Author Topic: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?  (Read 391441 times)

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?
« on: May 16, 2013, 02:31:43 AM »
Touhou 13.5 will be released soon. And no party so far has shown any intention to make the English patch.

The basic requirements of decrypting, hacking and encrypting are no more difficult for HM than other Tasofro games. The Chinese community expect they should produce a Chinese patch soon after release; they will be able to supply the necessary tools.

The real difficulty for the English patch comes from one of the game's stylish choices: most of the dialogue in game will be displayed in vertical word balloons. Hacking the game to display horizontal text and still look good would be a highly difficult task.

You can see an example of the vertical text in this Story Mode selection screenshot:
http://www.tasofro.net/cgi-bin/tasoblo/tasoblo.cgi?mode=image&upfile=67-1.jpg

I'm thinking... is it possible to get around the problem by displaying English vertically? So here's a proposal: someone make a translation mockup of that screenshot, using a heavily italicized font with thin lines, to test what can be achieved.

Hasty translation of the text:
The usually quiet humans and the always energetic youkai, they all seem very excited.

They are all so excited, because the shrine maiden will be dueling her rivals.

Win this fight, and solidify your popularity!
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
Re: Testing out solutions to Touhou 13.5 patch?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
I now came up with this. Couldn't find a good italicized font in my library, though. I will search further.

cuc

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »
Continuing discussion from the Frontpage News "HM Yay" thread. Test screenshots by the Chinese community:

The tools:

Working:

Results:

G_H

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 04:05:52 PM »
Man, I'd like to know how they went about this... Judging from what I can find, this Riatre is a skillful coder. Appears to participate in coding challenges.

cuc

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
He also did coding work on previous Chinese patches for the fighting games.

I'll do as much as I can to help with the communication, this I can assure you.

@Quwanti: Thanks. This one definitely had potential.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:14:00 PM by cuc »

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
A complete aside, but would these tools also work on tasofro's earlier Satori Mental Education game (古明地さとりの情操教育) from C82? I know some people that would've loved to get an extract of the character portraits at the very least.

cuc

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »
This hasn't been tested yet. Maybe later.

Since your purpose is just extracting the portraits, does TexMod work with that game?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 05:20:23 PM by cuc »

fsvgm777

• One of the only Touhou fans from Luxembourg... I guess.
  • Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 08:46:07 PM »
Someone in the HM Yay thread suggested having the translations as subtitles instead of modifying the game files. Here's how it could look like:

Intro:

Beginning of a fight:

(note: the two screenshots are from my gameplay video, the subtitles were added through an external Avisynth function called SubtitleEx, which is invoked 4 times in the bottom screenshot)

G_H

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 12:23:31 AM »
That looks very nice. Something like this with an overlay via Direct3D hooks could do the job just fine. Leaves the original completely intact, too.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:48:23 AM »
Oh that looks good. Anyone tried this with dialogue?

AJS

• Danmakufu Scripter
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 03:50:30 AM »
Oh that looks good. Anyone tried this with dialogue?
I don't believe that's possible yet.  Dialogue has only been seen through screenshots thus far.  All we have is the demos to work off of, which don't have it.  Wait til the actual game comes out.  Though for dialogue, I suppose what they could do is they could display the text under the speaking character's feet, or above their head--wherever is more convenient.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 01:24:17 PM »
I don't believe that's possible yet.  Dialogue has only been seen through screenshots thus far. 

Can someone post a pic?

Also, what's being used to edit the code?

Lukesky180

• Knight of the Hungry Ghost
  • Yuyuko-sama!
    • HSE-Endeavor's Robotics Team
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2013, 12:53:20 AM »
I am really hoping on the tools of the Chinese community.

Although I really think that the subtitles would work, although I want to ask for an explanation on how it would work...
>This is the little mistress.
>Oh, hello little one!
Is this my dream, the destiny to behold?
~Sister of Scarlet~

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »
Hmm, I'm not too sure if vertical works... Like you said, it would be highly difficult, and I don't think we want the players to stretch their necks and read it downwards like that. ;~; Maybe there's a code to check if the message should be displayed horizontally or vertically inside the system? I agree with what Quwanti's showing, although it might be a bit hard to read if the text is more than that when the game is released...

The most I could do for retaining the text box is to show it like this.  ^_^;; (I think I should put the text a bit smaller for that one, but the general idea is there)

If it's possible to change the textbox layout (Which I am guessing it requires a bit of coordinate fix...), I hope this would suffice, having enough room to show the portrait, and have plenty of space for the text so it wouldn't look too squishy. D:

Just some weirdo, move along!

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »
Hmm, I'm not too sure if vertical works... Like you said, it would be highly difficult, and I don't think we want the players to stretch their necks and read it downwards like that. ;~; Maybe there's a code to check if the message should be displayed horizontally or vertically inside the system? I agree with what Quwanti's showing, although it might be a bit hard to read if the text is more than that when the game is released...

The most I could do for retaining the text box is to show it like this.  ^_^;; (I think I should put the text a bit smaller for that one, but the general idea is there)

If it's possible to change the textbox layout (Which I am guessing it requires a bit of coordinate fix...), I hope this would suffice, having enough room to show the portrait, and have plenty of space for the text so it wouldn't look too squishy. D:
Oh my gosh. I'm just so excited. So does someone have the ability to make these changes?
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »
Maybe there's a code to check if the message should be displayed horizontally or vertically inside the system?

