Author Topic: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E  (Read 283012 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: Games You're Playing Right Now Thread VI - Even in this thread, F O E
« Reply #570 on: September 01, 2016, 12:28:25 AM »
Half my game time is going to a replay of Dungeon Travellers 2, with a team consisting of a Valkyrie and a Enchantress/Magical Princess up front, and a Witch, Diva and Priestess/Sage in the back. It's very weird having most of my firepower be from magic users.

The other half, since I finally bit the bullet, is going to a very first, very blind (and I intend to keep it that way) playthrough of the original Etrian Odyssey. I haven't played any of this series before and I'm just up to B5F. Now that I've gotten into the groove a bit I'm enjoying it a lot, but this is a damn stressful game. :V
Let's fight.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

• Girl from beyond the 7th Dimension
« Reply #571 on: September 02, 2016, 07:07:00 AM »
I'm actually kind of really salty that I've yet to see an PDX-exclusive Module. All of them I've gotten so far have been from f and F 2nd.

In other news, so many games I have pre-ordered are coming out in the next two months. hype?
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,
So that we may always be at your side.

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #572 on: September 05, 2016, 12:42:05 AM »
I didn't have many upcoming games to be excited for, especially with Mankind Divided... well, let's be honest, it just not being the second coming of Christ disappoints me on principle since Human Revolution set a ridiculous bar. Watch_Dogs 2 still excites me, but not as incredibly much as when it started, and Forza Horizon 3 was announced to close to release for me to be able to budget for it. However, NASCAR Heat Evolution is dangerously close to getting me to blow my entire budget because we haven't had a really good (serious, semi-realistic) dedicated NASCAR title in a decade. I'm waiting to see how reviews and such of that go, but it's surprisingly taken top of my wishlist.

For now, though, it's back to NASCAR Unleashed and GRID Autosport for my racing needs. I play a little of Autosport every week since it has weekly events, and Unleashed every time I want to recapture that feeling of bashing Hot Wheels together. For action games, I'm returning to PAYDAY 2, and trying out the Biker heist finally, I can safely say the level itself lives up to the very high standard set by its ridiculously badass music, especially on the train-top battle of Day 2. Archer may be right; you're basically still on the train so there's no good reason to fight on top of it, but it still looks really cool.

Finally, I've gotten to replaying Assassin's Creed Brotherhood. The story missions are decent design, nothing overly exciting by the series' standards, but taking some time off from those and just going around rebuilding Rome, making investments to rebuild landmarks all pretty and exploring gorgeous ruins and underground lairs early Tomb Raider style is supremely relaxing. That, and, well, the Raiden costume makes the entire game better. Why be a blatantly conspicuous Assassin when you can be a time-traveling cyborg badass who can blow stuff up with a gun for an arm?

CF7

• Can you feel the LOVE tonight?
« Reply #573 on: September 05, 2016, 11:55:03 AM »
So i am playing Rabi Ribi. It's a Bullet Hell Metroidvania.
Still in Chapter 1 and i decided to explore around a little. Found frozen palace and met 
Spoiler:
Nieve
a bear-girl there. Who during the fight jumped around like a deranged rabbit while shooting all sorts of snow and ice based attacks at me. It was quite fun actually. Then
Spoiler:
Nieve
asked me to find her sister, but as it turns out she was guarding Gravity Suit and i thought, screw finding your sister i can explore that underwater area now. Which i did.

