Author Topic: Genius of Sappheiros revival thread  (Read 193677 times)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
Genius of Sappheiros revival thread
« on: August 08, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
I'm sure many of you noticed, but progress on the translation patch for this game has been re-awakened, and it's going rather smoothly. You should be able to play without crashes in general now, and most, if not all the storyline is fully translated. As are skills and items, it's wonderful!
Download the translation patch here:
http://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,10383.0.html

I myself am starting a new game to enjoy it completely, kinda a bummer since I just got a buncha rare drops on my old one IIRC.
That being said, does anybody know the purpose of Aya's camera spell? I find that regardless of if I camera an enemy or not, the bestiary section for them seems to be completely filled regardless, what gives?

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
Re: Genius of Sappheiros revival thread
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
No idea.  But then, I haven't had Aya in my active party since the SDM.

REISEN

Tewi I can deal with.  Reisen is fine right until she decides that my entire party is now berzerk, at which point I may as well restart.  I'm going to have to Private Square her face off, most likely.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:35 PM »
I was just about to ask Choja about this again today.  Beautiful.

I forgot where I am in the game, but I'm not very far. :V  Whatever stage the sunflower field was (oh my god i forgot the name).

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:29:11 AM »
That being said, does anybody know the purpose of Aya's camera spell? I find that regardless of if I camera an enemy or not, the bestiary section for them seems to be completely filled regardless, what gives?

IIRC you need to camera a certain amount of enemies to get a formation.

EDIT: Yes I was right. You need to camera 11 enemies, then recover at the shrine recovery point with Aya in party to get the Sonic Stream formation.

Tewi I can deal with.  Reisen is fine right until she decides that my entire party is now berzerk, at which point I may as well restart.  I'm going to have to Private Square her face off, most likely.

Give Reimu berserk protection, 25 points in her borders tree and her healing ofuda spell, use a line based formation and spam healing ofuda every turn. Bring along Alice too to use Marionette Pareil every turn (I think you need a bunch of points in her first tree to reduce cooldown of that to 0) as well since Reisen hits pretty hard, and the team facing Tewi can just up avoidability to get by.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 01:33:30 AM by RegalStar »

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:58:45 AM »
Lingering Summer Heat is awesome but you have to deal with the tedium that is the main game first. orz.

Having finished the game, I have a reasonable amount of knowledge on it, so...

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 01:31:52 PM »
Almost at penultimate boss over here, glad to see it's up. Is there still anything missing from the TouhouWiki guide?

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 04:09:51 PM »
If you mean the penultimate of Lingering Summer Heat, then please go fill in the walkthrough from stage 24 and on. I'm restarting my file since I wanna see the dialogs and because I cheat engined unlimited forging materials on my old file anyways.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 06:12:15 PM »
Is there a NG+ feature in this game or something? Kinda sad I have to wait until post game before I get to play with the new characters, I hope I can start a new game with them at level 1 after or something, though I doubt it.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:01:59 PM »
There's no NG+ as far as I know.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:51:14 AM »
So I gotta ask: What formations do you guys use/find the most useful? I seem to only use the Hakurei Type and Hinotori Skydance.

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 03:36:07 AM »
Sunshine Launch works GREAT with Marionette Peril, and Poison Guard works great with Hourai Doll. If I don't have Alice, I usually use Last Moriya or maybe Neo Hakurei Type (though as the game goes later and later, you'll find Alice more and more necessary to have in your party at all times).

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 03:46:52 AM »
Hakkurei and skydance are pretty  much the only ones I use atm too. I seem to recall I made use of another one in my last playthru though. I mean, if you're going to fight a boss or most of the trash is only dangerous with aoe attacks rather than single target nukes, having a tank or meatshield isn't as important, (it may even be counter productive if you have a formation that boosts defenses for the entire party or whatever instead of all for one).

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 03:50:54 AM »
Most of the time I use Skydance, though for the split parties I had the magic party set to Magician's Circle.  I've tried messing with Freefight and the like for Marionette Peril, but I rarely use it even in boss fights, so...yeah, not so much.

By the way, can anyone provide a listing of formations and where to get them?  I know there was one floating around some time back but I haven't the faintest idea where it went.

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2011, 04:53:08 AM »
I really don't like skydance because it butchers the defense of anyone that isn't in the center. For trash I don't memorize attacks all that much, so if the other side uses a target-all attack then I'm more or less screwed. For bosses I like to establish defense before offense (I have terrible luck with damage rushes), and bosses usually have some form of stray area targetting attack so reducing defense of members is pretty counterproductive.

I might try one of those "all offense/speed and no defense" formations in stage 20 this run, though, since it seems to be rather impossible to establish a good defense against the mobs there without Alice, so maybe going with a "kill them before they kill me" mindset might change things a little.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:37 AM »
Skydance isn't that bad, it reduces the chance of enemies using target-all attack and instead use single-target or small spread attack on the center character.

