Author Topic: SoEW Extra Help!  (Read 2437 times)

LoveSign

SoEW Extra Help!
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
I'm currently trying to do a 'no tapping' (i.e. hold down the shoot key instead of firing it faster like you normally have to in PoDD or PoFV) run of the SoEW Extra stage. I lucked out because the time I played the Extra I knew about tapping, but I wanted to see how much more difficult it gets without it ('cause Donut had to do it this way). I've currently done it 1cc normal and hard, but the extra is making me FFUUUUUUUUUUUU

1st off - shot type recommendations? I'm not a fan of ReimuA's weird Max power shot mechanics (the width of the square amulets changes if you tap shot + move back), so I'm down to using either ReimuB or ReimuC. ReimuB appears to be far stronger while shotgunning due to a longer bomb and tighter spread, but not terribly strong unless you're mashing the attack button. ReimuC's slow movement makes up for the lack of focus (using this type currently), and the strength means I can pop a couple of the orbs early on before the horizontal star section for big powerups. Or is another Reimu actually stronger VS. EES? Reimu C usually has the red shot + 2 missiles hitting, better than the others at long range when not at max power, or should I be using shotgun bombing? Does ReimuC actually really suck and I just haven't noticed?

2nd - The section of shots that appear right before EES, is there a safespot I'm missing? Currently my strategy is start at top right corner and move to the top left, manuvering through the last set of tight bullets, but I can't do it reliably enough, and if I have to bomb it, I then go into the EES fight without a bomb to preserve my max power if a stray bullet gets too close.

I can currently get through the level without dying or bombing up to the series of spinny green enemies firing huge expanding rings of shots, at which point I often have to bomb (not quite taking out all of them), and then lose a life. It's pretty tight dodging, and it's really all down to luck since without being able to mash the attack key, you can't kill them fast enough as you'd normally be able to, even when you're max power by that point.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
Re: SoEW Extra Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »
Without tapping, you're expected to lose quite a few resources.

Refer to this older video I did to rub it in donut's face (note this was done back in early July).

Shot recommendations: Anything goes. I used ReimuA, though I seriously wouldn't recommend it. B or C are much better choices.
Pre-Boss bullets: Static. But due to no focus being present, it's very hard to control yourself and move through "with the same set of movements every time" (especially with ReimuA  :V). I don't recall seeing a safespot. Perhaps if you keep replaying that part in the video, you might see one in one of the corners.

Other than that, there's not much else to say. Good luck.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

LoveSign

Re: SoEW Extra Help!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 10:27:41 PM »
Sweet! I've checked YouTube, I can't believe I didn't see that run. I'm hating this no tapping since EES has so much damn health and I'm just not consistent with a few of his cheaper, speedy shots. I can even beat the bouncy balls phase but I still get hit weaving through it sometimes. Once that's done it's just a matter of not messing up against his two easier phases (and not getting killed by the pillar of light he shoots when he dies. -_-)