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2011, 08:12:43 PM »
I accidentally did the safespot by starting on Yukari's left. However, upon trying again it turned out to be a fluke. That seems to be part of the safespot, but it doesn't help me unless I know how to do it 100% of the time. :\ You say you know of a video though?

Zil

« Reply #105 on: November 23, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
I did it accidentaly once. If you want to see that replay I suppose I could upload it. Maybe seeing several replays would reveal the trick?

nintendonut888

« Reply #106 on: November 23, 2011, 08:47:56 PM »
Possibly. I'll take any help I can get, so please upload. :D

« Reply #107 on: November 23, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »
This one. 7:48 is when BoLaD starts.

Zil

« Reply #108 on: November 23, 2011, 09:04:14 PM »
My own replay. This was a no-focus run, if you're wondering why I don't focus. :derp: - Replay

I also found a Youtube video - Youtube video

For DDB, I know of a trick where you utilize the brief moment of invincbility after a border to dodge the first wave. Technically you are neither dying, bombing, or border breaking, so maybe you'd count that in a prefect run. You go through a solid wall of bullets though.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 10:10:11 PM by Zil »

nintendonut888

« Reply #109 on: November 23, 2011, 09:34:41 PM »
Hmm, I didn't know Jaimers had cracked it. In that case, I shall take my question directly to him, since he seems to know more about the card than I do (I didn't even know there was a part of the card to misdirect. ???) Thanks for your help guys. o/

Zil

« Reply #110 on: November 23, 2011, 10:09:31 PM »
Hmm, I didn't know Jaimers had cracked it. In that case, I shall take my question directly to him, since he seems to know more about the card than I do (I didn't even know there was a part of the card to misdirect. ???) Thanks for your help guys. o/
If you find the answer could you post it here? I'd really like to know as well. :D I guess I could ask Jaimers too though.

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »
Sorry for the spam but...

Royal Flare - Would you recommend going into the second wave from the left or staying put near the centre?

Cranberry Trap - I don't understand this one. Is there any strategy for it?

Kagome, Kagome - I've got a pretty decent capture rate on this, but is there any pattern to the bubbles?

Maze of Love - I guess this is just practice, managed one circle but still having trouble

Counter Clock - The 2nd wave is kinda fast...

Stradivarius (Hard) - I know I should be going for Lyrica, but am I supposed to go to the top for every wave for this or dodge at the bottom?

Hydro Camouflage (Hard) - All of Nitori's stuff is hard but this one is just...

Kizui Clear Water - I'm slowly getting the hang of this, but when two waves come at once...

Ancestors - Captured first time, never again, but I'm slowly getting it. Should I dodge the 1st/3rd wave slightly to the right or top of the middle bottom?

Superego - I've captured Release of the Id once, but this one is just terror. :(

BoWaP (Hard) - Normal mode was fine, hard is wtf. Guess this is another practice card

Guerrilla Typhoon - Hate this, another practice card?

Karakasa's Surprising Slash - Any tips other than reaction/blindspot? Captured one of the first few times and never again

Undefined Darkness - Nue is easy all the way till here, then I die. (Except Red UFO, but I figured that before and just need to remember it)

The huge amount of skill based spells here just makes me want to facepalm at everyone who thinks Touhou is all memorisation. Also, I did pretty well on Virtue of Wind God (Hard), then Kanako got to low health. Does it get harder then, because it seems very much more wall-happy? Finally, I just learnt the importance of rank in PCB, hard mode looks easier than normal sometimes because of this (Like Lily's opener)

« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »

Its pretty tough yes but it becomes more manageable when you have your approach down. What I usually do is find the largest possible area between the straight lines and focus all my attention on the blue bullets. Not much trick tbh, practice the pattern until you find an approach that works for you.

Ancestors - Captured first time, never again, but I'm slowly getting it. Should I dodge the 1st/3rd wave slightly to the right or top of the middle bottom?

Stick close to her for the first wave of lasers, then go down to the bottom. Stream the bullets and move back to the middle. Repeat until you win.

BoWaP (Hard) - Normal mode was fine, hard is wtf. Guess this is another practice card

Its static afaik so you can just memorize the pattern until you can read it.
Would provide help with more cards but I'm a little pressed on time right now. Will post about the others when I get home if no one has done so before that.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2011, 05:39:16 PM »
Responses in bold:

Sorry for the spam but...
Hey don't worry, we're here to help. :V

Royal Flare - Would you recommend going into the second wave from the left or staying put near the centre?
First off, which character are you playing as? MarisaA and ReimuB can end the card really quickly by staying pretty much in the center. ReimuB naturally takes a bit longer, but she can dodge through the first two waves something like this. It is a static attack, so if you feel more comfortable going somewhere else, learn that spot instead. Unfortunately I don't know much of the card past that, so I'd ask someone else.

Cranberry Trap - I don't understand this one. Is there any strategy for it?
The pink waves are aimed at the center of the screen, while the blue ones are aimed at you. Use some vertical streaming to make sure you can stay under Flandre as she moves.