Anima Zero

• Captain of the Spear
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 09:42:05 AM »
Nifty.  Gives me a reason to jump back into this game now.

I probably should start over to see the story, but I'm currently at stage 18 (The 3 party split stage I believe).  That and I have some nice equips too.

Or maybe I could just start a seperate file and jump back to my old one after it reaches the same point.

Choices, choices...
"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero..." Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

Aba Matindesu!

• keep it gwiyoming
  • DASEU RAESISSEU
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:55 AM »
If you mean the penultimate of Lingering Summer Heat, then please go fill in the walkthrough from stage 24 and on. I'm restarting my file since I wanna see the dialogs and because I cheat engined unlimited forging materials on my old file anyways.
Oh, I meant the original game, as in I haven't fought Biotopos yet.

Speaking of formations, shouldn't there be a list of those up, too?

teets mi hao 2 2hu teets mi teets mi hao 2 2hu

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 12:26:30 AM »
Well, lemme say a few formations I know about.

Sonic Stream = 11 successful Aya Scans on monsters lower level then her (Just go back to stage 1/2/3 and do it easy), then go to a healing circle (Used Hakurei Shrine's, don't think it's relevant.)
-It says that this formation always lets you move first. Didn't test it though.

Poison Shield = Something to do with killing stuff with Deadly Poison. You might need to beat Stage 8 boss before you can get it . Just have Byakuren use Hyper Trigger on Satori, and have her use Poison Art on an enemy encounter that is completely vulnerable, and defend until they die. Go to a healing circle after you do this to get it; I personally used the Sunflower Field one but I don't think it's relevant which.
-This formation is actually pretty cool. One spot in the front gets "amazing defense", while everyone else is in the rear. In other words, put Alice in the front and have her spam Parrar to shield the entire party. Also protects the party from poison.

Inferno/???? = Use Satori's Last Word 10 times (First formation) and 25 times(Second formation), then go talk to Okuu/Orin.  I'm at about 15 uses so I don't know the second one.
-Inferno boosts everyone's attack, lowers their defense, and increases Fire damage and resistance. Iunno about the second one, as I haven't gotten it yet.

Shinigami Formation = I think this requires 10 total party wipes, but I'm not sure. Go back to Komachi after you defeat her and poke her, and you'll get it. If this is the 10 total party wipe formation, then I think poking Komachi again after 100 wipes might get you another one, but I'm not sure. That might be Tenshi you're supposed to poke for 100.
-Raises everyone's resistance to instant death. Nothing special.

some formation about the devil, whatever = Kick Meiling a whole bunch of times after you get Sakuya. Maybe it was 256. Just hold A for awhile, this isn't as bad as it sounds, but you should probably eat something while you hold the button anyway.
-Useless, this is a 2 person formation. Unless you have 2 people wiping one boss in the triple-split stage, you're never going to use only 2 people, now are you?

Those are the formations I remember and have gotten. Not sure how to get anything else, apart from the automatically obtained ones.
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:17 PM »
I've been waiting for an english translation for this for quite a bit.  While it isn't perfect, it's enough for me to get through the game (IE, main story).  I just have one complaint...

Who in the world thought it was a good idea to force you to wait
Spoiler:
An entire hour
in real life if you wanted to recruit
Spoiler:
Byakuren
early on?  /shakes fist

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 07:55:29 PM »
I've been waiting for an english translation for this for quite a bit.  While it isn't perfect, it's enough for me to get through the game (IE, main story).  I just have one complaint...

Who in the world thought it was a good idea to force you to wait
Spoiler:
An entire hour
in real life if you wanted to recruit
Spoiler:
Byakuren
early on?  /shakes fist

Just cheat engine past it. Load up the game, click enable speedhack and set it to run on 6x speed or something. Alternatively, you can just skip the whole thing and you'll still get Byakuren right before stage 11.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 07:59:32 PM »
Just cheat engine past it. Load up the game, click enable speedhack and set it to run on 6x speed or something. Alternatively, you can just skip the whole thing and you'll still get Byakuren right before stage 11.

It's no big deal, as I did it while watching videos.  Still think it's a bit crazy of a JRPG to ask that :P

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 12:48:23 AM »
You might also want to keep a save file that starts off at the beginning of the game with Byakuren and Mokou unlocked. Attached is mine.

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »
You might also want to keep a save file that starts off at the beginning of the game with Byakuren and Mokou unlocked. Attached is mine.

That's...Actually a good idea.  Thanks for that!