Yeah I'd like to know this myself. There has to be some way to exit text layout and position.

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 12:59:27 AM »
The thing is, aren't Chinese people perfectly fine with vertical text?
Would they actually bother making the game display horizontal text?
Signature

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 01:16:47 AM »
The thing is, aren't Chinese people perfectly fine with vertical text?
Would they actually bother making the game display horizontal text?

But there must be a line of code to manipulate text format. If we can get that, then we're golden.

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 04:12:21 PM »
AHAHA I'm not sure where do I post this, so I'll just put it here. 8DDD

Anyways, since Hopeless Masquerade is out, I'm thinking of the layout design for the text. For those who played the game, it's mostly vertical, even the dialogue. I hope there's a code somewhere which manipulates the text format, like Savory said. ovo/

So I just came here with a few ideas in mind. ^_^; Like, let's take this and this as an example. Keep in mind that my Japanese is horribly terrible so the text is most likely wrong. 8D;

For these kind of text, they are most likely images, so they're easy enough. If we can only do it vertically, then this is an option, maybe?

If you are able to position your text freely without any cut-offs, maybe this works? I'm basing this from Soku's style of designing. ^_^;

For the dialogue, I don't think we could do it vertically, otherwise it would be very hard to read. I was thinking of going for this kind of design, but I can't say for sure if the text box size are able to be manipulated with numbers, or the text box are just images.

I hope this is possible, though. If used with the former, it could get really cramped. Looks neater too, IMO. XD;;

But yeah, that's what I have so far. Just popping my thoughts here, yes. >A</

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
Center alignment is looking better.

Lukesky180

• Yuyuko-sama!
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2013, 11:44:32 PM »
Second and Fourth screenshots look best to me.

So any news about tools or progress?
>Oh, hello little one!
~Sister of Scarlet~

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 01:28:10 PM »
First and third for me, but fourth is fine. I just don't like the second.

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »
I assume that the after battle newspaper doesn't really help, hmmm.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
Aren't the newspapers one big graphic? If there isn't a way to edit that, then how about adding subtitles?

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2013, 06:52:08 PM »
The third screen shot is perfectly fine. I believe that's how most doujinshi scanlations work anyways and I had no problems reading them there at all. I'm sure after some testing it can work out.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
I'm fine with all options except for the first screenshot. Seriously, that's a little hard to read.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 07:54:12 PM »
Aren't the newspapers one big graphic? If there isn't a way to edit that, then how about adding subtitles?
After taking another look it indeed only consists of images. At least the text is.

and
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/8382/33608408.png

Ciel

• Green-Eyed Jealousy
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 04:02:04 PM »
Thank you very much for the comments, everybody~ It means alot!

After taking another look it indeed only consists of images. At least the text is.

and
http://imageshack.us/a/img838/8382/33608408.png
Where did you get those? O_O What extractor did you use to get them, if you don't mind me asking?

The third screen shot is perfectly fine. I believe that's how most doujinshi scanlations work anyways and I had no problems reading them there at all. I'm sure after some testing it can work out.
True, but like I said, I'm afraid it will get a bit cramped since there are words which are a bit long when translated to English. ;~; Here's an example screenshot.

For this one, it looks alright but... I have to expand the speech bubble a little so that 'yourselves' would fit in it. It's possible that when hacking starts, the font size would be smaller, but yeah, I'm just worried that if this format is used, it might look choppy and the text has to be squeezed. ^_^;

This one has more space, and I just flipped the textbox instead of expanding it, and you could put an extra line in it, but it also requires a bit more work to do involving coding, not to mention it's a bit 'unfaithful' to the original. D:

But yes, I'm throwing ideas around before the tools get released. =];;

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
You can count on me to help with the patch, well the non-technical part at least. :V

Where did you get those? O_O What extractor did you use to get them, if you don't mind me asking?
True, but like I said, I'm afraid it will get a bit cramped since there are words which are a bit long when translated to English. ;~; Here's an example screenshot.
With a tool called texmod. It's not really usefull, as they aren't extracted directly and first have to be loaded within the game, but at least you can take a quick look to the in-game images.

For this one, it looks alright but... I have to expand the speech bubble a little so that 'yourselves' would fit in it. It's possible that when hacking starts, the font size would be smaller, but yeah, I'm just worried that if this format is used, it might look choppy and the text has to be squeezed. ^_^;

This one has more space, and I just flipped the textbox instead of expanding it, and you could put an extra line in it, but it also requires a bit more work to do involving coding, not to mention it's a bit 'unfaithful' to the original. D:

But yes, I'm throwing ideas around before the tools get released. =];;
Well, after skimming trough Marisa's scenario, the only word wich might be problematic is "expressionless". I guess the horizontal box shouldn't be that much trouble.

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
Well, after skimming trough Marisa's scenario, the only word wich might be problematic is "expressionless". I guess the horizontal box shouldn't be that much trouble.

Well, you could use a shorter synonym.