And i found
Spoiler:
Seana
there. I am not sure if you're supposed to fight her later, or she's just stupidly hard optional boss, but that fight really puts Hell in to Bullet Hell.
She starts the fight all nice and slow and non-threatening, but when you deplete 1/3 of her hp, she steps up her game.
Now her attacks greatly restrict your ability to damage her, since either she's above you shooting stuff at you, or her projectiles require almost pixel perfect dodging skills, or her projectiles chase after you aggressively and then explode into bullets.
Then at 50% she uses her "portrait attack" which is more or less Shou's Most Valuable Vajra, i.e. she floats to the center of the room, and starts spinning 4 directional lasers clockwise while shooting stars in random directions. Followed by an attack when she once again is above you shooting and raining stars at you, followed by some curvy lasers that require some precise dodging.
Then on her last 1/3 of hp she starts using attacks which i have no idea how to deal with properly and always take damage from them. She shoots 3 orbs at you, which home on you quite fast and then after some time explode into tight rings of bullets. There are no gaps in these rings. Likely there's some trick to it, but i was always hit either by the rings of bullets, or by the orbs. Or she fills bottom of the screen with fast moving bouncing projectiles, which also leave small trail behind them.
I think it took me more than 20 tries to beat her.

Then i went and fought
Spoiler:
Nixie
-
Spoiler:
Nieve's
sister, which is more or less a berserk version of
Spoiler:
Nieve's
fight. It was so easy, compared to the hell described above i almost laughed.
Sometimes rumors are just... rumors

VIVIT

• Robot maid
  • ow my hand
« Reply #574 on: September 05, 2016, 06:52:38 PM »
Shiren the Wanderer SFC is badass. (Heavy gameplay spoilers!)

theshirn

• THE LAWS OF THE FIESTA MEAN NOTHING
    • Wisdom is Not a Dump Stat
« Reply #575 on: September 06, 2016, 01:16:01 AM »
oh god I beat EOU2 with five sovereigns and now I've lost all vestiges of my mind :ohdear:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #576 on: September 07, 2016, 06:45:03 AM »
So i am playing Rabi Ribi. It's a Bullet Hell Metroidvania.
Still in Chapter 1 and i decided to explore around a little. Found frozen palace and met 
Spoiler:
Nieve
a bear-girl there. Who during the fight jumped around like a deranged rabbit while shooting all sorts of snow and ice based attacks at me. It was quite fun actually. Then
Spoiler:
Nieve
asked me to find her sister, but as it turns out she was guarding Gravity Suit and i thought, screw finding your sister i can explore that underwater area now. Which i did.

And i found
Spoiler:
Seana
there. I am not sure if you're supposed to fight her later, or she's just stupidly hard optional boss, but that fight really puts Hell in to Bullet Hell.
She starts the fight all nice and slow and non-threatening, but when you deplete 1/3 of her hp, she steps up her game.
Now her attacks greatly restrict your ability to damage her, since either she's above you shooting stuff at you, or her projectiles require almost pixel perfect dodging skills, or her projectiles chase after you aggressively and then explode into bullets.
Then at 50% she uses her "portrait attack" which is more or less Shou's Most Valuable Vajra, i.e. she floats to the center of the room, and starts spinning 4 directional lasers clockwise while shooting stars in random directions. Followed by an attack when she once again is above you shooting and raining stars at you, followed by some curvy lasers that require some precise dodging.
Then on her last 1/3 of hp she starts using attacks which i have no idea how to deal with properly and always take damage from them. She shoots 3 orbs at you, which home on you quite fast and then after some time explode into tight rings of bullets. There are no gaps in these rings. Likely there's some trick to it, but i was always hit either by the rings of bullets, or by the orbs. Or she fills bottom of the screen with fast moving bouncing projectiles, which also leave small trail behind them.
I think it took me more than 20 tries to beat her.

Then i went and fought
Spoiler:
Nixie
-
Spoiler:
Nieve's
sister, which is more or less a berserk version of
Spoiler:
Nieve's
fight. It was so easy, compared to the hell described above i almost laughed.
Hey, you're already used to the first boss' attacks, you only really need to do slight variation to attacks you've already learned how to dodge. (Still took me way too long since the three of them were basically my last ones before endgame.)

That second boss, though... I think the hardest part for me in that fight is that she ascends to the top of her room for a lot of it, and forces you up there too. Probably helped for me that it had tons of lag because lol underwater with my processor.

