Author Topic: So, who's watching Death Parade(Death Billards: the series)  (Read 3952 times)

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
So, who's watching Death Parade(Death Billards: the series)
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:56:25 PM »
For the people who don't know what either is, in an Anime Mirai, an event for future animators, people are given a fixed amount of money and they have to animate a oneshot anime. One of these was called Death Billards. In this show, two people find themselves at a mysterious bar somehow and the bartender makes them play a game with their lives on the line. I can't really tell you much more than that without spoiling. Anyway, I thought it was a great watch.  Now, we have a series about it. It seems to be about different people showing up in the bar, and it looks like they're going to have a larger cast than the oneshot looking at the OP. OP feels weird though.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
Re: So, who's watching Death Parade(Death Billards: the series)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
I watched the first episode, and it managed to keep me interested to continue. It certainly is weird, but it's original.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 10:12:52 PM »
The OP was
Spoiler:
a troll because yeah no that's not the tone of the show at all. I admit I thought I was having a nightmare when I saw it the first time, which means it worked pretty dang well!
:fail:

I do wonder what the non-game episodes will look like. Either way, execution's not perfect but the subject matter is waaaaay too interesting for this show to not be good.

I hope the stories won't get too predictable though. Got a pretty good handle on this last one more or less immediately -
Spoiler:
the guy was repulsive and violent (hello stabbing attempt) on the outside but nothing's wrong on the inside, like in the OVA where the old guy was a lot more well behaved. I think the girl went to hell because she didn't actually cheat on him, just felt like kicking him when he was down for having the nerve to doubt their relationship (when in reality it might have been justified for him to do so).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 10:14:54 PM by BT »

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:57:39 AM »
I watched the first episode, and it managed to keep me interested to continue. It certainly is weird, but it's original.

I recommend the OVA. I liked it a lot.

The OP was
Spoiler:
a troll because yeah no that's not the tone of the show at all. I admit I thought I was having a nightmare when I saw it the first time, which means it worked pretty dang well!
:fail:

I do wonder what the non-game episodes will look like. Either way, execution's not perfect but the subject matter is waaaaay too interesting for this show to not be good.

I hope the stories won't get too predictable though. Got a pretty good handle on this last one more or less immediately -
Spoiler:
the guy was repulsive and violent (hello stabbing attempt) on the outside but nothing's wrong on the inside, like in the OVA where the old guy was a lot more well behaved. I think the girl went to hell because she didn't actually cheat on him, just felt like kicking him when he was down for having the nerve to doubt their relationship (when in reality it might have been justified for him to do so).

Yeah, I thought the OP was kinda an odd choice too.

EDIT: How'd you guys like the 2nd episode? I thought it was interesting as a behind the scenes thing, but getting rid of a lot of the mystery that made the OVA interesting is something I don't know how to feel about. Not that it wasn't something that had to come, but I'm not sure the 2nd episode was the best place for it. I'm not sure where the series is going to go, but I'm going to keep watching.

If you guys plan to watch the OVA I would definitely watch it before the 2nd episode(before the 1st would be preferable too.)

Double EDIT: Has interest in the series died down? How sad. I liked this episode more than the past two. It's much more
Spoiler:
heartwarming
and had less
Spoiler:
drama
.  Not what the whole
Spoiler:
plastic surgury bit
was supposed to do, but I still liked the episode.  Oh yeah, as before, you guys may want to watch the credits if you don't normally, it covers
Spoiler:
their date
and as before, there are scenes after the credits.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:06:03 PM by hyorinryu »

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
Oh gosh this episode.

Spoiler:
Back to the strong subject matter we go. I like how the outcome (heaven vs. hell) was kind of predictable but you're still left wondering if this is how it should be, especially after that last scene with the string-tugging.

Re: Last episode's
Spoiler:
plastic surgery
-
Spoiler:
the childhood friend decided her crush was big enough that she'd undergo plastic surgery to make the dude date her. Dude realized that this happened, but decided to date her anyway. It was really sweet?

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 01:14:38 AM »
Oh gosh this episode.

Spoiler:
Back to the strong subject matter we go. I like how the outcome (heaven vs. hell) was kind of predictable but you're still left wondering if this is how it should be, especially after that last scene with the string-tugging.

Re: Last episode's
Spoiler:
plastic surgery
-
Spoiler:
the childhood friend decided her crush was big enough that she'd undergo plastic surgery to make the dude date her. Dude realized that this happened, but decided to date her anyway. It was really sweet?

I thought this episode was okay. I was wondering if they going to have the participants be complete strangers again.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 04:35:31 AM »
I was thinking having less stereotypical characters would be cool

but on second thought, exploring the humanity of normal people is a pretty big theme of Death Parade.

I wonder how they're going to vary this series up, though. Because right now every episode is just a new set of characters repeating different games with the same rules.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:37:15 AM by Rotten-senpai »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 04:39:19 AM »
seems like they're gonna introduce other arbiters and thus the greater plot with the next episode. hopefully.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Spotty Len

• The Spottiest Len Around
  • Yuuka Master Race
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 12:18:07 AM »
I wish I could find a full version of the opening because damn, I love it.

hyorinryu

• mrgrgr
  • In need of a new sig
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 05:37:03 AM »
I wish I could find a full version of the opening because damn, I love it.

Yeah, all I find on Youtube are rips.

Anyway. I liked how the fighting game
Spoiler:
used the kids a mother as their special moves. Gave it sort of campy?(is that the word I'm looking for) feel. Kinda felt like they were making fun of them.

*currently under repair*
Puzzle Dragon stuff