Author Topic: Touhou Hisoutensoku Monthly Ranbats  (Read 1475 times)

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
Touhou Hisoutensoku Monthly Ranbats
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:11:31 AM »
Hello fellow Soku players! I'm back with a different sort of tournament announcement today, one which may flop or may rekindle some competitive spirit in the Soku community. Ranbats (or ranked battles) are common occurrences in arcades across the world. The idea is simple, you participate in tournaments and the placing you achieve gives you points in the overall season leaderboard. The specifics of this are still open to suggestions, but I'll lay out the basic idea below.

A tournament will occur on the last Saturday of each month. It will be Double Elimination and will require at least 8 participants to proceed, any less and the tournament will not occur that month. Tournament seasons (I will expand on this in a second) will be character locked, which means you must use the same character for the duration of the season. After a new season has started, you are allowed to switch.

A season will last a total of 6 months, meaning you have 6 tournaments to participate in. Typically, the top 8 in a tournament get points (1st getting 8, 8th getting 1) however I'm most likely going to try and be inclusive of any placement. It's awfully discouraging if you consistently place 9th or below, and as such do not want to discourage players from participating. Try to achieve the best you possibly can, focus on trying to beat those in a similar point range to you and it should be pretty fun!

This is the basic idea I have right now, and I am very open to suggestion. Throw any ideas you have my way! For those viewing this who do not have an account, feel free to PM me on irc.rizon.net or in irc.ppirc.net. My nickname is Shimatora on both.

Current suggestions:

[07:18] <beatsstayflowin> shimatora, in addition to points, you need titles and stuff to make points more exciting
[16:45] <EduardoGFS> Shimatora seems good, do you have already thought of something for these titles beats suggested?
[16:46] <EduardoGFS> that could be our own version of the tenco rank, with phantasm and lunatic players, if you hadn't thought of something better yet
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 03:52:12 PM by Shimatora »

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Touhou Hisoutensoku Monthly Ranbats
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
This admittedly feels pretty short-notice for a tournament that's only going to happen once a month. Unless you don't plan on starting until next month, that is. I wonder if a biweekly format would be more convenient, as people will still have enough time to make sure they're available for each tournament, but they'll happen often enough to keep their interest.

That said, I wouldn't mind giving this another go. I still don't know how seriously I can take the game as a whole because of the weather system, but I think I can definitely use it to get me back into the fighting game mindset, especially with Smash coming so soon. It ought to be a good challenge, I'd say.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:58:58 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Shimatora

• I'm not clumsy...
  • Really...!
Re: Touhou Hisoutensoku Monthly Ranbats
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
There are no dates currently set for any of this. So no, it wont be starting this month.

The only reason I currently have it at monthly ranbats is due to how big the community is. Or rather, how big it isn't. I feel that currently, bi-weekly would be far too much.

You should pop on IRC sometime, we'd be happy to have you there.

Visit #sokumaidens on irc.ppirc.net for discussion and matchmaking for a wide variety of fighting games!
Feel free to message me if you need anything!