I really want them to release it on PS4 already.

Anyway, I think I'm going to drop Dustforce. Even watching the SGDQ run of DX, I still don't understand how some of these gold keys are even probable to SS. I get too tense. Don't know what to replace it with. If I can wait a week, MeiQ most likely.

Also epic salt that they delayed Criminal Girls 2.
Let's Play: BIT.TRIP FLUX | Let's Play: Malicious | Skyward Sword: Shieldless Final Boss | Skyward Sword: Boss Rush! | Ace Combat Infinity: Campaign in the X-02 Wyvern

Move eternally forward,

Candra Software

• D-Blaster user
  • Hello, maidens!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #577 on: September 08, 2016, 05:34:54 PM »
I've been playing King of Fighters XIV recently. Online play is average at best, so far. The best I can do is just mash Cr. B into Flash Kick with Kim.

I can't decide on what Steam game I should play next. My laptop can't handle Spec Ops: The Line.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #578 on: September 09, 2016, 06:41:21 AM »
I'm kind of amazed there's not one poster who's commenting about Genso Rondo. I need to go through the tutorial again just so I can figure out how the heck I can bomb.

So I ended up dropping Dustforce for Diva F 2nd, which got subsequently dropped because my copy of Gal Gun came in, which will probably get dropped on Tuesday for MeiQ.

Move eternally forward,

Your Everyday NEET

• Part time Researcher & Let's Player, full time NEET, also an eel
« Reply #579 on: September 09, 2016, 03:53:04 PM »
Just finished Batman: Arkham Origin. Playing as Batman still goddamn awesome! But this game has a lot of problem. It's pretty unstable and buggy. It's completely playable, you can play it from start to finish without encountering bugs, but one bug could render the game unplayable, just like Touhou-A-Live I might say. The game crashes constantly when I played, using fast travel causes the game to load indefinitely during the loading screen and I need to wait around 2 minutes, and Alt-Tabbing to get it to work, so using fast travel actually makes you travel slower, and the FMV cutscene only runs at barely 10 frames per second, causing the cutscenes to be nigh unwatchable as the sounds and voice don't match the ridiculously cutscene. And then I tweak the game code a little, and voila! 60 FPS cutscene and fast travel that is actually fast. Game's still crashes constantly though.

Since I have experience in playing Arkham City, I breezed through the first few of the combat section, consistently getting A-S Rank. But as the game goes on, the combat become harder though. I don't like how if I and the enemy attack at the same time, chances are, the enemy will win. The only addition to the combat is Shock Gloves, and it is so ridiculously powerful. Using it basically breaks the combat because of its power. On top of dealing double damage, it also nets you 2 combo per hit (3 with critical), breaks through any form of protection, and when fully upgraded allows you to counter any attack that is not from big enemies. Armored enemy that requires stunning first? Penetrate it with Shock Gloves and watch as your combo goes sky high. Shield using enemy that requires aerial attack? Punch through it with Shock Gloves. Enemies with stun rod that needs to be attacked from behind? Punch through it with Shock Gloves. Why bother with Disarm and Destroy when Shock Gloves punch through everything and obtained much earlier than Disarm and Destroy?

Predator is still annoying. I think in Arkham Origin, you can only use Smoke Bomb as a defensive gadget, not offensive. Whereas I can takedowns 3 enemies at once using a Smoke Bomb in Arkham City, here, somehow enemies can still see me when I'm in the smoke and in the middle of takedown. I don't know if this a glitch or not, but I'm guessing its a glitch. There's only 1 new gadget in Arkham Origin, which is the Remote Claw you obtained from Deathstroke, it basically connects one object to another. When fully upgraded, it become so powerful that it eclipsed the other gadget and breaks the Predator segment. You can perform takedown without needing to close to the enemy. If the Predator maps has a gas canister, you can drag it to nearby enemy to cause instant takedown and immediately put the enemy into critical condition (You did just explode a gas canister into their face after all). And then you can hang enemy into the watchpoint if the enemy so much as to wander near it. I consistently got A-S rank in Predator segment after fully upgrading the Remote Claw. This game depict Batman's early experience in crime fighting and he's even stronger than he was in Arkham City.