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:03 AM »
I just found a way to circumvent the whole "party wipe = loss of all items obtained in dungeon" thing. In your backup save folder there's a backup save that has a name not of the format "backup_xxx.sav" (There are actually two files, but only one of them is the backup save - it should save the same size as your original save). Copy that to your save folder and rename it to whatever name your save file originally was, and you'll find that after loading you will actually still be in the middle of the dungeon, a little bit before when you were wiped out (might be more, depends on how often you backup - I recommend you enter the menu and exit every time you get a good enemy drop). The encounters won't change, though, so you should be ready for whatever wiped you out the first time so it doesn't happen again.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2011, 02:25:58 AM »
That's good to know. I read the help thing in the library just before patchy/sakuya, and it says you wont evne lose items if you wipe after using that save circle thing...It lies, you do. doohhh.

That being said, I just beat up yuyu/youmo using the same method I did last time, works even better than I remembered and it's not in the wiki.
Use Nitori >=P, her chasers WILL hit yuyu (seems they can't miss or something), but they do phys, so they ignore her crazy high mdef, and they are her naturally weak element. Nitori, who was only level 13 or 15 or something, managed to dish out over 2000 damage to her in one turn using just fire chaser. The amount of damage I did really surprised me, and wasn't expecting her to die when she still had half her health left, so I wasn't ready for the ressurection butterfly...But she never casted it. I don't know if chasers bypass that too for some reason, or if patchy's fire world thing or whatever it's called eliminates it. I d idn't raymoo barrior or anything though. Or maybe she doesn't cast it if you kill her and youmu on the same turn? no clue.

Edit: What is the 2nd earliest enemy that drops silver platters? I re-killed all of the magic forest for those orange demon dudes, and I only got 2 to spawn in the entire damn dungeon, fail. Nothing else drops them so far either. I'm not sure if I want to spend them or not knowing there is no reliable way to get more.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:28:38 AM by Ghaleon »

Barrakketh

• You're suddenly Director of Fixing That Shit!
  • Vice President of It's Your Problem Now.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 02:49:07 AM »
Shinigami Formation = I think this requires 10 total party wipes, but I'm not sure. Go back to Komachi after you defeat her and poke her, and you'll get it. If this is the 10 total party wipe formation, then I think poking Komachi again after 100 wipes might get you another one, but I'm not sure. That might be Tenshi you're supposed to poke for 100.
-Raises everyone's resistance to instant death. Nothing special.
25 wipes.  I wouldn't say "nothing special"...I watched chefmkt's Let's Play, and the LSH expansion showed that Yuyuko is a total bitch who can use SFN any time she wants.

You'll meet the requirements if you get the "Basics of Battle" (or whatever it was translated as) from Tenshi, since that requires 100.

That being said, I just beat up yuyu/youmo using the same method I did last time, works even better than I remembered and it's not in the wiki.
Use Nitori >=P, her chasers WILL hit yuyu (seems they can't miss or something), but they do phys, so they ignore her crazy high mdef, and they are her naturally weak element. Nitori, who was only level 13 or 15 or something, managed to dish out over 2000 damage to her in one turn using just fire chaser.
I used Nitori as a commander for that fight.  Stock up on bombs, and when you're ready to kill Yuyuko use Nitori's Bad Camouflage every turn so your party will have an easy time hitting her.
Cheating? I cannot even wrap my head around the point of it. Wouldn't you know you had cheated? How on Earth could you maintain crisp certainty of your superiority to all others? And if you're unable to do that, what's the point of anything?

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 03:04:27 AM »
I used Nitori as a commander for that fight.  Stock up on bombs, and when you're ready to kill Yuyuko use Nitori's Bad Camouflage every turn so your party will have an easy time hitting her.

That would work too wouldn't it? Still though I don't think there is a way to hit yuyu 100% of the time for physical AND elemental damage. She's weak to the basic elements, and she has low physical defense. Your method would only take advantage of low def but wouldn't pwn her elemental weaknesses (without going thru her high mdef that is)...But your method is also safer in the way that a killed nitori doesn't really screw you over too bad.

Still though, Nitori breaks yuyu >=)

RegalStar

• Envoy of Balance
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 03:26:46 AM »
I just have Sanae boost accuracy and I never have problems hitting Yuyuko with physicals, so spamming sunny strike is plenty. Nitori is obviously great against Yuyuko to begin with since she's the only elemental physical attacker so far, other than Mokou's extremely inefficient Flying Phoenix.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:31 AM »
20 POWs in Nitori's Gun skill tree will make Nitori's attacks ignore Perfect Dodging(the green misses), which makes hitting Yuyuko much easier.
Signature

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »
Dear god I need to level up. Komachi. 1st turn, coin toss, hits party for 120-150.. party dies except alice. She apparently, does not need to cast power sink or whatever it is before coin toss, she CAN do it without doing such. That was with dark resistance gear on many of my guys. 2nd turn. power sink, then life-whatever on the same turn, nails alice for 260.. she has 150 hp at max. derp derp.