Kagome, Kagome - I've got a pretty decent capture rate on this, but is there any pattern to the bubbles?
I believe it goes like this: first pair, both bubbles aimed away from you; second and third pairs, first aimed away, second aimed at you (she fires three bubbles as part of that one).

Maze of Love - I guess this is just practice, managed one circle but still having trouble
Yep, pretty much. Completely static again.

Counter Clock - The 2nd wave is kinda fast...
It's all aimed. Get to the bottom-right corner quickly and dodge there, keeping in mind that it is in fact aimed.

Stradivarius (Hard) - I know I should be going for Lyrica, but am I supposed to go to the top for every wave for this or dodge at the bottom?
Honestly I've never played this card before, though a quick video search seems to show a safespot by Lunasa if you feel like using it. All the same, just pick Lyrica. :V

Yeah, reading the fast glowing bullets was tough for me too, though after the first couple of waves or so I would get more used to it. Remember to stay in as open an area as possible so you can avoid the rows of white bullets afterwards.

Kizui Clear Water - I'm slowly getting the hang of this, but when two waves come at once...
If you're that uncomfortable dodging two at once, simply move through one of them earlier than the other.

Just as Zengeku said, pretty much. You can do either approach, really.

Superego - I've captured Release of the Id once, but this one is just terror. :(
These two cards act like true opposites of each other, including the approaches you need to capture them. Release of the Id is best handled relatively close to Koishi (where the hearts are moving pretty much diagonally), while Superego should be dealt with near the bottom of the screen (same reasoning as Release).

Zengeku beat me to it, but yes, learn it. An interesting tidbit for the future is that for the Lunatic version, even though the bullets appear to be moving faster, it's otherwise the exact same pattern as the Hard version. Even more incentive to study it now, I guess.

This one is a dodging card, so yeah, keep at it until you find something that helps you go through each wave consistently.

Karakasa's Surprising Slash - Any tips other than reaction/blindspot? Captured one of the first few times and never again
Something I like to do when each wave is almost about to activate is to get in between two lasers and move with the space in between them as they go to a stop. It helps mitigate the "reaction" aspect of this attack.

Undefined Darkness - Nue is easy all the way till here, then I die. (Except Red UFO, but I figured that before and just need to remember it)
The best way to tackle this card is to misdirect Nue to another position near the top of the screen. For instance, if she starts near the top-right, move to her left, then go back under her when she moves. Then go to her right for the next wave. Do this around 4-5 times (depending on which character you are), then just stay under Nue until the card ends.

The huge amount of skill based spells here just makes me want to facepalm at everyone who thinks Touhou is all memorisation. Also, I did pretty well on Virtue of Wind God (Hard), then Kanako got to low health. Does it get harder then, because it seems very much more wall-happy? Finally, I just learnt the importance of rank in PCB, hard mode looks easier than normal sometimes because of this (Like Lily's opener)
Who thinks that, honestly? As for VoWG, the card gets more difficult with time, not with lower health. I guess it only looks that way since the amulet walls only start overlapping on Hard by the time you would bring Kanako down to low health. And rank differences are almost nonexistent in PCB - the only place you'll see a difference IIRC is Lyrica's opener at max rank. Lily's opener is actually another memo attack, aimed red arrowheads amidst a set pattern of white bullets.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Zil

« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:39 PM »

The advice for these was great so far. I don't mean to just throw my videos around willy-nilly, but this should showcase some good ways to dodge these cards, especially Guerrilla Typhoon and Undefined Darkness.
As for VoWG getting harder with time as you inflict damage, I'm pretty sure it doesn't, though the potential of each wave to be abnormally difficult it considerable. After a set time, it does get harder.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:52:30 PM by Zil »

« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
What Funen meant was that it gets harder once a set amount of time has passed which is around 50 seconds on Hard and 20 on Lunatic iirc. It doesn't get harder from there.

Zil

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »
Oops, :V I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with him. Yeah there's a certain point were it changes, but there is no steady increase like with some other cards, and it has nothing to do with damage, which is what I should have said.

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2011, 12:17:36 AM »
I don't know much about Royal Flare either, beyond what's needed for a capture.
Basically I figured out a way (after ~100 tries, around 2 years ago...) to survive the first 2 waves with 1 precise movement.
That way it works for all characters because Reimu A is the slowest in killing it and she only goes a bit into the third wave.
I dunno about other people, but for me it is pretty consistent (90%+ capture rate).

See here:
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,6504.msg392132.html#msg392132
Old terribad replay (that demonstrates the point): http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=9624

« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2011, 02:27:22 PM »
>shamelessly farms all the advice given to others on annoying spells

It's a little tardy, but thanks a heap Zil! I was panicking in Normal and even Easy on this card because I just didn't know the pattern, but this should really help. The replays'll be useful too~~~
Hard 1ccs
Completed: IN, MoF, SA, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

Extra 1ccs
Completed: EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, DDC, LoLK, HSiFS

« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2011, 04:17:54 AM »
Is there a reliable way to do Yuyuko's final card (not RB) on Normal? I understand that it's streaming but it's...weird.