Eventually, all good games must ends. I finished the main story, completed all the side quest (except Enigma because his sidequest is the longest and the most tedious), and having a good time throughout. But now, it's time to go back to less fun, and bullshittier game.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #580 on: September 10, 2016, 03:53:52 PM »
EO1 main game cleared. Party of Landspoon, Protector, Dark Hunter, Alchemist and Medic, all at 53. Pretty standard party I guess, but I had a lot of fun with it. I loved the 5th stratum twist. :D

Onward and downward to the postgame!
Let's fight.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #581 on: September 12, 2016, 02:33:09 PM »
After months and months of waiting for the price to drop I finally got ahold of Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for cheap. I like the first game a lot and wasn't sure this one was going to click with me because the format is way different and the controls aren't really well-suited for a handheld, but I ultimately really liked it.

The episodic structure made it hard to put down and the constant change of venue (there are five smaller haunted locations rather than one big one) meant no mechanic every overstayed its welcome. It's  a well-paced, compact game without feeling unsatisfying. Totally recommend given that it can easily be had for less than $20 now.

My only major complaint was that it never really felt like it wanted to be a handheld game. I got used to the abbreviated controls but never really appreciated them, and there were a handful of times when the small screen was a problem in rooms with fixed cameras but a deep field of view where you have to run way into the background and can barely tell what you're doing. I can't help but feel like it may have worked a bit better as a Wii-U title, although I do appreciate the lower price point.

Luigi has so much more character than Mario. And this game did the unthinkable and made the fact that Luigi is a plumber plot-relevant a couple of times.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:17:00 PM by commandercool »
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

theshirn

« Reply #582 on: September 14, 2016, 01:41:18 AM »
EO1 main game cleared. Party of Landspoon, Protector, Dark Hunter, Alchemist and Medic, all at 53. Pretty standard party I guess, but I had a lot of fun with it. I loved the 5th stratum twist. :D

Onward and downward to the postgame!
I can only recommend against this.

Godspeed, Sapz. :ohdear:

[09:46] <theshim|work> there is nothing like working for a real estate company to make one contemplate arson

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #583 on: September 14, 2016, 10:51:37 AM »
I can only recommend against this.

Godspeed, Sapz. :ohdear:
Currently explored
Spoiler:
the pit in 28F
and started on 27F for real. Also beat the
Spoiler:
dragon
but I now have to swap out my Dark Hunter for a Hexer because
Spoiler:
the drake likes to put up an ice wall and regenerate its health while laughing at me
. :V
Let's fight.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #584 on: September 15, 2016, 02:11:14 AM »
Started playing 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors earlier because people kept telling me it was an all-time classic, and I feel like I HAVE to be missing something because I fucking hate it so far. I think I hate it more than I've ever hated a game in the first half hour of playing. The text speed is excruciating. The text scrolls incredibly slowly and it repeats text a lot. As far as I can tell there's no way to speed it up and no way to skip forward. No button seems to work and I can't find an options menu to speed it up. Has anyone played this before who can tell me if there's a way to make it actually playable at a normal speed and I'm just being dumb and missing it? Because if there isn't I don't think I can keep playing, every time I pick it up I want to tear my 3DS in half.

Ionasal kkll Solciel

« Reply #585 on: September 15, 2016, 05:40:54 AM »
English Estra in MeiQ sounds really familiar... If she is who I think she is, I might have subconsciously thought of it when I named the first Guardian Earthes.

Seriously, though, one of the major gripes I have with translators that translate too literally shows up in the first few minutes, when everyone was calling the city they were in "Machina City Southern Cross". It's probably because it's considered a holy site by the characters, but just Southern Cross after the first usage would have been perfectly fine. Also, very obvious As You Know bit, because how do you need exposition for a place you're not only in, but have stayed the night in?

Move eternally forward,

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #586 on: September 15, 2016, 05:58:36 PM »
Started playing 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors earlier because people kept telling me it was an all-time classic, and I feel like I HAVE to be missing something because I fucking hate it so far. I think I hate it more than I've ever hated a game in the first half hour of playing. The text speed is excruciating. The text scrolls incredibly slowly and it repeats text a lot. As far as I can tell there's no way to speed it up and no way to skip forward. No button seems to work and I can't find an options menu to speed it up. Has anyone played this before who can tell me if there's a way to make it actually playable at a normal speed and I'm just being dumb and missing it? Because if there isn't I don't think I can keep playing, every time I pick it up I want to tear my 3DS in half.

Haaahaha no
You can only skip text in subsequent runs, if I recall

Its sequel does that, also, but you can at least advance the text early if you read fast.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #587 on: September 15, 2016, 06:02:39 PM »
Haaahaha no
You can only skip text in subsequent runs, if I recall

Its sequel does that, also, but you can at least advance the text early if you read fast.

WHAT.

Okay, well, I guess I quit then. This is fucking excruciating. Thanks for the info.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #588 on: September 16, 2016, 07:21:47 PM »
Dragon Quest 7 is out today for the 3DS and I think I need to up my JRPG cred. I hope to get through it, Etrian Odyssey Untold (restarted since I flubbed studying the game mechanics), and Shin Megami Tensei 4 before I retire the 3DS.

XCOM 2 is almost done and I really liked it but its learning curve was a bit odd just like the first. Oh well. Smooshing evil aliens in the face with a magic laser shotgun is fun.

My girlfriend and I got the Wii U up and running and within a 6 hour period we had started up new games of EarthBound and The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD. Hurrah!

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #589 on: September 18, 2016, 12:17:02 AM »
Since 999 was such a bust I decided to re-play Persona Q. This time I'm playing the Persona 4 route (I played 3 last time) and on hard. Not sure I'm going to keep it on hard though, I'm grinding-averse and have been finding the enemy stats to be waaaaay too high. Lot of getting one-shotted. Might ease up a bit once I unlock more options to minmax my characters though, we'll see.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #590 on: September 18, 2016, 01:27:53 PM »
Defeated the TLB of Etrian Odyssey after a day and a half of attempts and some team rebuilding (swapping the Hexer for a Troubadour). I was able to handle the three dragons fine but gave in and had to use Immunize for this last one for the sake of avoiding
Spoiler:
Necrosis

Off to finish off the last part of the Compendium. I have the Volt Scale now, and I'm about six attempts into the Ice Scale. Just that and the Fire Scale left until 100%. :colonveeplusalpha:

EDIT: Okay, I can't be bothered anymore, so The End! Time for EO2.

My party will be the courageous CUTCRAB the Ronin, the wise GLOWBIRD the War Magus, the agile WOODBAT the Survivalist, the feisty BADBEAK the Gunner, and the amphibious HEXFROG the Hexer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 09:13:07 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

theshirn

« Reply #591 on: September 21, 2016, 12:44:23 AM »
Pretty classic EO2 party except the survivalist - they unfortunately got hammered with the nerfbat a few dozen times after EO1 and never really recovered.  People usually ran a dark hunter there.

Good luck!

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #592 on: September 21, 2016, 07:07:58 PM »
Honestly, I'm pretty much just playing with the classes I didn't get much of a chance to toy around with in the first game. I try pretty hard to go in as blind as possible and not do class research with things like this - part of the fun for me is figuring out what works and such as I go along. Usually I end up looking numbers up for what skills do etc around the postgame sometime, although I peeked early in EO1 after dumping a bunch of points into Provoke and becoming convinced it wasn't actually doing anything. It wasn't. :V
Let's fight.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #593 on: September 21, 2016, 09:09:04 PM »
Since 999 was such a bust I decided to re-play Persona Q. This time I'm playing the Persona 4 route (I played 3 last time) and on hard. Not sure I'm going to keep it on hard though, I'm grinding-averse and have been finding the enemy stats to be waaaaay too high
I never found I needed to grind in PQ, but it's mostly because there are exploitable tools (Instant kills destroy random encounters throughout the entire game, and then Poison's just really solid).  If you don't do those though I can definitely see its balance being unfortunate; they really did make things too bulky to take on 'legitimately' otherwise in most cases.

Dungeon design's top notch though and there's some good writing in it though so hey.

Also: Ace Attourney 6 was fantastic for anyone who was worried.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #594 on: September 21, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
I never found I needed to grind in PQ, but it's mostly because there are exploitable tools (Instant kills destroy random encounters throughout the entire game, and then Poison's just really solid).  If you don't do those though I can definitely see its balance being unfortunate; they really did make things too bulky to take on 'legitimately' otherwise in most cases.

Dungeon design's top notch though and there's some good writing in it though so hey.

Also: Ace Attourney 6 was fantastic for anyone who was worried.

Yeah, I'm nearing the end of the second dungeon and have found that I'm not worried about combat anymore. I've got all of my shit set such that I'm not really ever threatened by identified enemies and can grind down bosses, so I should be more or less good to go. And my sustainability is only going to get better from here as MP-restoring abilities become more common.

Man, the dungeon design is addictive. The way shortcuts loop back really makes the game hard to put down. "Just a little deeper and I'll stop...". I enjoyed making the maps the first time, but I decided to import my map data and I'm also enjoying just blasting through floors as fast as possible.

As for the writing, yeah, it's interesting. Some characters (Chie, Teddie) are so two-dimensional and irritating that their mere existence actively makes the game worse. Others (Aigis, Fuuka, Ken) are much more likable and interesting than they are in their own game. Whether or not the fan service bits are really fun or really tedious seems to directly correlate to how much Teddie is allowed to talk, but when it's fun it's really fun. So far I haven't noticed much that's different from the Persona 3 run, but it's been long enough since I did that that I could just be forgetting stuff.

Teewee

• In the forest, lazing around...
  • ...building nothing but clay castles.
« Reply #595 on: September 21, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »
Been playing the PC port of Conception 2, am near the endgame. I'm impressed at how well they managed to optimize that game; runs butter-smooth on my pc, even in fullscreen. Though after the latest update patch, I can only run it at a good speed when its in windowed mode :/ Apparently that widescreen fix caused a major performance drop, since my specs are too high for that to really be expected. :/

Also played some Tales of the Abyss for 3DS. Hoping Namco gets to porting it to PC; its fun on the 3DS, but I prefer to game on my pc. :v

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #596 on: September 22, 2016, 03:31:04 AM »
Been playing the PC port of Conception 2, am near the endgame. I'm impressed at how well they managed to optimize that game; runs butter-smooth on my pc, even in fullscreen. Though after the latest update patch, I can only run it at a good speed when its in windowed mode :/ Apparently that widescreen fix caused a major performance drop, since my specs are too high for that to really be expected. :/

Also played some Tales of the Abyss for 3DS. Hoping Namco gets to porting it to PC; its fun on the 3DS, but I prefer to game on my pc. :v
I think there might be PS2 emulators that let you use an actual disc, so you could get the original version of the game and play it that way if I'm not wrong?  Not sure though.
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
« Reply #597 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:03 PM »
I just managed to get an achievement in Europa Universalis that I wasn't even attempting to obtain.

'One Family to Rule them All' - Have your Dynasty on 8 thrones at the same time.

I was playing as Bavaria; a HRE semi-minor.  [5 provinces is generally a minor but the HRE is filled with states so small that you're actually a regional power; albeit one wedged between two majors]. Bavaria starts out the game with the same Dynasty as Denmark; who is currently heading the Kalmar Union. The Von Wittelsbaches. [Spelling?]

So that's 4 thrones. Mine; Denmark; Norway and Sweden. Usually; Sweden pretty quickly breaks free and puts it's own king on the throne however. This time, however; Denmark managed to keep Sweden under control.

Then they got their dynasty on the throne of Pomerania and Brunswick [Northern HRE states].

Then Brunswick spread the family to Wutturmberg's throne. [Near me]

Then, a neighbouring Theocracy; when it's archbishop died; chose the option for a successor of 'A noble from a foreign country'. With so many countries of my dynasty around, of course it picked one. And thus; without any actual effort from me at all to achive it; I obtained an achivement that is usually aimed for as Austria and the infamous Hasbsurgs; and only 1.5% of owners of the game have.

For reference; I only have 3 achievements rarer than that; and since this game's been around 3 years now [I should have 4 but I forgot to Raze Beijing before forming Qing :/]; it's a pretty good indicator of difficulty. [Or at least tedium]. One achivement that's been in the game since release has only a 0.3% rate of being obtained...
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:43:38 PM by Raikaria »

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

theshirn

« Reply #598 on: September 22, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
Honestly, I'm pretty much just playing with the classes I didn't get much of a chance to toy around with in the first game. I try pretty hard to go in as blind as possible and not do class research with things like this - part of the fun for me is figuring out what works and such as I go along. Usually I end up looking numbers up for what skills do etc around the postgame sometime, although I peeked early in EO1 after dumping a bunch of points into Provoke and becoming convinced it wasn't actually doing anything. It wasn't. :V
You can generally get away with this attitude for the maingames of each, so go nuts! :V  It also helps tremendously that as you get farther in the games, the number of trap skills falls off pretty sharply, so you don't have to be as worried as long as you have some idea of what you want each character to do.  Of course, EO2 is a broken mess for a ton of reasons, but that shouldn't stop you.

mad hype for eo5 tho

Pywackett-Barchetta

• Icelandic Elf Inspector
  • G-A-M-E O-V-E-R
    • Tumblr
« Reply #599 on: September 23, 2016, 01:42:35 AM »
I've been playing lots of NASCAR games from a decade or more ago, but since I'm still watching the current races so often and don't have the budget to buy the new one that's $60, I finally buckled and bought NASCAR '15 Victory Edition, which I went into knowing it's a crappy reskin of the same game from 2011, but still wanting something to fill in the gap. The presentation is excellent, the roster is accurate, a few rookie drivers and Xfinity Series drivers that weren't actually in that season got promoted to playable in the Sprint Cup (the game's only cup: most games only include this one as it's what most people think of when they think NASCAR, but a good few titles have also included the Busch/Xfinity Series and the truck races, which have their own sets of drivers and tracks), and there's a lot of attention to detail on almost everything!

And by almost, I mean the one point where they made no effort at all is the gameplay, primarily the AI. They awkwardly line up in a row and stay there the whole race. None of them attempt to pass. Or move. Or win. It looks like when I was a kid and had pack racing by just jamming the cars together and moving them all in one handful around the floor as one solid group. The difficulty settings are "they do nothing while you pass them and wait for you to win" or "they will forsake winning and go berserk, attempting to destroy you first and foremost". It's genuinely as bad as I was told, but I still wanted something stopgap while I'm waiting for other stuff to go on sale, so I'm mildly okay with it. There's gotta be mods or something to fix it up.

However, I did start up the first GRID again with a fresh career file, since my old one registers as corrupted. It's exactly as fantastic as I remember. If you're looking for an arcadey racing game with a little bit of everything, I'd highly recommend GRID 1. (GRID Autosport's still my go-to for more realistic motorsport.)

And a certain someone on here gave me Deus Ex: The Fall. Terribly constructed game but passed an evening well. It's a fine distraction as long as you don't pay money for it. Sucker someone else into doing it for you.